Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Murli Verma: on 4/6/18 at 7:48am UTC, wrote Agreed. The physical rigour is a candid attempt to bring in the new (or...

Maxim Khlopov: on 4/4/18 at 13:57pm UTC, wrote Dear Murli, Thank you for your kind interest to my essay and comments....

Murli Verma: on 4/2/18 at 8:48am UTC, wrote Hi Maxim, I found it a very thought provoking article revisiting the...

Maxim Khlopov: on 2/26/18 at 23:23pm UTC, wrote Dear Don, Thank you for interest to my essay and drawing my attention to...

Maxim Khlopov: on 2/26/18 at 23:18pm UTC, wrote Dear Jonathan, Yes, I did, I enjoyed it and will put comment with rating ...

Jonathan Dickau: on 2/26/18 at 23:01pm UTC, wrote Greetings Maxim, I note that I have not seen a comment from you, but I...

Maxim Khlopov: on 2/26/18 at 12:22pm UTC, wrote Dear Ulla, Thank you for interest to my essay and drawing my attention to...

Maxim Khlopov: on 2/26/18 at 12:08pm UTC, wrote Dear Wilhelmus, Thank you for interest to my essay. In my books...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Lorraine Ford: "With the “A.I. Feynman” software, Silviu-Marian Udrescu and Max Tegmark..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Georgina Woodward: "Coin toss co-state potentials: With the measurement protocol decided, in..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Georgina Woodward: "Hi Steve, Sabine Hossenffelder has written an interesting blog post on her..." in Alternative Models of...

Steve Dufourny: "If we correlate with the consciousness, can we consider that all is..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Ian Durham, Maybe still for the rankings and the links with this..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

Steve Dufourny: "Georgina,in the past we have discussed about this Fith force after the 3..." in Alternative Models of...

Steve Dufourny: "An other point very important considering this nature.Ecology is so..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

janey hug: "Vape Juice Wholesale When it pertains to vape juice, you require to obtain..." in Ed Witten on the Nature...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 22, 2019

CATEGORY: FQXi Essay Contest - Spring, 2017 [back]
TOPIC: Foundations of cosmology and particle physics in their fundamental relationship by Maxim Yurievich Khlopov [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov wrote on Jan. 29, 2018 @ 21:32 GMT
Essay Abstract

Tracing in the historical perspective evolution of our knowledge on elementary particles and Universe we come to the fundamental relationship of cosmology and particle physics. The revolutionary change by the quantum field theory of the notion of elementary particle put on more fundamental level particle symmetry and corresponding charges, reflecting the fundamental structure of micro-world. This fundamental structure of micro-world determines the structure and evolution of the Universe. Extension of the relationship between microscopic and macroscopic descriptions to the largest and smallest physical scales leads to the fundamental relationship of micro and macro worlds, studied by cosmoparticle physics in the proper combination of physical, astrophysical and cosmological signatures. Old V.A.Fock’s ideas on physical rigor and on fundamentality of physical approximations can find interesting application in our modern approach to the foundations of cosmology and particle physics in their fundamental relationship.

Author Bio

M.Khlopov has completed his PhD at the age of 26 years from Moscow Physical Technical Institute and worked in Ya.Zeldovich group in Keldysh Institute of Applied Mathematics. He got the Highest degree of Doctor of Science in 1986 and is Full Professor of National Research Nuclear Unviersity MEPHI, President of Center for Cosmoparticle physics COSMION, the director of Virtual Institute of Astroparticle physics, a premier e-science and e-education complex. He has published more than 250 papers in reputed journals, 15 books, monographs and textbooks. He has been serving as an editorial board member of repute.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

David Brown wrote on Jan. 29, 2018 @ 23:51 GMT
"To explain the difference in the amount of baryonic matter and the total amount of matter in the Universe the dark matter is needed ..." I say that Milgrom is the Kepler of contemporary cosmology — on the basis of overwhelming empirical evidence. What might be wrong with the following?

arXiv preprint — Kroupa, Pavel. "Galaxies as simple dynamical systems: observational data disfavor dark matter and stochastic star formation." Canadian Journal of Physics 93, no. 2 (2014): 169-202.

