Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Jason Edwards: on 4/22/15 at 18:15pm UTC, wrote Hello, "For me it is time for Physics to return the road that can provide...

James Hoover: on 4/19/15 at 16:23pm UTC, wrote Teresa, You present some incisive ideas. Quantum mechanics...

LLOYD OKOKO: on 4/13/15 at 10:40am UTC, wrote Dear Teresa Mendes, I am elated at your grandfather's seeming deification...

Alfredo Oliveira: on 4/10/15 at 22:01pm UTC, wrote DearTeresa, you are a genius! You present a letter written long ago on the...

Joe Fisher: on 4/10/15 at 14:33pm UTC, wrote Dear Teresa, I think Newton was wrong about abstract gravity; Einstein was...

Sujatha Jagannathan: on 4/2/15 at 7:00am UTC, wrote Like Father, like son is proved. -Best Wishes, Miss. Sujatha Jagannathan

Constantinos Ragazas: on 3/14/15 at 1:23am UTC, wrote Dear Teresa Mendes, I heed your plea for a Physics that makes sense! For a...

Teresa Mendes: on 3/13/15 at 18:38pm UTC, wrote VERSÃO ORIGINAL ...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Eckard,you seems persuaded by your Words and thoughts.I don t understand..." in First Things First: The...

Eckard Blumschein: "In Darwinism/Weismannism there is no first cause, just a causal chain...." in First Things First: The...

Steve Agnew: "There are some questions that do not seem to have answers in the classical..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Agnew: "Yes, there are two very different narratives. The classical narrative works..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "lol no indeed it is not a lot,like I said I liked your general ideas.I have..." in The Demon in the Machine...

Steve Agnew: "There are three assumptions...is that a lot? The aether particle mass, the..." in The Demon in the Machine...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 14, 2019

CATEGORY: Trick or Truth Essay Contest (2015) [back]
TOPIC: From Parents to Children by Teresa Mendes [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Teresa Mendes wrote on Mar. 12, 2015 @ 13:05 GMT
Essay Abstract

Discovering, last week, a letter that my grandfather wrote to his small children, in 1935, words that none of them had ever read, was an emotional moment for the whole family. The title of that letter is "The utility and beauty of Math". It drove me to write this essay. To my father, and to my own children. From Math to Physics, with everything in between, I called this essay: From Parents to Children.

Author Bio

Teresa Mendes has a mission: To start a Scientific Revolution. The results of this scientific revolution, even if not visible in her life time, could improve her children's quality of life and why not ... that of all other children too. She loves her job.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Alan M. Kadin wrote on Mar. 12, 2015 @ 15:45 GMT
Dear Teresa,

I enjoyed reading your beautiful essay on mathematics and physics, with its moving tribute to your grandfather, your father, and your father’s physics teacher Romulo de Carvalho. This is a fitting followup of your video in last year's FQXi contest, "Physics Needs a Paradigm Shift."

I also agree with you that with regard to the mathematical foundations of quantum mechanics, "something is rotten in the state of Denmark". (With apologies to Niels Bohr and the Copenhagen Interpretation … or maybe not!)

I also agree that there cannot be "one Physics for the subatomic world, another Physics for the macroscopic world", which of course creates an inevitable boundary problem. My own essay, "Remove the Blinders: How Mathematics Distorted the Development of Quantum Theory", takes the radical (and heretical) view that the fundamental organization is the same on both scales, so that the boundary problem immediately disappears. Quantum indeterminacy, superposition, and entanglement are artifacts of the inappropriate mathematical formalism.

Best wishes in the competition.

Alan Kadin

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Edwin Eugene Klingman wrote on Mar. 13, 2015 @ 18:31 GMT
Dear Teresa Mendes,

I support your revolution, and would like to provide some bullets! You "appeal to the physics community, and more specifically the FQXi community, to seriously discuss the Local Realism paradigm."

In my essay I seriously discuss the Local Realism paradigm, and have been met with "benign neglect" by the FQXi members and those of the establishment. Big...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Teresa Mendes wrote on Mar. 13, 2015 @ 18:38 GMT
VERSÃO ORIGINAL

====================================================
========

"A meus dois filhos, Rui e Alvaro.

