Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Cristinel Stoica: on 3/13/18 at 10:58am UTC, wrote Dear Sylvia, Very good essay. You said "If we want to see things for what...

Don Limuti: on 2/27/18 at 4:26am UTC, wrote Hi Silvia, I know when an essay is good when I read the whole and feel as...

Steven Andresen: on 2/22/18 at 6:36am UTC, wrote Dear Silvia If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in the...

jason Roy: on 2/20/18 at 5:02am UTC, wrote Get the simplest method where you can get online tutorial about how to ...

Steve Dufourny: on 2/19/18 at 13:21pm UTC, wrote Hello dear Mrs Wenmackers, Congratulations for your essay, I liked it a...

Dean Rickles: on 2/16/18 at 10:49am UTC, wrote Hi Sylvia. Liked the essay a lot. But curious as to why you line project...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 2/14/18 at 1:17am UTC, wrote Respected Prof Sylvia Wenmackers, You are exactly correct in the...

Juan Ramón González Álvarez: on 2/6/18 at 23:24pm UTC, wrote Is physical chemistry more applied or less abstract than solid state...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in First Things First: The...

Georgina Woodward: "'Energy' can be a measurable. Measured or calculated, number value assigned..." in Cosmological Koans

Lorraine Ford: "Georgina, Energy is merely a category of information in the same sense..." in Cosmological Koans

Joe Fisher: "Dear Reality Fans, The real VISIBLE Universe never “started out.”..." in First Things First: The...

isabell ella: "If you are facing Cash app related problems and want to get support..." in Cosmic Dawn, Parallel...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Michael Hussey: "https://www.google.com" in New Nuclear "Magic...

Michael Hussey: "it is really difficult to understand what is all about all the things..." in New Nuclear "Magic...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
July 19, 2019

CATEGORY: FQXi Essay Contest - Spring, 2017 [back]
TOPIC: Seek Fundamentality, and Distrust It by Sylvia Wenmackers [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Sylvia Wenmackers wrote on Feb. 2, 2018 @ 18:49 GMT
Essay Abstract

Physics has inherited two projects from the ancient natural philosophers: one searches for concrete elements, the other for abstract principles. At least since Comte, there is a prevalent, reductionist idea that both the natural world itself and our theories are organized in strata, which match perfectly. By making this assumption explicit, we can investigate it critically and consider an alternative picture: that of physics as a platform game. This enables us to embrace pluralism about theoretical foundations and to reject overly bold claims about what is fundamental in the concrete world.

Author Bio

Sylvia Wenmackers is a professor in the Philosophy of Science at KU Leuven (Belgium). She studied Theoretical Physics and obtained a Ph.D. in Physics (2008) as well as in Philosophy (2011). In her current project, she explores the foundations of physics, with a special interest in infinitesimals and probabilities.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Marcel-Marie LeBel wrote on Feb. 3, 2018 @ 17:04 GMT
Sylvia,

Excellent essay. The power of philosophy is there. Two concepts of natural metaphysics were “substance” and “cause”. The universe is *spontaneous* and the logical causality is built in.

In my essay I claim the following: “...we have something like the “how gravity works” of Newton, the “how gravity works” of Einstein, the “how gravity works” (MOND) of Milgrom, etc. Do we really need anymore “how gravity works” theories? These theories are just a sample from a large number of possible theories or descriptions for the very same event. On the other hand, asking the question “why gravity works” would address the only possible logical reason for this one event to happen by itself.”

The essay suggests such single substance, single cause and single logical operation. These are, I believe, ontological fundamentals.

All the bests,

Marcel,

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Member Tejinder Pal Singh wrote on Feb. 3, 2018 @ 17:53 GMT
Dear Professor Wenmackers,

I read your essay with pleasure - it is a brilliant piece of work. Absolutely spot on in addressing the question asked in the contest, and providing new insights. My compliments!

With regards,

Tejinder

Bookmark and Share

Francesco D'Isa wrote on Feb. 5, 2018 @ 13:05 GMT
Dear Sylvia,

I really appreciated your essay, it's interesting and well written, I wish you all the best for the contest! I've to say that I loved your style as well: the platform metaphor was great and it was funny to find xkcd quoted in an essay.

