Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Jonathan Dickau: on 5/20/20 at 13:20pm UTC, wrote Thank you Peter... For the kind words of explanation. It is looking like...

Zeeya Merali: on 5/20/20 at 10:40am UTC, wrote Hi Jonathan, Well, I am sure Niayesh Afshordi will be pleased to see that...

Peter Jackson: on 5/20/20 at 9:47am UTC, wrote Jonathan, 'Dark Flow', it's axis and helicity are what WMAP...

Jonathan Dickau: on 5/19/20 at 16:45pm UTC, wrote Well now that's a lot of egg on my face... This is 12 year old news. ...

Jonathan Dickau: on 5/19/20 at 14:33pm UTC, wrote As it turns out... The appearance of a dark flow, as described by...

Jonathan Dickau: on 5/19/20 at 11:24am UTC, wrote Greetings Professor Afshordi, In your work with Pourhasan and Mann a few...

Plato: on 10/3/08 at 12:16pm UTC, wrote Oops Picture one should be two, and vice versa.

Plato: on 10/3/08 at 12:14pm UTC, wrote One would have to understand the full scope of the geometrical propensity...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "Stefan, I only referenced that article because it stated that a gyroscopes..." in Answering Mermin’s...

John Cox: "Georgina, beg pard, are you suggesting that the unpaired Ag electron is..." in Answering Mermin’s...

Steve Dufourny: "Hello Jim, this time seems a parameter inside this physicality correlated..." in The Nature of Time

Jim Snowdon: "Hi Steve, On the nature of time, we can assume that time exists..." in The Nature of Time

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Prasad, it is a philosophical approach interesting. Like I see you..." in Alternative Models of...

Steve Dufourny: "Hi all, I am occupied here in finland in creating several projects like a..." in Global Collaboration

jim hughes: "We can probably say a lot more about the content of consciousness. But we..." in Understanding...

PRASAD DIVATE: "Hi all, I would like to add one more point here in different context: In..." in Understanding...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Time to Think
Philosopher Jenann Ismael invokes the thermodynamic arrow of time to explain how human intelligence emerged through culture.

Lockdown Lab Life
Grounded physicists are exploring the use of online and virtual-reality conferencing, and AI-controlled experiments, to maintain social distancing. Post-pandemic, these positive innovations could make science more accessible and environmentally-friendly.

Is Causality Fundamental?
Untangling how the human perception of cause-and-effect might arise from quantum physics, may help us understand the limits and the potential of AI.

Building Agency in the Biology Lab
Physicists are using optogenetics techniques to make a rudimentary agent, from cellular components, which can convert measurements into actions using light.

Think Quantum to Build Better AI
Investigating how quantum memory storage could aid machine learning and how quantum interactions with the environment may have played a role in evolution.

FQXi BLOGS
December 2, 2020

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: From Cosmic Lighthouses to Dark Flow, by Niayesh Afshordi [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator Zeeya Merali wrote on Sep. 30, 2008 @ 19:33 GMT
Everybody’s been talking about the new and mysterious “dark flow” that’s supposedly tugging on galaxies from beyond the edge of the observable universe. Cosmologist Niayesh Afshordi wonders if it really deserves the hype.

From Niayesh Afshordi:

It is no secret that modern cosmologists have developed an obsession with the dark sciences; or at least, that’s what you may think...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the forum administrator

v wrote on Oct. 1, 2008 @ 13:13 GMT
Niayesh,

Not being a physicist, could you explain in simple terms what the "beta model" is? what other models are there? and which model do you think might have been more representative? how dramatically would the use of a particular model affect the results?

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Niayesh wrote on Oct. 1, 2008 @ 20:41 GMT
In the beta model, the gas density is assumed to be spherically symmetric and falling off as (1+(r/r_c)^2)^(-1.5*beta), where r is the distance from the cluster center and r_c and beta are constants. The gas temperature is also assumed to be constant. There is no physical reason for any of these assumptions and some of them may be very badly broken. In particular, if you use X-ray data to fit for the best beta-model, it tends to underpredict the gas density on small scales and overpredict it on large scales. The latter could be particularly problematic for interpreting Sunyaev-Zeldovich observations.

Bookmark and Share

Plato wrote on Oct. 3, 2008 @ 12:14 GMT
One would have to understand the full scope of the geometrical propensity of that event. Whether one might call it the "spherical cow" or not, it follows that this effect blinds, while considered quite a natural function in our everyday world. The light has often caught most of us off guard.

Of course thanks to one of the blog post contributors here should be mentioned to help in this understanding. As well that one would like to help explain PI's understanding and idea of the "mathematical construct" presented by Tegmark

It would be of some help if some more html choices to italicizing quotes might be allowed here and links.

