Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

theleeban dinesh: on 7/23/18 at 5:26am UTC, wrote Dependence Jio Infocomm Limited Jiofi Local Jio is an Indian versatile...

jing boo: on 5/7/18 at 10:42am UTC, wrote La qualité est évidente. Il n'y a pas de blanc plat sur le cadran, mais...

Riyan Hara: on 3/21/18 at 18:09pm UTC, wrote Thank you for sharing information on your website, blogging greetings Obat...

Dave: on 3/19/18 at 16:18pm UTC, wrote Hi Naina, how to contact you further?

Naina Pal: on 2/22/18 at 8:56am UTC, wrote Hello, This is Naina Pal from Bangalore I am working in Bangalore call...

jagonya herbal: on 2/19/18 at 2:08am UTC, wrote Lukay nakliyat olarak kurulduğu bu günden istanbulun tüm ilçelerinde...

Steve Dufourny: on 2/18/18 at 11:00am UTC, wrote Now about l I don't know if it is a constant, you are going to understand...

Steve Dufourny: on 2/18/18 at 10:27am UTC, wrote Hi All, I d like to discuss about my equation E=m(b)c²+m(nb)l²...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Joe Fisher: "Dear Potential Realists, Yesterday’s Closer to Truth Facebook page..." in Dissolving Quantum...

Andrea White: "Canon is a leading optical product and imaging product company.They have..." in Sounding the Drums to...

Avneesh panwar: "If you are delete our bing search history to visit this platform delete..." in The Quantum Thermodynamic...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Loyal Reality Followers, The September 14, 2018 Closer to Truth..." in Dissolving Quantum...

Contact Laptop Number UK: "Dial @ 0800-014-8456 toll free in UK for instant HP Laptop Contact Number..." in Usurping Quantum Theory

Contact Printer UK: "Find an instant technical support for HP, Epson, and Canon Printers in UK...." in Constructing a Theory of...

Steve Agnew: "Singh has a really good approach for resolving the measurement issues by..." in Space-time from Collapse...

josef smith: "I would like to thank for the efforts you have Hostgator Promo Codes made..." in Superhuman: Book Review...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Dissolving Quantum Paradoxes
The impossibility of building a perfect clock could help explain away microscale weirdness.

Constructing a Theory of Life
An all-encompassing framework of physics could help to explain the evolution of consciousness, intelligence, and free will.

Usurping Quantum Theory
The search is on for a fundamental framework that allows for even stranger links between particles than quantum theory—which could lead us to a theory of everything.

Fuzzballs v Black Holes
A radical theory replaces the cosmic crunchers with fuzzy quantum spheres, potentially solving the black-hole information paradox and explaining away the Big Bang and the origin of time.

Whose Physics Is It Anyway? Q&A with Chanda Prescod-Weinstein
Why physics and astronomy communities must take diversity issues seriously in order to do good science.

FQXi BLOGS
September 19, 2018

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: 2017: The Physics Year in Review [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator Zeeya Merali wrote on Dec. 26, 2017 @ 18:53 GMT
Traingulene, credit: Nature.
It's time for FQXi to look back over the past year and pick out the brightest and best physics stories of 2017, as chosen by quantum physicist Ian Durham, in our end-of-year podcast series.

I'll be posting our annual countdown in three-parts, during the last week of December. In the first part, Ian begins with some housekeeping--clearing up some controversy that arose over one of his pick's from 2015, involving the graph isomorphism problem. Then he notes some of highlights of the year that didn't quite make his top 5, including the production of "traingulene" pictured above (as an atomic force microscopy image and a representation of its structure, source: Nature).

See if you agree with his decisions.

What are your top physics stories of 2017?

Parts 1 and 2 are now posted:

Free Podcast

2017 Physics Countdown Part 1: FQXi's review of the biggest breakthroughs of the year, as chosen by quantum physicist Ian Durham.

LISTEN:

Go to full podcast

Free Podcast

2017 Physics Countdown Part 2: FQXi's review of the biggest breakthroughs of the year, as chosen by quantum physicist Ian Durham, continues.

LISTEN:

Go to full podcast

Stay tuned for part 3, coming in the next few days...

Wishing you all the best for the holidays and a happy new year, from FQXi!

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the forum administrator

report post as inappropriate

Pentcho Valev wrote on Dec. 27, 2017 @ 13:41 GMT
FQXi has had nothing to do with physics since long - perhaps since Max Tegmark found it profitable to become teleologist, psychologist, expert in robotics, etc. At the same time the real problems of physics are huge - this science is dying perhaps. Just an example:

Peter Woit: “This Week’s Hype: The Best Explanation for Everything in the Universe. Today The Atlantic has, via Quanta Magazine, some unadulterated, pure, grade A hype for the holidays: String Theory: The Best Explanation for Everything in the Universe. In a time when the credibility of science is under attack, does anyone else see a problem with telling the public that the “Best Explanation for Everything in the Universe” that science has is a “theory” for which we have no definition or equations, no experimental evidence, and no likelihood of ever getting any?”

Pentcho Valev

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

John R. Cox wrote on Dec. 27, 2017 @ 18:42 GMT
My pick for Top Story of 2017 would be; The announcement at the first of the year of the discovery of three elements filling out the seventh row of the periodic table, and the extended hope that an island of stability might yet be found at an even greater a.m.u. region.

Bookmark and Share

FQXi Administrator Zeeya Merali replied on Dec. 29, 2017 @ 14:27 GMT
I shan't say anymore until the full countdown has been revealed, but there are some chemistry-based picks on the list.

Bookmark and Share

Steve Agnew wrote on Jan. 14, 2018 @ 23:25 GMT
Holy cow...these are the best of 2007? Only one of these discoveries, the interstellar cigar, would make my list.

Bookmark and Share

Steve Agnew replied on Jan. 23, 2018 @ 06:46 GMT
There is a huge debate going on now in physics between those who believe that measurement is key to those who believe that measurement is secondary. The multiverse/stringy/loopy/dark matter/dark energy approaches all seem to have one thing in common: none result from measurements.

Certainly this has got to be worth at least some discourse as a significant issue...

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny wrote on Feb. 18, 2018 @ 10:27 GMT
Hi All,

I d like to discuss about my equation E=m(b)c²+m(nb)l² considering this matter not baryonic , this DM.

If it is correct that explains this quantum gravitation also and this DM probably in the cold perhaps for a balance of our standard model.

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny replied on Feb. 18, 2018 @ 11:00 GMT
Now about l I don't know if it is a constant, you are going to understand why.If this matter exists, so it is produced by something like our phtons are produced by stars.We know that c is a constant.Now if the cosmological spheres producing these particles of gravitation for me are proportional with the BH where they come from and its volume, so perhaps that l is not constant but proportional with...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.