Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Ulla Mattfolk: on 3/18/18 at 16:05pm UTC, wrote More facts: Depletion of CLAMP leads to the loss of PCP protein asymmetry,...

Ulla Mattfolk: on 3/14/18 at 17:43pm UTC, wrote I must add some links about 'magneticitry', transport of packages of...

Ulla Mattfolk: on 3/2/18 at 9:20am UTC, wrote There were much fluxes up and down. Some of the top essays were truly bad...

Steven Andresen: on 3/2/18 at 7:56am UTC, wrote Ulla I know the feeling. I started in the middle, then moved to number one...

Ulla Mattfolk: on 2/27/18 at 19:35pm UTC, wrote Thanks Harri. I have thought about imaginary numbers quite a bit. A...

Ulla Mattfolk: on 2/27/18 at 19:32pm UTC, wrote Thanks Jonathan. You had written about carbon, something, which is...

Jouko Tiainen: on 2/27/18 at 8:00am UTC, wrote Ulla Yes I'm a Finn as well I love your paper and its emphasis on LIFE...

Jonathan Dickau: on 2/27/18 at 4:32am UTC, wrote This essay is very interesting Ulla... You have a very innovative approach...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Joe Fisher: "Dear Reality Fans, The real VISIBLE Universe never “started out.”..." in First Things First: The...

isabell ella: "If you are facing Cash app related problems and want to get support..." in Cosmic Dawn, Parallel...

Georgina Woodward: "Quite right Lorraine, ( to be clear perhaps I should have said..." in Cosmological Koans

Lorraine Ford: "Honestly Georgina, Wake up! Change of number is NOT energy." in Cosmological Koans

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Michael Hussey: "https://www.google.com" in New Nuclear "Magic...

Michael Hussey: "it is really difficult to understand what is all about all the things..." in New Nuclear "Magic...

Stefan Weckbach: "I have a problem with the notion of time in the multiverse scenario that..." in First Things First: The...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
July 18, 2019

CATEGORY: FQXi Essay Contest - Spring, 2017 [back]
TOPIC: What is Life? A theory of ”More than everything”! by Ulla Marianne Mattfolk [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk wrote on Jan. 29, 2018 @ 21:33 GMT
Essay Abstract

Are ”less fundamental” things made out of ”more fundamental” ones? Not in Life. Also the ”less fundamental things” never can make up Life - it contains ”More than everything”. While a cell is indeed ”made of atoms”, it is more made of structural coded information with a long history and evolution. Is that process more fundamental than the cell? Is Life fundamental or ”emergent”? Maybe a stupid question? Life is indeed made of atoms, but are atoms the fundamental process of life? No, of course not. Everything is made of the same kinds of atoms. The most fundamental are the physical laws, directing interactions and purposes. Are they the same? I have thought of the magic ”What is Life” for some years now, and exactly the question above. What differ ”living” atoms from ordinary ones? The answer is not in the matter itself, but what is the ”tensions”, ”drive” or ”life force”. What may be the drive? We can see it as a process of limited ”energy”, expressed as number mitoses, quality of Life. We can see it as ”negentropy” with entropy as opposite pole. Synergy maybe? We can see it as ”work for free”, differentiation through error correction, which we call ”adaptation” of a stressed system. We see it as complexity, born from the adaptation, or we can see it as dissipative system, or quantum, non-dissipative dito. What if we see artificial intelligence, ”living”, almost like ”living systems” do? Like Sophia, the first ”robot citizen”, sex-robots, warriors or the nurses helping elders. The emotional part is difficult, because we don't know what it is today, physically. So, let's discuss the ”Life-force”.

Author Bio

Ulla Mattfolk, free scientist, related to Åbo Academy. Finland. MSc. in biology, but I have studied physics in later years, open studies. The aim was to doctorate, see if I will ever have it done. Temporal heading: The Self-healing ability in organisms. I have thought a lot of What is Life, and I draw the coarse lines here. Much more can be said about the fundamentals, but the space is so scare, and it need the outlines, so I leave it like this. Enjoy. Many thanks to Pitkänen, Joseph Kover and Jerry Decker.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Andrew Beckwith wrote on Jan. 30, 2018 @ 01:09 GMT

What are the fundamentals of non-commuting charachters? Like a phase space, with ”lifting”? We

have also different kinds of Logic, like classical binary used here, tripartite, non-classical,

quantum... etc. Logic is a Trickster

end of quote

What do you mean by the term, "non commuting characters? "

Can you be more specific?

