Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Juan Ramón González Álvarez: on 2/26/18 at 19:50pm UTC, wrote "For many centuries the goal of science has been to move towards more and...

Kamal Rajpal: on 2/22/18 at 14:02pm UTC, wrote Dear Samir D. Mathur, A black hole consists of Dark Matter, please read:...

Steven Andresen: on 2/22/18 at 6:58am UTC, wrote Dear Samir If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in the...

David Brown: on 2/20/18 at 15:11pm UTC, wrote "The conjecture of fuzzball complementarity allows us to recover, in an...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 2/13/18 at 12:16pm UTC, wrote Respected Prof Samir D. Mathur Sab, Very nice OP and interesting...

Wayne Lundberg: on 2/11/18 at 16:25pm UTC, wrote Prof Mather, Samir, I thoroughly enjoyed your essay, which focuses on a...

Lawrence Crowell: on 2/7/18 at 20:02pm UTC, wrote Dear Samir, I enjoyed your paper. I have a paper in this contest that...

Narendra Nath: on 2/6/18 at 5:43am UTC, wrote I went through the text of the entire essay. It appears to describe the...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Jorma Seppaenen: "Dear Georgina, I think you are perfectly right about the estimate of age..." in Why Time Might Not Be an...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Georgina Woodward: "Yes. The estimate of age of the visible universe, and age of stars, other..." in Why Time Might Not Be an...

akash hasan: "Some students have an interest in researching and space exploration. I..." in Announcing Physics of the...

Michael Jordan: "Excellent site. Plenty of helpful information here. I am sending it to some..." in Review of "Foundations of...

Anonymous: "Excellent site. Plenty of helpful information here. I am sending it to some..." in Constructing a Theory of...

Robert McEachern: ""all experiments have pointed towards this and there is no way to avoid..." in Review of "Foundations of...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

Dissolving Quantum Paradoxes
The impossibility of building a perfect clock could help explain away microscale weirdness.

FQXi FORUM
May 25, 2019

CATEGORY: FQXi Essay Contest - Spring, 2017 [back]
TOPIC: The fundamental questions for tomorrow by Samir D. Mathur [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Samir D. Mathur wrote on Jan. 31, 2018 @ 20:32 GMT
Essay Abstract

Most of the history of physics has been focused on the question: given a set of initial conditions, what is the future evolution of the system? But this quest will come to end at some point, when we would have found the laws governing such evolution. I argue that the really fundamental and interesting questions start at that point. These are questions of the following kind. What determines the initial state of the Universe? What principle fixed the laws of evolution to the ones that we have found? I will argue that there are places in physics today where we can start to explore such questions. In particular the recent progress in the quantum theory of black holes may offer novel ideas in these directions.

Author Bio

Samir D. Mathur is a physicist interested in black holes and string theory. He has an M.S. from IIT Kanpur, and did his doctoral work at the Tata Institute, Bombay. He has held postdoctoral positions at the Tata Institute and Harvard, and Assistant and Associate professor positions at MIT. He is currently a Professor of Physics at The Ohio State University.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Narendra Nath wrote on Feb. 6, 2018 @ 05:43 GMT
I went through the text of the entire essay. It appears to describe the develpments in Physics in a routinue mannar. There is casualness in treating a topic. Particle Physics connection with cosmology needs elaboration of how one may unite particle stuctures with things on the cosmic scale. There is need to discuss the four types of interactions that appear togovern the obseved processes. As one knows gravity still defies unification with others.Here,one can say something about the the universatility of relative field strengths as measured now with what one may expect in a period closer to creation of the universe. Do you think, the relative field strengths remained unchanged from the ealry universe till the present times billions of years later? What role the vacuum plays as one finds mass in an atom remain clustered within a minuscular nuclear volume . The same appears to e true even on the cosmic scale. Dominance of vacuum has any significance on the totality of the microscopic and macroscopic scenario?

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Lawrence B. Crowell wrote on Feb. 7, 2018 @ 20:02 GMT
Dear Samir,

I enjoyed your paper. I have a paper in this contest that involves quantum hair on black holes. Quantum hair and fuzzballs are of course much the same category of physics.

I have a few comments and questions. The scalar fields adjust the cosmological parameter Λ(φ,dot-φ) such that as energy is larger the pressure is more negative. The roll off from inflation is a case where dot-φ < 0 and the cosmological parameter decreased slowly. Then reheating is a rapid drop with dot-φ

Bookmark and Share

Wayne R Lundberg wrote on Feb. 11, 2018 @ 16:25 GMT
Prof Mather, Samir,

I thoroughly enjoyed your essay, which focuses on a key topic for cosmology and its mechanisms, particularly the preservation of quantum information within a BH. I recognize that much of the current status points -again- to a need for a causal particle theory which _includes_ QC/ED.

You mention, near the end of sec.2 "..ask ..if the Std Model of particle...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Feb. 13, 2018 @ 12:16 GMT
Respected Prof Samir D. Mathur Sab,

Very nice OP and interesting observation Prof Samir...." Most of the history of physics has been focused on the question: given a set of initial conditions, what is the future evolution of the system? But this quest will come to end at some point, when we would have found the laws governing such evolution....."

By the way Dynamic Universe Model...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

David Brown wrote on Feb. 20, 2018 @ 15:11 GMT
"The conjecture of fuzzball complementarity allows us to recover, in an approximate way, the classical dynamics of the black hole interior." What empirical evidence supports the hypothesis that a black hole has an interior of any type?

Bookmark and Share

Steven Andresen wrote on Feb. 22, 2018 @ 06:58 GMT
Dear Samir

If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in the final days of the contest, will you consider mine please? I read all essays from those who comment on my page, and if I cant rate an essay highly, then I don’t rate them at all. Infact I haven’t issued a rating lower that ten. So you have nothing to lose by having me read your essay, and everything to...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Kamal L Rajpal wrote on Feb. 22, 2018 @ 14:02 GMT
Dear Samir D. Mathur,

A black hole consists of Dark Matter, please read: http://vixra.org/pdf/1303.0207v3.pdf

Quantum Mechanics claims that an electron can be both spin-up and spin-down at the same time. In my conceptual physics Essay on Electron Spin, I have proved that this is not true. Please read: https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3145

Kamal Rajpal

Bookmark and Share

Juan Ramón González Álvarez wrote on Feb. 26, 2018 @ 19:50 GMT
"For many centuries the goal of science has been to move towards more and more fundamental laws that will explain all of nature". This is a very narrow (and wrong) conception of science. Only fundamental science has that goal.

"What determines the initial data for the evolution? What principle chooses the laws of dynamical evolution to be the one that we found?". Why would the...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.