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Jan. 30, 2018 @ 16:25 GMT
Thank you for interest to my essay and reference. The need for dark matter from physics beyond the Standard model became clear since 1980s. It gets still more support in the current data of precision cosmology on the cosmological Large Scale Structure, primordial chemical composition and Cosmic Microwave Background radiation. We cannot avoid dark matter in analysis of these data and the approach to which you refer can hardly explain them. Such approach is based on the old basis of known physics with modified theory of gravity. It illustrates Fock's note that it is psychologically easier to treat the data in the old fashioned framework and much more difficult to accept new basis for them. Possible, I am wrong and the Milgrom's approach should be accepted, but on my opinion it is highly improbable (remind Boltzmann's:"Possibly atoms do not exist, but it is highly improbable")

Bookmark and Share

Andrew Beckwith wrote on Jan. 30, 2018 @ 00:57 GMT

Cosmoparticle physics reproduces on the largest and smallest scales the fundamental relationship

between the microscopic and macroscopic descriptions, typical for theoretical physics. It offers a

new level of this relationship, which, for example, takes place between thermodynamics and

atomic physics, hydrodynamics and kinetics. However, the absence of direct experiments on the

cosmological scales and in superhigh energy physics on which modern cosmology is based, leads

to the need to develop a system of non-trivial indirect methods in cosmoparticle physics. Such

methods can be called Cosmoarcheology – search in the astrophysical data for traces of new

physical phenomena in the Universe, Cosmoarcheology treats the Universe as a unique natural

accelerator in which astrophysical data play the role of a particular experimental result of the

thought experiment (Gedanken Experiment), carried out by cosmoarcheology.

end of quote

I am assuming what you call Cosmolarcheology is what you refer to as most fundamental

In your essay you make good insights as to the the inter relationship of large and small scale components of cosmology and astroparticle physics

My dumb question is this, is your term cosmolarcheology, a way to talk about foundational linkage between cosmological constituents, or are you more intererested in the evolution of the cosmos itself ?

Thanks

Andrew

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Jan. 30, 2018 @ 18:20 GMT
Thank you for interest to my essay. It's main message is that evolution of cosmos is determined by fundamental particle structure, which in turn implies cosmology for its probe. To study simultaneously evolution of the Universe and physics, on which it is based, we need overdetermined system of equations for multidimensional space of the involved parameters which is provided by the set of physical, cosmological and astrophysical data, so that the number of equations is larger than the number of parameters. Cosmoarcheology is only one part of such multidimensional studies, which also involve accelerator and non-accelerator effects of new physics.

Bookmark and Share

Ilgaitis Prusis wrote on Jan. 30, 2018 @ 12:22 GMT
Dear Maxim Yurievich,

The question: Why does the Universe not contain an equal amount of matter and antimatter? can be answered differently. The primordial Universe was a black hole with temperature absolute zero. (Reason is given in my essay: “Fundamental entities in Physics.”) The neutrons evaporated from the Schwarzschild surface by Hawking mechanism. The anti-neutrons annihilated in the black hole, but neutrons pushed out. Some of neutrons decay to proton – electron pairs and convert to hydrogen. The rest neutrons now are the dark matter.

There is not need for Planck’s epoch and smaller particles.

Best regards,

Ilgaitis

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Jan. 30, 2018 @ 18:57 GMT
Dera Ilgaitis,

Thank you for interest to my essay. Let me study yours in details, but the idea that ordinary neutrons can play the role of dark matter sounds strange, since neutrons should decay after 1000 seconds, while dark matter should survive in the Universe to the present time.

Bookmark and Share

Nady A.A. Bakhet wrote on Jan. 31, 2018 @ 11:49 GMT
I have a comment on:

"Extensions of the standard model imply new symmetries and new particle states……. .From this viewpoint, cosmology is sensitive to the most fundamental properties of micro-world, to the conservation laws reflecting strict or nearly strict symmetries of particle theory" page 4:

"So, electron is absolutely stable owing to the conservation of electric charge,...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Jan. 31, 2018 @ 13:38 GMT
Thank you for comment. Indeed, B-L=0 conservation appears in the minimal SU(5) GUT unification of the Standard model. However, absence of proton decay to pion and positron at the level predicted by this GUT model, as well as problems of magnetic monopole overproduction and washing out of baryon asymmetry due to electroweak sphaleron transition ruled out this simplest model of unification, making us to consider larger groups of GUT symmetry with correspondingly larger sector of new physics

Bookmark and Share

Ilgaitis Prusis wrote on Jan. 31, 2018 @ 19:38 GMT
Dear Maxim Yurievich,

Thank you for answer.

