Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

kevin cook: on 3/1/18 at 6:31am UTC, wrote Nice post. Thanks for updating more interesting things about the science....

alena lis: on 8/2/16 at 9:14am UTC, wrote Thanks for useful information!

Steve Dufourny: on 1/2/16 at 11:05am UTC, wrote I d like to tell you that I beleive humbly that I found the gravitation...

Steve Dufourny: on 12/22/15 at 21:12pm UTC, wrote Hello Georgina, I am going to see it soon,I am persuaded that it will be...

Steve Dufourny: on 12/19/15 at 22:00pm UTC, wrote Be the force with you dear Jedis of the Sphere .......

Steve Dufourny: on 12/18/15 at 9:22am UTC, wrote This universal gravitation is an universal equilibrium probably linked with...

Steve Dufourny: on 12/17/15 at 11:27am UTC, wrote Dark matter is logically composed by particles of gravitation.I named them...

Steve Dufourny: on 12/14/15 at 10:53am UTC, wrote Furthermore, you imagine the % of this dark matter in our universe, we have...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Lorraine Ford: "I am aware that Max Tegmark is the director of the organization that runs..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

Georgina Woodward: "What is happening in material reality provides the connection to inertia...." in Bonus Koan: Distant...

Georgina Woodward: ""We saw early on that as conformed by countless experiment, there is no..." in Bonus Koan: Distant...

Ian Durham: ""Loony" Max Tegmark is the director of the organization that runs this..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

andrea gonzalez: "Interesting stuff to read. Keep it up. If want to collect free gift card..." in Memory, Causality and...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in First Things First: The...

Poker Online: "https://www.jakartapoker.net/" in Downward causation:...

Enquire us: "Your Ro system desires regular maintenance to confirm it’s continually in..." in Agency in the Physical...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi BLOGS
August 25, 2019

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: Detecting Dark Matter Using Space-Based Quantum Optics [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator Zeeya Merali wrote on Mar. 25, 2015 @ 11:26 GMT
View from the conference centre, Erice
I’m lucky enough to be attending a COST Action workshop on quantum foundations currently taking place in Erice, Italy, with lots of FQXi folk in attendance. (Thank you to the organisers, FQXi’s Angelo Bassi, Catalina Oana Curceanu and Detlef Duerr and the meeting’s sponsors for inviting me.) I’ll keep you posted on the highlights throughout the week (and beyond, with a few podcast specials in the works).

Much of the first day was taken up with discussions of matter-wave interferometry. Quantum mechanics tells us that the boundary between waves and particles is murky at small scales. But just how far does this ambiguity stretch? Markus Arndt and Jonas Rodewald of the University of Vienna, and James Bateman, of Southampton University, opened the meeting by talking about ways to test whether ever-larger particles display quantum properties such as superposition, the ability to be in two places at the same time, for instance. (Bateman works with FQXi member Hendrik Ulbricht and you can read more about Ubricht’s Southampton tests of the quantum limits in an article written by reporter Sophie Hebden.)

Bateman’s talk particularly caught my attention when he mentioned plans to put such quantum experiments in space to try to detect dark matter. Although we have good evidence for the existence of dark matter — which is invisible but exerts a gravitational pull on other matter — from astronomical observations, physicists still do not know what it is and have devised numerous clever experiments to try to detect it directly and help identify it.

The inspiration to link dark matter to quantum optics came from an intriguing suggestion in 2013 by C. Jess Reidel that dark matter could be causing decoherence in matter wave experiments (knocking fragile quantum objects and causing them to lose their nifty quantum properties). As Reidel said in the abstract to a paper in Phys. Rev. D: “The apparent dark matter wind we experience as the Sun travels through the Milky Way ensures interferometers and related devices are directional detectors, and so are able to provide unmistakable evidence that decoherence has Galactic origins.”

It was a provocative notion and Bateman and co decided to investigate further. “This was an interesting idea, but essentially none of the details had been worked out, so we started talking to theoretical particle physicists,” Bateman told me. Those theoretical physicists were initially dismissive, but together with the experimental team, they came up with a candidate dark matter particle that would have evaded detection by dedicated collider experiments and would not have shown up in high energy collider experiments, but might show itself in a matter-wave experiment.

It turned out that this candidate could not actually be the decoherence mechanism in any existing matter-wave experiments, says Bateman. The hypothesised particle has a mass of about 0.02 per cent of the electron. “It is very low mass, which means its de Broglie wavelength” — the wavelength associated with quantum particles — “is large compared with the nuclei in normal matter,” Bateman explains. This means that it coherently interacts strongly with normal matter — so much so that “it couldn’t penetrate Earth’s atmosphere, let alone the glass and metal vacuum chambers of, for example, Markus Arndt’s interferometers,” says Bateman.

