Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Vladimir Fedorov: on 2/24/18 at 14:06pm UTC, wrote Dear Bradly, I highly appreciate your well-written essay in an effort to...

Steven Andresen: on 2/23/18 at 13:39pm UTC, wrote Dear Bradly If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in the...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 2/12/18 at 9:25am UTC, wrote Respected prof Bradly John Alicea It is very nice alternative (the...

Christophe Tournayre: on 2/10/18 at 22:37pm UTC, wrote Dear Bradly Alicea, The notion of description and relevance that you...

George Gantz: on 2/10/18 at 15:48pm UTC, wrote Bradley - I think your essay would do well to be read aloud. I love the...

Joe Fisher: on 1/31/18 at 16:20pm UTC, wrote Dear Fellow Essayists This will be my final plea for fair treatment., ...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 1/29/18 at 23:11pm UTC, wrote Hi Dr Bradly John Alicea, Wonderful pursuit towords…” According to...

Joe Fisher: on 1/19/18 at 16:45pm UTC, wrote Dear Bradly John Alicea, In qualifying the aim of the ‘What is...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Jim Snowdon: "On the permanently dark side of the Earth, the stars would appear to stay..." in The Nature of Time

Georgina Woodward: "Hi Jorma, some thoughts; You mention mutual EM connection. I think you..." in Why Time Might Not Be an...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Jorma Seppaenen: "Dear Georgina, I think you are perfectly right about the estimate of age..." in Why Time Might Not Be an...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

akash hasan: "Some students have an interest in researching and space exploration. I..." in Announcing Physics of the...

Michael Jordan: "Excellent site. Plenty of helpful information here. I am sending it to some..." in Review of "Foundations of...

Anonymous: "Excellent site. Plenty of helpful information here. I am sending it to some..." in Constructing a Theory of...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

Dissolving Quantum Paradoxes
The impossibility of building a perfect clock could help explain away microscale weirdness.

FQXi FORUM
May 25, 2019

CATEGORY: FQXi Essay Contest - Spring, 2017 [back]
TOPIC: Towards the meta-fundamental: introducing intercontextual invariants by Bradly John Alicea [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Bradly John Alicea wrote on Jan. 17, 2018 @ 21:52 GMT
Essay Abstract

The pursuit of knowledge often leads downwards and outwards: towards the lowest-level phenomenon (fundamental) and the largest number of like-minds (intersubjectivity). According to this view, a scientific phenomenon is reduced to its lowest common denominator, and eventually leads to a consensus-like view. Yet this may not be the only set of paths to and from fundamental knowledge, as this implies an inherently reductionist approach to the creation and exploration of knowledge. In this essay, we will explore how fundamental levels of analysis relate to larger frameworks of knowledge and discovery. Rather than framing the fundamental as a mechanistic necessity or a lower-level enabler of emergence, I propose that an alternative (the nonlinear intercontextual view) leads to a number of important benefits. The proposed viewpoint allows for fundamental components of a body of knowledge to be identified and characterized in a broader historical, intellectual, and mechanistic context. This view can be distinguished from the intersubjective view of knowledge-sharing, which implies many implicit assumptions and encourages unnecessary constraints of thought. A nonlinear intercontextual view also provides a way to reconsider what constitutes a fundamental unit in a body of knowledge. This leads us to new conclusions about the underpinnings of our scientific fields, our theoretical assumptions, and a set of meta-fundamentals that can redefine the manner in which scientific knowledge is set forward into the world.