I have another understanding of elementary particles. They are exited states (energy levels) of electrons, protons, photons and neutrons in the gravitation field. It is well known that electrons in the electric field of atom has energy levels s, p, d, etc. Accordingly the electrons are marked as s-electron, p-electron, d-electron, etc. If the lower energy level s is free the d-electron release the difference of energy as photon and moves to s level. In the terms of particle physics it means decay of d-electron to two particles: s-electron and photon.

All experiments in the particle physics are made on the Earth. Hence the energy of particle represents allowed energy level of the Earth’s gravitation field. For example the particles μ, π+, K+, D are exited states of electron in the levels 105.7, 139.6, 493.7, 1869.4 MeV. Particle research with accelerators is only investigation of energy level structure of Earth’s gravitation field.

The time of neutron decay has been found on the Earth. Hence 1000 s of mean life is only in the gravitation field of Earth. What is a lifetime in the different gravity fields is unknown. I suppose that in the space it can be very large like in the nucleons.

Regards,

Ilgaitis

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Feb. 1, 2018 @ 13:33 GMT
Dear Ilgaitis,

gravitational defect of mass can work only in very strong fields. In teh interstellar space of Galaxy it is three oreders of magnitude smaller, than we need to stabilize neutron. Therefore your model doesn't work.

Bookmark and Share

Ilgaitis Prusis replied on Feb. 1, 2018 @ 17:43 GMT
Dear Maxim Yurievich,

I think just the opposite - medium gravitational fields reduces the neutron lifetime. If it were not, then nuclear reactions would not begin and the hydrogen nebulae would be converted to neutron stars.

The truth can be established only experimentally.

Regards

Ilgaitis

Bookmark and Share

Sergey Rubin wrote on Jan. 31, 2018 @ 22:00 GMT
I would like to mention the well known experimental fact - fine-tuning of the physical parameters. This produces strong restriction to any theory and nevertheless remains underestimated. Fundamental laws must be organized in such a way to explain the fine tuning and it could be the loadstar for researchers. This concerns both particle physics and cosmology.

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Feb. 2, 2018 @ 09:33 GMT
Thank you for comment. Indeed, fine tuning demonstrates high sensitivity of evolution and structure of the Universe to the choice of particle physics parameters and their fundamental relationship.

Bookmark and Share

Nady A.A. Bakhet wrote on Feb. 2, 2018 @ 08:40 GMT
Thanks for your clarification,

from your essay, Can we say that GUT must contain all the physical basis of cosmology? Also the cosmoparticlephysics may remove the doubts about the String theory problem or not? Finally Do you think the experimental probes for String theory and its phenomenology are possible?

Best Regards,

Nady

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Feb. 2, 2018 @ 09:47 GMT
The physical basis of cosmology should be related not only to GUTs, but to probably more extended framework, like string theory. My hope is that methods of cosmoparticle physics can provide probe of string phenomenology in the combination of its indirect physical, astrophysical and cosmological signatures. Such set of probes should contain more consequences, than the number of invloved parameters: then the system of equations relative to these parameters is overdetermined and definite test is possible.

Bookmark and Share

Nady A.A. Bakhet wrote on Feb. 2, 2018 @ 22:00 GMT
Do you think that the proposed International Linear Collider (ILC) will help us in answering the cosmological questions which did not provide by the Tevatron and LHC colliders where we expected from the LHC casts light on some cosmological questions such as the nature of dark matter.

Where from my point of view, the only success of the LHC is the discover of Higgs boson on 2012 but there are many questions have no answers as: Why dark matter doesn't matter here on Earth and will space reveal new properties at small distances such as extra dimensions or SuperSymmetry?

I hope that the ILC gives answers for these questions and also relates the very small particle physics and the very large cosmology (cosmoparticle physics) and find out how these two fields fit together and plays the crucial role of opening the door to find new physics beyond the Standard Model and answering cosmological questions.

Regards,

Nady,

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Feb. 23, 2018 @ 13:15 GMT
Dear Nady, yes, we are on the way to new exciting discoveries of new phenomena in particle physics, while cosmology seem to prove that such phenomena should exist.

