Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Herry Jone: on 10/14/19 at 18:11pm UTC, wrote Well, the best dissertation services UK provide the straightforward way to...

Lyla Taylor: on 10/11/19 at 7:06am UTC, wrote Treat assignment help the expert assignment writing service provider...

tara rubena: on 10/3/19 at 4:21am UTC, wrote Thank post! street view for you walk, bike, or drive.

tara rubena: on 10/3/19 at 4:20am UTC, wrote Thank post! street view for you walk, bike, or drive.

Sarah Bennet: on 9/24/19 at 8:36am UTC, wrote I am a service provider of SPSS statistical analysis help in Dubai and...

Lyla Taylor: on 9/12/19 at 12:41pm UTC, wrote More than times, students are not solve some subjects problems and face...

Nathan William: on 9/10/19 at 7:15am UTC, wrote Statistics is one of the most difficult subjects that are taught in the...

Luke Wright: on 8/9/19 at 12:49pm UTC, wrote Are you in search of dissertation help online UK? Well, Dissertation Planet...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Robert McEachern: "Coins always have two sides. Always. The fact that some observer has..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Georgina Woodward: "Robert, Re.measurement being considered the cause of subsequent effect; I..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Eckard Blumschein: "Steve, Darwin contradicted to the view of Parmenides, ..., and Einstein..." in First Things First: The...

Steve Dufourny: "Joe,do you understand that the universe is finite like our series of..." in First Things First: The...

Steve Dufourny: "this second law is so important,my theory of spherisation and these quantum..." in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

Steve Dufourny: "I must explain what is the real meaning of Spherisation in my theory.It is..." in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

Steve Dufourny: "lol no indeed it is not a lot,like I said I liked your general ideas.I have..." in The Demon in the Machine...

Steve Agnew: "There are three assumptions...is that a lot? The aether particle mass, the..." in The Demon in the Machine...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 16, 2019

CATEGORY: Trick or Truth Essay Contest (2015) [back]
TOPIC: How to faithfully map a mathematical structure to an experimental situation by Sascha Agne [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Sascha Agne wrote on Mar. 11, 2015 @ 19:49 GMT
Essay Abstract

Simple mathematical structures such as numbers or elementary geometry are directly tied to physical observations. Wigner pondered the existence of similar one-to-one correspondences between more advanced mathematical concepts, such as algebras, and the actual world. The compilation of such a list of “maps" is in itself a formidable research project en route to finding limits of the interplay between mathematics and physics. In this essay we will study the weighing problem, an example given in the 1930s to illustrate the idea of “complex experiments", and construct step by step the underlying group Z2xZ2 and its representations. The concepts involved are advanced enough to highlight a non-trivial link between mathematics and physics without losing the idea midway through the formalism.

Author Bio

I am doing my PhD at the Institute for Quantum Computing, developing novel interferometers and entangled photon sources to test the foundations of quantum mechanics with satellites. I completed a Bachelor of Science in Economics and a Bachelor of Science in Physics at the University of Bonn, Germany, in 2011 and 2012, respectively, and obtained a Master of Science in Quantum Technologies from the University of Leeds, UK, in 2013. Following that, I worked as a research assistant at the Centre for Quantum Technologies, Singapore, and the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Light in Erlangen,

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Author Sascha Agne wrote on Mar. 25, 2015 @ 00:30 GMT
I don't mean to be disrespectful either but what has your reply to do with my essay? As for your "theorem" I don't get it.

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Apr. 9, 2015 @ 16:01 GMT
Dear Sascha,

I think Newton was wrong about abstract gravity; Einstein was wrong about abstract space/time, and Hawking was wrong about the explosive capability of NOTHING.

All I ask is that you give my essay WHY THE REAL UNIVERSE IS NOT MATHEMATICAL a fair reading and that you allow me to answer any objections you may leave in my comment box about it.

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Gary D. Simpson wrote on Apr. 16, 2015 @ 21:56 GMT
Sascha,

This was a very clearly written essay. I am an engineer and have worked in chemical plants in the past. I was sent to some training on a topic called experimental design. The objective was to be able to conduct plant tests by performing as few measurements as possible. That training was similar to what you present. The statistical objective was to structure the tests such that the variance would remain as small as possible. The problem in a chemical plant though is that there are so many variances and they are not necessarily constant.

There is another application of what you discuss. In surveying, they always try to use the same datum. Also, in machine shops, the locations of holes and edges are always with respect to the same datum.

This is very practical stuff. Well done.

Best Regards and Good Luck,

Gary Simpson

Bookmark and Share

Armin Nikkhah Shirazi wrote on Apr. 17, 2015 @ 09:13 GMT
Dear Sascha,

Of all the essays I have read so far, yours is unique in pointing out a deep relationship between mathematics and optimal experimental design. Of course, one might have already guessed that such relationships exist, but your example illustrates beautifully that these can sometimes be far from obvious.

I think a possible beneficial side effect for the theoretical side is that examples like the one you gave may help us build intuitions for understanding abstract mathematical structures in more concrete terms. I personally believe that one of the neglected areas in fundamental theoretical physics is in the area of deducing novel physical insights from the "meaning" of abstract representations, and work like yours may facilitate such endeavors.

I hope you will keep a notebook in which you collect examples like the one in your paper and will consider compiling these into a book. It would make unique and valuable contribution both for the experimental and the theoretical side.

