Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Joe Fisher: on 2/27/18 at 17:59pm UTC, wrote Dear Jonathan, Thank you ever so much for reading my essay and for leaving...

Jonathan Dickau: on 2/27/18 at 1:01am UTC, wrote Thanks for writing Joe.. I did read this essay and found some sense in it....

Joe Fisher: on 2/9/18 at 17:01pm UTC, wrote Andrew, Thank you ever so much for reading my essay and for honestly...

Joe Fisher: on 2/9/18 at 16:41pm UTC, wrote Steven, Thank you ever so much for leaving such a positive comment about...

Andrew Beckwith: on 2/9/18 at 14:22pm UTC, wrote JOE In line with your plea, I re read your essay. Sorry, but, I do not...

Steven Andresen: on 2/9/18 at 12:48pm UTC, wrote Joe I hear your plea for fair treatment Joe. Im sorry you have to plead...

Don Limuti: on 2/6/18 at 6:13am UTC, wrote Hi Joe, I grew up in Bensonhurst (Bay Parkway and Cropsey Ave), and went...

Joe Fisher: on 2/3/18 at 15:26pm UTC, wrote Dear Don Limuti, Thank you ever so much. I lived in Flatbush, Bay Ridge,...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Michael Hussey: "https://www.google.com" in New Nuclear "Magic...

Michael Hussey: "it is really difficult to understand what is all about all the things..." in New Nuclear "Magic...

Stefan Weckbach: "I have a problem with the notion of time in the multiverse scenario that..." in First Things First: The...

Steve Agnew: "It is interesting that you bring up change in the context of free..." in Cosmological Koans

Roger Granet: "By the way, this post was from Roger." in First Things First: The...

david john: "https://www.google.com google.com/ google.com/" in Black Hole Photographed...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Lorraine Ford: "Physics has failed to explain change: physics tries to claim that change is..." in Cosmological Koans

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
July 17, 2019

CATEGORY: FQXi Essay Contest - Spring, 2017 [back]
TOPIC: REALITY AM NOT ROCKET SCIENCE by Joe Fisher [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Joe Fisher wrote on Jan. 10, 2018 @ 20:54 GMT
Essay Abstract

The planet earth existed millions of years before man appeared on its surface. Obviously, Nature must have devised the physical structure that made the earth and man. It would not be logical for Nature to have produced different kinds of physical structures.

Author Bio

Self-taut (thinking makes me tense) realist. ORCID ID 0000-0003-3988-8687. Unaffiliated

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Alan M. Kadin wrote on Jan. 11, 2018 @ 13:35 GMT
Dear Joe,

I read your essay, but I am afraid that I don’t understand your non-standard use of the word “am”. You are clearly an English speaker, so that this is not just bad English. As you know, “am” is the first-person conjugation of the verb “to be” (“I am”), yet you repeatedly use it in the 3rd person.

Descartes said, “I think, therefore I am”. Do you go further into solipsism, that everything you perceive is really just in your mind?

You say that you are a realist. You might be interested in reading my essay, “Fundamental Waves and the Reunification of Physics”, in which I propose that a set of slight modifications from classical physics can give rise to a consistent unified realistic physical picture on all scales. There are no point particles or point gravitational singularities; abstract spacetime and Hilbert space are mathematical artifacts. Electrons are distributed wave packets. Space and time are separate, and are defined by frequency and wavelength of these real waves, which can shift in a gravitational potential. There are no extra dimensions.

Alan Kadin

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Joe Fisher replied on Jan. 11, 2018 @ 15:56 GMT
Dear Alan M. Kadin,

Thank you for reading my essay and for commenting on it. As I explained in the Afterword finale, “The word “is” is ambiguous. The word “am” am not ambiguous.” I will certainly read your essay.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Bookmark and Share

Stephen I. Ternyik wrote on Jan. 11, 2018 @ 14:21 GMT
What about vibration? Light came second. Know about the Memra? Am sure, vibration. Reality is no-thing. Some-thing was created by no-thing.Poor Aristoteles fooled modern science. Socrates misguided the youth to think freely.

Bookmark and Share

Author Joe Fisher replied on Jan. 11, 2018 @ 16:05 GMT
Dear Stephen I. Ternyik,

Thank you for reading my essay and for leaving a comment.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Woodward wrote on Jan. 12, 2018 @ 02:37 GMT
Hi Joe,

well done for fleshing out your ideas. You are onto something when you describe the appearance of the seen. However I do not agree with the model you have come up with. I know you regard your idea as reality and not a model but nevertheless that is what you have created. It would be good if you could add some background knowledge about how the sense of vision works to your self taught intuitions. It is important because you talk about verifying your claim through looking and seeing.

