Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Steven Andresen: on 2/23/18 at 14:04pm UTC, wrote Dear Milen If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in the...

Joe Fisher: on 1/30/18 at 20:24pm UTC, wrote Dear Fellow Essayists This will be my final plea for fair treatment., ...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 1/27/18 at 0:58am UTC, wrote Hi Milen Velchev Velev Very nicely said…. “Physical laws are regarded...

Francesco D'Isa: on 1/24/18 at 10:07am UTC, wrote Dear Milen, thank you for sharing your essay, it's very interesting and I...

John Merryman: on 1/20/18 at 3:13am UTC, wrote Professor Velev, Might I offer up a basic observation about time?...

Edwin Klingman: on 1/17/18 at 4:03am UTC, wrote Dear Milen Velev, You observe that a large number of physical laws depend...

Joe Fisher: on 1/16/18 at 20:36pm UTC, wrote Dear Professor Milen Velchev Velev, You wrote: “Let us first clarify...

Stephen Ternyik: on 1/15/18 at 8:37am UTC, wrote Good work ! Do you think or can you imagine that the initial conditions...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Michael Hussey: "https://www.google.com" in New Nuclear "Magic...

Michael Hussey: "it is really difficult to understand what is all about all the things..." in New Nuclear "Magic...

Stefan Weckbach: "I have a problem with the notion of time in the multiverse scenario that..." in First Things First: The...

Steve Agnew: "It is interesting that you bring up change in the context of free..." in Cosmological Koans

Roger Granet: "By the way, this post was from Roger." in First Things First: The...

david john: "https://www.google.com google.com/ google.com/" in Black Hole Photographed...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Lorraine Ford: "Physics has failed to explain change: physics tries to claim that change is..." in Cosmological Koans

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
July 17, 2019

CATEGORY: FQXi Essay Contest - Spring, 2017 [back]
TOPIC: Are physical laws fundamental? by Milen Velchev Velev [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Milen Velchev Velev wrote on Jan. 11, 2018 @ 21:07 GMT
Essay Abstract

Physical laws are regarded as fundamental because they are valid everywhere and always, without exceptions. The type of physical laws is to a great extent determined by the properties of time and space. If these properties change, the type of physical laws will change. But the properties of time and space might not be invariable and most probably depend on the initial conditions of the creation of the Universe (the Big Bang). Under different initial conditions the properties of time and space may be different. The essay presented discusses the issue of the properties of time – how fundamental they are and how a change in them would affect the physical laws known to us. The connection between the one-way direction of time and the physical laws is examined as well as the dependencies between the thermodynamic and the information arrows of time. The essay also discusses how a change in the number of time dimensions would affect the known physical principles: the causal structure of a space-time, the Lorentz covariance, the principle of invariance of the speed of light, the CPT-symmetry, the existence of antiparticles, etc. The conclusion reached is that the fundamentality of the laws was largely determined by the initial conditions of the Big Bang.

Author Bio

Milen Velev is PhD and Chief Assistant Professor at University “Prof. Dr. A. Zlatarov” – Burgas, Bulgaria. He is the author of the papers “Relativistic mechanics in multiple time dimensions” and “Information and thermodynamic arrows of time”. His research interests include applied mathematics, special and general relativity, quantum mechanics, cosmology, philosophy of science, the nature of space and time, chaos theory, mathematical economics, micro- and macroeconomics.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Stephen I. Ternyik wrote on Jan. 15, 2018 @ 08:37 GMT
Good work ! Do you think or can you imagine that the initial conditions (vibrations) of the Big Bang had a foreplay, in sexual terms, concerning cosmogenesis/somatogenesis ?

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Edwin Eugene Klingman wrote on Jan. 17, 2018 @ 04:03 GMT
Dear Milen Velev,

You observe that a large number of physical laws depend on the properties of space-time… "The law of conservation of energy follows from the homogeneity of time." You then note that "space and time are inseparable, viewed as a single unified space-time…" but observe that "time has some specific properties that make it different from space."