Secondly you refer to "life as fundamental"

My physics mind asks the question, fundamental with respect to what ?

Not trying to be difficult. I am genuinely interested in this

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Jan. 30, 2018 @ 20:10 GMT
Non-commuting charachters are like band-gaps, as instance for an electron state, in a phase space. I gave two links to the 'lifing' due to so little space.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ef/So
lid_state_electronic_band_structure.svg/440px-Solid_state_el
ectronic_band_structure.svg.png

Here a many-body system of carbon atoms where the electrons has...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Jan. 30, 2018 @ 20:54 GMT
Cont.

Now in Life we have many-body states, very often chiral, bended and twisted, due to the carbon network. The energy bands cross many times, interact and 'collapse'. and it is not possible to reverse the process. You cannot any longer find the initial parts, it cannot be reduced, and this is the reason for my heading too. *More than everything' describes the emergence of new charachters...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Jan. 30, 2018 @ 21:01 GMT
I also link Einsteins paper on the subject. Note:

Either the QM description of the wavefunction is not complete, or

when the operators corresponding to two physical quantities do not commute, the two quantities cannot have simultanous reality... http://www.drchinese.com/David/EPR.pdf

I show here that after the 'error' corrections in energy levels, what we call 'collapse' of the wavefunction, the states can be 'real'.

Where does the energy go? Does it carry information?

Bookmark and Share

John C Hodge wrote on Jan. 30, 2018 @ 17:30 GMT
I agree, life processes can serve as an indicator of fundamental process in physics. I also add Societies can do the same. All you need do is substitute "society" where You say "life"

The universe is one.

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Jan. 30, 2018 @ 21:03 GMT
One of my thoughts when I started my 'journey' into physics, was that Life can guide physics, show on a way out.... seems so?

Thanks, Ulla Mattfolk.

Bookmark and Share

Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde wrote on Feb. 1, 2018 @ 15:33 GMT
Dear Ulla;

Congratulations, a very thoughtful participation in the search for the foundational first cause. We ALL are searching in a reality that is hiding for us the most fundamental essence, I think. Here on FQXi there are about 200 thoughts about this quest for humanity, and believe me NO ONE has the ultimate answer. But that is no wonder because the human intelligence is just existing...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Feb. 1, 2018 @ 18:13 GMT
Thanks, Wilhelmus.

For one thing, we don't know what consciousness is, other than it is 'subjective' as we experience it, still that experience is made up of billions of parts... and how is that related to information. What we have is a lots of misinformation, pure beliefs and assupmtions. We like our beliefs, don't want to get rid of them...

Also, when we talk of 'intelligence' there are many kinds, like social, emotional... We often attribute it to only binary logic, which I Think is wrong. I want more than two optional answers...

As instance math genuises are often seen as true genuises, because they use a language incomprehensible to most. I call it the Merlin language. Still genuises don't use math, but its symbols, Pictures, behaviours, processes... Hardly any math problem is simply deduced, and if so it is often plain wrong.

Why do we need those lies?

Stability is a problem, because Life is instability, reactivity. So what defines stability, we just call it homeostasis, allostasis etc. It is a stressreaction as so much else in our World. Stress is disruption and so on...

A property is a property, and it must be exactly as it is to save its charachter. This is the 'More than everything' bit. Emergence is also a fundamental process, maybe, like Phil Gibbs said it. These thoughts and the thoughts about negentropy and non-dissipative states are not crisp and clear yet, need some more work, but I am pretty sure Life speed up entropy in total. Just look at our Mother Earth and her condition.

Thanks for your nice Words.

Ulla.

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Feb. 1, 2018 @ 18:17 GMT
I must add that these aspects of 'What is Life' would never have been this clear without the many hours talking to Joseph, analyzing his simulations. Very illuminating, and I have come to understand that the 'quantum' aspects are not more mystical than our ordinary World is. It is only about pixels, resolutions... working a bit differently. Many thanks to Joseph, once again.