You make assumptions that include nature devising and designing which implies purpose rather than indifferent physical processese. When you say "nature must have..." It isn't necessarily so but an opinion, which could be argued.

I was surprised when you mentioned the teachings of Rabbis as this is something I have not come across you talking about on the FQXi blog and forum pages. Again I think you are onto something when you mention "that an invisible spirit inspired visible light", which is an idea I can compare to a medium that hosts the light. So for example the bending of light rays where that medium is affected by the presence of a large mass.I do not expect your agreement I am just pointing out those places where I think you have a useful point, even if not expressed in a way that I consider technically correct.

The use of "am" throughout your presentation,even though you have explained its reason, is annoying to me and I think does not help the presentation overall.

Kind regards Georgina

Bookmark and Share

Author Joe Fisher replied on Jan. 12, 2018 @ 15:24 GMT
Dear Georgina Woodward,

Thank you for reading my essay and for leaving a comment.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Bookmark and Share

a l wrote on Jan. 16, 2018 @ 09:55 GMT
Dear Mr. Fisher,

Sorry to say, but I cannot make neither head nor tail of your essay.

Best

a.l.

Bookmark and Share

Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich wrote on Jan. 17, 2018 @ 02:04 GMT
Joe, if you ask a believer: "Where is your God?" he will answer: "In heaven". Look at the sky and see a plane. If you climb up, you will again see the plane. Man sees everything as a plane and just moving a lot, he begins to understand the world. But the man moves not only physically but also mentally. And here he starts to create fantasies that are called Sciences.

Joe, last time I appreciated your essay and now I see that I understand you, but I do not see from you the opposite reaction. How do you feel about the fact that space is matter?

Bookmark and Share

Author Joe Fisher replied on Jan. 17, 2018 @ 14:56 GMT
Dear Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich,

Thank you for reading my essay and for leaving a comment. As I explained in my essay, I have concluded from my deep research that Nature must have devised the only permanent real structure of the Universe obtainable for the real Universe existed for millions of years before man and his finite complex informational systems ever appeared on earth. The real physical Universe consists only of one single unified VISIBLE infinite surface occurring eternally in one single infinite dimension that am always illuminated mostly by finite non-surface light. Visible infinite surface could not have been created by a finite invisible God, or by a finite invisible explosion.

Joe Fisher, ORCID ID 0000-0003-3988-8687. Unaffiliated

Bookmark and Share

Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich replied on Jan. 17, 2018 @ 15:47 GMT
Joe, I agree with you that the man sees only the endless surface. Everything else is a result of its motion, the impressions which are etched in the brain.

With respect, Boris Dizhechko

Bookmark and Share

Author Joe Fisher replied on Jan. 18, 2018 @ 15:48 GMT

Thank you for reading my essay and for leaving a comment about it.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Jan. 17, 2018 @ 14:46 GMT
Joe,

It seems most dismiss your ideas as all crazy, so lets have a look and form a view of who it is without vision; I suggest assumptions that it's you may prove flawed;

Scientists write; "..excruciatingly complex articles that are essentially about visible finite matter that was always somehow completely surrounded on all sides by invisible space."

"..humanly contrived complex finite abstract misinformation purportedly suggesting that there are different kinds of abstract and generic finite dimensions.

"..nothing exploded in a big bang singularity, and a zero sized universe."

"Atoms are not mostly empty space because there is no such thing as purely empty space"

"modern physicists got it completely wrong by actively postulating incoherent complex abstract information about the invisible big-bang creation,"

"A team of scientists was able to "split" an atom into its two possible spin states, up and down, and measure the difference between them even after the atom resumed the properties of a single state. Yeah, right."

Hmmm. What was it that seems 'crazy' there?

Let's have an analogy you may argue with if you wish but many may at least see. Absolutely ALL the so called 'matter' we 'see' had a surface of free fermions ('electrons') which interact with and dictate characteristics of all 'EM radiation' (light) whether thought of going 'in' or 'out'. Everything is indeed then 'surface'.

Now thinking hard about it I've found that can start to make more coherent sense of much inconsistent physics!

Best

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Author Joe Fisher replied on Jan. 17, 2018 @ 15:17 GMT
Dear Peter Jackson,

Thank you for reading my essay and for leaving such a positive comment. Let me try one more time to convince anyone who reads my essay that reality am not “my idea.”