Best wishes,

Armin

Bookmark and Share

Alvina Amanda wrote on Oct. 27, 2017 @ 06:25 GMT
I don't know how often you individuals must be told before it at last sinks in. Speculations don't have evidence. You call a logical hypothesis a "tall tale" and in a similar sentence illustrate, in reality demonstrate, that you have not the faintest thought what a logical hypothesis is by asking what "verification" there is. Well here is a stunning truth. Buy Assignment Confirmation is accessible to courtrooms (so they say) and to mathematicians. It isn't accessible to science.

Bookmark and Share

Louise Hart wrote on May. 1, 2019 @ 07:03 GMT
It's more of a programming logic question, simulation as we know works with relating the simplest logic truth tables. It already happened most of the time where mathematical structures are defined through the sequence logic Dissertation Writes Online like one used in chess, and example is the programs used in Wolfram. Those are not possible, without simulation of its mechanism.

Bookmark and Share

Louise Hart wrote on May. 1, 2019 @ 07:09 GMT
It's more of a programming logic question, simulation as we know works with relating the simplest logic truth tables. It already happened most of the time where mathematical Dissertation Writes Online structures are defined through the sequence logic like one used in chess, and example is the programs used in Wolfram. Those are not possible, without simulation of its mechanism.

Dissertation Writes Online

Bookmark and Share

Umair Arif wrote on Jun. 22, 2019 @ 08:07 GMT
In the mathematics subjects, lots of methods and technical question who confuse the students and also students dont have the best skills for solving any problems. Some students feel that maths is a boring subject but it is very important in education. When students do not solve to own self so they hire the online assignment services who can work for them and can solve their all problems.

Bookmark and Share

Umaima Rizvi wrote on Jun. 22, 2019 @ 08:45 GMT
For understanding the mathematical structure is not easy for everyone because sometimes it's create the lots of mistakes that is not solve with everyone, and then they must need assignment helps firms who can prepared the structure at the proper form.

Bookmark and Share

Anthony Anson wrote on Jun. 25, 2019 @ 12:13 GMT
Some subjects are very technical and difficult in education who mostly students do not solve to own self. Sometimes they are not prepared and they must need skills for understanding the new things but mostly students prefer the affordable assignment help companies who help them academic problems.

Bookmark and Share

Jessica Jones Jones wrote on Jul. 19, 2019 @ 04:20 GMT
When students say, pay someone to do my assignment it is the experts of Australian Assignment Help that comes to rescue them. The experts of Student Life Saviour also provides best quality assignment help, essay help and dissertation help services to students.

Bookmark and Share

Keira Tayor wrote on Jul. 31, 2019 @ 06:32 GMT
Wondering for the free essay typer online? Your search ends here as you can have your essays, assignments, articles etc instantly. We never compromise with our quality while providing reasonable essay writing help. Our experienced essay writers understand what phrases and sentences the essay evaluators want to see in the content.

Bookmark and Share

Luke Wright wrote on Aug. 9, 2019 @ 12:49 GMT
Are you in search of dissertation help online UK? Well, Dissertation Planet has got you covered! Doing a dissertation may be a tough task for you but the writers and researchers available. They will make every possible effort to get your task done prior to the deadline.

Bookmark and Share

Nathan William William wrote on Sep. 10, 2019 @ 07:15 GMT
Statistics is one of the most difficult subjects that are taught in the colleges and universities, and if you don’t particularly enjoy collection and analysis of data, you may have a difficult time coping with the academic pressure. Like any other field of academics, you also need to draft a number of statistics assignment help throughout the semester, and since they carry a significant amount of marks, there’s no way to avoid these daunting tasks.

Work on enhancing your resume before everything else. You can start by performing an assessment of your CV, which might provide you with a clear idea of where you should focus your efforts before moving on to pursue an MBA. You can also check out various buy assignment companies for valuable insights when you need help with doing your assignment.

Bookmark and Share

Lyla Taylor wrote on Sep. 12, 2019 @ 12:41 GMT
More than times, students are not solve some subjects problems and face some difficulties for complete there assignment. So our team providing best

Bookmark and Share

Sarah Bennet wrote on Sep. 24, 2019 @ 08:36 GMT
I am a service provider of SPSS statistical analysis help in Dubai and knows very well about the mathematical structures. It is more commonly a type that consists of additional mathematical objects. A list of possible structures is partially defined as algebraic structures, measures, orders, equivalence relations, topologies, and differential structures.

Bookmark and Share

tara rubena wrote on Oct. 3, 2019 @ 04:20 GMT
Thank post! street view for you walk, bike, or drive.

Bookmark and Share

tara rubena wrote on Oct. 3, 2019 @ 04:21 GMT
Thank post! street view for you walk, bike, or drive.

Bookmark and Share

Lyla Taylor wrote on Oct. 11, 2019 @ 07:06 GMT
Treat assignment help the expert assignment writing service provider because of which we can give the best assignment help to the assignments in UK to our clients. Understudies who need incredible results hire our UK Assignment Help writing service and progress toward becoming unwind as they realize that we would give them the work that could never lead them to disappointment. At the point when understudies hire our services.

https://www.treatassignmenthelp.co.uk

Bookmark and Share

Herry Jone wrote on Oct. 14, 2019 @ 18:11 GMT
Well, the best dissertation services UK provide the straightforward way to place your order, either you can come on a live chat with us, or you can give us a call, whatever suits you best. We take all the required information we need and don’t bother our customers afterwards. Our service is easy to go with, and it will save you so much time. We are available to help you at any time you wan.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.