Author Bio

Bradly Alicea has a PhD from Michigan State University. He has published in multiple academic fields, and in venues including Nature Reviews Neuroscience, Stem Cells and Development, Biosystems, and Proceedings of Artificial Life. With interests spanning the biological, computational, and social sciences, he is currently Head Scientist and Founder of Orthogonal Research (http://orthogonal-research.weebly.com) and a Senior Contributor at the OpenWorm Foundation (http://openworm.org). Bradly is involved with Open Science initiatives such as community-building and the DevoWorm group (http://devoworm.weebly.com). Bradly is also the administrator of Synthetic Daisies blog. Please see Bradly’s research website (http://bradly-alicea.weebly.com) or blog (http://syntheticdaisies.blogspot.com) for more information.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Branko L Zivlak wrote on Jan. 17, 2018 @ 22:58 GMT
Mr. Alicea

Regarding: This interdependency can be seen in domains such as political and weather forecasting, where fundamental preconditions are used as statistical priors, and often constrain the range of possible solutions.

As a meteorologist I do not agree, because meteorological forecast is based on deterministic relations.

Regards,

Branko

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

George Gantz wrote on Feb. 10, 2018 @ 15:48 GMT
Bradley - I think your essay would do well to be read aloud. I love the feel of the words you use - even as the meaning seems to drift and flow. I did, however, find it hard to find a coherence in your presentation. Perhaps we would benefit from a bit more inter contextual conversation. I also feel that your discussion of "meta-knowledge" could be taken a lot further - and would appreciate your opinion as to whether you find my essay useful in the regard.

One additional reaction to your paragraph: "In the case of social or religious fundamentalism, the idea of building blocks can work the other way. Instead of building up from a few core attributes, fundamentalism isolates a few stereotyped beliefs or cultural practices and builds a self-reinforcing set of interactions. In social fundamentalism, core beliefs are selected and reinforced post hoc, resulting in a set of reconstituted building blocks. Yet rather than serving as the foundation for additional structure, fundamentalism simply collapses cultural practices and their background belief structure to the building blocks themselves."

Would you agree this same danger exists in science as well? Avoiding this outcome requires humility and open-ness to ideas and evidence that one might initially find uncomfortable. In that way one is able to explore the intercontextual pathway to improved meta-knowledge.

Cheers - George Gantz

Bookmark and Share

Christophe Tournayre wrote on Feb. 10, 2018 @ 22:37 GMT
Dear Bradly Alicea,

The notion of description and relevance that you introduced in your essay are interesting.

Kind regards,

Christophe

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Feb. 12, 2018 @ 09:25 GMT
Respected prof Bradly John Alicea

It is very nice alternative (the nonlinear intercontextual view).... "The proposed viewpoint allows for fundamental components of a body of knowledge to be identified and characterized in a broader historical, intellectual, and mechanistic context..... it is very useful... Best wishes to your essay sir... By the way....

Here in my essay energy to...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Steven Andresen wrote on Feb. 23, 2018 @ 13:39 GMT
Dear Bradly

If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in the final days of the contest, will you consider mine please?

A couple of days in and semblance of my essay taking form, however the house bound inactivity was wearing me. I had just the remedy, so took off for a solo sail across the bay. In the lea of cove, I had underestimated the open water wind strengths. My...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Nikolaevich Fedorov wrote on Feb. 24, 2018 @ 14:06 GMT
Dear Bradly,

I highly appreciate your well-written essay in an effort to understand.

It is so close to me.

«A nonlinear intercontextual view also provides a way to reconsider what constitutes a fundamental unit in a body of knowledge. This leads us to new conclusions about the underpinnings of our scientific fields, our theoretical assumptions, and a set of meta-fundamentals that can redefine the manner in which scientific knowledge is set forward into the world».

«Reductionism can occur in a wide variety of forms, from training regimens to experimental designs. Secondly, the discovery and acquisition of fundamental units result in the formation of building blocks, which are essential to perpetuating knowledge and operating on it in the world. Building blocks are usually classificatory in nature, although they can also be tied together as a series of theoretical statements. In any case, building blocks contribute to structure, which creates an activity or area of inquiry distinct from its fundamental antecedents».

I hope that my modest achievements can be information for reflection for you.

Vladimir Fedorov

https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3080

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.