Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

matthew kolasinski: on 12/25/08 at 3:38am UTC, wrote hello Christi, thanks for your comments. re: Thermodynamics and the...

Cristi Stoica: on 12/24/08 at 8:56am UTC, wrote Dear Matthew, Your essay presents a broad vision on time, from a...

Chris Kennedy: on 11/29/08 at 16:21pm UTC, wrote Matt, I just left you another response on my thread. Sorry for the delay. ...

JOSE CURIEL: on 11/25/08 at 23:31pm UTC, wrote MR MATT KOLASINSKI: PLEASE REVIEW MY ANSWER TO YOUR INTERESTING COMMENTS...

John Merryman: on 11/24/08 at 22:44pm UTC, wrote Matt, The ones having a problem with it seem to confuse "confirmed," with...

matthew kolasinski: on 11/24/08 at 6:02am UTC, wrote Hello again John, i just left a post at your site on this, hadn't noticed...

John Merryman: on 11/23/08 at 16:10pm UTC, wrote Matt, (from Chris Kennedy's thread;) "if: -'time/space' and: -'time'...

John Merryman: on 10/26/08 at 23:25pm UTC, wrote Matt, Religion is determined to prove life has meaning and science is...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar..." in Dissolving Quantum...

Georgina Woodward: "Just shutting up and calculating won't do. The steps are; correctly..." in Space-time from Collapse...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar..." in Dissolving Quantum...

Georgina Woodward: "Specifically identifying and naming the issue is a significant advance. It..." in Space-time from Collapse...

Steven Andresen: "Anybody got the inside word on the theme for this years essay contest? ..." in Alternative Models of...

john smith: "It's a new thing for my knowledge I am looking for the same I recently..." in Neutrino mysteries,...

Elina Williams: "Technology is becoming an integral part of our life. From handheld devices..." in Manipulating the Quantum...

Jena Somerhalder: "Hello! I must say this post is very interesting for reading. I found there..." in Time in Physics & Entropy...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Dissolving Quantum Paradoxes
The impossibility of building a perfect clock could help explain away microscale weirdness.

Constructing a Theory of Life
An all-encompassing framework of physics could help to explain the evolution of consciousness, intelligence, and free will.

Usurping Quantum Theory
The search is on for a fundamental framework that allows for even stranger links between particles than quantum theory—which could lead us to a theory of everything.

Fuzzballs v Black Holes
A radical theory replaces the cosmic crunchers with fuzzy quantum spheres, potentially solving the black-hole information paradox and explaining away the Big Bang and the origin of time.

Whose Physics Is It Anyway? Q&A with Chanda Prescod-Weinstein
Why physics and astronomy communities must take diversity issues seriously in order to do good science.

FQXi FORUM
November 13, 2018

CATEGORY: The Nature of Time Essay Contest (2008) [back]
TOPIC: Some Thoughts on Time by Matthew P. Kolasinski [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Matthew P. Kolasinski wrote on Oct. 13, 2008 @ 09:42 GMT
Essay Abstract

A consideration of the meaning of the concept of time in physics within an historical cultural context, including evolutionary and perceptual factors.

Author Bio

I am primarily a human being. While my life's work appears to be a study in "alternative economics", I have something called curiosity about a wide variety of subjects, including physics, history, consciousness, perception, and have additional interests in philosophy, metaphysics, sociology, archaeology, anthropology and what might be called integrative systems. I have a very diverse background with extensive experience in fine and commercial arts, from which most of the material on perception is derived. I enjoy writing.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

John Merryman wrote on Oct. 22, 2008 @ 01:58 GMT
Matt,

That's an interesting, well written and concise history of the evolution of the concept of time. As you seem to be, I've come at this discussion from the perspective of seeking the foundations on which our complex reality is based and it can be much more interesting and informative than just following the daily news, which can be very heavy, while not being very filling.

Out of this, one of my other primary interests is also "alternative economics." Here are some essays I've written on the topic;

http://www.exterminatingangel.com/index.php?option=com
_content&task=view&id=203&Itemid=118

http://www.dissidentvoic
e.org/2008/07/reverse-shock-doctrine/

This repeats some ideas of the previous, with some additional insight;

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/9/20/18219/4119?n
ew=true

Here is the only author I've found thinking along the same terms of currency as a public utility, though she doesn't get into bottom up community banking, but just national banks:

http://webofdebt.wordpress.com/monetary-proposal/

It seems most alternative currency models are local currencies. This worked well when the economy was localized, but we have a long way to fall to get back to that stage. That's why the distinction between the monetary system and the banking system needs to be clarified, as we need a top down national currency, with a bottom up banking system.

