Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Dizhechko Semyonovich: on 2/23/18 at 14:30pm UTC, wrote Diogenes Aybar, I read your essay and put 10. Between our two views have...

Steven Andresen: on 2/23/18 at 13:22pm UTC, wrote Dear Diogenes If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in the...

DIOGENES AYBAR: on 2/19/18 at 19:02pm UTC, wrote Hello Don; I think with you that we should continue this discussion. I...

Don Limuti: on 2/19/18 at 18:05pm UTC, wrote Hello Diogenes, I did read the EMG theory of the photon (it was easy to...

DIOGENES AYBAR: on 2/19/18 at 12:18pm UTC, wrote Hello Don; Thank you for your comments on my essay.Yours is very...

Don Limuti: on 2/19/18 at 4:59am UTC, wrote Hello Diogenes, Amazing essay! You used this essay contest to give us a...

Edwin Klingman: on 2/2/18 at 4:38am UTC, wrote Dear Diogenes, You begin by acknowledging the need for a conceptual basis...

DIOGENES AYBAR: on 1/31/18 at 4:20am UTC, wrote Thank you Satyavarapu Naga for your comment on my essay. I have read your...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Jim Snowdon: "On the permanently dark side of the Earth, the stars would appear to stay..." in The Nature of Time

Georgina Woodward: "Hi Jorma, some thoughts; You mention mutual EM connection. I think you..." in Why Time Might Not Be an...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Jorma Seppaenen: "Dear Georgina, I think you are perfectly right about the estimate of age..." in Why Time Might Not Be an...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

akash hasan: "Some students have an interest in researching and space exploration. I..." in Announcing Physics of the...

Michael Jordan: "Excellent site. Plenty of helpful information here. I am sending it to some..." in Review of "Foundations of...

Anonymous: "Excellent site. Plenty of helpful information here. I am sending it to some..." in Constructing a Theory of...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

Dissolving Quantum Paradoxes
The impossibility of building a perfect clock could help explain away microscale weirdness.

FQXi FORUM
May 25, 2019

CATEGORY: FQXi Essay Contest - Spring, 2017 [back]
TOPIC: What is "Fundamental"? by DIOGENES AYBAR [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author DIOGENES AYBAR wrote on Jan. 18, 2018 @ 19:07 GMT
Essay Abstract

This essay starts by establishing the general concept of “Fundamental”. Then follows an epistemological critique of the practice of theoretical science, where it is demonstrated the inadequacy of the ways science constructs the fundamental concepts for studying the fine grain of reality. Afterward it is proposed an expansion of the scope of physical science to include the aspects of reality that cannot be observed directly or indirectly. Then the author discusses the concepts of SPACE, DISTANCE,TIME, INERTIA, MASS AND ELECTRIC CHARGE, and develops new concepts for each of these scientific parameters; redefining them in ways that allows the determination of whether or not they could be categorized as Fundamental.

Author Bio

Diogenes Aybar, Born October 30th 1954, chemical engineer, Ph.D. in chemistry (Moscow, ex USSR), Ph.D. in biochemistry (CCNY, USA). Since 1994, Member of the Academy of Sciences of the Dominican Republic. President and founder of Aybar Ecotechnology Corp., a company dedicated to the development of environmentally friendly technologies for the energy, pharmaceutical and food industry. At present, I am based in the Dominican Republic, dedicated to consulting internationally in those areas.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Marcel-Marie LeBel wrote on Jan. 18, 2018 @ 23:00 GMT
Diogenes,

The first half of your essay touches on physics being perceptual. Yes, physics studies our experience of the universe but, the universe is not made of “experience”. It is made of stuff we have to identify ...

My essay is about a bottom-up approach creation from nothingness using just existence and logic..

Your discourse into explaining our perceptual reality was well done.

Marcel,

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Joe Fisher wrote on Jan. 20, 2018 @ 19:58 GMT
Dear Diogenes,

I think FQXi.org might be trying to find out if there could be a Natural fundamental. I am surprised that so many of the contest's entrants do not appear to know what am fundamental to science, or mathematics, or quantum histrionics.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Bookmark and Share

Ivan Guzman wrote on Jan. 21, 2018 @ 02:14 GMT
A very insightful essay that provides a clear description of the weaknesses of the positivist underpinnings of modern science. The author also presents a path to lay the foundations of a new way of studying and understanding our physical reality. This is the kind of challenging read you'd expect to find in a contest like this. Definitely worth reading; I am sure the readers will take issue with some of the points in the essay (as I did), but even these disagreements offer a good opportunity to revisit what we think we know about the fundamental concepts of science.