I have concluded from my deep research that Nature must have devised the only permanent real structure of the Universe obtainable for the real Universe existed for millions of years before man and his finite complex informational systems ever appeared on earth. The real physical Universe consists only of one single unified VISIBLE infinite surface occurring eternally in one single infinite dimension that am always illuminated mostly by finite non-surface light.

I understood that the theme of the essay contest was for the essayist to try to provide a new cogent explanation for any possible unified singular fundamental basis of reality. All of my fellow essayists seem to have only provided slale rehashes of finite incomprehensible speculation about the behavior of invisible particles.

Joe Fisher, ORCID ID 0000-0003-3988-8687. Unaffiliated

Bookmark and Share

Wilhelmus de Wilde de Wilde wrote on Jan. 17, 2018 @ 17:31 GMT
Joe,

Thank for your reaction on my essay.

I can agree with your "one single unified VISIBLE infinite surface occurring eternally in one single infinite dimension" it has direct lines of connection with the mergence out of the Planck Area of what I call "REALITY LOOPS".An infinite amount of "Realities" is emerging from ONE SINGLE infinite dimension, in my perception a "dimension" that we cannot understand. The what you call "NON SURFACE LIGHT" can be seen as what I am calling "CONSCIOUSNESS"

Wilhelmus de Wilde

Bookmark and Share

Author Joe Fisher replied on Jan. 18, 2018 @ 15:45 GMT
Dear Wilhelmus de Wilde,

Thank you for reading my essay and for leaving a comment about it.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Bookmark and Share

Dizhechko Boris Semyonovich wrote on Jan. 18, 2018 @ 03:27 GMT
Good idea, Joe, we call the space as infinite surface. In mathematics, it is acceptable if it produces New knowledge.

Last competition I was warned that one should not spend time with you. You are not able to understand others and do not give them grades. I'm waiting for you to refute it. Boris Dizhechko

Bookmark and Share

Author Joe Fisher replied on Jan. 18, 2018 @ 16:01 GMT

Thank you for daring to read my essay and for leaving a comment about it. Unfortunately, I do understand that every Pope who has ever lived, and every physicist who has ever lived has lied about there ever being a finite commencement of the real Universe. They knew they lied when they lied, but because of naked greed and the adulation of the ignorant masses, they went on lying.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Jan. 28, 2018 @ 15:34 GMT
Dear Joe Fisher,

Thank you for posting on my essay....

It is nice idea, … in the eye we see only one surface as you defined. It is single surface… Good philosophical idea. So sky is also a surface, with non surface lights like Sun, Moon, stars etc….

But how will you explain the movements of Sun, Moon stars etc…?

Best Regards

=snp

Bookmark and Share

Author Joe Fisher replied on Jan. 28, 2018 @ 18:01 GMT
Dear Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta,

You (and all living creatures) have a complete surface that appears to be in a constant state of motion. However, it cannot be an independent finite state of motion.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Bookmark and Share

Andrew Beckwith wrote on Jan. 29, 2018 @ 00:41 GMT
Joe Fisher

you wrote

Dear Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta,

You (and all living creatures) have a complete surface that appears to be in a constant state of motion. However, it cannot be an independent finite state of motion.

???????????????

What ARE you saying? Can you define your terms?

Thanks

Andrew Beckwith

Bookmark and Share

Author Joe Fisher replied on Jan. 29, 2018 @ 18:05 GMT
Dear Andrew Beckwith,

You, (and all creatures) always had a complete visible surface that appeared to be in a constant state of motion..Each of the dinosaurs always had a complete visible surface as they constantly moved around their misty marshes. There cannot possibly be a finite “law of motion” for only one VISIBLE infinite MOVING surface has ever existed.

That am about as clear as I can get.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Bookmark and Share

Philip Gibbs wrote on Jan. 29, 2018 @ 13:36 GMT
Joe,

I like the trick of using the word "am" in a philosophical sense. It seems to me that you are describing the universe as holographic. Is that correct? I will ask a specific question to try to understand better your idea. If I look at you I will see you on a surface and if you look at me you will see me on a surface. Are those the same surface? Is everyone on the same unique surface or are you taking a solipsistic view as Kadin suggested because of the word "am"?

