Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Peter Bauch: on 3/11/18 at 20:43pm UTC, wrote -- "The universe is cyclic". This disagrees with the second law of thermo. ...

Juan Ramón González Álvarez: on 3/10/18 at 22:43pm UTC, wrote "The universe is cyclic". This disagrees with the second law of thermo. ...

James Hoover: on 2/26/18 at 0:09am UTC, wrote Thank you, Peter for taking the time to read my essay and for your kind...

Peter Bauch: on 2/25/18 at 22:35pm UTC, wrote Dear James, Thanks for reading/rating my essay and leaving positive...

James Hoover: on 2/24/18 at 3:23am UTC, wrote Peter, As the deadline approaches, I try to revisit all I have reviewed to...

Kamal Rajpal: on 2/22/18 at 17:17pm UTC, wrote Dear Peter Bauch, I have read your Essay and suggest that for conceptual...

Steven Andresen: on 2/22/18 at 7:16am UTC, wrote Dear Peter If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in the...

James Hoover: on 2/20/18 at 20:07pm UTC, wrote Peter, I remember an equally out-of-the-box approach the last time,...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "It's difficult for the acrobats to see each other. I want a 3rd party..." in Bonus Koan: Distant...

Georgina Woodward: "Thinking observers are going to notice their own and the other's arms..." in Bonus Koan: Distant...

Lorraine Ford: "Ian, I’m sorry for going overboard on the “physicists think that”..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

andrea gonzalez: "Interesting stuff to read. Keep it up. If want to collect free gift card..." in Memory, Causality and...

Ian Durham: "Well, Lorraine, if you insist on seeing it that way, I doubt anything I say..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in First Things First: The...

Poker Online: "https://www.jakartapoker.net/" in Downward causation:...

Enquire us: "Your Ro system desires regular maintenance to confirm it’s continually in..." in Agency in the Physical...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
August 24, 2019

CATEGORY: FQXi Essay Contest - Spring, 2017 [back]
TOPIC: Cosmology – the cornerstone of physical reality by Peter Bauch [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Peter Bauch wrote on Jan. 30, 2018 @ 22:35 GMT
Essay Abstract

If any field can be overreaching into all aspects of physics it would be cosmology. A knowledge of the birth of the universe cannot help but be fundamental to physical reality, but the standard cosmological model is by no means written in stone. To make matters worse, the advent of quantum physics has engendered a movement away from conventional cosmology with concepts like the multiverse and the many-worlds interpretation that are as strange as the quantum world appears to be. In this essay I propose a cosmological model to underscore the role which cosmology may play as fundamental to an understanding of quantum entanglement, a physical reality perhaps impossible to reach by any other means.

Author Bio

I studied physics and math for two years at the university level and developed an interest in cosmology.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich wrote on Jan. 31, 2018 @ 12:50 GMT
Peter Bauch, you have a very strong imagination and everything is ahead of you. Doing such thought experiments and reasoning as in an essay, you can make great discoveries in physics. In this will help you familiarity with New Cartesian physics, which is based on the identity of space and matter of Descartes. He says that space is this matter that rotates. Visit my essay and you will find out what radical changes it offers, give a comment and you will get my rating.

Sincerely, Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich.

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Peter Bauch replied on Feb. 4, 2018 @ 21:05 GMT
Dear Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich,

Thanks. Finding out that the universe was small in the past and then extrapolating that to a singularity in my mind lacks imagination and seems to cater to mathematics. Then again, too much imagination will get you 10^500 universes.

Regards, Peter

Bookmark and Share

Author Peter Bauch replied on Feb. 4, 2018 @ 22:48 GMT
Sorry for the last post multiversers. While the multiverse concept seems bizarre I suppose it's not outside the realm of possibility. A more appropriate statement would have been: “too much imagination will get you backwards time travel.”

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich replied on Feb. 5, 2018 @ 04:36 GMT
Peter, Descartes has one universe, in which space is matter. Matter is moving, so space is also moving. Hence, many consecutive universes arise, where each excludes the previous one and assumes the next one, i.e. there is only a moment between the past and the future.

I wish you success! Boris.

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Feb. 1, 2018 @ 16:38 GMT
Dear Peter Bauch,

FQXi.org is clearly seeking to confirm whether Nature is fundamental.

Reliable evidence exists that proves that the surface of the earth was formed millions of years before man and his utterly complex finite informational systems ever appeared on that surface. It logically follows that Nature must have permanently devised the only single physical construct of earth...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Peter Bauch replied on Feb. 4, 2018 @ 21:07 GMT
Hi Joe,

I read your essay and it appears you are saying that it is impossible to get an accurate picture of reality, no matter how much physics you throw at it. Or, in Joespeak: “It am what it am.” That could be true.