Regards, John

Bookmark and Share

Matti Pitkänen wrote on Oct. 23, 2008 @ 07:14 GMT
Hi Matt,

your essay represents elegantly the aspects of time which theoretical physicists have unfortunately forgotten as the reality has been gradually replaced with models of reality. Time is much more than fourth space-time coordinate, the geometric time. What we perceive is subjective time. It correlates strongly with the geometric time, at least in our western wake-up consciousness, but is definitely not identical with it. Otherwise we would not have the arrow of time. Unfortunately this difference has been systematically neglected by most of theoretical physicists.

One important aspect you make clear is the evolution of the experience about time. The time scale of planned action and memory has been increasing during biological and cultural evolution. Also meditation practices do the same at the level of individual. What this really means is a fascinating problem for a physicists willing to do consciousness theory.

Bookmark and Share

matthew kolasinski wrote on Oct. 24, 2008 @ 05:33 GMT
Hi John,

thank you for your comments. i'm glad you liked it. reading yours, i thought you might.

i'm sure it would be fun to get into a chat about econ. with you, but i think i want to try to stick to the topic at hand here.

i will look at the links you've provided. it might be a little while before i can get around to them though. i will try to get back to you on that.

thanks again,

matt

Bookmark and Share

matthew kolasinski wrote on Oct. 24, 2008 @ 05:54 GMT
Hello Mr. Pitkänen,

wow. thank you very much for your comments.

yes, the time scale of future directed thought in both distance and scope does appear to be increasing.

it will be interesting to see if we hit any biological limits there. it seems to be increasingly a distributed process, with some curious side effects. evolving organically, there's no central planning, no one person knows what's going on. but things seem to work out. very curious. :-)

there's a handful of serious scientists looking into some aspects of consciousness that i'm aware of from my own personal interests. Russell Targ's one. you might find the paper at www.espresearch.com/espgeneral/doc-SpeedOfThought.pdf interesting. maybe just a curiosity; it's more toward classical than your involvements seem to be.still, looking at other's well done creative endeavors can often spark inspiration in one's own. provides contrast... ;-)

but the physical dynamics of the actual interface between consciousness and experienced reality, to the best of my knowledge, remains entirely uncharted territory.

thank you again,

matt.

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous wrote on Oct. 24, 2008 @ 09:02 GMT
If the increasing time scale is identified as time scale of memory and planned action the limits in my private TGD Universe would not be limited so severely by biology as we are used to believe also the size of organism of course loosely correlates with this time scale.

The physical dynamics between consciousness and experienced reality is indeed uncharted territory and one can make only guesses. The fact that 96 per cent of matter is unknown dark matter allows a lot of room for theorizing.

Magnetic body carrying dark matter is the ontological novelty, which acts as intentional agent in TGD based model of life using biological body as a motor instrument and sensory receptor. Maxwell's electrodynamics has no room for magnetic bodies. EEG would represent electromagnetic communications to the magnetic body and control signals from it to biological body. From wave length of EEG one can deduce the size of the layer of magnetic body using EEG for its purposes: 7.8 Hz corresponds to Earth's circumference so that our magnetic bodies would have astrophysical size. Only the fact that sensory input is from nearby environment and from our biological body would create the illusion that we are nothing but our biological bodies. Libet's findings that sensory data is frzction of second ole finds explanation in this framework: it takes sometime for sensory data to be communicated to magnetic body.

The evolution of magnetic bodies would distinguish between us and our cousins having almost identical genome and biology. Cultural evolution would be evolution of magnetic bodies.

Best Regards,

Matti

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

John Merryman wrote on Oct. 24, 2008 @ 10:41 GMT
Matt,

Yea, economics is definitely off topic, though I find the same convective cycle of expanding energy and collapsing structure motivating economic and political processes, as it describes the various physical disciplines.

As for this dichotomy describing consciousness, that elemental essence of being, manifested in our physical brain, travels with the energy, from past to future, while the mind is the structure of events receding/collapsing into the past, as the energy manifesting it breaks down and radiates away. I went into this on Carlo Rovelli's thread that "The right brained parallel processor amounts to a thermostat, in its measuring and reacting to the energies of the moment, while the left brained serial processor amounts to a clock, in that it analyses the sequential cause and effect of events."

Bookmark and Share

matthew kolasinski wrote on Oct. 25, 2008 @ 20:48 GMT
I’ve been reading the other entries here and finding that the sampling affords an opportunity to elucidate what I had intended with, “…may reflect more of the subjective human context from which it arose than an objective reality.”