Bookmark and Share

Salah Abdelhamied wrote on Feb. 3, 2018 @ 11:14 GMT
The Cosmological and Astrophysics topics potentially addressed by the ILC are wide ranging and include:

- Dark matter and dark energy

- Mechanism of Baryogenesis

- Big Bang Nucleosynthesis

- Cosmic microwave background

- Origin of large scale structure

If any of the these ideas is realized in nature, the coming revolution in particle physics will also yield profound insights about the Universe, its contents, and its evolution.

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Feb. 12, 2018 @ 14:48 GMT
Though we hope that our modern understanding of cosmology implies new physics, its direct probes are limited and the set of proper indirect sinatures will be needed to come to definite conclusions on its features

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Feb. 5, 2018 @ 05:51 GMT
Greetings Max,

It is a delight to see this essay, and to see you participating in this contest, after enjoying your wonderful lecture at FFP11 in Paris and publishing your article in Prespacetime journal. I am a fan of astroparticle Physics and I see you have made a great introduction to the subject. You have clearly set out how important it is to the overall progress of Physics, given that it probes regimes unattainable in any laboratory, but also explained that the cosmos paints a mute picture we cannot probe after the fact, to examine interactively how it happened. There is, of course, a lot more to say.

I think astroparticle Physics works both ways. Properties of subatomic particles serve to precipitate cosmological events - like the onset of decoupling. But it is likely true the other way around, as well. If a 5-d precursor universe gave rise to our present 4-d spacetime, as in DGP gravity or in the Black Hole --> White Hole scenario of Pourhasan, Afshordi, and Mann, there may be particle species beyond the Standard Model trapped on the other side of the barrier. This might also include sterile neutrinos appearing in some octonionic inflation theories.

I am thinking that such cosmological events could play a part in gauge fixing mechanisms, perhaps at the electroweak scale. My current essay talks a little about the idea I presented at FFP15, Gravitation by Condensation. This was inspired in part by recent work from Dvali and colleagues making an analogy of the quantum critical point in BEC formation with Schwarzschild event horizons. But there is an astroparticle angle there too that I don't cover much in my essay, because it is gravitons which condense at the gravitational radius - and the exact properties of gravitons remain poorly understood.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Feb. 12, 2018 @ 14:50 GMT
Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for inetrest to my essay and for drawing my attention to yours. It is extreme pleasure to use the occasion of this contest to revive our earlier contacts.

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau replied on Feb. 12, 2018 @ 18:24 GMT
I look forward to our future interactions Maxim!

I'm glad I found your essay, and that it serves to renew our friendship.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Feb. 23, 2018 @ 13:17 GMT
Dear Jonathan, I am also glad to have this occasion to revive our contacts.

With the best regards

Maxim

Bookmark and Share

Steven Andresen wrote on Feb. 6, 2018 @ 05:16 GMT
Dear Maxim Yurievich Khlopov

Just letting you know that I am making a start on reading of your essay, and hope that you might also take a glance over mine please? I look forward to the sharing of thoughtful opinion. Congratulations on your essay rating as it stands, and best of luck for the contest conclusion.

My essay is titled

“Darwinian Universal Fundamental Origin”. It stands as a novel test for whether a natural organisational principle can serve a rationale, for emergence of complex systems of physics and cosmology. I will be interested to have my effort judged on both the basis of prospect and of novelty.

Thank you & kind regards

Steven Andresen

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Feb. 12, 2018 @ 14:51 GMT
Thank you for interest to my essay. Of course, I'll study attentively yours.

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Feb. 7, 2018 @ 02:52 GMT
Dear Prof Maxim Yurievich Khlopov

Djrasthi... Very nice words..." Extension of the relationship between microscopic and macroscopic descriptions to the largest and smallest physical scales leads to the fundamental relationship of micro and macro worlds, studied by cosmoparticle physics in the proper combination of physical, astrophysical and cosmological signatures....

You have...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Feb. 12, 2018 @ 14:55 GMT
Thank you for interest to my essay and drawing my attention to your nontrivial approach. It may take some time for me to study your approach, but I'll try my best to prepare my reply to your essay.

Bookmark and Share

Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich wrote on Feb. 11, 2018 @ 09:14 GMT
Dear Professor Maxim Yurievich Khlopov the ideas in your essay correspond to the modern level of development of physics and deserve the highest praise.

