Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Don Limuti: on 2/25/18 at 23:33pm UTC, wrote Hi Karoly, Here are two of your points: "Gravity is the most universal...

Steven Andresen: on 2/22/18 at 9:13am UTC, wrote Dear Karoly If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in the...

Vladimir Fedorov: on 2/22/18 at 6:50am UTC, wrote Dear Karoly, I highly appreciate your well-written essay in an effort to...

Vladimir Rogozhin: on 2/16/18 at 14:09pm UTC, wrote Dear Karoly, You ask good questions in the spirit of deep Carthusian...

Karoly Kehrer: on 2/16/18 at 2:42am UTC, wrote Dear James, Space vibrations govern the detection of two neutron stars...

Karoly Kehrer: on 2/16/18 at 2:38am UTC, wrote Dear Declan, it always a pleasure to read your presentation. You are well...

Karoly Kehrer: on 2/16/18 at 2:35am UTC, wrote Thank Gary Karoly Your presentation is right on the money Thanks I have...

Karoly Kehrer: on 2/16/18 at 2:28am UTC, wrote I do agree with you You see the word as it really is Karoly

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "What is happening in material reality provides the connection to inertia...." in Bonus Koan: Distant...

Georgina Woodward: ""We saw early on that as conformed by countless experiment, there is no..." in Bonus Koan: Distant...

Ian Durham: ""Loony" Max Tegmark is the director of the organization that runs this..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

Lorraine Ford: "Ian, I’m sorry for going overboard on the “physicists think that”..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

andrea gonzalez: "Interesting stuff to read. Keep it up. If want to collect free gift card..." in Memory, Causality and...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in First Things First: The...

Poker Online: "https://www.jakartapoker.net/" in Downward causation:...

Enquire us: "Your Ro system desires regular maintenance to confirm it’s continually in..." in Agency in the Physical...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
August 25, 2019

CATEGORY: FQXi Essay Contest - Spring, 2017 [back]
TOPIC: All fundamental discoveries call for supporting explanation. by Karoly Kehrer [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Karoly Kehrer wrote on Jan. 19, 2018 @ 17:00 GMT
Essay Abstract

Abstract. The remarkable discoveries by physicist is discussed along with an investigation that tries to find answer of why they really were fundamental. This paper is looking for of how they affected Human thinking - and inspired mankind - to try to find the next fundamental layers in the infinite Universe. This essay wants to find an answer of what could be considered - according to our today's knowledge - that would answer these questions. Key words: Universe, fundamental, infinite.

Author Bio

Authors Bio. Have a bachelor degree in mechanical engineering and a master degrees in civil engineering. Designer of Electrodynamic levitation for transportation systems, using permanent magnets. Building an testing the vehicle up to 20 tons capacity. Author of papers about levitation studies, stability analyses published Swiss, German, Japan, Chinese and Hungarian Universities.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Jan. 21, 2018 @ 11:11 GMT
Karoly,

Excellent concise analysis, Interesting and so nice to read. It didn't need to be long winded as each sentence seemed to be worth a paragraph.

I agree proposed solutions need proper explanation and identification of consistent (and inconsistent) evidence. That's where so many novel proposals here tend to fall short.

I hope you'll read my own which agrees with Poincare and about all you write, plus identifies and explains an important and fundamental ontology and mechanism. Declan Trail's then gives the precise code confirming the hypothesis.

A nice refreshing and uplifting read. Brilliant job.

Peter

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Declan Andrew Traill wrote on Jan. 21, 2018 @ 12:50 GMT
Dear Karoly,

An excellent essay - couldn’t agree more. My paper on the wave functions of electrons and positrons is the solution that Milo Wolff was seeking to find. It can be found here: http://vixra.org/abs/1507.0054

Also, my essay titled “A Fundamental Misunderstanding” fits in with my paper and your essay in making the compelling case for a Classical Physics solution to the unification of Quantum Mechanics with Relativity.

Best Regards,

Declan Traill

Bookmark and Share

Author Karoly Kehrer replied on Feb. 16, 2018 @ 02:38 GMT
Dear Declan, it always a pleasure to read your presentation. You are well ahead of our time.

Karoly

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Jan. 22, 2018 @ 23:07 GMT
Karoly,

Easy to read and to the point. We use some of the same examples of discovery and suggest the same evolutionary road to discovering what is fundamental. Indeed, "all fundamental discoveries call for supporting explanation. Space vibrations govern the detection of two neutron stars hundreds of millions of light years away, gravity waves and light across the EM spectrum. It is a technique that could take us back to the Big Bang, the original fundamental. Hope you have a chance to check out my essay.

Regards,

Jim Hoover

Bookmark and Share

Author Karoly Kehrer replied on Feb. 16, 2018 @ 02:42 GMT
Dear James,

Space vibrations govern the detection of two neutron stars hundreds of millions of light years away. You are right

Karoly

Bookmark and Share

Gary D. Simpson wrote on Jan. 23, 2018 @ 12:18 GMT
Karoly,

This is a nice, concise summary of some of the major discoveries of the last hundred years or so. I definitely agree that space and space vibrations are a field needed much more study. I'm also glad to see that Dr. Wolff is still relevant.

