Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Current Essay Contest

Previous Contests

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fnd.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Thomas Ray: "(reposted in correct thread) Lorraine, Nah. That's nothing like my view...." in 2015 in Review: New...

Lorraine Ford: "Clearly “law-of-nature” relationships and associated numbers represent..." in Physics of the Observer -...

Lee Bloomquist: "Information Channel. An example from Jon Barwise. At the workshop..." in Physics of the Observer -...

Lee Bloomquist: "Please clarify. I just tried to put a simple model of an observer in the..." in Alternative Models of...

Lee Bloomquist: "Footnote...for the above post, the one with the equation existence =..." in Alternative Models of...

Thomas Ray: "In fact, symmetry is the most pervasive physical principle that exists. ..." in “Spookiness”...

Thomas Ray: "It's easy to get wound around the axle with black hole thermodynamics,..." in “Spookiness”...

Joe Fisher: "It seems to have escaped Wolpert’s somewhat limited attention that no two..." in Inferring the Limits on...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

The Complexity Conundrum
Resolving the black hole firewall paradox—by calculating what a real astronaut would compute at the black hole's edge.

Quantum Dream Time
Defining a ‘quantum clock’ and a 'quantum ruler' could help those attempting to unify physics—and solve the mystery of vanishing time.

Our Place in the Multiverse
Calculating the odds that intelligent observers arise in parallel universes—and working out what they might see.

Sounding the Drums to Listen for Gravity’s Effect on Quantum Phenomena
A bench-top experiment could test the notion that gravity breaks delicate quantum superpositions.

Watching the Observers
Accounting for quantum fuzziness could help us measure space and time—and the cosmos—more accurately.

FQXi FORUM
January 17, 2018

CATEGORY: The Nature of Time Essay Contest (2008) [back]
TOPIC: The gravitation and thermodynamics by Alexander Fedorovich Silin [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Alexander Fedorovich Silin wrote on Nov. 3, 2008 @ 10:38 GMT
Essay Abstract

In this essay I would like to discuss two aspects of time: 1) gravitation/thermodynamics relationship; 2) a problem that is rarely discussed by researchers. The matter is the fundamental possibility to investigate other epochs.

Author Bio

Alexander F. Silin, 46 years old. St. Petersburg, Russia. Graduated from St. Petersburg Railway University in 1984. Finished post-graduate studies, applied physics. Free researcher.

Download Essay PDF File

matthew kolasinski wrote on Nov. 7, 2008 @ 09:41 GMT
Good morning Mr. Silin,

re:

"The matter is the fundamental possibility to investigate other epochs."

you're correct that this is rarely discussed. it's hardly considered by the majority of physics research. bit there is indeed a sizable amount of evidence in support of this possibility. this is actually done regularly these days by directing consciousness to the desired time/space coordinate. it is known that this can be done and there are remarkably simple techniques which will permit most people to have at least some degree of success with this. it isn't known how this works, but that it does work is quite clear at this point - for over thirty years now. there are some there in Russia who know about the remote viewing protocol also. it's no secret, at least not now. i know that India has picked up on it and is using it these days as a very active part of their intel services; they don't have so much of an issue with 'spooky mind stuff' there and they've even come up with a couple of significant advancements in how they run the operation. how it works is still a very good question. relativity says that this sort of data transfer is not possible with limitations of light as the best that can be done; no going to the past, no going to the future, no going to distant elsewhere now. somewhat confining. quantum entanglement does not accommodate the effect - there is no data transfer to be had in quantum entanglement. the best attempt at accounting for this effect that i've encountered to date appears to follow your line of reasoning about a complex space metric (noting that this also appears to be implied in quantum entanglement). the notion that this may be accessible through some mechanistic approach is intriguing, but we don't seem yet to have technology quite as good as the carbon based organic quantum computers and curious data acquisition capacity with no moving parts (think about that a minute in contrast to all our manufactured data recording devices...) built into what we come equipped with - as primitive a model as the mind and body may be.

yes, quite a 'fire-ball' of an idea. agreed.

you might like reading www.espresearch.com/espgeneral/doc-SpeedOfThought.pdf

you appear to have hit on a similar idea. the pdf might save you a bit of work with the math.

a physics of consciousness would be good.

thanks for your paper.

:-)

matt kolasinski

Alexander Silin wrote on Nov. 11, 2008 @ 08:04 GMT
Thanks for reading my essay, Matt.

I have read a paper, which you have offered.

There it is a question about 4D space-time where each coordinate has complex dimensionality. In my opinion, it does not help with definition of the hidden parameters.

Several years ago I corresponded with Ivan Makievsky, he had studying a formalism of this metric.

Resource. http://winglion.spb.ru./otp3.htm (unfortunately in Russian).

We have come to conclusion; discreteness destroys beautiful symmetry of this metric.

Besides, there is some psychological barrier. Usually any change of system is function of time. In this hypothesis, time is not available, but there are spin - an additional intrinsic degree of freedom. Thus, change without time is accessible.

Physics of consciousness very interesting theme, but here one essay a little.

Sorry for my rough English.

Alexander Silin.

matthew kolasinski wrote on Nov. 13, 2008 @ 00:25 GMT
Hello again Mr. Silin,

thank you for your reply, it has taken me a little time to get back here.

re:

There it is a question about 4D space-time where each coordinate has complex dimensionality. In my opinion, it does not help with definition of the hidden parameters.

yes, in reviewing your paper again, i see that it wouldn't.

re:

"We have come to conclusion; discreteness destroys beautiful symmetry of this metric."

thank you for your observation on this.

about consciousness, i've been bringing it up here in that it has demonstrated abilities which do not appear to be allowed by any of the existing physical models of our world. what fits the topic here about this is that consciousness does not appear to be bound to a time or space location. this has some implications for how we think about time. the 8-space metric was an attempt to account for this consciousness capability.

re: "time machine', i don't know if your idea will work but it is guaranteed that if nobody thinks about the possibility of accessing other times, it will certainly never happen. less than 100 years ago, travel outside the earth's atmosphere was science fiction.

i'll read your paper a third time. maybe there's something useful there for my puzzle over the problem of consciousness wandering through time.

thank you again,

matt kolasinski

Ryan Westafer wrote on Dec. 3, 2008 @ 00:45 GMT
I appreciate your very nice essay.

"state of quantum superposition" -the vacuum!

"abnormally high temperature of the solar crown" -yes, mass is "boiling off!" Nuclear decay within the sun and photon emission at the surface.

Your philosophical bit is very nice too! Yes, nature can only *persist* in harmony with the universe. We may exploit entropy to boil off the matter of the universe into heat however we like. Finally, our existence can decay rapidly (materialistically we may accelerate in this direction as fast as we like!) into heat... or we can endeavor to survive in harmonious balance with the universe. Harmonious survival isn't easy- survival goes against entropy!

Alexander Silin wrote on Dec. 6, 2008 @ 15:47 GMT
Dear Ryan,

I very much enjoyed your essay.

Thank You for bring interest in my essay and sorry for a delay of a feedback.

It demanded reflections.

1. «State of quantum superposition - the vacuum» - excellent! I have not thought of this.

2. I did not mean thermonuclear reaction within of the Sun and photon emission at the surface.

The movement of object...

view entire post

Cristi Stoica wrote on Dec. 13, 2008 @ 09:59 GMT
Dear Mr. Silin,

You establish very interesting connections between quantum theory, gravity, thermodynamics and time. Congratulations!

Best wishes,

Cristi Stoica

Flowing with a Frozen River

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.