Bookmark and Share

Author Joe Fisher replied on Jan. 29, 2018 @ 18:24 GMT
Dear Philip Gibbs,

It would be physically impossible for you to ever see a finite me. No matter in which direction you look, you will only ever see a plethora of seamlessly enmeshed flat varied colored filled in outlined surface. I am using the word “am” correctly. E.g. If I state: “It is raining.” You have no option but to understand that I had actually said that “It was raining.”

Thank you ever so much for reading my essay, for leaving a comment, and for giving it a rating.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Bookmark and Share

Author Joe Fisher wrote on Jan. 29, 2018 @ 21:53 GMT
Dear Fellow Essayists

This will be my final plea for fair treatment.,

Reliable evidence exists that proves that the surface of the earth was formed millions of years before man and his utterly complex finite informational systems ever appeared on that surface. It logically follows that Nature must have permanently devised the only single physical construct of earth allowable.

All objects, be they solid, liquid, or vaporous have always had a visible surface. This is because the real Universe must consist only of one single unified VISIBLE infinite surface occurring eternally in one single infinite dimension that am always illuminated mostly by finite non-surface light.

Only the truth can set you free.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Bookmark and Share

Don Limuti wrote on Feb. 3, 2018 @ 00:49 GMT
Hi Joe,

Congratulations on your finely developed essay that justifies making everyone wrong. I realize it AM not easy to do this without knowing THE truth.

I do like a little bit of spam once in a while.

Thanks for your contribution,

Don Limuti

Bookmark and Share

Author Joe Fisher replied on Feb. 3, 2018 @ 15:26 GMT
Dear Don Limuti,

Thank you ever so much. I lived in Flatbush, Bay Ridge, and Bensonhurst for a number of years and worked for the Brooklyn Union Gas Company and they were the happiest years of my life.

Joe

Bookmark and Share

Don Limuti replied on Feb. 6, 2018 @ 06:13 GMT
Hi Joe,

I grew up in Bensonhurst (Bay Parkway and Cropsey Ave), and went to Lafayette HS, then commuted by 2 trains to CCNY (137th St. in Manhattan). I chose CCNY because they had an engineering program. I studied in the Brooklyn Public Library in Flatbush.

Only in retrospect do I realize how good CCNY was:

1. It was free

2. The professors were super and several wrote the texts we used.

It annoys me that kids today are getting in debt for inferior educations. My rant is that we need good free higher education.

Glad to meet someone from the neighborhood!

Don Limuti

Bookmark and Share

Steven Andresen wrote on Feb. 9, 2018 @ 12:48 GMT
Joe

I hear your plea for fair treatment Joe. Im sorry you have to plead for such a thing that should be freely given. I haven't read your essay but I will. I identify with you as a man passionate about his ideas about the world :)

Steve

Bookmark and Share

Author Joe Fisher replied on Feb. 9, 2018 @ 16:41 GMT
Steven,

Thank you ever so much for leaving such a positive comment about my plea for fair treatment.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Bookmark and Share

Andrew Beckwith wrote on Feb. 9, 2018 @ 14:22 GMT
JOE

In line with your plea, I re read your essay. Sorry, but, I do not understand a word of it.

This is not meant as a put down. After you begged me to read it, I did, AGAIN and I came to the same conclusion.

I wish you luck, and this is not meant as scarcasm

Andrew

Bookmark and Share

Author Joe Fisher replied on Feb. 9, 2018 @ 17:01 GMT
Andrew,

Thank you ever so much for reading my essay and for honestly commenting about it. I thought that FQXi.org was seeking to know if Nature was fundamental. All of my fellow essayists seem to have tried to explain what might be fundamental to physics. For instance, in the abstract of your essay you wrote: "We argue this is the most important fundamental question in physics today, for reasons we elaborate upon in the conclusion." You cannot sensibly have a "most" and least important fundamental situation.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Feb. 27, 2018 @ 01:01 GMT
Thanks for writing Joe..

I did read this essay and found some sense in it. I can't say I agree with all you wrote. So I can only give you partial credit.

In my end notes; I wrote that "A stone lifted above the Earth has all its potential energy concentrated in a small volume, where the amount of PE varies with the square of the distance, or height, to which it is lifted. But once the stone is dropped and strikes the Earth; the same energy is spread over a larger volume and shared with a larger object."

I agree it might have been clearer if I emphasized that it fell onto and struck the larger surface, over which the energy was spread. At least I left room for your viewpoint, in my topic this year.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Author Joe Fisher replied on Feb. 27, 2018 @ 17:59 GMT
Dear Jonathan,

Thank you ever so much for reading my essay and for leaving such a positive comment about it.

Joe

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.