Bookmark and Share

Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde replied on Feb. 1, 2018 @ 18:41 GMT
Indeed Ulla, there are so many things we don't understand, even the members here are using the words "stuff", "things", etc... Scientists are so stuck to their implementations of insecure things that they won't accept fresh idea's...

Between black and white there are infinity shades of grey... That is why I hope that quantum computers will become nearer to what we call consciousness (next stage of evolution ?

Humanity is full of stress to get their stomachs filled...

As a matter of fact Phil is saying the same as I do, only he is more intelliget then I am because I cannot understand the Merlin language...I like mother earth but it has an illness : humanity....

best regards

Wilhelmus

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk wrote on Feb. 2, 2018 @ 10:02 GMT
In a BEC are solitons that create friction. Now finnish researchers suspect they are quasistates, more findamental states...

"What we suspect could be a source of the friction are quasi-particles trapped in the cores of the vortices. When the vortices accelerate, the particles gain kinetic energy which dissipates to surrounding particles and creates friction," explains Mäkinen.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-02-friction-nonein-superfluids-ab
solute.html#jCp

Bookmark and Share

Bashir Yusuf wrote on Feb. 2, 2018 @ 23:08 GMT
Dear Ulla.

In general, I really appreciated your thoughtful conceptional way of explanation about the fundamental of life. I Have some similar idea about this topic, but the complexity of different level of systems and our limited knowledge has been puzzling issue of the Nature's fundamental.

Perhaps, after reading carefully I will give comments.

Best wishes.

Bashir.

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Feb. 3, 2018 @ 20:45 GMT
It is exactly the complexity that is so wonderful, and can be explained like this, as also Schrödinger thought. But we shall not diminish the complexity to chromosomes alone, they are just a part of the whole, maybe not even the biggest part. The quasi-states as a dual frame solve it. Our World is both classical and quantum too.

Ulla Mattfolk.

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Feb. 5, 2018 @ 21:06 GMT
Ulla,

Fascinating stuff which was more so due to my interest in the subject. I certainly connected with most, indeed my essay last year more than touched on it; stacking structures etc. (I'm not sure you read it but I included a possible quantum interaction process for RNA mutation).

I also discussed cognitive dissonance and loved your; "When we get some meaningful construct out of that information it is very difficult to reverse it. Unlearning is hard."

and loved the Schrodinger quote; "The obvious inability of present-day physics and chemistry to account for such events is no reason at all for doubting that they can be accounted for by those sciences."

Sorry I couldn't find anything to question, but learned a lot, and liked the terminology intro, very useful.

Great stuff, and pretty fundamental. Pencilled in at 8. My own this year completes the underlying quantum interaction mechanism classically, seminally shocking to many - who'd have to 'unlearn' quite a lot!! I hope you'll read and like it.

Very Best

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Feb. 5, 2018 @ 21:25 GMT
Thanks Peter.

No, I did not read your essay last year, must do it now.

It was an awful lots of job behind this, sometimes I am a bit ?

I would have wanted to explore more on the term 'complexity as fundamental principle' giving emergent properties...maybe even behind gauge symmetries - it must be Another time.

Deformed symmetries are interesting. They form new 'stable' ones, protected, until again broken in an endless chain.

I have also made a study of quantum interactions and measurements, but I became unsure what to Think about it, such a mess. I will read it, yes. Thanks

Ulla Mattfolk.

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Feb. 10, 2018 @ 17:12 GMT
Peter, I Think your vote did not arrive :)

I try to find time to read your essay now. I do a work where stackings are important.

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Feb. 7, 2018 @ 12:39 GMT
Dear Ulla Marianne Mattfolk

Wonderful discussion on Life.... Life is indeed made of atoms, but are atoms the fundamental process of life? No, of course not...... What differ ”living” atoms from ordinary ones? The answer is not in the matter itself, but what is the ”tensions”, ”drive” or ”life force”. What may be the drive? We can see it as a process of limited ”energy”,...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Feb. 18, 2018 @ 10:55 GMT
Thanks.

What is 'negentropy' has been a headache of mine.

Now I Think negentropy must be referred to quantum states and their information content as 'possibilities'. As instance in the ER=EPR analogy it is used, but not the Word negentropy, because it is a controversy yet.