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin wrote on Jan. 23, 2018 @ 10:34 GMT
Dear Diogenes,

Very interesting and profound essay, revealing the cause of the current crisis in the philosophical foundations of science. But I believe that the criticism of modern theories and basic concepts of physics should be more profound from the point of view of ontology and dialectics. First of all, this refers to the concept of "matter", the ontological states of which fund the space and its structure. My high rating is for your radical ideas and the Cartesian spirit of doubt.

Yours faithfully,

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Author DIOGENES AYBAR replied on Jan. 24, 2018 @ 12:35 GMT
Hello Vladimir;

Thank you for responding to my post.

My critique in the essay is limited by the length permited by the rules. I could not expand as much as I deemed necessary to go in depth. Probabily that's why to you they seem a bit superficial.

I like your approach and I think it would be interesting if we enter into a colaborative discussion after the constest

Good luck;

Diogenes

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin replied on Jan. 25, 2018 @ 11:23 GMT
Hello Diogenes,

See you at my forum. Send your e-mail to my address ideabank@yandex.ru

Success in the Contest and in promoting your ideas!

All the best!

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

LUIS FONDEUR FONDEUR wrote on Jan. 23, 2018 @ 11:05 GMT
Hello Diogenes,

I like to thanks you for having written this essay. I have found your paper original, profound and well founded. It makes many important points so fundamentals that have the potential to end the state of stagnation the physics is for the last decades. If I understood well, you say that eventually all physical theories will fail, because are built with “system bias” as a...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Gary Valentine Hansen wrote on Jan. 25, 2018 @ 23:05 GMT
Diogenes,

A few comments concerning your essay will suffice:

“Essential Stuff” is not defined.

Why should “pre-existing space void of content” be meaningful? Surely nothing is nothing. Meaning is subjective.

How can the emergence of time be dependent upon the prior existence of space if the existence of space necessarily requires duration (aka time)?

Geometry is a descriptor of space, whether one-dimensional, two-dimensional or three-dimensional ‘, not a “Fundamental Entity”.

A tetrahedron is a description of a particular, specific volume of space, not a necessary or fundamental constituent of space.

Why should there be any need to generate origins for either space or time? If both are infinite, then they go back in existence forever.

While time is a fundamental property of reality, it is not a succession of any type of events. The units of measurement of time are manufactured for our collective convenience. I agree that “all perceived time is relative.”

All of which leads us back to the question What is “Fundamental”?

Thanks for the good read.

Keep up the good work.

Bookmark and Share

Author DIOGENES AYBAR replied on Jan. 26, 2018 @ 13:37 GMT
Hello Gary;

Thank you for your review.

I think that the "Esencial Stuff" cannot be difined. I here does not discuss the idea of space as a container of matter and events, but as a relational structure of the Essencial stuff, and then of the entities generated by the events produced in that structure.

This is a topic to discuss outside the scope of this constest due to the the nature and newness of the concepts involved.

I hope we could do that in a forum.

Regards;

Diogenes

Bookmark and Share

Nainan K. Varghese wrote on Jan. 28, 2018 @ 14:02 GMT
Dear Diogenes Aybar,

Thank you for your essay on FQXi.

I fully agree with you and our views, till end of third page in the essay, where you summarize ‘The generation of Fundamentals’, are very similar. But I think; once we have assumed ‘essence’ ( I call it the ‘substance’) as the most fundamental, it should form all other (observed and unobserved) real entities in universe. No other assumptions (like: space, time, etc.) are required. Only property, the assumed ‘essence’ (substance) required is to have its ability to exist. Assumption of ability of ‘essence’ to exist can logically explain creations of all real entities, their apparent interactions and dynamic actions in universe.

Nainan

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Jan. 31, 2018 @ 03:45 GMT
Djastravithe Dr DIOGENES AYBAR

Your discussion on What is "Fundamental"? is xorosho “discussing the concepts of SPACE, DISTANCE,TIME, INERTIA, MASS AND ELECTRIC CHARGE, and develops new concepts for each of these scientific parameters; redefining them in ways that allows the determination of whether or not they could be categorized as Fundamental.” Cpasebo darogoy DIOGENES...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author DIOGENES AYBAR replied on Jan. 31, 2018 @ 04:20 GMT
Thank you Satyavarapu Naga for your comment on my essay.

I have read your paper and found it very interesting and novel approach.

I hope in the future we have an interesting discussion on your Theory.