It’s not too much of a disappointment, though. A dark matter decoherence mechanism, despite sounding cool, isn’t that different from other decoherence mechanisms, in which the environment interacts with a quantum system, destroying its fragile properties. So, notes Bateman, even if it had worked in theory, it wouldn’t have magically solved the quantum measurement problem in a new way.

But this still left open the exciting possibility that a quantum optics experiment carried out beyond the atmosphere could be sensitive enough to pick up signs of this particle. The team outlined such an experiment in a paper published in Scientific Reports, involving a suspended nanoparticle. The way in which the nanoparticle’s position changes will tell them something about dark matter.

Scientific Reports
The idea is to place the experiment in a spacecraft located at Lagrange point 2 (a stable point in our solar system beyond the Earth). The nanoparticle’s position can be precisely tracked by firing laser light at the particle and collecting it with a lens. Light that has been scattered by the particle will interfere with the rest of the laser light, changing the intensity of light picked up by detectors, in a way that can be precisely monitored. (Image from Scientific Reports 5, article number: 8058, courtesy of James Bateman.)

The team plans to send the experiment into space as part of the MAQRO (microscopic quantum resonators) consortium. You can read more about space-based quantum tests in a Q&A that reporter Colin Stuart carried out with David Rideout and in an article that I wrote for Nature about the quantum space race between China and Europe.

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Akinbo Ojo wrote on Mar. 27, 2015 @ 13:54 GMT
Cherry picking 'facts' or 'possible facts' for your conference deliberation...

Whereas it is widely accepted that we have good evidence for the existence of dark matter — which is invisible but exerts a gravitational pull on other matter — from astronomical observations,

Whereas C. Jess Reidel in the abstract of his Physical Review paper categorically states that we (a...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

FQXi Administrator Zeeya Merali wrote on Mar. 27, 2015 @ 19:09 GMT
Hi Akinbo,

Thanks for your comment. As I understand it, Bateman and co did take Reidel's proposal very seriously but -- as far as their analysis showed -- it couldn't work. I'll ask Bateman if he can elaborate on that.

Regarding the waste of money, I think that MAQRO will involve multiple tests of different things -- so it will be a case (as it often is with space-based experiments) of trying to get as much information about a number of different things, using various instruments, in the most efficient way.

Bookmark and Share

Steve Agnew wrote on Mar. 28, 2015 @ 17:07 GMT
It is useful to consider the search for dark matter in the context of the larger search for a quantum gravity. Quantum gravity should scale nicely from the quantum charge force that we already know works very well, just reduced by 1e39. There seem to be an overwhelming number of propositions about possible quantum gravities and likewise, an overwhelming number of propositions about dark matter as...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Akinbo Ojo wrote on Apr. 16, 2015 @ 11:38 GMT
Scientists say they have seen dark matter signs for first time

Scientists say they have seen for the first time signs of dark matter interacting one billion light years away.Dark matter is how science describes the mysterious substance that makes up most of the universe.A team of international researchers used the Hubble AND the European Southern Observatory space telescopes in their findings.

Also Dark Matter Can Interact With Itself, Galaxy Collisions Show

Dark matter interacting gravitationally everywhere, but surprisingly none is said to be available to form a light-carrying, gravitationally bound medium on our very tiny blue planet!!

Akinbo

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

Steve Dufourny wrote on Sep. 14, 2015 @ 11:26 GMT
Hello,

Dark matter logically is produced by our cosmological black spheres,our BH.

It exists if I correlate with my humble équations several kinds of Black matter considering the volumes of spheres.The smallest are from the central BH sphere of our universal sphere,the biggest cosmological spherical volume.

The quantum entanglement is in the same relative logic with an...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

Steve Dufourny replied on Sep. 15, 2015 @ 11:03 GMT
Xmass experiment seems relevant.

There are two possibilities in fact,it is easier to try to find them Inside our quantum entanglement because theye are also encoded these particles.

Xmass is relevant but it is more difficult in this way considering that these particles come from the black cosmological sphères.

It isthe same logic that with the bosons in fact but more difficult due to stepsof encodings which are more complex.Indeed it is a new kindof encoding and energy.The separation, the fission so are more interesting at my humble opinion.

The big question is how to separate them from our quantum entanglement.If thermodynamics is correct for these particles, ok but if the thermodynamics is not theroad, it is not sufficient because it is an other kind of energy aboveour thermodynamicallaws...

my équations if they are correct can help considering thevolumes and the motions rotations of sphères.I am persuaded that the spherical cosmological volumes and quantum volumes are the keys ...