Fundamental relationship Foundations of cosmology and particle physics in principle identities spaces and matters Descartes'. Look at my essay, FQXi Fundamental in New Cartesian Physics by Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich Where I showed how radically the physics can change if it follows the principle of identity of space and matter of Descartes. I hope you will not leave without attention to this principle and appreciate good New Cartesian Physics for his radicalism

Sincerely, Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich.

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov wrote on Feb. 12, 2018 @ 15:05 GMT
Dear Boris Semyonovich,

Thank you for your kind interest to my essay. Be sure that I'll pay due attention to your interesting ideas.

Bookmark and Share

Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich replied on Feb. 12, 2018 @ 17:51 GMT
Dear Maxim Yurievich Khlopov, ваша идея об Cosmoarcheology заслуживает внимания.

Cosmoarcheology – search in the astrophysical data for traces of newphysical phenomena in the Universe,

Надеюсь, что в ней найдёт применение принцип идентичности пространства и материи Декарта.

Sincerely, Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich.

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Feb. 23, 2018 @ 13:21 GMT
Thank you for you rcomment. Let me think about this possibility.

With the best regards

Maxim Khlopov

Bookmark and Share

Avtar Singh wrote on Feb. 12, 2018 @ 18:54 GMT
Dear Maxim:

Congratulations on your intriguing and well-written essay.

Building upon your approach to streamline/integrate cosmology and particle-physics, my paper - “What is Fundamental – Is C the Speed of Light” describes the fundamental physics of antigravity missing from the widely-accepted mainstream physics and cosmology theories resolving their current inconsistencies and paradoxes. The missing physics depicts a spontaneous relativistic mass creation/dilation photon model that explains the yet unknown dark energy, inner workings of quantum mechanics, and bridges the gaps among relativity and Maxwell’s theories. The model also provides field equations governing the spontaneous wave-particle complimentarity or mass-energy equivalence. The key significance or contribution of the proposed work is to enhance fundamental understanding of C, commonly known as the speed of light, and Cosmological Constant, commonly known as the dark energy.

The paper not only provides comparisons against existing empirical observations but also forwards testable predictions for future falsification of the proposed model.

I would like to invite you to read my paper and appreciate any feedback comments.

Best Regards

Avtar Singh

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Feb. 13, 2018 @ 10:33 GMT
Dear Avtar,

Thank you for your interest to my essay and drawing my attention to your interesting ideas. Be sure that I'll read your essay attentively and give it my due feedback.

Bookmark and Share

George Kirakosyan wrote on Feb. 13, 2018 @ 07:04 GMT
Hi dear Maxim.

You have presented one of the most attractive articles in the contest, featuring an in-depth and objective-serious review of the current state of physics and with the upcoming problems.

Your strategic approach somehow to break the circle of Ouroboros is a very logical, and, in my opinion too, there just does not have an alternative methodology.

And you write:// From the very beginning to the present time, the evolution of the universe was governed by physical laws, which we still do not know. These laws follow from the fundamental particle symmetry beyond the standard model.//

I see here some your pessimistic expectation from the SM that is intriguing me! So, we can say that SM is not so completed that may to be serve as the fundament to build ours conceptually finalized building of theoretical physics. Then what we need to do?

You says we need to add there (in SM) some new things to be make it more capable that may allow us to finish ours construction. Let me say here the opposite thing - we need to demolish it fully and to try start everything again, from the very - very beginning! I realize that this is very difficult to listening, especially for professionals. But, it is the deepest trouble for the professionals, as will as global trouble of physics ... and somewhat also mine trouble! And I will stop on this ...

I am really very impressed with your professional work and would like to supporting you in this contest!

With deeper respects,

George

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Feb. 13, 2018 @ 10:30 GMT
Dear George,

Thank you for kind interest to my approach. On my opinion the SM in spite of its evident success in explaining practically all the experimental data has internal inconsistances that appeal to more fundamental basis that simulataneously reproduces all the established results. On that reason the professional should be ready to accept new ideas and probably this contest will be helpful to approach them.

Bookmark and Share

Edwin Eugene Klingman wrote on Feb. 13, 2018 @ 23:22 GMT
Dear Maxim,

Normally one thinks that macro phenomena, such as thermodynamics, are independent of the underlying micro physics, but you make a case for their mutual necessity. I agree with your summarization of problems with the standard model and your approach to resolving these seems to make sense. You also mentioned on page 3 that the face of superluminal expansion in the early universe is suggested. Do you have any hypothesis concerning this? Or any suggested literature?