A UTILIDADE E A BELEZA DA MATEMÁTICA.

Desde a mais remota antiguidade, todos os povos que conheceram a Civilização, cultivaram as matemáticas - uns levados pelas necessidades de ordem pratica, outros atraídos pelo prazer do espirito. E porque a...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Constantinos Ragazas wrote on Mar. 14, 2015 @ 01:23 GMT
Dear Teresa Mendes,

I heed your plea for a Physics that makes sense! For a 'physical view' that does not put us in conflict and contradiction with our sense experience. In my current essay ("The 'man-made' Universe") this view that you also express in your essay I encapsulate in this Anthropocentric Principle: "We Know the Universe so as to make Life possible".

When this Principle is violated for a long time (as it certainly is currently with Modern Physics) we introduce in our Collective Conscience distortions, dilemmas and confusion. And this tears apart our nature and our connection to Nature.

There is resonance between our essays. Read mine too to feel the harmony. And comment if you please.

Constantinos

Bookmark and Share

Sujatha Jagannathan wrote on Apr. 2, 2015 @ 07:00 GMT
Like Father, like son

is proved.

-Best Wishes,

Miss. Sujatha Jagannathan

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Apr. 10, 2015 @ 14:33 GMT
Dear Teresa,

I think Newton was wrong about abstract gravity; Einstein was wrong about abstract space/time, and Hawking was wrong about the explosive capability of NOTHING.

All I ask is that you give my essay WHY THE REAL UNIVERSE IS NOT MATHEMATICAL a fair reading and that you allow me to answer any objections you may leave in my comment box about it.

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share

Alfredo Gouveia Oliveira wrote on Apr. 10, 2015 @ 22:01 GMT
DearTeresa, you are a genius! You present a letter written long ago on the beauty of mathematics; it had to be an old letter, from the time where there was beauty in the mathematics used by physicists.

Nowadays, the mathematics in physics are ugly, very ugly. They constantly violate Logic, its twin sister - a very ugly thing to do! The name of the game is: fit data! How that is achieve does not really matters. Besides violating Logic, it is arrogant and call "losers" to those that dare to defend Logic.

So, I really thank you for bringing us memories of that wonderful time when Maths and Logic lived in harmony and filled our souls with beauty.

Alf

Bookmark and Share

LLOYD TAMARAPREYE OKOKO replied on Apr. 13, 2015 @ 10:40 GMT
Dear Teresa Mendes,

I am elated at your grandfather's seeming deification of mathematics eighty years ago.And I am quite sure you will agree with me,even as it is posited in your essay that,"physics today is struggling...in its own mess".And it is only a paradigm shift that approximates the concept of co-operative relations between maths and physics that will pull it out of the doldrums.And let it suffice for now that I join hands with you and your grandfather in admonishing that"in physics,mathematics overcomes the experiments and reduces the effort we need to know the results".

I admire your resilience in holding on to the truth.

Remain Blessed.

Lloyd Tamarapreye Okoko.

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Apr. 19, 2015 @ 16:23 GMT
Teresa,

You present some incisive ideas. Quantum mechanics instrumentalism, I believe, can be solved by looking at the classical world around us, mainly the mysteries there.

My essay refers to studies by a physicist-biologist team to determine how the European robin navigates N and S seasonally. They were able to relate the mystery to the quantum world as part of quantum biology. Math followed the study as a tool to aid and understand, utilizing quantum knowledge but not being wedded to it.

Trying to uncover such mysteries, leading us to mapping DNA and simulating the BB with the LHC, in effect, draws us away from an orthodoxy of physics for the subatomic and the macro.

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2345.

Jim

Bookmark and Share

Jason Edwards wrote on Apr. 22, 2015 @ 18:15 GMT
Hello,

"For me it is time for Physics to return the road that can provide Mankind with

new technologies to simplify life and create economic value. I do not see any

future in Quantum Mechanics"

But isn't QM doing this already?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/everyday-quantum-p
hysics/

Jason

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.