You write that

> ‘Fundamental’ can be used as a comparative notion.

and I completely agree; I reach similar conclusions in my essay about Nagarjuna and absolute relativism. Then in the end you say,

> This allows me to explain the title of this essay: while we look for what is fundamental, we should not jump to conclusions about the physical world once we believe we’ve found something. ‘Fundamental’ is best left as an epistemic term, rather than an ontological claim .

I also agree, but in a more broader sense I wonder: we have good and sound reasons to distrust our means to know the world, but does not every refusal of any epistemic > ontological link lead to skepticism? Of course, skepticism is always an honest philosophical point of view, but it should lead to distrust himself as well.

All the best,

Francesco D'Isa

Bookmark and Share

Juan Ramón González Álvarez wrote on Feb. 6, 2018 @ 23:24 GMT
Is physical chemistry more applied or less abstract than solid state physics? In what planet? The rest of the Fig 3 diagram is misleading as well.

The particles described in gauge quantum field theory aren't real. E.g. the electron that appears in the Lagrangian of the Standard Model is not a real electron like those one can find and measure in the laboratory, but a fictitious and unphysical electron named bare electron. It is only after a renormalization procedure that those bare electrons are eliminated from the equations and replaced by real electrons. Regarding the footnote 8, let me emphasize that what we measure in the lab are particles, not fields.

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Feb. 14, 2018 @ 01:17 GMT
Respected Prof Sylvia Wenmackers,

You are exactly correct in the OP...."Physics has inherited two projects from the ancient natural philosophers: one searches for concrete elements, the other for abstract principles. At least since Comte, there is a prevalent, reductionist idea that both the natural world itself and our theories are organized in strata, which match perfectly.'..... Very...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Member Dean Rickles wrote on Feb. 16, 2018 @ 10:49 GMT
Hi Sylvia. Liked the essay a lot. But curious as to why you line project (2) up with epistemological only? Who said the principles (archai) can't be viewed ontological? What is the argument? I give a couple of examples in my own essay, and a few others have done the same.

Best,

Dean

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny wrote on Feb. 19, 2018 @ 13:21 GMT
Hello dear Mrs Wenmackers,

Congratulations for your essay, I liked it a lot.

I am happy to see a belgian thinker, I come from Belgium also, near Bergen in wallonia

Best Regards

Bookmark and Share

Steven Andresen wrote on Feb. 22, 2018 @ 06:36 GMT
Dear Silvia

If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in the final days of the contest, will you consider mine please? I read all essays from those who comment on my page, and if I cant rate an essay highly, then I don’t rate them at all. Infact I haven’t issued a rating lower that ten. So you have nothing to lose by having me read your essay, and everything to...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Don Limuti wrote on Feb. 27, 2018 @ 04:26 GMT
Hi Silvia,

I know when an essay is good when I read the whole and feel as if I learned something. Seek Fundamentality, and Distrust It! The maps of hierarchies and platforms were effective in getting the point across.

Thanks for an excellent essay,

Don Limuti

Bookmark and Share

Cristinel Stoica wrote on Mar. 13, 2018 @ 10:58 GMT
Dear Sylvia,

Very good essay. You said "If we want to see things for what they really are, we must escape the intricate poetry of our language", and indeed we seem to agree that mathematics provides a clearer, though more abstract, language. We agree also on "it seems wiser to reserve the adjective 'fundamental' to abstract, formal and mathematical entities", and that a pluralist view, acknowledging subjectivity, contextualism, and relativity, is essential. You said "Fundamental (or funny, beautiful, or important) to whom? And in what context?". We have personalized Ockham's razors, shaped by our own personal experiences, which are subjective. So "what's fundamental" is as relative as "what's simple". I also liked your patchwork view of physics showing more applied theories and subfields. Yes, I think it is justified to see the fundamental [at other levels too]. Here are some possible updates to the xkcd "Comte’s hierarchy" [1, 2] :)

Good luck with the finals!

Best wishes,

Cristi Stoica, Indra's net

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.