Thank you for translating Fock. I fully agree with you and Fock that "every physical theory, every physical concept, is essentially only approximate."

And "...generalization of physical theories is associated not only with acquisition of new concepts, but also with the abandonment of the old ones."

And "any major progress in physical sciences connected not only with the creation of new concepts, but also with the critical revision of the old."

My essay reviews Einstein's development based on Hertz's extension of Maxwell's equations in the spirit that you state so well. I invite you to read it and comment on it.

Thank you for an interesting essay.

My best regards,

Edwin Eugene Klingman

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Feb. 23, 2018 @ 13:39 GMT
Thank you for your interest to my essay. Some ideas on the physical nature of the inflational stage are discussed in my books

M. Yu. Khlopov, Cosmoparticle Physics (World Scientific, Singapore, 1999).

M. Khlopov, Fundamentals of Cosmic Particle Physics (CISP-Springer, Cambridge,2012).

Be sure that I'll pay due attention to the ideas of your essay

With the best regards

Maxim Khlopov

Bookmark and Share

Saibal Ray wrote on Feb. 16, 2018 @ 08:16 GMT
Dear Maxim,

I have gone though your nicely written Essay and have, at once, some issues which may be interesting for you as well as for the readers:

1] Your presented Ouroboros diagram is fantastic in connection and connotation to Physics, Astrophysics and Cosmology! It has been immense impact in the history and sociology. Thanks for your idea in the cosmic realm!

2] Relation between microcosm and macrocosm as conceived by you also may have some thread in the Large Number Hypothesis by P.A.M. Dirac through all the physical constants, some of which are really variables as is considered in modern day scientific research, and hence may have deep root for our understanding of the Modern Cosmology as well as the Universe with a holistic view.

Thanks again for your beautiful article in the forum of FQXi...best of your attempt and luck!

Regards,

Saibal Ray

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin wrote on Feb. 19, 2018 @ 12:55 GMT
Dear Maxim,

I have read with great interest your deep, comprehensive essay with the analysis of the problems of modern physics and cosmology. You give new basic ideas to overcome the crisis of understanding in fundamental science, which is reflected in the metaphor of "Uroboros" ("Uroboras problem"): “The need for such a combination of indirect methods is derived from the main issue of...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Feb. 23, 2018 @ 13:55 GMT
Dear Vladimir,

Thank you for your interest to my essay and kind attention to its main ideas. The poetry of physics is in fact very dear to me. However, permit me to note that Occam's razor admits new entities, if they are necessary and the necessity in such entities as inflation, baryosynthesis and dark matter come from both physical motivations of particle theory and from astronomical observations.

With th ebest regards

M.Yu.Khlopov

Bookmark and Share

Steven Andresen wrote on Feb. 22, 2018 @ 07:34 GMT
Dear Maxim

If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in the final days of the contest, will you consider mine please? I read all essays from those who comment on my page, and if I cant rate an essay highly, then I don’t rate them at all. Infact I haven’t issued a rating lower that ten. So you have nothing to lose by having me read your essay, and everything to...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Feb. 23, 2018 @ 14:04 GMT
Dear Steven,

Thank you for information on your ideas, to which I'll pay due attention

With the best regards

Maxim Khlopov

Bookmark and Share

Kamal L Rajpal wrote on Feb. 23, 2018 @ 16:21 GMT
Dear Maxim Yu. Khlopov,

I have read your Essay and suggest that for conceptual views on Dark Matter, please read: http://vixra.org/pdf/1303.0207v3.pdf

Quantum Mechanics claims that an electron can be both spin-up and spin-down at the same time. In my conceptual physics Essay on Electron Spin, I have proved that this is not true. Please read: https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3145

Kamal Rajpal

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Feb. 23, 2018 @ 16:43 GMT
Dear Kamal Rajpal,

Thank you for comment and information. Indeed dark radiation as well as dark atoms can exist and you are kindly invited to look through e.g. our special issue about that https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ahep/si/925893/

Be sure that I'll pay due attention to your essay

With the best regards

Maxim Khlopov

Bookmark and Share

Bashir Yusuf wrote on Feb. 23, 2018 @ 23:18 GMT
Dear Maxim

"generalization of physical theories is associated not only with the acquisition of new concepts, but also with the abandonment of the old ones. Here it is necessary to note the following psychological factor: refusal of old, habitual physical concepts is given incomparably more difficult than the assimilation of new concepts not associated with such a refusal.”

