Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Sue Lingo: on 2/25/18 at 21:05pm UTC, wrote Hi Joseph... To the degree that one is speaking of any process in terms of...

Steven Andresen: on 2/23/18 at 13:36pm UTC, wrote Dear Joseph If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in the...

Joseph Becker: on 2/22/18 at 16:13pm UTC, wrote Hello Giovanni and Vladimir Nikolaevich, Many thanks for your kind...

Vladimir Fedorov: on 2/22/18 at 7:44am UTC, wrote Dear Joseph, I highly appreciate your well-written essay in an effort to...

Giovanni Prisinzano: on 2/17/18 at 15:04pm UTC, wrote Dear Dr. Becker, This is a dense and engaging essay, which makes us...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 2/12/18 at 10:43am UTC, wrote Hi Dr Joseph D. Becker Nice OP sir,...."As we look out over the world, we...

Joe Fisher: on 1/31/18 at 16:22pm UTC, wrote Dear Fellow Essayists This will be my final plea for fair treatment., ...

Joseph Becker: on 1/30/18 at 22:01pm UTC, wrote Thank you Correspondents, I fear I have no qualifications to review the...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Joe Fisher: "Dear Potential Realists, Yesterday’s Closer to Truth Facebook page..." in Dissolving Quantum...

Andrea White: "Canon is a leading optical product and imaging product company.They have..." in Sounding the Drums to...

Avneesh panwar: "If you are delete our bing search history to visit this platform delete..." in The Quantum Thermodynamic...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Loyal Reality Followers, The September 14, 2018 Closer to Truth..." in Dissolving Quantum...

Contact Laptop Number UK: "Dial @ 0800-014-8456 toll free in UK for instant HP Laptop Contact Number..." in Usurping Quantum Theory

Contact Printer UK: "Find an instant technical support for HP, Epson, and Canon Printers in UK...." in Constructing a Theory of...

Steve Agnew: "Singh has a really good approach for resolving the measurement issues by..." in Space-time from Collapse...

josef smith: "I would like to thank for the efforts you have Hostgator Promo Codes made..." in Superhuman: Book Review...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Dissolving Quantum Paradoxes
The impossibility of building a perfect clock could help explain away microscale weirdness.

Constructing a Theory of Life
An all-encompassing framework of physics could help to explain the evolution of consciousness, intelligence, and free will.

Usurping Quantum Theory
The search is on for a fundamental framework that allows for even stranger links between particles than quantum theory—which could lead us to a theory of everything.

Fuzzballs v Black Holes
A radical theory replaces the cosmic crunchers with fuzzy quantum spheres, potentially solving the black-hole information paradox and explaining away the Big Bang and the origin of time.

Whose Physics Is It Anyway? Q&A with Chanda Prescod-Weinstein
Why physics and astronomy communities must take diversity issues seriously in order to do good science.

FQXi FORUM
September 19, 2018

CATEGORY: FQXi Essay Contest - Spring, 2017 [back]
TOPIC: Cast Off Your Old Tired Metaphysics by Joseph D. Becker [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Joseph D. Becker wrote on Jan. 17, 2018 @ 21:53 GMT
Essay Abstract

As we look out over the world, we see things - call them objects - and we see events - call them processes. But, that was a trick sentence: our *seeing* is itself a process. We cannot construct processes out of objects, hence the vast deficiencies in our fundamental understanding of the world. But ... we *may* be able to construct a system of objects based on processes. We need to start over with an entirely new *process metaphysics* that can at least work at observable levels. And ... if we could simulate it on a laptop computer, that would be a plus.

Author Bio

Joe Becker earned a BS in Mathematics from MIT and a PhD in Computer Science from Stanford. He began a career in Artificial Intelligence in the 1960's, but AI and that career died. So he became a founder of the Unicode Standard, which permits the World Wide Web to function world wide. Now that AI is alive again, he is back to seeking how to model living processes.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

John C Hodge wrote on Jan. 18, 2018 @ 11:27 GMT
Great essay.

I agree "Our task, difficult enough, is just to create a working model of what we see around us."

But assigning "purpose" or "teleology" seems beyond our current ability.

I agree there is a "spirit" (I said so in my essay) - that part of an object that is greater than the sum of its parts. So, one of the fundamental agents is the means of communication.Therefore, if this agent is real (can influence other agents), it must have no more fundamental agent. (my plenum)

The whole universe must have "spirit". It's the concept of life that is undefined. I'd note a sun may grow and die.

J. Hodge (essay submitted)

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Joseph D. Becker replied on Jan. 30, 2018 @ 22:01 GMT
Thank you Correspondents,

I fear I have no qualifications to review the work of others. I am a humble computer person, interested in reviving and updating the 1920's Process Metaphysics of Alfred North Whitehead. I have in mind a modern redesign and implementation, possibly founded on some form of Agent-Based Modeling.

I believe I should have included references to other scholars' publications on technical approaches to Whitehead's insights, so please permit me to add here a few that I am aware of:

o Doyle, Bob: http://www.informationphilosopher.com/solutions/philosophers
/whitehead/

o Epperson, Michael. Quantum Mechanics and the Philosophy of Alfred North Whitehead. New York: Fordham University Press; 2004.

o Henry, Granville C. Forms of Concrescence: Alfred North Whitehead's Philosophy and Computer Programming Structures. London and Toronto: Associated University Presses; 1993.

o Jungerman, John A. World in Process: Creativity and Interconnection in the New Physics. Albany: State University of New York Press; 2000.

o Koutroufinis, Spyridon A (Ed). Life and Process: Towards a New Biophilosophy (Process Thought). Berlin: Walter de Gruyter GmbH; 2014.

o McHenry, Leemon B. The Event Universe: The Revisionary Metaphysics of Alfred North Whitehead. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press; 2015.

