Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Sergio Michelson: on 2/4/18 at 2:24am UTC, wrote Thanks for your post.

adel sadeq: on 2/3/18 at 14:09pm UTC, wrote Hi Sergio, Your idea is fully confirmed by my implementation....

Sergio Michelson: on 1/27/18 at 22:18pm UTC, wrote Nature has always been informational. We should not avoid exploring this...

Joe Fisher: on 1/27/18 at 21:55pm UTC, wrote Dear Sergio Michelson, Reliable evidence exists that proves that the...

Satyavarapu Gupta: on 1/22/18 at 14:00pm UTC, wrote Hi Sergio Michelson, “sharing of information through physical space, and...

Sergio Michelson: on 1/21/18 at 18:13pm UTC, wrote Thank you for your thoughts!

Vladimir Rogozhin: on 1/21/18 at 12:31pm UTC, wrote Correction: Contests FQXi are contests of new ideas...

Vladimir Rogozhin: on 1/21/18 at 12:29pm UTC, wrote Dear Sergio, Contests are contests of new ideas that involve overcoming...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

isabell ella: "If you are facing Cash app related problems and want to get support..." in Cosmic Dawn, Parallel...

Georgina Woodward: "Quite right Lorraine, ( to be clear perhaps I should have said..." in Cosmological Koans

Lorraine Ford: "Honestly Georgina, Wake up! Change of number is NOT energy." in Cosmological Koans

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Michael Hussey: "https://www.google.com" in New Nuclear "Magic...

Michael Hussey: "it is really difficult to understand what is all about all the things..." in New Nuclear "Magic...

Stefan Weckbach: "I have a problem with the notion of time in the multiverse scenario that..." in First Things First: The...

Roger Granet: "By the way, this post was from Roger." in First Things First: The...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
July 18, 2019

CATEGORY: FQXi Essay Contest - Spring, 2017 [back]
TOPIC: Information is fundamental by Sergio Michelson [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Sergio Michelson wrote on Dec. 20, 2017 @ 21:39 GMT
Essay Abstract

This paper will argue that physical processes are driven by information. For us, information means a fundamental “reveal”. It means sharing of information through physical space, and sharing of information fuels change of motion. And ultimately, an entity that doesn't reveal anything about itself in any way does not really exist. The argument in this paper, specifically, is centered around the hypothesis that physical entities can intrinsically carry and share information in space around it, and have the ability to use this shared information. The end result of carrying, sharing and using information is change of motion.

Author Bio

Sergio is not a physicist.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Scott S Gordon wrote on Dec. 21, 2017 @ 00:41 GMT
The premise that everything is based on information is not a new one and many physicists have been trying to advance physics using this idea. You say that a wave formation contains information. Are you of the opinion that the information contained in the wave is more fundamental than the waveform itself or the energy that is responsible for creating the waveform or changes within a waveform? In the end, would a reinterpretation of known physics give us a better understanding?

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Sergio Michelson replied on Dec. 22, 2017 @ 18:49 GMT
This particular premise is new. While the very general idea is not new (think it from bit), this idea is.

Previous ideas didn't yield much in a way of equations that are known to be true. And more importantly, none have provided verifiable predictions.

I don't know if chicken or egg came first. The question is useless. No one will ever know because the answer will never carry any information, no pun intended.

As for reinterpretation of known physics, isn't the entire history of physics just that? No matter how bold the ideas, in the end, it's reinterpretation. The catch is to deliver something that matches reality in a predictive sort of way.

Bookmark and Share

Nainan K. Varghese wrote on Dec. 26, 2017 @ 06:17 GMT
Information is collection of data, originated, stored, arranged and dispensed by real entities and corresponding mechanisms. Further, you state that “We think of a particle as an information processor.” Hence, real entities (particles) are more fundamental than the information, itself.

Bookmark and Share

Author Sergio Michelson replied on Dec. 29, 2017 @ 19:42 GMT
Correct on both counts.

I sense you are trying to point to a flaw in my reasoning, or is it just my imagination?

There is no doubt that there are real physical entities that possess and process information.

I don't claim otherwise. In fact, that's exactly what the theory claims. Maybe you are referring to a theory title that 'information is fundamental'. Yes, after a fashion,...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Woodward wrote on Jan. 3, 2018 @ 03:13 GMT
Hi Sergio, I have taken a look and read your interesting introduction to your model. I'm afraid after that the 'essay' becomes inscrutable to me. Until the very end. Hopefully you will get some readers who can really appreciate what you have presented. You have identified what you consider fundamental, which counts in its favour. Kind regards, Georgina

Bookmark and Share

Author Sergio Michelson replied on Jan. 3, 2018 @ 20:09 GMT
Thank you Georgina. Because of that very end, and the interesting consequences, I hope everyone gives it a look, even a quick one.

Bookmark and Share

Sue Lingo wrote on Jan. 15, 2018 @ 18:51 GMT
Hello Sergio...

Your Mathematical presentation rates a 4E... i.e. Explanation Elegantly Explicit to Equation.

Although I am not qualified to verify all your premises, or check your Math, the Spatial/geometry relationship expressions utilized ... e.g. the distance between 2 points... are apparently derived from the combined Cartesian/Radian coordinate system, and yes, with the...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Sergio Michelson replied on Jan. 17, 2018 @ 03:36 GMT
Thank you for your insights!

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin wrote on Jan. 21, 2018 @ 12:29 GMT
Dear Sergio,

Contests are contests of new ideas that involve overcoming the current crisis of interpretation and representation, a crisis of understanding in fundamental science. You give new ideas for a deep discussion about the nature and role of information in the universe. This is very valuable. I believe that the modern Information Revolution will force physicists to reconsider their views on the foundations of the Universum. I invite you to see my ideas.

Successes in the contest!

Yours faithfully,

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin replied on Jan. 21, 2018 @ 12:31 GMT
Correction: Contests FQXi are contests of new ideas...

Bookmark and Share

Author Sergio Michelson replied on Jan. 21, 2018 @ 18:13 GMT
Thank you for your thoughts!

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher replied on Jan. 27, 2018 @ 21:55 GMT
Dear Sergio Michelson,

Reliable evidence exists that proves that the surface of the earth was formed millions of years before man and his utterly complex finite informational systems ever appeared on that surface. It logically follows that Nature must have permanently devised the only single physical construct of earth allowable.

All objects, be they solid, liquid, or vaporous have always had a visible surface. This is because the real Universe consists only of one single unified VISIBLE infinite surface occurring eternally in one single infinite dimension that am always illuminated mostly by finite non-surface light.

Only the truth can set you free.

Joe Fisher, Realist

Bookmark and Share

Satyavarapu Naga Parameswara Gupta wrote on Jan. 22, 2018 @ 14:00 GMT
Hi Sergio Michelson,

“sharing of information through physical space, and sharing of information fuels change of motion information is fundamental” are very nice concepts Dear Sergio Michelson…..…..….. very nice idea…. I highly appreciate your essay and hope for reciprocity.

I request you please spend some of the valuable time on Dynamic Universe Model also and give your...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

adel sadeq wrote on Feb. 3, 2018 @ 14:09 GMT
Hi Sergio,

Your idea is fully confirmed by my implementation. Have fun :)

https://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/3127

Bookmark and Share

Author Sergio Michelson replied on Feb. 4, 2018 @ 02:24 GMT
Thanks for your post.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.