"Any...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Feb. 24, 2018 @ 15:28 GMT
Dear Bashir,

Thank you for kind attention to my essay and for drawing my attention to your ideas, to which I'll give my due feedback

With the best regards

Maxim Khlopov

Bookmark and Share

Bashir Yusuf wrote on Feb. 23, 2018 @ 23:32 GMT
Dear Maxim

Link re-correction

https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3143

Rega
rds

Bashir.

Bookmark and Share

Cristinel Stoica wrote on Feb. 24, 2018 @ 08:02 GMT
Dear Dr. Maxim Khlopov,

Thank you for the wonderful journey in the world of cosmology and particle physics. You explained very well the most important results and difficulties. I particularly like the observation about the Ouroboros complementarity between particle physics and cosmology, and the proposed resolution of Cosmoparticle physics. Also Cosmoarcheology, the search in the astrophysical data for traces of new physical phenomena in the Universe, and seeing the Universe as an immense particle accelerator, provide ways to go much beyond the capabilities of our technology of accelerators. I very much appreciated the discussion of V. Fock's brilliant vision, a very deep and balanced one which values both discovery and continuous questioning and challenging of even the most solid acquisition made by scientific progress. I wish you success with the essay, which deserves much more visibility!

Best wishes,

Cristi Stoica, Indra's net

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Feb. 24, 2018 @ 15:35 GMT
Dear Cristi,

Thank you for kind estimation of my essay. I should say in return that, as I wrote in the discussion of your essay, I liked very much your interesting approach of Indra's net.

With the best regards

Maxim Khlopov

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Feb. 25, 2018 @ 18:31 GMT
Maxim,

I thought I'd posted here as well as discussed on mine. Anyway, great essay, earning top marks. We agree QM will give way to classical mechanics - once theoretical inertia allows! and I hope my essay now shows how.

I wonder if you may also comment on the recycling model in this published paper shown applicable at stellar, galactic and cosmic scale. Cyclic evolution model HJ.36-6 2013.

Very best

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Don Limuti wrote on Feb. 26, 2018 @ 03:38 GMT
Hello Maxim,

I found your essay before the contest ended! and, I was not disappointed.

Thanks for your review of the history of the relationship of particle physics and cosmology. And thanks for the introduction to V.A.Fock’s ideas.

Do visit my essay, I believe you will find it informative. If you like the essay do visit my website www.digitalwavetheory.com (more out of the box ideas)

"There are also many different candidates for the role of dark matter particles." So, please allow me to introduce you to the new version of "the graviton".

It is a treat to have you in this contest.

Don Limuti

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Feb. 26, 2018 @ 23:23 GMT
Dear Don,

Thank you for interest to my essay and drawing my attention to yours

With the best regards

Maxim

Bookmark and Share

Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde wrote on Feb. 26, 2018 @ 11:04 GMT
Dear Professor Maxim Yu. Khlopov:

Thank you very much for your new clear view of “cosmoparticle physics”. I like to make some remarks, between apostrophes is your text:

“The theory of the Big Bang Universe is now supplemented by at least four additional elements – inflation, baryosynthesis, non-baryonic dark matter and dark energy, based on physical laws predicted by the...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Feb. 26, 2018 @ 12:08 GMT
Dear Wilhelmus,

Thank you for interest to my essay. In my books "Cosmoparticle physics" (World Scientific, 1999) and "Fundamentals of Cosmic particle physiocs" (CISP-Springer, 2012) I use the term world system as unfying basis for particle physics and cosmology. It would be interesting to find correspondence between our ideas.

With the best regards

M.Yu.Khlopov

Bookmark and Share

Christian Corda wrote on Feb. 26, 2018 @ 11:16 GMT
Dear Maxim,

Thanks for visiting my Essay page.

Your wrote a very interesting and remarkable Essay. I particularly appreciated it because the idea that physical laws governing the micro-world could be the same governing the macro-world was the reason because I decided to become a researcher when I was younger. Thus, I find that your analysis on the fundamental relationship between foundations of cosmology and particle physics is strictly connected with my youth's idea. This is summarized by the Ouroboros problem that “Physical basis of modern cosmology is based on predictions of the theory of elementary particles, which, in turn, look to cosmology for their test”.