Joe Becker

Bookmark and Share

John Brodix Merryman wrote on Jan. 20, 2018 @ 20:58 GMT
Dr. Becker,

If I may offer up a simpler metaphysics, it would be a dichotomy of energy and form. Energy manifesting form, while form defines energy. Energy is bottom up/expansive, while form is top down/constrictive.

Two examples, from opposite sides of the conceptual spectrum are that galaxies are cosmic convection cycles of radiation expanding out, as mass gravitates in. On the...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Jan. 30, 2018 @ 18:06 GMT
Hi Joseph D. Becker

Seeing itself is a mind process ( Mind is software, Brain is Hardware)….as you mentioned….”that was a trick sentence: our *seeing* is itself a process. We cannot construct processes out of objects, hence the vast deficiencies in our fundamental understanding of the world”…..is exactly correct dear Joseph D. Becker……………..…..….. very nice idea…. I...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Feb. 12, 2018 @ 10:43 GMT
Hi Dr Joseph D. Becker

Nice OP sir,...."As we look out over the world, we see things - call them objects - and we see events - call them processes. But, that was a trick sentence: our *seeing* is itself a process. Good definition of process.... By the way

Here in my essay energy to mass conversion is proposed...……..….. yours is very nice essay best wishes …. I highly...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Giovanni Prisinzano wrote on Feb. 17, 2018 @ 15:04 GMT
Dear Dr. Becker,

This is a dense and engaging essay, which makes us reflect and at times fascinates!

I unfortunately did not read Whitehead's Process and Reality, although I hope to do it. I know a little the thought of Leibniz, also a great mathematician, as well as a philosopher, as you know better than me, who proposed in the seventeenth century the idea of a universal computer (then impossible to implement), as well as a metaphysics in which every reality is alive.

It makes us think that, in addition to Whitehead, at least two great mathematicians and computer science visionaries, such as Leibniz and Turing, have developed a perspective that denies the existence of any fundamental difference - on an architectural and functional level - between living realities and those organized and complex systems, which we call "mechanical". And it is not said that they are wrong ...

Sincere congratulations,

Giovanni

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Nikolaevich Fedorov wrote on Feb. 22, 2018 @ 07:44 GMT
Dear Joseph,

I highly appreciate your well-written essay in an effort to understand.

It is so close to me. «We need to start over with an entirely new *process metaphysics* that can at least work at observable levels». «Any metaphysics of the world’s structure must be based on a vast hierarchical organization, in which wholly new functions emerge at higher levels».

I hope that my modest achievements can be information for reflection for you.

Vladimir Fedorov

https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3080

Bookmark and Share

Author Joseph D. Becker wrote on Feb. 22, 2018 @ 16:13 GMT
Hello Giovanni and Vladimir Nikolaevich,

Many thanks for your kind comments!

I tried to read your papers ... but I could understand very little.

Now I have to hope that the world is simple enough for me to understand it!

Good luck with your efforts,

Joe Becker

Bookmark and Share

Steven Andresen wrote on Feb. 23, 2018 @ 13:36 GMT
Dear Joseph

If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in the final days of the contest, will you consider mine please?

A couple of days in and semblance of my essay taking form, however the house bound inactivity was wearing me. I had just the remedy, so took off for a solo sail across the bay. In the lea of cove, I had underestimated the open water wind strengths. My...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Sue Lingo wrote on Feb. 25, 2018 @ 21:05 GMT
Hi Joseph...

To the degree that one is speaking of any process in terms of equations extracted from a specified "bench" geometry model, to verify that the specified "bench" geometry model resolves the observed process, the visual kinematic chain for the theoretical derivation, from the observed geometry, back to the specified "bench" geometry model in which the process is animated... i.e. given dynamics... must be verifiably unbroken.

Digital CAD/SIM models can facilitate highly complex visual verification... i.e. if the coded simulation does not visually emulate the observed process, then the Mathematics is not verifiable.

In that "Much of the physical reality is inaccessible to measurement.", and "In that case, deduction remains the only way of approach.", I highly recommend that one verify the "bench" Origin Singularity geometry form follows function, for a pulsed minimum unit of Energy (QE) Emission, equal in all directions from a single Origin Source, before applying the artifice of the equationist to "everything", or anything, else.

As per my interpretation of World Science Festival: Topic: "Limits of Understanding" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfY-DRsE86s, the instability w/ current Space/Energy/Time/Info Physics, is as a consequence of the current instability of Mathematics.

My assessment is that the APPARENT current instability of Math is as a consequence of a geometry coordinate system, in which the fundamental Spatial relationships of the geometry do not support application of minimum units of Energy/Space/Time/Info, to Space/Energy/Time/Info analysis.

Thanks Joseph, for sharing your insights and thus making an opportunity for comment... I would read your comments on my essay entry Title: Knowledge Base (KB) Access as Fundamental to Info Processor Intelligence, with those insights in mind.

S. Lingo

UQS Author/Logician

www.uqsmatrixmechanix.com

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.