Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Gary Hansen: on 2/23/18 at 19:14pm UTC, wrote Hello Kjetil, Your essay is brief and concise, i.e. to the point, but not...

Steven Andresen: on 2/23/18 at 13:13pm UTC, wrote Dear Kjetil If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in the...

Don Limuti: on 2/19/18 at 20:07pm UTC, wrote Hi Kjetil, I believe you misquoted Douglas Adams who commented: "Time is...

Peter Jackson: on 2/18/18 at 21:03pm UTC, wrote Kjetil, Great little essay, ideas and analysis. An excellent job for a...

Kamal Rajpal: on 2/18/18 at 6:17am UTC, wrote Dear Kjetil Hustveit, You have done a good job in your brief essay wherein...

peter cameron: on 2/2/18 at 16:47pm UTC, wrote Hello Kjetil, Very much enjoyed your essay. Your opening specification of...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 2/2/18 at 12:54pm UTC, wrote Turtles all the way down by Kjetil Hustveit Hi Kjetil Hustveit Very nice...

Alan Kadin: on 1/21/18 at 15:50pm UTC, wrote Dear Mr. Hustveit, You brief essay provides a clear identification of...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "Hi Ian, I've been thinking about choice of carrot or pepper. Behaving in a..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

Lorraine Ford: "(continued) 3. “…so this is what defines a free choice : the Zeta..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

Georgina Woodward: "What is happening in material reality provides the connection to inertia...." in Bonus Koan: Distant...

Georgina Woodward: ""We saw early on that as conformed by countless experiment, there is no..." in Bonus Koan: Distant...

andrea gonzalez: "Interesting stuff to read. Keep it up. If want to collect free gift card..." in Memory, Causality and...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in First Things First: The...

Poker Online: "https://www.jakartapoker.net/" in Downward causation:...

Enquire us: "Your Ro system desires regular maintenance to confirm it’s continually in..." in Agency in the Physical...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
August 25, 2019

CATEGORY: FQXi Essay Contest - Spring, 2017 [back]
TOPIC: Turtles all the way down by Kjetil Hustveit [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Kjetil Hustveit wrote on Jan. 18, 2018 @ 19:18 GMT
Essay Abstract

A short essay about how to find the fundamental and how insight may unfold when going that path. There is of course no background needed to read it and it ends with a - maybe - unusual conclusion.

Author Bio

Kjetil Hustveit is a physics amateur though a computer professional with a passion for contemplating about how reality is stitched together.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Woodward wrote on Jan. 20, 2018 @ 10:17 GMT
Hi Kjetil, I really like the conversational style of your essay and that it is an easy, well structured, well thought out read. You end "It may, if we’re able to identify the correct fundamentals help us bridge the gap between what we do observe directly and the foundation of reality and I really think that entanglement, causality and randomness - with the addition of energy is a quite good shot. Yes I agree with you about bridging the gap. Your choice of fundamentals is as you say "quite a good shot". I don't like the entanglement turtle. It is an impostor. Entanglement is only of states or values so there will need to be physical entities or phenomena to which they pertain. Otherwise you only have an abstract universe and not a physical one. It is also rather a special case pertaining to special circumstances. There needs to be existent things or phenomena that can have energy or undergo change, so there can be causality, sequential cause and effect happenings. Not disembodied information alone. Being a computer professional maybe has some bearing on your choice of fundamentals. I also would not have chosen randomness as a greatly important turtle but he is perhaps showing something about the true nature of the universe with which we interact. Which does not have one predictable answer to a measurement or observation inquiry, but what we find depends on both the universe, as it is and as it is happening, and how the question is asked. But each to their own -turtles : ) This competition is showing great diversity of opinions and writing styles. Thank you for an enjoyable read. Kind regards Georgina

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Kjetil Hustveit replied on Jan. 20, 2018 @ 21:26 GMT
Hi Georgina,

thanks for taking your time reading through my essay and I am really delighted to hear that you enjoyed reading it. I think you’re addressing a very important point and I hope that more people could discuss their thoughts about this. Because if the entanglement turtle is not an impostor it could have some interesting implications on how we view reality. I personally is not entirely convinced that there is any need for a more physical entity. But the real test is if this is sufficient to model everything we observe from it. Even then it wouldn’t necessarily be the correct, but just like the essay contest here - just going there should reveal interesting new insight.

Best regards,

Kjetil

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Jan. 20, 2018 @ 19:45 GMT
Dear Kjetil,

I think FQXi.org might be trying to find out if there could be a Natural fundamental. I am surprised that so many of the contest's entrants do not appear to know what am fundamental to science, or mathematics, or quantum histrionics.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Bookmark and Share

Author Kjetil Hustveit replied on Jan. 20, 2018 @ 21:30 GMT
Hi Joe, I think this essay contest's question is a really good one and it is easy to miss the finer point. But nevertheless it leads to a lot of fruitful discussions.