There pure states are defined by no difference in entropy, but it also contains the 'codes' for 'reality'...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Philip Gibbs wrote on Feb. 10, 2018 @ 12:54 GMT
Ulla, Hi, its good to see you here.

I think when Schrodinger wrote his book about life, many physicists thought he had gone mad, but now his ideas about information in biology are a hot topic. Very few people have the originality of thought to be able to jump so far ahead of the crowd. These ideas can only get more important as technology begins to impact on them.

Thanks for a wondereful essay.

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Feb. 10, 2018 @ 17:23 GMT
Thanks Phil.

I have some years ago looked at Schrödingers view on negentropy and it did not make sense. Negentropy in biology is something much more fantastic than just seen as opposite to entropy. I will certainly come back to this later.

But now his aperiodic Crystals seems very up to date, but we shall not limit them to chromosomes. There are so much in biology that is asymmetric and chiral so it must be some bigger thought behind. It is like molecules in biology are skewed with new properties, so left and right forms have very different properties. In biology we talk of niches, it looks like a way to avoid competition...very much like information, or maybe raw 'consciousness'.

Also the low energy limits are interesting. Like the symmetries were emergent, and here I Think biology can be a template for physicists. But this must be much more explored Before I can say much.

Thanks. Don't forget to vote :) I need them...

No good situation for me, maybe too much offending heading? I thought it was a good one...

Ulla.

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Feb. 11, 2018 @ 10:11 GMT
I must add Susskinds new paper, he should read my eassy...

He talks of - a fundamental law of quantum mechanics---the tendency for complexity to grow. - https://arxiv.org/abs/1802.01198v1

To understand GR we must understand QM, I have said some time now...

There are a number of correspondences between quantum mechanics and gravity that are suggestive of a much deeper...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Feb. 11, 2018 @ 10:43 GMT
Sorry, a doublet came, and I cannot remove it...

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk wrote on Feb. 11, 2018 @ 10:16 GMT
I must add Susskinds new paper, he should read my eassy...

He talks of - a fundamental law of quantum mechanics---the tendency for complexity to grow. - https://arxiv.org/abs/1802.01198v1

To understand GR we must understand QM, I have said some time now...

There are a number of correspondences between quantum mechanics and gravity that are suggestive of a much deeper connection than we might have imagined several years ago [1]. ER=EPR is one [2], and the relation between the generic growth of quantum complexity and the expansion of space behind the horizons of black holes is another [3]. There are more that I will publish in a series of short notes. In this rst note I will point out a relation between ordinary gravitational attraction and the general properties of quantum chaos.

Ye, stay alert on Susskind...

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny wrote on Feb. 16, 2018 @ 12:03 GMT
Hello Ulla,

Happy to see your essay,congratulations for your essay relavant about the life.

Best Regards

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Feb. 16, 2018 @ 20:07 GMT
Thanks, Steve.

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk wrote on Feb. 17, 2018 @ 21:13 GMT
One add more.

http://members.cbio.mines-paristech.fr/~jvert/svn/bibli
/local/Bhalla1999Emergent.pdf

it has become increasingly clear that signaling pathways interact with one another and the final biological response is shaped by interaction between pathways....

In biological systems, signal transmission occurs mostly by two mechanisms:

(i) protein-protein interactions and enzymatic reactions such as protein phosphorylation and dephosphorylation

(ii) or protein degradation or production of intracellular messengers.

Enzymes as 'almost living' substartes interest, also learning and memory functions.... I start thinking of AI... and 'lifting mechanisms'.

The bifurcation point T is important because it defines threshold stimulation. Also type of feedback, 'learning' and 'memory', properties that emerge in the reactions etc.

Science 283, 381 (1999);

Upinder S. Bhalla and Ravi Iyengar

Emergent Properties of Networks of Biological Signaling Pathways

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Feb. 18, 2018 @ 16:35 GMT
Ulla,

Thanks for your post. I confirm I hadn't yet rated it, I've been reading & modulating, but no need to modulate your prov score so should help you.

Shame you didn't understand parts of mine; Lets try a simple basis;

If Alice and Bob get sent polar opposites but have a dial which can switch them independently, we don't need spooky action at a distance! (I'm sure you got the rest ok, just rotations on all 3 spherical axes, and Maxwell's TWO pairs of inverse Cos momentum distributions on a sphere surface - at any rad). Any better?