Diogenes

Bookmark and Share

Edwin Eugene Klingman wrote on Feb. 2, 2018 @ 04:38 GMT
Dear Diogenes,

You begin by acknowledging the need for a conceptual basis and the basic or 'substantial' stuff from which stems everything that exists or becomes. The conceptual basis is 'mental structure' for imaging and image correlation entailing information-based limitations of finite channels and noise. From these derive our concepts of space, time, mass, and distance, all sensor based. The ontological basis of such is inherently unknown, but sensed correlations allow us to build up mental structures which we project onto reality. Since pre-existing space devoid of content seems unlikely to exist, the essential stuff entails space which leads to space and time, wherein events occur. You conclude that space cannot be continuous. My own concept is that the 'essential stuff' or field is a continuum. You note that the concept of time currently used in science is subjective. You have read my essay so you know that I identify time as universal simultaneity.

You discuss mass in terms of inertia, then define the most basic form of matter as 'energy', with self-consistent dynamic structure. Again this seems compatible with my energy-time conjugation interpretation that is basic to the measurement of time.

Thank you for reading my essay and commenting. Good luck in this contest.

Best regards,

Edwin Eugene Klingman

Bookmark and Share

Don Limuti wrote on Feb. 19, 2018 @ 04:59 GMT
Hello Diogenes,

Amazing essay! You used this essay contest to give us a description of "all and everything"! It resonated strongly with me. To see why please take a look at -www.digitalwavetheory.com-

And of course take a look at my essay:)

I have a difficult time imagining that many contest entrants will appreciate your essay. This goes way beyond the standard model.

Glad to be an alumnus of CCNY.

Thanks for your essay,

Don Limuti

Bookmark and Share

Author DIOGENES AYBAR replied on Feb. 19, 2018 @ 12:18 GMT
Hello Don;

Thank you for your comments on my essay.Yours is very interesting. I will study it in depth; somehow it relates to a theory of mune published a few years ago: The EMG theory of the Photon, in the journal of theoretics (easily found in google.

Again thank you;

Diogenes

Bookmark and Share

Don Limuti replied on Feb. 19, 2018 @ 18:05 GMT
Hello Diogenes,

I did read the EMG theory of the photon (it was easy to google). We work in different ways, but it could be we are converging on gravity.

From what I can see you derive that the photon has a gravitational nature. I postulate that the photon "experiences" space-time as a substance with a gradient index of refraction produced by "my goofy gravitons". I start with the Planck-Einstein equation, you start with Maxwell's equations (in EMG not your essay). I am still in awe of your essay.

In EMG theory you reference the Compton wavelength. I believe the graviton is a Compton wavelength that can span galaxies and connect to Planck masses. I determine that the Planck mass is needed to anchor gravitons by solving the Planck-Einstein equation combined with Newton's law of gravity (the Planck mass is the solution).

One of my website pages gets ten times as many hits as the rest of my 36 page site. I'm not really sure why? My intuition says that it might interest you.

http://www.digitalwavetheory.com/16_Derivation_of_the_Compto
n_Wavelength.html

Let's keep up this conversation, I will re-read your essay.

Thanks,

Don Limuti

Bookmark and Share

Author DIOGENES AYBAR wrote on Feb. 19, 2018 @ 19:02 GMT
Hello Don;

I think with you that we should continue this discussion. I think that we could arrive at a common ground.

I will visi your page and study yoyr theory.

We will be in touch

Regards;

Diogenes

Bookmark and Share

Steven Andresen wrote on Feb. 23, 2018 @ 13:22 GMT
Dear Diogenes

If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in the final days of the contest, will you consider mine please?

A couple of days in and semblance of my essay taking form, however the house bound inactivity was wearing me. I had just the remedy, so took off for a solo sail across the bay. In the lea of cove, I had underestimated the open water wind strengths. My...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich wrote on Feb. 23, 2018 @ 14:30 GMT
Diogenes Aybar, I read your essay and put 10. Between our two views have much in common and we have something to talk about.

According to the principle of identity of space and matter of Descartes, the physical space is matter and matter is space that is moving. Time is a synonym for universal total movement of space. If any mass multiplied by gravitational constant, we get the value of the flow vector of the centrifugal acceleration. Therefore, in the measurement system LT mass is the flow vector of the centrifugal acceleration. Look at my essay, FQXi Fundamental in New Cartesian Physics by Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich Where I showed how radically the physics can change if it follows this principle. Evaluate and leave your comment there. I highly value your essay; however, I'll give you a rating after becoming acquainted with the Descartes' idea. Do not allow New Cartesian Physics go away into nothingness, which can to be the theory of everything OO.

I wish you success! Sincerely, Boris Dizhechko

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.