With hardly a glance, it can be seen from the diversity of even this small sampling of work here the extent to which personal experiences, what people have been exposed to, what they have selected from those experiences as matters of personal taste, cultural background influences and personal motivations have all conspired to shape “objective perceptions”.

This offers an example of what had been intended here with the observation that concepts are significantly shaped by the context from which they arise.

“Objectivity” appears to be largely illusory.

The greatest challenge facing science today may not be the acquisition of meaningful data, data interpretation, or a coherent modeling of a description of the observed data, so much as that the exploration is being conducted by human beings within very human contextual settings.

A significantly deeper understanding of the nature of what it is that is conducting the exploration and its relationship to that exploration would appear to be called for.

Matt Kolasinski

10 25 08

Bookmark and Share

John Merryman wrote on Oct. 26, 2008 @ 02:23 GMT
Matt,

Life is the journey.

Bookmark and Share

matthew kolasinski wrote on Oct. 26, 2008 @ 19:53 GMT
Hello John,

re:

Life is the journey.

lol, yes. :-)

"what a long strange trip..." as the song goes.

suspecting this to be a seriously conservative estimate of the situation.

matt

Bookmark and Share

John Merryman wrote on Oct. 26, 2008 @ 23:25 GMT
Matt,

Religion is determined to prove life has meaning and science is determined to prove nature isn't an illusion.

Perhaps they are both wrong.

Life doesn't have meaning because meaning is static and reductionistic, while reality is dynamic and wholistic.

Nature is an illusion because motion is the basis of form, not the other way around.

A life is like a sentence in the larger story. It takes what came before, adds a little and passes it on. Destination is just punctuation.

Regards, John

Bookmark and Share

John Merryman wrote on Nov. 23, 2008 @ 16:10 GMT
Matt,

(from Chris Kennedy's thread;)

"if:

-'time/space'

and:

-'time' emerges from velocity,

then:

-'space'_______________________

i'll leave you to fill in the blank.

coming to suspect that matter arises from the same source."

There is the vacuum and there are fluctuations. Dimensions and volume describe the vacuum. Time and temperature describe the fluctuations.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16095-its
-confirmed-matter-is-merely-vacuum-fluctuations.html

To quote the last line;

"So if the LHC confirms that the Higgs exists, it will mean all reality is virtual."

Bookmark and Share

matthew kolasinski wrote on Nov. 24, 2008 @ 06:02 GMT
Hello again John,

i just left a post at your site on this, hadn't noticed the post here at the time.

thanks again.

matt.

Bookmark and Share

John Merryman wrote on Nov. 24, 2008 @ 22:44 GMT
Matt,

The ones having a problem with it seem to confuse "confirmed," with "proven."

(Separate tests showing the same result confirm it, they don't prove it, since a third test might have a different result.)

I most liked the response from the guy who said he just found out his savings were illusionary, now he finds out everything else is too.

It would be very interesting if the mainstream press latches on to the story; 'Scientists theorize reality is an illusion. Economists confirm it.'

Bookmark and Share

JOSE CURIEL wrote on Nov. 25, 2008 @ 23:31 GMT
MR MATT KOLASINSKI:

PLEASE REVIEW MY ANSWER TO YOUR INTERESTING COMMENTS IN

THE ESSAY TIME PARADOXES.THANKS.JOSE CURIEL

Bookmark and Share

Chris Kennedy wrote on Nov. 29, 2008 @ 16:21 GMT
Matt,

I just left you another response on my thread. Sorry for the delay.

CJ

Bookmark and Share

Cristi Stoica wrote on Dec. 24, 2008 @ 08:56 GMT
Dear Matthew,

Your essay presents a broad vision on time, from a historical and cultural perspective, to various concepts of time in practice, in psychology or in physics. Interesting the connection between the French Revolution and the Thermodynamics. I liked the explanation of some aspects of time you provide via patterns.

Best regards,

Cristi Stoica

Bookmark and Share

matthew kolasinski wrote on Dec. 25, 2008 @ 03:38 GMT
hello Christi,

thanks for your comments.

re: Thermodynamics and the French Revolution,

there's an interesting study of this, the approach to which it would be desirable to extend to much of science, to pay attention to the cultural context which gives rise to, nurtures and not infrequently colors concepts.

see:

The Two Principle Laws of Thermodynamics

A Cultural and Historical Exploration

by J. H. van den Berg

Trans. by Bernd Jager, David Jager &Dryer Krugen.

Duquesne University Press, Pittsburgh, PA

thanks again,

matt.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.