Hang on tight, if Chandra Roychoudhuri can mass produce his coffins it seems we may be in for a major paradigm change in physics in just 3 or 4 eons!

Very best.

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous replied on Feb. 18, 2018 @ 21:34 GMT

I have had your file open the whole day...as also some other Days...

The sub-quantum' or root function is beginning to see light. It is the monopole as instance, as a bending loop, rotated. The most surprising (or not surprising at all?) is it is an solitonic expansive state. What cause the expansion? Maybe just the vanishing complexity? It must go into i-World, as I don't...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson replied on Feb. 19, 2018 @ 12:30 GMT
Ulla,

Thanks -(copied from mine)

Not found Sari yet, but others, and also the 'Poincare Sphere' "complex superposition of two orthogonal polarisation states". So there all along!

https://books.google.co.uk/books?isbn=1107006341

Did you see my last years finalist essay? The two figs explain it simply.

(PLUS the cognative dissonance most accredited physicis can't seem to overcome so halting any advancement!, and do look at & comment on my feedback loop/ quantum switch cognition derivation.)

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2755

very best

Peter

ps RNA mutation also seems to emerge - in that 2017 essay.

Bookmark and Share

Jerry Decker wrote on Feb. 19, 2018 @ 22:13 GMT
Ulla has presented a large topic in a small space, showing that conventional science is incomplete concerning life and conscious thought, while giving some possibilities about what the missing parts might contain. The essay shows originality and a the results of a long study on the leading edge of small scale physics and biology as they interact together.

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Feb. 20, 2018 @ 07:11 GMT
Thanks Jerry.

It was truly a mare to get it compressed so much, every possible extra Word is removed.

I wanted to show on a possible way out of the 'conciousness-dilemma', and now I also have began to understand the state function reduction in a new way, which is good. The measurement problem and uncertainty is a mess today.

Once I used to be a very mainstream biologist. I am also very Visual, need Concrete frames, to stand on Earth.

Thanks Jerry for all discussions.

Ulla.

Bookmark and Share

Jerry Decker wrote on Feb. 19, 2018 @ 22:17 GMT
In terminology non-commuting characters usually means there is no way to measure or specify all of the properties at the same time.

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Feb. 20, 2018 @ 07:23 GMT
Thanks again.

Ye, the non-commuting charachters are very important. Gödel is often referred to in this relation. It also shows on the problems we have with math.

If we Think of Life it is maybe one reason why it has been thought to be an 'epiphenomena'. It is so hard to define, and the common criterias are far from enough. What is mind? How can we interact? How can we make progressive thoughts, meditate, get 'enlighted'? Maybe we have strings into universe as the schamans thought, and we are their endpoints? We cannot know. But the thought is there, as we have so hard to make conscious Machines, emotional Machines. What is consciousness really? It is evident it is not only an information processing, but it need 'jumps' in different frames, and recognition of the frames.

As instance now I research the triqubit state, the entanglement into a tripartite frame. It must contain so much more information than a simple dual entanglement. Also the question about complexity as a quantum charachter is intesresting, as a 'negentropic' frame.

Ulla.

Bookmark and Share

Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich wrote on Feb. 20, 2018 @ 22:56 GMT
Dear Marianne Ulla Mattfolk, out of your very busy reasoning essay I have chosen to discuss the following phrase:

The space is still big, but smaller and moresystematized. Statistics is information. We are forced to appeal to statistical methods..... Think of space and time as separate axes...... Many matter properties come only by stacking...

I here urge researchers to remember the principle of identity of space and matter Descartes and developed further his theory in the light of modern achievements in physics. According to Descartes matter is space and space is matter that moves. We are part of the space, which for Descartes is a matter. No more dualism between matter and space, between mind and body. Consciousness arises when a body appears the ability to create in space the image of the external world and to remember him for discernment and judgment. In the center of this image of the external world is the body that created it and which is actively positioning itself to prolong its existence.

Space contains instructions on how it should move and create a real world. Time is a synonym for universal movement. The properties of the space depend on the packaging of its moving parts.