Regards

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny wrote on Dec. 12, 2015 @ 18:41 GMT
Hello,

It is a beautiful article.This dark matter is intriguing and we know that its exists .I am asking me if we can consider it in the same way than our special relativity and the standard model also.Let's imagine a galaxy, let's imagine a central supermassive BH , a central sphere.Now let's imagine a sphere of dark matter encircling this galaxy.If this matter exists, so this matter has a cause of creation.They are produced in logic like is produced our bosons photons by stars.If now we consider that theseparticles aren't bosons.Let's name them the spherons.If now we link with the spherical volumes, it becomes relevant.If my constant is correct ,so their linear velocity is more than c and correlated withspherical volumes.The central BH of our universal sphere sHello o creates thesmallest spherons andthe speedest.See that this centralBH is the biggest cosmological volume.If now we superimpose the two sphères, one ofgravitation with these spherons and the other with photons.So we have a biggest sphere for spherons.Now imgine that thee particles areencoded in our nucleis at and after 10^-35m in a kind of quantumdark matter implying quantum gravitation.The spherons explain the gravitation .We have so a gravitational universal newtonian aether from the central sphere BH producing so this infinite gravitation relativelly speaking.The time can be analysed with thes two sphères, photons and spherons,electromagnetic and gravitational.The spherisation and the gravitation are purelly linked with the rotating sphères and motions.Mass increases, gravitation increasesand the spherisation also.Entropy becomes mass and the equilibrium is the gravitation spherisation.....

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny replied on Dec. 14, 2015 @ 10:33 GMT
If we have a sphere of spherons.It is important to consider this matter like non baryonic,and not Under the special relativity.The WIMPs of hot dark matter are not logically correct due to the fact that we are Under the thermo and heat and so Under our standard model.The WIMPs of cold darkmatter also so because are also Under th laws of thermo at very low temperature.The gravitation is an other quantun of Energy, gravitational instead of electromagnetic and thermodynamical.The spherons so must be particles non baryonic.With their volumes, small and their linear velocity before encoding in our nucleis,these spherons imply an incredible entropy.Now we have the explaination of gravitation in being encoded in our nucleis above our standard model.But how can we check this new energy.The mass of the sphere, its volume, its rotation spinal,orbital ....it becomes relevant when we consider a main sense of rotation for the stability of quantum gravitation.This gravitation linked with spherisation increases due to this increasing of mass entropy.The encoding of bosons imply the electromagnetic thermodynamical step,the spherons them are encoded also with this quantumof gravitational energy increasing the uniqueness of the nucleus.Rotations, gravitation, sphères and spherisation are universally unified in a pure evolutive entropical irreversible Arrow of time.Fascinating this universal evolution of imrpovement of mass, consciousness and gravitation spherisation.Universe is a sphere and the central BH also in logic like all BH.If they exist these BH,there are reasons.They produce something it seems tome implying this gravitation and its universalequilibrium between all sphères, quantic and cosmol.

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny replied on Dec. 14, 2015 @ 10:53 GMT
Furthermore, you imagine the % of this dark matter in our universe, we have 4,9 % of matter baryonic, and about 26,8 % of non baryonic matter,this dark matter.You imagine the potential of this entropy, disponible with these quanta of gravitational energy, the spherons.Gravitation seems infinte when we link it with the central BH of our universal sphere and the dark energy.This energy, garvitationalcan be transformed into works or thermo......The spherical volumes are the keys it seems to me.Baryons are a step, electromagnetic.The spherons and the quantum dark matter encoding these spherons are the others steps.Mass and gravitation are linked .....Thanks Newton :)

Bookmark and Share

Steve Dufourny replied on Dec. 17, 2015 @ 11:27 GMT
Dark matter is logically composed by particles of gravitation.I named them the spherons.But they can be classed also due to their spherical volumes.If our Universe is a sphere in spherisation and that we have a central sphere, the biggest BH.So if my equation is correct mlosV,so the spherons produced by this centralsphere are the speedest and the smallest.If an universal proportion exists between allphysical sphères,quant and cosmol.So we can class their linear velocities and their volumes.I don't see an other solution than these BH for the production of these particles.If gravitation is infinite, it is towards this central cosmological sphères.Entropy gives the main universalgravitational codes from this central sphere.This central sphere logically is linked with all others BH and also logically with the central sphères of our quantum serie encoding bosons and spherons.Gravitation is an universal equilibrium since the beginning.The main codes are gravitational.It is relevant to consider this dark matter encircling our galaxies, a sphere of spherons, a sphere of gravitation above our sphere of photons.The age of our Universe can be correlated witht the two sphères, photonic and spheronic.Entropy, gravitation and spherisation seems universally linked.They turn so they are .....

Bookmark and Share

alena lis wrote on Aug. 2, 2016 @ 09:14 GMT
Thanks for useful information!

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.