Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Juan Ramón González Álvarez: on 3/1/18 at 20:08pm UTC, wrote Meaning? Meaning of what? Meaning of something. This...

Luca Valeri: on 2/26/18 at 23:17pm UTC, wrote Your short nice Essay deserves more than the actual rating. It is certainly...

Steven Andresen: on 2/22/18 at 7:10am UTC, wrote Dear Todd If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in the...

Todd Duncan: on 2/13/18 at 5:59am UTC, wrote Hi Christophe, Thank you, yes I'm looking forward to developing these...

Christophe Tournayre: on 2/11/18 at 6:08am UTC, wrote Dear Todd, Your essay is interesting. It would have been worth to develop...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 2/10/18 at 2:02am UTC, wrote Respected Prof Todd L Duncan Good idea sir, " intuitive ideas of meaning...

Joe Fisher: on 2/1/18 at 16:51pm UTC, wrote Dear Dr Todd L Duncan, FQXi.org is clearly seeking to confirm whether...

Dizhechko Semyonovich: on 2/1/18 at 15:35pm UTC, wrote Dear Todd L. Duncan your essay will encourage discussion along lines new...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "It's difficult for the acrobats to see each other. I want a 3rd party..." in Bonus Koan: Distant...

Georgina Woodward: "Thinking observers are going to notice their own and the other's arms..." in Bonus Koan: Distant...

Lorraine Ford: "Ian, I’m sorry for going overboard on the “physicists think that”..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

andrea gonzalez: "Interesting stuff to read. Keep it up. If want to collect free gift card..." in Memory, Causality and...

Ian Durham: "Well, Lorraine, if you insist on seeing it that way, I doubt anything I say..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in First Things First: The...

Poker Online: "https://www.jakartapoker.net/" in Downward causation:...

Enquire us: "Your Ro system desires regular maintenance to confirm it’s continually in..." in Agency in the Physical...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
August 24, 2019

CATEGORY: FQXi Essay Contest - Spring, 2017 [back]
TOPIC: What if Meaning is Fundamental by Todd L Duncan [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Todd L Duncan wrote on Jan. 30, 2018 @ 22:35 GMT
Essay Abstract

What if the most fundamental aspect of the universe is something analogous to the meaning of a poem or story? This essay builds on intuitive ideas of meaning related to story in human experience, to imagine a foundation for physics based on universal properties of meaning that are not anthropomorphic.

Author Bio

Todd Duncan teaches physics and astronomy at Pacific University, with a perspective summarized in a recent TEDx talk - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd64CZCckEs. His background includes a Ph.D. in astrophysics from the University of Chicago, an M.Phil. in physics from the University of Chicago, and a B.S. in physics from the University of Illinois.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Jan. 31, 2018 @ 04:37 GMT
Hi Todd,

I just wanted to inform you that there is another essay in this contest with a rather similar message, by a Nobel laureate. So you might want to check out "The Fundamentality of Meaning" by Brian Josephson. I've downloaded your to read.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Todd L Duncan replied on Jan. 31, 2018 @ 05:32 GMT
Hi Jonathan,

Thank you! Yes, I'm very happy to see Brian Josephson's essay as well as several others exploring a similar theme from different perspectives. And in more depth than my brief attempt to frame a possible approach. Looking forward to reading and discussing!

Best regards,

Todd

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau replied on Jan. 31, 2018 @ 07:29 GMT
Much good to read there is..

Plenty to enjoy, there will be.

Have Fun!

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Brian D. Josephson replied on Jan. 31, 2018 @ 11:28 GMT
There are indeed many connections between our two approaches. As I noted, biosemiotics slips meaning in by the way attention to what is meaningful in any given context is needed to achieve a goal, while in regard to your whole-part connection Barad writes of the special way different agencies combine through their 'intra-actions' to create a process. With regard to the meaning of poetry, as referred to in my own essay I have discussed in collaboration with a musicologist the role of music, and concluded that it may be meaningful to some kind of universal mind.

Bookmark and Share

Angelica Mandy Mandy wrote on Jan. 31, 2018 @ 06:25 GMT
Academic need to be scored autonomously. Human raters can best accomplish this by scoring all expositions sequentially for one single attribute at the time top notch all papers for Content. Therefore score all expositions for the Formal necessity next for Development, Structure and Coherence, et cetera till the last Trait.Do my Essay for me

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Feb. 10, 2018 @ 02:02 GMT
Respected Prof Todd L Duncan

Good idea sir, " intuitive ideas of meaning related to story in human experience, to imagine a foundation for physics based on universal properties of meaning that are not anthropomorphic. " By the way...

Here in my essay energy to mass conversion is proposed...……..….. yours is very nice essay best wishes …. I highly appreciate hope your essay...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Christophe Tournayre wrote on Feb. 11, 2018 @ 06:08 GMT
Dear Todd,

Your essay is interesting. It would have been worth to develop your ideas a bit more.

Kind regards,

Christophe

Bookmark and Share

Author Todd L Duncan replied on Feb. 13, 2018 @ 05:59 GMT
Hi Christophe,

Thank you, yes I'm looking forward to developing these ideas more... with the help of the insights from many other thought-provoking essays on this forum!

Kind wishes,

~ Todd

Bookmark and Share

Steven Andresen wrote on Feb. 22, 2018 @ 07:10 GMT
Dear Todd

If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in the final days of the contest, will you consider mine please? I read all essays from those who comment on my page, and if I cant rate an essay highly, then I don’t rate them at all. Infact I haven’t issued a rating lower that ten. So you have nothing to lose by having me read your essay, and everything to...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Luca Valeri wrote on Feb. 26, 2018 @ 23:17 GMT
Your short nice Essay deserves more than the actual rating. It is certainly a line of thought to follow.

I would have loved to write more what I think of your ideas, but i do not have the time.

Luca

Bookmark and Share

Juan Ramón González Álvarez wrote on Mar. 1, 2018 @ 20:08 GMT
Meaning? Meaning of what? Meaning of something. This something is more fundamental than the meaning.

The universe is a physical object that evolves. The story is the evolution of the Universe, not the universe itself.

The example of the poem illustrates this perfectly. We have the fundamental particles grouped in a piece of paper and ink (or alternative way that the poem is stored). The poem itself is a collection of words and punctuation signs with a concrete meaning. So the layers are

particles --> materials --> characters --> meaning

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.