Look at my essay, FQXi Fundamental in New Cartesian Physics by Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich Where I showed how radically the physics can change if it follows the principle of identity of space and matter of Descartes. I hope you will not leave without attention to this principle and, as a physicist well appreciate New Cartesian Physics for his radicalism

Sincerely, Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich.

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Feb. 22, 2018 @ 09:22 GMT
Thanks,

You go very long back in time, indeed.... Why?

I have read quite much philosophy, and old thinkers were very good thinkers, indeed, but to cast out so much sounds odd... Must read it, thanks.

Ulla.

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Nikolaevich Fedorov wrote on Feb. 22, 2018 @ 06:29 GMT
Dear Ulla,

I highly appreciate your well-written essay in an effort to understand.

I hope that my modest achievements can be information for reflection for you.

Vladimir Fedorov

https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3080

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Feb. 24, 2018 @ 20:10 GMT
Thanks.

Seemed my answer wass 'eaten' by the net. I try again.

toroidal gravitational waves is an interesting note. "Orbital bodies are in potential pits of stability of toroidal gravitational waves of de Broglie" - What is stability is a fundamental question too. Stability is only found within limits, and I would say it is symmetry protected states. Gravity as the weakest force is also the most longrange one, and in that way the most powerful. It is continous, but also chaotic, give rise to fractals, hence it has forms, often interpreted as Lie Groups etc.

Toroidal forces can also be other than gravitational. They Point to asymmetry, I Think.

The question of a varying G has some evidence. Also g varies on our Earth. The interesting question is what happens in the vacuum, or at its boundary, and what forms our space + time.

I have sometimes thought Newtonian gravity might be a quantum version :) Who knows?

Ulla Mattfolk.

Bookmark and Share

Steven Andresen wrote on Feb. 22, 2018 @ 07:27 GMT
Dear Ulla

If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in the final days of the contest, will you consider mine please? I read all essays from those who comment on my page, and if I cant rate an essay highly, then I don’t rate them at all. Infact I haven’t issued a rating lower that ten. So you have nothing to lose by having me read your essay, and everything to...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Feb. 22, 2018 @ 09:20 GMT
Thanks.

"It questions the fundamental nature of the interaction between space and matter Guv = Tuv" - a very good Query, indeed. Why is gravitation seen as symmetric, invariant and 'collapsed' when it maybe is a false grasp to do so? It is maybe only one side of things? Matrices are also a quantum approach. It will be interesting to read your essay. Many thanks.

Ulla.

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous wrote on Feb. 23, 2018 @ 22:32 GMT
Hi Ulla,

Your essay is to THE point: -Is Life fundamental or ”emergent”-?

To answer your question: "Am I too bold to give it a try?" In my opinion: Low aim is a crime! Also in my opinion: This is the most ambitious essay in the contest. And I rate it very highly.

1. life in terms of mathematics? ...not a chance, it is toothless! My analysis: Life is a whole, mathematics needs parts.

2. You say "A property cannot be diminished to fundamental bits". I believe you mean to say: qualia (the quality redness) cannot be put in terms of information. I could be wrong here ...?

3. TGD: OK I give up! It is probably not: Teenage Girl Dramatization? (I got that from the web)

4. "The ability to measure, so environment ”pay” the entropic cost of the measurement, for some time, is one fundamental of Life. If anything, Life speed up the entropy in universe." I take this to mean: Life and the universe are in cahoots.

But what I liked the most: "Life is experienced as an entity. We ask where is ”consciousness”, with no answer - not even from our brains, if we look to our experience. Mysterious I is also the Selfie - no answer. This is the subjective I. It cannot be localized, but it can be changed. And even if the flesh is reduced, it saves its character, until it cannot be more reduced, then Life vanish. LIFE MUST BE FUNDAMENTAL, like the experience itself?"

Question: Have you any opinions on why Roger Penrose (my hero) is locked onto micro-tubules as the source of consciousness ?

Yours was a tough read. Way to much information for a non biology person.

And yet I appreciate it very much.

Don Limuti

PS: Do take a look at my (simple, and easy) essay :)

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Feb. 24, 2018 @ 19:52 GMT
Hi, Don Limuti.

Thanks for the vote.