Best Regards and Good Luck,

Gary Simpson

Bookmark and Share

Author Karoly Kehrer replied on Feb. 16, 2018 @ 02:35 GMT
Thank Gary

Karoly

Your presentation is right on the money Thanks I have learned a lot

Bookmark and Share

Andrew Beckwith wrote on Jan. 30, 2018 @ 11:25 GMT

The remarkable discoveries by physicist is discussed along with an investigation that tries to find answer of why they really were fundamental. This paper is looking for of how they affected Human thinking - and inspired mankind

end of quote

Again, a very good summary, but why not focus upon the most significant discoveries that actually affected measurement protocols? In this I mean as an example, how say if the universe is speeding up in its expansion , how this would change earlier discoveries and reviews of presumed cosmology.

Aside from that, very good work.

And, do you have anything to say about Dark energy and the so called Dark flow hypothesis ?

Bookmark and Share

Author Karoly Kehrer wrote on Jan. 30, 2018 @ 14:06 GMT
Dear Mr. Beckwith

Thank you for your comment,

I think the accelerating expansion, dark matter and dark energy are still hypothesizes. I am not telling they are wrong, but at the present time they don't have solid prof. They all related to the big-bang theory and an almost instantaneous expansion (10-39 second according Guth and Linde theory).

Unfortunately,these theories are suffering for infinities, and some even missing any physical base, therefor, according our present understanding of PHYSIK, cannot be proved or disproved.

Karoly

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Feb. 2, 2018 @ 22:34 GMT
Hi Karoly Kehrer

Wonderful words / discussion… “The remarkable discoveries by physicist is discussed along with an investigation that tries to find answer of why they really were fundamental” dear Karoly Kehrer ……..….. very nice idea…. I highly appreciate your essay and hope for reciprocity you may please spend some of the valuable time on Dynamic Universe Model also and give...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Feb. 15, 2018 @ 23:41 GMT
Karoly,

As time grows short, I recheck those that I have commented on to see if I've rated them. I find that I have not rated yours and am correcting that now.

Hope you can get a chance to look at mine.

Jim Hoover

Bookmark and Share

Author Karoly Kehrer replied on Feb. 16, 2018 @ 02:28 GMT
I do agree with you You see the word as it really is

Karoly

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin wrote on Feb. 16, 2018 @ 14:09 GMT
Dear Karoly,

You ask good questions in the spirit of deep Carthusian doubt. You are making an important conclusion for finding a way to overcome the crisis of understanding in fundamental science:

“...we obviously require the explanation of the underlying fundamentals. One candidate may be the understanding of space and the laws governing the space vibration. However the problem we are still facing is that the Universe is infinite so it may require infinite time to find the real fundamental mechanism.” My highest score.

It is especially important to develop and support alternative ideas in cosmology . Today, "fundamental science" is dominated by theories without ontological justification (basification). This is a crisis of ontology. We need a new ontology, taking into account the development of knowledge, including tradition, and modern achievements. Today we need a big synthesis of knowledge, a "compression" of knowledge, and the dialectical-ontological construction of a new model of Ideality ... To understand is to "grasp a structure." (G.Gutner, "Ontology of Mathematical Discourse.") I believe that a clue to "grasp" the primordial structure, the ontological structure of space is given by Nature itself, its absolute forms of existence (absolute states).

I invite you to see my ontological ideas .

Yours faithfully,

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Nikolaevich Fedorov wrote on Feb. 22, 2018 @ 06:50 GMT
Dear Karoly,

I highly appreciate your well-written essay in an effort to understand «why they really were fundamental».

It is so close to me. «Vera Rubin noticed in the seventies that the stars in the galaxies do not obey Kepler's well proven fundamental laws. Will this discovery will overthrow what for centuries was thought to be a fundamental phenomena?» «One candidate may be the understanding of space and the laws governing the space vibration».

I hope that my modest achievements can be information for reflection for you.

Vladimir Fedorov

https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3080

Bookmark and Share

Steven Andresen wrote on Feb. 22, 2018 @ 09:13 GMT
Dear Karoly

If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in the final days of the contest, will you consider mine please? I read all essays from those who comment on my page, and if I cant rate an essay highly, then I don’t rate them at all. Infact I haven’t issued a rating lower that ten. So you have nothing to lose by having me read your essay, and everything to...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Don Limuti wrote on Feb. 25, 2018 @ 23:33 GMT
Hi Karoly,

Here are two of your points:

"Gravity is the most universal experience for mankind, so much so we have never even recognized it, until Galileo Galilei and Newton explained its effects, but not its origin." (Einstein refined the explanation but not its origin.)

"One candidate (for foundational) may be the understanding of space and the laws governing the space vibration."

My essay "The thing that is space-time" provides some insight into the origin of gravity, and the origin of relativity. Do take a look.

I appreciate essays by engineers (they have to give good explanations to make things work)....your essay is to the point and clear.

Thanks,

Don Limuti

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.