Cheers, Peter

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Feb. 8, 2018 @ 12:46 GMT
Dr Peter Bauch

Nice words...." A knowledge of the birth of the universe cannot help but be fundamental to physical reality, but the standard cosmological model is by no means written in stone. To make matters worse, the advent of quantum physics has engendered a movement away from conventional cosmology with concepts like the multiverse and the many-worlds interpretation that are as...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Peter Bauch replied on Feb. 10, 2018 @ 20:42 GMT
Dear Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta,

Thanks for the positive words. You called me “Dr Peter Bauch.” Yes, I earned my doctorate after only two years (see bio) – move over Doogie Howser! Actually, I dropped out in third year. I'll read and comment on your essay.

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Feb. 11, 2018 @ 14:48 GMT
Dear Prof Peter Bauch

Dynamic Universe Model says, “This universe exists now in the present state, it existed earlier, and it will continue to exist in future also in a similar way.” Do you think that the universe has existed eternally in the past or did it have a beginning?

....... Correct sir......

Australian Astronomers published many papers... There were many Galaxies...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Feb. 20, 2018 @ 20:07 GMT
Peter,

I remember an equally out-of-the-box approach the last time, something about separating space and time and gravity. This one too.

There are various concepts of a cyclical universe, like inverted big bang, collisions between our universe and parallel worlds (Steinhardt’s Endless Universe), the big bang as a bridge between endless cycles. Yours I have not been exposed to. It is simpler and perhaps more accessible to us. The BB contains elements that cannot be seen experimentally though perhaps LIGO strives in that direction, it relies on several internal consistencies which connect with observed reality – explanations for dark matter and dark energy and a geometric progression of tidal flow. None of the theories we use to explain the beginning of the universe can be proven. This provides another with a simple logic. We can all learn from one another with the concepts we present, yours as well. Hope you get a chance to check out mine.

Bookmark and Share

Author Peter Bauch replied on Feb. 25, 2018 @ 22:35 GMT
Dear James,

Thanks for reading/rating my essay and leaving positive comments. The current view that space is expanding condemns us to existing in a “bubble” we can never see beyond. You correctly point out that the universe model I have proposed is perhaps more accessible. As you say in your essay, “Can scientists even expect the existence of a visible universe to study in the future to examine what is fundamental?”

Best,

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Steven Andresen wrote on Feb. 22, 2018 @ 07:16 GMT
Dear Peter

If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in the final days of the contest, will you consider mine please? I read all essays from those who comment on my page, and if I cant rate an essay highly, then I don’t rate them at all. Infact I haven’t issued a rating lower that ten. So you have nothing to lose by having me read your essay, and everything to...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Kamal L Rajpal wrote on Feb. 22, 2018 @ 17:17 GMT
Dear Peter Bauch,

I have read your Essay and suggest that for conceptual views on Dark Matter, please read: http://vixra.org/pdf/1303.0207v3.pdf

Quantum Mechanics claims that an electron can be both spin-up and spin-down at the same time. In my conceptual physics Essay on Electron Spin, I have proved that this is not true. Please read: https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3145

Kamal Rajpal

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Feb. 24, 2018 @ 03:23 GMT
Peter,

As the deadline approaches, I try to revisit all I have reviewed to see if I've scored them. I find I did score yours on 2/20/18.

Good luck.

Jim

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Feb. 26, 2018 @ 00:09 GMT
Thank you, Peter for taking the time to read my essay and for your kind words.

Jim

Bookmark and Share

Juan Ramón González Álvarez wrote on Mar. 10, 2018 @ 22:43 GMT
"The universe is cyclic". This disagrees with the second law of thermo.

"The underlying mechanism in the formation of a continuous space is simple geometry". Geometry isn't physics. A physical mechanism is required.

"a 0-D point forms a 1-D line by replicating itself at the speed of light". c is a translation speed not a replication speed. Also a 0-point has zero size and generating a line of size S would require an infinite number of 0-points, which would require an infinite time...

The same for the generation of areas and volumes.

Bookmark and Share

Author Peter Bauch replied on Mar. 11, 2018 @ 20:43 GMT
-- "The universe is cyclic". This disagrees with the second law of thermo.

The second law is not violated here. You're thinking of a cyclic universe which expands and contracts and repeats that process with the entropy compounding with each cycle. In my model, all the forms of matter and energy created in the big bang are eventually evacuated due to the flow of space, leaving only empty space. Entropy is only pertinent to an individual cycle.

--"The underlying mechanism in the formation of a continuous space is simple geometry". Geometry isn't physics. A physical mechanism is required.

The geometry is used with the constraint that the speed of light is not violated (one of the most fundamental laws of physics), which determines the form the geometry takes.

--"a 0-D point forms a 1-D line by replicating itself at the speed of light". c is a translation speed not a replication speed. Also a 0-point has zero size and generating a line of size S would require an infinite number of 0-points, which would require an infinite time...The same for the generation of areas and volumes.

If we imagine a pencil sharpened to a 0-D point and draw a line, that line is a collection of an infinite number of points. The points run smoothly into each other and there is no separation between them. The line has to be drawn with some velocity – it doesn't have to be the speed of light but it can be, as it is in the formation of the prototype particle.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.