I wanted to more dwell on the fundamentality, but considered this text as more valueable, as an intro into the problem. Yes, it is dense, but I could not remove more, sorry. It is very scaled-off in this form.

The problem with math is its uncriticality, I Think. Its Possibilities. Life is very critical and 'On the Edge', finetuned....

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Don Limuti replied on Feb. 24, 2018 @ 21:20 GMT
Ulla,

Thanks for a detailed and enlightening reply. Matti Pitkänen ... interesting... consciousness comes in quanta, forget about multi-worlds. Did I get that right?

I found your many FQXi.org essays (where was I?...unconscious). I am beginning to love deep biology!

Best of luck in your new project,

Don Limuti

Bookmark and Share

Steven Andresen wrote on Feb. 25, 2018 @ 04:32 GMT
Hi Ulla

Thank you for dropping by my page and considering reading of my essay. I will certainly read yours.

Yes, the equality between Guv and Tuv is something interesting to reflect upon. Physical interactions are usually energy conversions, from one type to another. It is interesting to ask the question, which is cause and which follows as an effect? between Guv and Tuv.

I think Clocks are relevant in terms of the forces that drive their function. Force drives clocks, therefore clocks measure force. My essay explains the details

Talk soon

Steve

Bookmark and Share

Steven Andresen replied on Feb. 25, 2018 @ 04:47 GMT
Ulla

you present a deep analysis on life and how physical processes of the world relate to life's processes, and life's processes to physics. You are inventive of new terms and description and originality is something I rate highly. There is so much content and information within your essay, I'm going to have to come back and read it again. I will do so when I return from a well deserved surfing holiday. The essay contest is about to be concluded, and so its time for me to break away.

I give you a ten and hope to talk with you more in the days that follow the contest. Very well done, ten from me.

I hope you judge original concept as highly as I do :)

Steve

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Feb. 25, 2018 @ 10:52 GMT
I would be happy to talk.

Someone gave me a low vote last night, so I dropped much. This is a bad game.

Ulla.

Bookmark and Share

Steven Andresen replied on Mar. 2, 2018 @ 07:56 GMT
Ulla

I know the feeling. I started in the middle, then moved to number one position for one day, then slammed back to the middle, only to rise to fith place again, then slammed back to the middle for contest conclusion. There was one point when I reached out, asking people if they would read my essay. Bad idea. They punished me for it.

Its not a pure contest. There is plenty of strategising beyond merely writing of a good essay.

The FQXi system wouldnt let me rate other peoples essays in the final days of the contest. This also happened to me last year. it became clear to me this year, that if I was unable to give people what they prospectively wanted, that is to say "a reciprocal read and rate of each others essays" then they were much less likely to read my essay. I was handicapped in my ability to engage with others in a fashion that could draw traffic and votes to my essay. Frustrating to go to all that work, then be disadvantaged by FQXi's system failure in the final days.

I sent them a letter about it both years, but havent had a response to date.

Steve

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Nikolaevich Fedorov wrote on Feb. 25, 2018 @ 06:56 GMT
Dear Ulla,

(copy to yours and mine)

Your essay and comments allowed to consider us like-minded people.

Like me, you think about very interesting questions «The interesting question is what happens in the vacuum, or at its boundary, and what forms our space + time».

In my essay it is shown that all the force interactions of the elements of matter are carried out at resonance frequencies of toroidal gravitational waves. In the universe, there is a general grid of resonant frequencies of limiting elements (such as an electron), which synchronizes all quantum parametric processes), so time is a derivative of the period of synchronous resonance frequencies and cannot be distorted.

It is known that on the surface of the flat bodies there is Casimir effect, which, as I explain, is associated with the presence of turbulent gravitational shell and large gradient of the gravitational potential.

The bodies are attracted to each other on the Earth because there is a turbulent gravitational shell near the surface of the Earth.

I wish you happiness in your scientific work in search of truth.

Vladimir Fedorov

https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3080

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Feb. 25, 2018 @ 10:54 GMT
Thanks,

Thoroidal force give very interesting results in simulations. It also leads to the wobbling of spheres or wavefunctions. The state function reduction change it.

Thanks again, Ulla.

Bookmark and Share

Edwin Eugene Klingman wrote on Feb. 25, 2018 @ 20:39 GMT
Dear Ulla Marianne Mattfolk,

I very much enjoyed your essay. Thank you for reading my essay and for your gracious comments.