Best regards,

Kjetil

Bookmark and Share

Alan M. Kadin wrote on Jan. 21, 2018 @ 15:50 GMT
Dear Mr. Hustveit,

You brief essay provides a clear identification of three “turtles of reality”: entanglement, causality, and randomness.

This is not a surprising selection: causality is built into classical physics, and randomness and entanglement are built into quantum mechanics. However, quantum entanglement is not just relatedness; it is a mathematical construction that...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

peter cameron wrote on Feb. 2, 2018 @ 16:47 GMT
Hello Kjetil,

Very much enjoyed your essay. Your opening specification of requirements for the fundamental is demanding and thought provoking -

"Fundamental must be something that is impossible to divide into subparts, it should not require any prior framework and it must be possible to describe everything we know from it"

This brings the wavefunction to mind....

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Kamal L Rajpal wrote on Feb. 18, 2018 @ 06:17 GMT
Dear Kjetil Hustveit,

You have done a good job in your brief essay wherein you have defined the three turtles - entanglement, causality and randomness as the foundation of reality.

QM claims that an electron can be both spin-up and spin-down at the same time. In my conceptual physics Essay on Electron Spin I have proved that this is not true. Please read: https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3145 or https://fqxi.org/data/essay-contest-files/Rajpal_1306.0141v3
.pdf

Kamal Rajpal

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Feb. 18, 2018 @ 21:03 GMT
Kjetil,

Great little essay, ideas and analysis. An excellent job for a non-professional physicist. I particularly liked and agreed with;

"Location and time have to be emergent from the really fundamental building blocks".

"..Describing everything in a very fundamental and simple way could probably be done with vertices and edges."

" change also need some structure. So when a change happens it will have some consequences....to have structured change, causality is the turtle of choice.

it is possible to deduce a lot without direct observation".

I disagreed with invoking 'entanglement', but then there's good reason for me considering it to be just poor understanding & analysis, which you'll find if you get to my essay. Result may be rather more 'unusual' than yours or any!

Well done. Score to low I think, I have it down for a boost.

Very best,

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Don Limuti wrote on Feb. 19, 2018 @ 20:07 GMT
Hi Kjetil,

I believe you misquoted Douglas Adams who commented: "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

If you double an illusion you get a truth! Therefore, the "Lunchtime" turtle needs to be included in the fundamental list! (IMHO)

This is just a minor point. Otherwise, you have a well thought out humorous essay.

Thanks,

Don Limuti

Bookmark and Share

Steven Andresen wrote on Feb. 23, 2018 @ 13:13 GMT
Dear Kjetil

If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in the final days of the contest, will you consider mine please?

A couple of days in and semblance of my essay taking form, however the house bound inactivity was wearing me. I had just the remedy, so took off for a solo sail across the bay. In the lea of cove, I had underestimated the open water wind strengths. My...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Gary Valentine Hansen wrote on Feb. 23, 2018 @ 19:14 GMT
Hello Kjetil,

Your essay is brief and concise, i.e. to the point, but not too brief to miss the point and not too pointed to assume that you have the final answer - for all of which I thank you.

Your question ‘Could it not be that there is really something that goes on forever?’ rings bells in my ears. Infinite regression is not fundamentally necessary; it is not possible. What, for example, is the ‘Turtle’ that ‘Existence’ stands upon?

Notwithstanding the popular presumption that the ‘universe’ is limited in size and expanding without admission that there is anything beyond (a matter of definition); the contrary view that I prefer is that time and space are limitless and that the word ‘Universe’ is so constructed to represent the notion that it too is limitless and embraces all-there-is, hence the prefix ‘Uni’.

Concerning the functionality of the universe, it is sufficient to account for the dynamics of change by attributing the causes to the interaction of unevenly distributed energy and matter.

Time and space do not ‘have to be’ emergent. They can just exist. Further, I have no reason to challenge the premise that energy and matter enjoy the same status; they simply exchange their forms as dictated by local circumstances.

I remind you that the FQXi question ‘What is’ seeks a singular answer, otherwise it would be framed ‘What are’. This disposes of the ‘truly fundamental property: entanglement.’

The notions of ‘chance’ and ‘randomness’ are merely admissions that we do not know unknown or unknowable causes. These are simply comfortable misnomers arising from our limited individual and collective knowledge bases (aka ignorance).

Lonesome George was a male Pinta Island tortoise in the Galapagos archipelago and the last known individual of the species. So there you have it – and there you don’t.

Best wishes,

Gary.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.