On page 4 you ask "is the Minkowski space-time real and should we accept time as a fourth dimension, given the fact that special theory of relativity can be equally formulated in a 3-D and 4D language."… "We have to solve this issue before seriously discussing a theory involving a large number of dimensions (of space or time)." You then proceed to analyze various cases multiple time dimensions. My essay takes a look at the history of special relativity and attempts to answer some of your first questions. I hope you will find it interesting.

Best regards,

Edwin Eugene Klingman

Bookmark and Share

John Brodix Merryman wrote on Jan. 20, 2018 @ 03:13 GMT
Professor Velev,

Might I offer up a basic observation about time? Hopefully yes....

As conscious beings, we experience reality of flashes of cognition and so think of time as the present moving from past to future, which physics has codified as measures of duration between prior and succeeding events.

A more efficient explanation is that it is change turning future to past,...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Francesco D'Isa wrote on Jan. 24, 2018 @ 10:07 GMT
Dear Milen,

thank you for sharing your essay, it's very interesting and I rated it high. Sadly I've not the mathematical tools to evaluate the final parts, but your idea of changing laws along with different properties of space-time is very interesting – united with the evolving laws theorized by Smolin it gives an insightful perspective in the matter of fundamentality.

Since I touch something close in my essay, but more from a philosophical point of view, I'm interested in how the perspective on time changes depending on where you place the observer in the "whole space-time". Sorry if I quote from my own text to make myself clear:

> [...] Thus just like a certain physics process causes thirst and it is necessary to its existence, thus thirst as well is necessary to the physics process which coexists or precedes it. Thirst cannot occur without a certain physical process, but that certain process cannot occur without thirst. The concept of causality can be misleading, because it always brings us to consider only a small portion of the causal network in order to obtain a prediction. Water boils if I heat it on the fire, but not just because of it; the air surrounding it, my decision to cook a boiled egg, the influence of the sun which allows water to exist at the liquid state, the presence of a life form with the necessity to eat – more: my water needs my (future) partaking of a boiled meal, my turning off the fire, my being full – in short all the present, past and future relationships which define that exact phenomenon and are necessary to it. The boiling water which cooked my egg, indeed, is not the same boiling water with which, if I had made different choices, I would have brewed tea. It is placed in a different chain of relationships.

Best regards and good luck!

Francesco D'Isa

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Jan. 27, 2018 @ 00:58 GMT
Hi Milen Velchev Velev

Very nicely said…. “Physical laws are regarded as fundamental because they are valid everywhere and always, without exceptions. The type of physical laws is to a great extent determined by the properties of time and space. If these properties change, the type of physical laws will change.” dear Milen Velchev Velev Cpasibo esyo ras dlya xorosho slovo Milen...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Jan. 30, 2018 @ 20:24 GMT
Dear Fellow Essayists

This will be my final plea for fair treatment.,

FQXI is clearly seeking to find out if there is a fundamental REALITY.

Reliable evidence exists that proves that the surface of the earth was formed millions of years before man and his utterly complex finite informational systems ever appeared on that surface. It logically follows that Nature must have permanently devised the only single physical construct of earth allowable.

All objects, be they solid, liquid, or vaporous have always had a visible surface. This is because the real Universe must consist only of one single unified VISIBLE infinite surface occurring eternally in one single infinite dimension that am always illuminated mostly by finite non-surface light.

Only the truth can set you free.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Bookmark and Share

Steven Andresen wrote on Feb. 23, 2018 @ 14:04 GMT
Dear Milen

If you are looking for another essay to read and rate in the final days of the contest, will you consider mine please?

A couple of days in and semblance of my essay taking form, however the house bound inactivity was wearing me. I had just the remedy, so took off for a solo sail across the bay. In the lea of cove, I had underestimated the open water wind strengths. My...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.