Discovering Schrödinger's "What is life?" (circa 1965) was a great excitement for me. I put Schrödinger at the top of the genius stack. His 'aperiodic' crystal was genius at the time. He knew maximum order was required, but not the total order of...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Feb. 25, 2018 @ 21:54 GMT
Thanks.

Your essay is very information dense, and I don't have enough knowledge to right understand it, but it contains some very interesting ideas. I have myself spent some amount of time searching for an asymmetric approach on the fields. The results are very meager. In condensed matter it is maybe easier. I have been one part of some simulations using asymmetry, with astonishing results,...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Maxim Yurievich Khlopov wrote on Feb. 26, 2018 @ 12:20 GMT
Dear Ulla,

Thank you for drawing my attention to your interesting discussion of Life-force.

It cetainly deserves sufficiently high rating

With the best regards

M.Yu.Khlopov

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Feb. 26, 2018 @ 12:24 GMT
Thanks,

I have replied twice on your essay, but FQXI eat much...

Regards.

Ulla Mattfolk.

Bookmark and Share

Christian Corda wrote on Feb. 26, 2018 @ 14:06 GMT
Dear Ulla,

Thanks for visiting my Essay page.

Your wrote a nice Essay. I particularly appreciated your original explanation about the fundamental of life. In addition, reading Schroedinger's clever statements has been pleasant. I have also found interesting some connections between physics and biology.

In general, you wrote an entertaining Essay, deserving my high score.

Good luck in the Contest.

Cheers, Ch.

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Feb. 26, 2018 @ 15:51 GMT
Thanks, Christian Chorda.

This essay Contest has big fluxes, hope to stay alive...

It was a pity you did not read the Unification solution, but maybe what you said hints at there is none, or there is a duality.

Jarmo Mäkelä btw, does not live far from me, but I have not met him. You took a similar approach, maybe the future here?

Ulla Mattfolk.

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Feb. 27, 2018 @ 04:32 GMT
This essay is very interesting Ulla...

You have a very innovative approach to making sense of how to incorporate consciousness into the picture of Physics. I will likely have many more comments once the ratings have ended, but I am still trying to do my due diligence, by reading one or two more before time is called.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Feb. 27, 2018 @ 19:32 GMT
Thanks Jonathan.

You had written about carbon, something, which is interesting. Hope we can continue where we ended once.

Bookmark and Share

Jouko Harri Tiainen wrote on Feb. 27, 2018 @ 08:00 GMT
Ulla

Yes I'm a Finn as well

I love your paper and its emphasis on LIFE -- which all the other writers didn't really consider at all. Well done.

Sorry for the short reply but I have so many other essay to read and rate -- I will come back after the competition closes and leave more detailed reflections on your paper.

Yours Harri

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk replied on Feb. 27, 2018 @ 19:35 GMT
Thanks Harri.

I have thought about imaginary numbers quite a bit. A wonderful essay, I have downloaded to read again.

Ulla.

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk wrote on Mar. 14, 2018 @ 17:43 GMT
I must add some links about 'magneticitry', transport of packages of magnetic force.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/0802.0480.pdf

https://www.wired.c
om/2011/02/magnetricity-spin-ice/

https://www.youtube.com/wat
ch?v=SrMAFGVNE84

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_T._Bram
well

Spin ice are asymmetric, aperiodic, only longitudinal transfer...

Ulla.

Bookmark and Share

Author Ulla Marianne Mattfolk wrote on Mar. 18, 2018 @ 16:05 GMT
More facts: Depletion of CLAMP leads to the loss of PCP protein asymmetry, defects in cilia polarity, and defects in the angle of cell division. Additionally, depletion of CLAMP leads to a loss of the atypical cadherin-like molecule Celrs2, suggesting that CLAMP facilitates the stabilization of junctional interactions responsible for proper PCP protein localization. Depletion of CLAMP also affects the polarized organization of MTs. We hypothesize that CLAMP facilitates the establishment of cell polarity and promotes the asymmetric accumulation of MTs downstream of the establishment of proper PCP. http://jcb.rupress.org/content/early/2018/03/06/jcb.20170605

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.