Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

songjoong df: on 1/2/18 at 8:53am UTC, wrote jual qnc jelly gamat di magelang jual qnc jelly gamat di mataram jual qnc...

songjoong df: on 12/27/17 at 6:46am UTC, wrote cara menjadi reseller qnc jelly gamat Cara Menjadi Agen Qnc Jelly Gamat ...

Eric S.: on 1/10/09 at 3:25am UTC, wrote I feel your pain, RE the lecturing physician that invoked "Quantum...

Plato: on 10/28/08 at 16:50pm UTC, wrote "The supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements...

William Orem: on 10/25/08 at 21:45pm UTC, wrote It’s Halloween time, and the blogosphere is thick with ghosts. (Not those...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: ""The motion of the solar system, and the orientation of the plane of the..." in Why Time Might Not Be an...

Jim Snowdon: "On the permanently dark side of the Earth, the stars would appear to stay..." in The Nature of Time

Georgina Woodward: "Hi Jorma, some thoughts; You mention mutual EM connection. I think you..." in Why Time Might Not Be an...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

akash hasan: "Some students have an interest in researching and space exploration. I..." in Announcing Physics of the...

Michael Jordan: "Excellent site. Plenty of helpful information here. I am sending it to some..." in Review of "Foundations of...

Anonymous: "Excellent site. Plenty of helpful information here. I am sending it to some..." in Constructing a Theory of...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

Dissolving Quantum Paradoxes
The impossibility of building a perfect clock could help explain away microscale weirdness.

FQXi BLOGS
May 26, 2019

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: Quantum Ghost Hunting [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Blogger William Orem wrote on Oct. 25, 2008 @ 21:45 GMT

It’s Halloween time, and the blogosphere is thick with ghosts. (Not those ghosts.) They seem to be staging a comeback as well in popular media, perhaps as a sign of the general anti-science trend that’s been befogging American culture for much of the last decade. Gone, however, are the drafty houses and niter-encrusted mausoleums that used to be the favorite haunts of our nearly...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

report post as inappropriate

Plato wrote on Oct. 28, 2008 @ 16:50 GMT
"The supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience".Einstein

William declaring one's position and defining it as "being" will not reduce the thought that somehow even in "such a declaration" you might have offered sound advice? Okay, you were influenced by, etc?

This is not my perception, but one that could be pervasive out there no matter how wrong it was "in some views" for one to entertain the physicist and his allegations as to consciousness at a quantum,level. But for a price, your agenda?

Secondly, such a distinction too, infinite regress reductionism, one still has to contend with interacting with the world and always the pursuance for knowledge and truth that one seeks such a formate that points to possibly Plato's success.

At what constitutes ideas, ideal, and their formation to methods of discerningly testable methods to such a cause, is not unwarranted. Needless to say, it is very difficult traversing new ground. Yet objectively it finds it results as tried and tested method.

The dimensionality of geometry pulled into higher dimensions?

At which level do you think Dali can be compared to see that such a thought about conviction of E8 maybe has it's relations to dimensional thinking? See added picture below.

Artists are sometime better equipped then the scientist to see how such a new idea can be transformed into a "viable sociological ascent to views on religion and Dali would be no exception regardless of his was in life. "Dynamical triangulation" to some cubist revolt to seeing the world in new ways.

I think most know of the difficulty.

Best,

attachments: s1coxeter.gif

Bookmark and Share

Eric S. wrote on Jan. 10, 2009 @ 03:25 GMT
I feel your pain, RE the lecturing physician that invoked "Quantum Mechanics" as a springboard into the absurd and unprovable. I've found that many otherwise-rational people have a metaphysical soft spot somewhere, some particular topic that suddenly lights up the eyes and brings out the crazy.

You are absolutely right that any new, difficult-to-grasp theory can serve as this springboard for people, like the radio ghosts you referenced, or the resurgent belief in the metaphysical properties of magnets.

I think Quantum Mechanics is especially susceptible to this though, because of its connection to "uncertainty". To the layperson, QM often is interpreted as some version of "Scientists have finally discovered that they [scientists] can't really be certain about the fundamental nature of the universe." In other words, even more than radio and magnets, QM *appears* to explicitly open the door to metaphysical speculation.

On a side note, I've seen "Einstein's theories of relativity" invoked in the same soft-headed way by well-meaning cultural theorists: "Einstein proved that everything is relative, so therefore [insert any statement you like about cultural relativism]"

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.