Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Sujatha Jagannathan: on 4/19/15 at 13:47pm UTC, wrote Your paper represents the tangible sources of matter of hindrances in the...

Vladimir Rogozhin: on 4/15/15 at 11:29am UTC, wrote Dear Joel, Your essay is very interesting and close to me in spirit and...

Joe Fisher: on 4/9/15 at 15:52pm UTC, wrote Dear Joel, I think Newton was wrong about abstract gravity; Einstein was...

Joel Rice: on 4/8/15 at 15:00pm UTC, wrote Dear Armin - thanks for the thoughtful and constructive comments. There...

Armin Nikkhah Shirazi: on 4/5/15 at 20:35pm UTC, wrote Dear Joel, I read your essay, and would like to give you the following...

Jayakar Joseph: on 3/28/15 at 2:19am UTC, wrote Dear Joel, Fields, expressional with Octonion algebra are finite and...

Joe Fisher: on 3/22/15 at 19:23pm UTC, wrote Dear Mr. Rice, I thought that your essay was exceptionally well written...

adel sadeq: on 3/12/15 at 13:19pm UTC, wrote Hi Joel, You ask a lot of good questions and make good...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Dufourny: "An other point very important considering this nature.Ecology is so..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

janey hug: "Vape Juice Wholesale When it pertains to vape juice, you require to obtain..." in Ed Witten on the Nature...

Forever Fiances: "Welcome to Forever Fiances, an invitation company in San Diego. Since 2008,..." in Vita Nuova

Georgina Woodward: "The kind of time required, over which change is happening, is sequential..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Georgina Woodward: "In the many cat version as time progresses there are less and less cats..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Mr Musser,this article is very interesting.Max Tegmark speaks about an..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Lorraine, Thanks for sharing,we speak about our main global..." in Till Next Time

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 21, 2019

CATEGORY: Trick or Truth Essay Contest (2015) [back]
TOPIC: Therory versus Design of the World by Joel Stephen Rice [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Joel Stephen Rice wrote on Mar. 11, 2015 @ 12:48 GMT
Essay Abstract

Some possibly interesting connections between Complex Octonion Algebra and Generations of particles, Mixing and Dark Matter, and thus Unreasonable Effectiveness.

Author Bio

Retired C programmer who spends way too much time reading physics.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Yuri Danoyan wrote on Mar. 11, 2015 @ 18:12 GMT
Joel

Your view close to me

http://vixra.org/abs/1212.0030

Yuri

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

adel sadeq wrote on Mar. 12, 2015 @ 13:19 GMT
Hi Joel,

You ask a lot of good questions and make good comments. Your idea is one way to look at it, the other is my system. I think you will like it, it is all based on simulation. I hope you still like programming, the system is ridiculously simple.

Essay

Thanks and good luck

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Mar. 22, 2015 @ 19:23 GMT
Dear Mr. Rice,

I thought that your essay was exceptionally well written and I do hope that it fares well in the competition.

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share

Jayakar Johnson Joseph wrote on Mar. 28, 2015 @ 02:19 GMT
Dear Joel,

Fields, expressional with Octonion algebra are finite and closed, whereas the universe is infinite. This implies that the micro-structures are in continuum with the macro-structures, in the universe. Thus I think your argument is, Micro-structures Vs Macro-structures that is QM vs Cosmology.

With best wishes, Jayakar

Bookmark and Share

Armin Nikkhah Shirazi wrote on Apr. 5, 2015 @ 20:35 GMT
Dear Joel,

I read your essay, and would like to give you the following constructive feedback:

You advocate the use of octonion algebra to describe fundamental aspects of physics, but for someone who is not already familiar with it, it would be very difficult to discern just from reading your essay what octonion algebra even is, let alone judge the merits of your advocacy....

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Joel Stephen Rice replied on Apr. 8, 2015 @ 15:00 GMT
Dear Armin - thanks for the thoughtful and constructive comments. There have been some essays at FQXI on Octonions, by Dray & Manogue, but I should have worked on a nice introduction (instead of procrastinating). Basically I just rely on Coxeter's "Integral Cayley Numbers" result that there are 480 multiplication tables for Octonions - and not much more. One item mentioned in the 1966 lecture was a possible connection to Godel's theorems re ordinary arithmetic. It is awful that I never kept a notebook, and have not seen a paper based on that lecture, and don't know who it was.

About Hamilton, it was Gibbs who simplified Quaternions into the Vector Algebra that everybody learns in high school. See Michael Crowe "A History of Vector Analysis".

About 'are we missing ...' was one of the questions in the Essay rules. I should have put quotes around it. I usually suspect that Octonions are not so much 'useful' as something like a 'definition of particles' - not 'dressed' particles, or even 'bare' particles - just some hand-waving about how it looks too much like relevant spin-color distinctions to be dismissed as accidental. That might entail a reconsideration of the foundations of physics, since the SM makes no reference to octonions ! One needs physics to make sense of this algebra, as well as math to make sense of what physics is saying.

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Apr. 9, 2015 @ 15:52 GMT
Dear Joel,

I think Newton was wrong about abstract gravity; Einstein was wrong about abstract space/time, and Hawking was wrong about the explosive capability of NOTHING.

All I ask is that you give my essay WHY THE REAL UNIVERSE IS NOT MATHEMATICAL a fair reading and that you allow me to answer any objections you may leave in my comment box about it.

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin wrote on Apr. 15, 2015 @ 11:29 GMT
Dear Joel,

Your essay is very interesting and close to me in spirit and direction of the research.You put good questions and give ideas and direction of the search for a solution "structural problems":

"There are 'associations' all around us. Any atom is like an 'experimental situation' and one might wonder if the 'physical constants' are given, or does the algebra require neutral...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Sujatha Jagannathan wrote on Apr. 19, 2015 @ 13:47 GMT
Your paper represents the tangible sources of matter of hindrances in the evolution of supernatural thoughts.

- Best Wishes

Miss. Sujatha Jagannathan

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.