Fock statement that “generalization of physical theories is associated not only with the acquisition of new concepts, but also with the abandonment of the old ones” is surely correct. I think that its second part on “the abandonment of the old ones” is the most difficult to achieve in the current status of the scientific community, because there is too much conservatism.

In any case, you wrote a nice and entertaining Essay, deserving my highest score.

Good luck in the Contest.

Cheers, Ch.

Bookmark and Share

Ulla Marianne Mattfolk wrote on Feb. 26, 2018 @ 11:46 GMT
Dear Khlopov.

I had once a Dream about Ouroborus, as a giant slowly rotating ring made of Diamonds within Diamonds. I was one of those Diamonds, and the light shined on me for a while, when the giant Wheel rotated, I was 'living'. When I came out of the light I 'died'. The light was 'ethernal', as I understood it, also the Ouroborus Wheel. It tells something about what is time, I Think, a marvellous, glorius Dream.

I also am a part of some simulations, where we see the same repeats again and again in a topological way. There are clearly the same Laws working at all scales of 'reality'. Fascinating.

Thanks.

I commented earlier too, but my comment vanished somewhere. It was a longer comment, but universe tell me to stop, maybe. I cannot repeat it.

Ulla Mattfolk.

https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3093

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Feb. 26, 2018 @ 12:22 GMT
Dear Ulla,

Thank you for interest to my essay and drawing my attention to your ideas on the Life-force.

With the best regards

M.Yu.Khlopov

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Feb. 26, 2018 @ 23:01 GMT
Greetings Maxim,

I note that I have not seen a comment from you, but I hope you got to read my essay before the ratings deadline.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Feb. 26, 2018 @ 23:18 GMT
Dear Jonathan,

Yes, I did, I enjoyed it and will put comment with rating

With the best regards

Maxim

Bookmark and Share

Murli Manohar Verma wrote on Apr. 2, 2018 @ 08:48 GMT
Hi Maxim,

I found it a very thought provoking article revisiting the evergreen topic on a fundamental question. You've touched just the right chord!

Thus, I have the following to say:

1. This is the time in the history of physics that we are realizing the intimate connections of the smallest with the largest, with our mathematical and observational tools. Cosmology and particle physics at two apparent extremes seem to merge.

You have articulated the things so well, especially when you quote Fock, "the equations of theoretical physics are never, and cannot be, absolutely accurate..." I often feel the same way, and wish to add that these are precisely those "white spots" where our ignorance lies, and where we crave for the "beyond standard approach". (I think an approach is "standard" just because it is followed by many scientists who think alike, and not exactly because it closer to the truth). You have correctly mentioned the course of history taking turn and twists. New ideas replacing the old, and often the vice versa in the garb of the newer ones.

2. Thus, would you agree if I say that Fock's viewpoint shows that the quest for so-called "objectivity" in physics is like a wild-goose-chase? The scientific objectivity is nothing more than achieving an agreement of opinions based on our experiments and aggregate of knowledge that we can commonly perceive, carry out, analyse and settle down to conclusions. Could it be possible just due to our common evolution and acquired faculty of brain?

Bookmark and Share

Author Maxim Yurievich Khlopov replied on Apr. 4, 2018 @ 13:57 GMT
Dear Murli,

Thank you for your kind interest to my essay and comments. However, on my opinion, "objectivity" in physics is determined by Fock's well defined "physical rigor", which provides adequate treatment of reality.

Bookmark and Share

Murli Manohar Verma replied on Apr. 6, 2018 @ 07:48 GMT
Agreed. The physical rigour is a candid attempt to bring in the new (or sometimes, but not necessarily, the historically old) concepts, as well as the abandonment of the existing ideas. This detachment is quite basic to objectivity. For instance, with the dark matter not observed till date, it should be alright to go for the modification of gravity, along with the dark matter search, and to see if the modified versions lead to scalar fields (scalarons) with some dilatonic couplings with the standard matter in the background. The masses etc, calculated with reasonable constraints such as the age of the universe, lead to further distinctive features. Of course, this must come together with the corresponding mathematical rigour Fock had addressed to. What I think is that our common evolutionary track as human beings of powerful intellect, inescapably, puts us to argue or rationalize and understand in more or less the similar way.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.