First picture

"We see a pulsar, then, when one of its beams of radiation crosses our line-of-sight. In this way, a pulsar is like a lighthouse. The light from a lighthouse appears to be "pulsing" because it only crosses our line-of-sight once each time it spins. Similarly, a pulsar "pulses" because we see bright flashes every time the star spins."

Second Picture

"When scientists refer to a spherical cow, we are poking fun at ourselves. We are admitting that some of our models or descriptions of things are far more simple than the actual object, like to say that a cow has a spherical shape. The phenomena we study are often complex, and including too many details can hinder, rather than help our understanding. Often it is useful to study a simplified model which contains only the most important general characteristics. Such a model can be more easily studied using numerical or analytical methods and then compared to observations."

It would help to read a bit on spherical cow to get the jest of the understanding what an event can reveal in the Lighthouse.

"Generally the SNR looks different "in each of these different wavelengths", just like you and I look different to another human being (who looks at the visible light) then we do to a bee or a snake (who are able to detect ultraviolet and infrared light, respectively)."

Our measures(In gamma) help us to see in other ways. Consider high energy particle release? Glast. Calorimetric information.

Best,

attachments: lighthouse_pulsar.gif, SNRcartoon_small.gif

Bookmark and Share

Plato wrote on Oct. 3, 2008 @ 12:16 GMT
Oops

Picture one should be two, and vice versa.

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on May. 19, 2020 @ 11:24 GMT
Greetings Professor Afshordi,

In your work with Pourhasan and Mann a few years back; you proposed a scenario where a black hole in a 5-d universe created a white hole in 4-d spacetime, whose emanations shoud appear to come from everywhere like the CMB. My research predicts a similar transition for the early universe, and suggests it may be part of an even larger trend.

At the ultra mega large scale; the cosmos would be asymmetric (a global asymmetry), even while local symmetries hold to millions of light years out, and this means we are headed toward another black hole at the cold dark end of our universe. If this is true; could we be feeling the pull of that black hole already? Could distant clusters be feeling its effect?

All the Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on May. 19, 2020 @ 14:33 GMT
As it turns out...

The appearance of a dark flow, as described by Professor Afshordi, is predicted by my research (or at least this is confirmatory). And these results were presented at a breakout session on Quantum and Analog Gravity Models at GR22 in Valencia last year, hosted by him. So he is somewhat familiar with my work.

I was very fortunate to have my posters presented even though I was forced to be absent due to my father's illness and hospitalization. I have to thank Jorge Pullin, Ivan Agullo, and Niayesh Afshordi for assisting to make that possible. My Dad had several months of relative health and well-being before getting hit with Covid-19 and perishing a day before his 88th birthday.

But at this time; I want to share the same material more broadly, and to encourage discussion, as it appears to directly relate to this forum article.

My poster is downloadable here:

Theories of Quantum and Analog Gravity Represented in the Mandelbrot Set (Poster)

The published paper is available here:

Theories of Quantum & Analog Gravity Represented in the Mandelbrot Set

And my submission for the Gravity Research Foundation 2020 awards, a very brief paper summarizing this work, is attached.

Warm Regards,

Jonathan

attachments: Confluence.pdf

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on May. 19, 2020 @ 16:45 GMT
Well now that's a lot of egg on my face...

This is 12 year old news. Probably long disproved. The fact it appeared on the front page was triggered by someone posting spam. I even marked their comment for deletion, but I never checked the date of the article. Boy oh boy....

Regards,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on May. 20, 2020 @ 09:47 GMT
Jonathan,

'Dark Flow', it's axis and helicity are what WMAP and Planck have confirmed in increasing detail, proving the inconsistency of our (Big Bang/Black Hole) cosmological model which can't produce them. As officially announced (if ignored!). Was it the flow you referred to? They're the main elements of the set termed the CMB's 'peculiar anisotropies' which I referred to in my essay. Only ONE alternative model has so far reproduced them, the cyclic one I also referred to.

Bookmark and Share

FQXi Administrator Zeeya Merali wrote on May. 20, 2020 @ 10:40 GMT
Hi Jonathan,

Well, I am sure Niayesh Afshordi will be pleased to see that his work is still being discussed. :) Sorry, it looks like we're having a bit of difficulty with spam resurrecting old posts. We're trying to fix things now.

FWIW (according to Wikipedia at least!), Planck found no evidence for Dark Flow (https://arxiv.org/abs/1303.5090), back in 2013, but another team claimed to see some evidence in WMAP and Planck data in 2014: https://arxiv.org/abs/1411.4180. Make of that what you will...

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on May. 20, 2020 @ 13:20 GMT
Thank you Peter...

For the kind words of explanation. It is looking like my research predicts a bounce at the end of this major cycle, and that the current state of the universe is the rebound from an earlier bounce. So there is some agreement.

Thank you Zeeya...

Your thoughtful explanation makes me feel like less of a nitwit. And I'll be more well-informed on the current state of this debate from now on. I just have to look at the date of the initial post next time something pops up.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.