Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Steven Andresen: on 2/23/18 at 13:26pm UTC, wrote Dear David If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in the...

peter cameron: on 2/5/18 at 13:26pm UTC, wrote Hello David, Glad to see the interest in Clifford algebra in this year's...

Joe Fisher: on 1/31/18 at 16:26pm UTC, wrote Dear Fellow Essayists This will be my final plea for fair treatment., ...

David Peterson: on 1/31/18 at 14:37pm UTC, wrote Dear SNP Gupta, Your unconventional essay was very challenging and hard...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 1/30/18 at 22:33pm UTC, wrote Hi David Lyle Peterson Well said …”In addition, there is probably a...

David Peterson: on 1/24/18 at 17:46pm UTC, wrote Dear Marcel Yes, and your rule of non-contradiction (RNC) is supported by...

Eckard Blumschein: on 1/23/18 at 17:51pm UTC, wrote Dear Dave, I intended explaining as simply as possible why I don't...

David Peterson: on 1/22/18 at 22:02pm UTC, wrote Dear Hans, Thank you for your comments. I can easily believe the...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Michael Jordan: "Excellent site. Plenty of helpful information here. I am sending it to some..." in Review of "Foundations of...

Anonymous: "Excellent site. Plenty of helpful information here. I am sending it to some..." in Constructing a Theory of...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Hanvi jobs: "Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Robert McEachern: ""all experiments have pointed towards this and there is no way to avoid..." in Review of "Foundations of...

James Putnam: "Light bends because it is accelerating. It accelerates toward an object..." in Black Hole Photographed...

Georgina Woodward: "Steve, Lorraine is writing about a simpler "knowing " rather than the..." in The Nature of Time

Steve Agnew: "Knowing information necessarily means neural action potentials. Atom and..." in The Nature of Time

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

Dissolving Quantum Paradoxes
The impossibility of building a perfect clock could help explain away microscale weirdness.

FQXi FORUM
May 23, 2019

CATEGORY: FQXi Essay Contest - Spring, 2017 [back]
TOPIC: What Fundamental Should Mean by David Lyle Peterson [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author David Lyle Peterson wrote on Jan. 17, 2018 @ 21:54 GMT
Essay Abstract

Abstract. The quest for future deep foundations of physics should continue to pursue greater unifications, should incorporate “hypercomplex numbers” or the name “Clifford algebras” in describing its quantum realm; develop a language for discussing in what way “quantum-waves” could be considered “real;” and should always be capable of expressing the formulation and interpretation of any fundamental theory so that humans might believe it is isomorphic to Nature’s actual mechanisms. That is not yet the case for present-day quantum mechanics nor quantum field theory. In addition, there is probably a limit to testably-assured knowledge perhaps three to six orders of magnitude in particle energy above present capabilities. If “ultimate reality” lies beyond that, we will never have confidence in identifying it.

Author Bio

David Peterson holds a BS and MS in Physics from the University of Colorado, Boulder, with further graduate studies in the departments of Biophysics and then in Mathematics. He worked as an Engineer and mathematical modeler in computer data storage for magnetic tape and hard disk drives for thirty years with publications mainly in the IEEE Transactions on Magnetics and the Computer Measurement Group (CMG). He is now retired but still has an ongoing active interest in modern physics and cosmology.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Marcel-Marie LeBel wrote on Jan. 18, 2018 @ 16:39 GMT
David,

All descriptions, models, mathematics are on a need to know basis. The universe need not to know any of it in order to happen.

The Universe only needs to be logical; the boundary condition is simply the rule of non-contradiction. That is fundamental.

Marcel,

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author David Lyle Peterson replied on Jan. 24, 2018 @ 17:46 GMT
Dear Marcel

Yes, and your rule of non-contradiction (RNC) is supported by the dovetailing of mathematics with physics. [I like your writing. It reminds me of Krishnamurti (long ago) in the good sense of profound simplicity]. In physics, substance existence was once based on mass and then on energy/momentum (with m = E/c squared). Existence for mathematicians is more logical and goes with total self-consistency. The “stuff” and flow of the universe must be something “isomorphic” to the relevant mathematics.

While it is true that Newtonian gravity (slow and weak-field) is due only to the curvature of time (your pg. 5), space is also curved. The “bending of starlight” is due to both space and time – half each. And “least time” later became “least action.” A problem, although I’m not fond of it, is that quantum people strongly believe in non-causal “intrinsic pure randomness” in events. And digging down in “reality” via higher interaction energy seems to reveal strongly increasing complexity rather than any hoped-for hint of simplicity.

Regards, Dave.

Bookmark and Share

Eckard Blumschein wrote on Jan. 22, 2018 @ 01:56 GMT
Dear David Peterson,

You are offerng to "understand" from your excellent summaries the deep and deeper fundamental physics, up to what? ToE?, SUSY?, GUTs?

I appreciate you explaining what you learned: "Quantum mechanics began with discrete “action” [Bohr atom, 1913] along with E=hν and with p=h/λ" and adding "a wave has phase φ=kx-ωt=(1/h_bar)(px-Et). Complex numbers then entered for convenience." You did indeed focus on an essential.

However, I would like to ask whether or not complex and hypercomplex numbers are always used and interpreted properly. Moreover I doubt that "deeper and deeper" constructs will ever reach an ultimately deepest fundament.

While I don't expect you immediately agreeing with the attitude of mine in all nine FQXi essays, I hope you have good counterarguments.

Anyway, I highly estimate your essay.

With kind regards,

Eckard Blumschein

Bookmark and Share

Author David Lyle Peterson replied on Jan. 22, 2018 @ 20:26 GMT
Dear Eckard,

You made me think again about the utility versus necessity of complex numbers (and you address some of this in your essay). Electrical engineering and quantum physics have similarities in their use of complex numbers and their level of difficulty. Yet we say that complex variables in EE are for convenience and simplicity (but we won’t do without them) while in quantum mechanics they are necessary-- that sounds biased doesn’t it. I mentioned that QM really needs complex numbers first for Pauli spin matrices (which are hypercomplex). But, in general, in the representation of hypercomplex numbers by matrices using complex numbers, we might double the size of the matrix and use real numbers in it instead (Example: quaternions H can be represented by 2x2 matrix with complex entries or 4x4 matrix with real elements). We could calculate with huge matrices but strongly prefer to use smaller ones. Does Nature have the same “desire” for parsimony? My inclination is yes, but I can’t prove it.

Your revealing something to be “fundamentally wrong” is similar to Flavio Del Santo’s “demolishing prejudices” – and I notice you had discussions with him.

I completely agree with your doubts about "deeper and deeper constructs will ever reach an ultimately deepest fundament.” But Karen Crowther commented that “we can try to be optimistic that the theories may eventually be indirectly testable, potentially yielding some novel predictions in regimes that are accessible to us.”

Regards, Dave.

Bookmark and Share

Eckard Blumschein replied on Jan. 23, 2018 @ 17:51 GMT
Dear Dave,

I intended explaining as simply as possible why I don't consider causality a prejudice:

- Any mysticism has proven futil. Alleged experimental evidence for Wigner's delayed choice gedanken don't persuade me.

- I am confident having largely revealed very basic unseen ot ignored inconsistencies in mathematics and physics that gave rise to call causality and...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Eckard Blumschein wrote on Jan. 22, 2018 @ 02:10 GMT
Addition:

Still reading in your essay, I would like to add my inverse view on the notion fundamental:

Revealing something as "fundamentally wrong" might often be more promising although usually unwelcome and rarely rewarding.

E.B.

Bookmark and Share

Hans van Leunen wrote on Jan. 22, 2018 @ 13:40 GMT
Dear David,

Reality has structure. This structure has a foundation and that foundation must be simple and thus easily comprehensible.

In your approach, I miss the efforts of Garrett Birkhoff and John von Neumann to establish a fundament that emerges into a suitable modeling platform. In their 1936 paper, they introduced a relational structure that they called quantum logic and that...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author David Lyle Peterson replied on Jan. 22, 2018 @ 22:02 GMT
Dear Hans,

Thank you for your comments. I can easily believe the advantages of your focus on Quaternionic Hilbert Spaces – a deeper and richer level than textbook QM. I am very impressed with your giant “Hilbert Book Model Project” and that you have written 87 papers on Vixra! I wasn’t aware of the systematic depth of your work. And wikiversity is another portal I’ve not explored.

Regards, Dave

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Jan. 30, 2018 @ 22:33 GMT
Hi David Lyle Peterson

Well said …”In addition, there is probably a limit to testably-assured knowledge perhaps three to six orders of magnitude in particle energy above present capabilities. If “ultimate reality” lies beyond that, we will never have confidence in identifying it.”….dear David Lyle Peterson……..….. very nice idea…. I highly appreciate your essay and hope...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author David Lyle Peterson replied on Jan. 31, 2018 @ 14:37 GMT
Dear SNP Gupta,

Your unconventional essay was very challenging and hard for me to follow or understand. It represents a completely different mindset from mine making it difficult for me to judge. What’s important is that this has been your project for nearly two decades using your knowledge of engineering and software, and your efforts have given you personal satisfaction. It is your own creation and represents your understanding of how the world works. Everyone should strive to do that.

Best Wishes,

David

Bookmark and Share

peter cameron wrote on Feb. 5, 2018 @ 13:26 GMT
Hello David,

Glad to see the interest in Clifford algebra in this year's competition, tho awareness of the 'geometric algebra' interpretation that has grown out of the work of David Hestenes remains less common. Matrix formalism of Dirac equation is much less intuitive, makes it difficult to connect the math with the physics.

The little book of Hestenes from back in 1966, 'Spacetime...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Steven Andresen wrote on Feb. 23, 2018 @ 13:26 GMT
Dear David

If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in the final days of the contest, will you consider mine please?

A couple of days in and semblance of my essay taking form, however the house bound inactivity was wearing me. I had just the remedy, so took off for a solo sail across the bay. In the lea of cove, I had underestimated the open water wind strengths. My...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.