Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

William Carine: on 4/18/15 at 18:14pm UTC, wrote Joe, At least he had an imagination. It is a good place to begin and...

Joe Fisher: on 4/16/15 at 14:25pm UTC, wrote Dear William, Thank you for leaving a comment about my essay. I have read...

James Hoover: on 4/16/15 at 3:09am UTC, wrote William, I am revisiting essays I’ve read to assure I’ve rated them....

Joe Fisher: on 4/8/15 at 15:30pm UTC, wrote Dear William, I think Newton was wrong about abstract gravity; Einstein...

William Carine: on 3/23/15 at 16:56pm UTC, wrote Thank you Jim! It seems like humanity/the world is in the grace of some...

James Hoover: on 3/20/15 at 5:17am UTC, wrote William, "The universe is in constant flux and the creation of math is...

William Carine: on 3/11/15 at 23:30pm UTC, wrote Thank you very much Fisher. Your essays are always a pleasant read. I hope...

William Carine: on 3/6/15 at 16:18pm UTC, wrote Essay Abstract This essay closely follows the topic of whether math...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Agnew: "There are some questions that do not seem to have answers in the classical..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Agnew: "Yes, there are two very different narratives. The classical narrative works..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Steve Dufourny: "lol no indeed it is not a lot,like I said I liked your general ideas.I have..." in The Demon in the Machine...

Steve Agnew: "There are three assumptions...is that a lot? The aether particle mass, the..." in The Demon in the Machine...

Steve Dufourny: "Joe,so lol you speak to God or it has send you this information lol ?..." in First Things First: The...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 14, 2019

CATEGORY: Trick or Truth Essay Contest (2015) [back]
TOPIC: Math: A Fabrication or Part of the Fabric by William Amos Carine [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author William Amos Carine wrote on Mar. 6, 2015 @ 16:18 GMT
Essay Abstract

This essay closely follows the topic of whether math is a system unto itself as something that is 'out there' that exists as a part of reality or whether it is the invention of the human mind. This writing also explores the relationship of physics to math and attempts to inform the reader of how math was a template that physics requires from an intuitive and real-life conversational stand point. The author wishes the reader to envision a casual talk in a cozy cabin near a warm fire or an exchange as the sun sets rather than a class room or an enclosed space isolated from nature. Comments are most appreciated and it is hoped that this essay may spark thoughts in the audience. The author is thankful for such a thoughtful and relevant essay topic and for all of the submissions and dialog it provides for. The author is also full of gratitude for the wonderful conversations had with and suggestions of "jamie" Gioe.

Author Bio

William Amos Carine is a peasant-type leading a simple living in the middle of nowhere MO. He went to university for 2.5 years before deciding to leave the college setting to be a farm hand through the WWOOF program. He WWOOFed during most of 2014. He may return to school to become a science teacher. He spends his time doing farm projects like natural building and gardening. Free time is for music or art. With his rustic lifestyle away from the buzz of more modern ways, there is time for contemplation...

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Author William Amos Carine wrote on Mar. 11, 2015 @ 23:30 GMT
Thank you very much Fisher. Your essays are always a pleasant read. I hope you do well and look forward to next years submission from you already.

warm wishes,

william amos

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Mar. 20, 2015 @ 05:17 GMT
William,

"The universe is in constant flux and the creation of math is only one possibility which has been over - stressed in the last two- hundred to three - hundred years."

We are fortunate that our location in our galaxy is not the flux found closer to the galaxies' core and not farther away as well. So far perturbations have not led to dislodged comets from the Oort Cloud, at least in human history.

I agree that math and physics are our creations. I see the connections of math, mind, and physics in our natural world.

Regards,

Jim

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author William Amos Carine replied on Mar. 23, 2015 @ 16:56 GMT
Thank you Jim!

It seems like humanity/the world is in the grace of some balance. The sciences show the frame work elagantly.

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Apr. 8, 2015 @ 15:30 GMT
Dear William,

I think Newton was wrong about abstract gravity; Einstein was wrong about abstract space/time, and Hawking was wrong about the explosive capability of NOTHING.

All I ask is that you give my essay WHY THE REAL UNIVERSE IS NOT MATHEMATICAL a fair reading and that you allow me to answer any objections you may leave in my comment box about it.

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on Apr. 16, 2015 @ 03:09 GMT
William,

I am revisiting essays I’ve read to assure I’ve rated them. Yours is one that states views clearly and vividly. I too see math as a tool of the mind and a construction in our sandbox, something that can and does change to meet changing needs. Utilizing the connections of mind, math, and physics, I cite quantum biology, DNA and LHC as examples.

I find that I did not rate yours, so I will rectify. I hope you get a chance to look at mine, as I believe we have similar ideas: http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2345.

Jim

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Apr. 16, 2015 @ 14:25 GMT
Dear William,

Thank you for leaving a comment about my essay.

I have read the online English translation of Einstein’s 1916 book Relativity: The Special and General Theory, and in my estimation, it is the most unrealistic book that has ever been written. Einstein has an imaginary passenger throwing an imaginary rock off an imaginary train while an imaginary observer on an imaginary embankment watches to see if the phantom rock arcs in flight.

Does everybody at this site not realize that I have proven that Einstein was completely wrong about the real Universe? You people are supposed to cherish truth above all things, yet you all ignorantly refuse to credit me with my momentous discovery.

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share

Author William Amos Carine replied on Apr. 18, 2015 @ 18:14 GMT
Joe,

At least he had an imagination. It is a good place to begin and unfortunately it is about all i have. I guess it boils down to the whole question of this essay this year. Do we work in the realm of imaginary mathematics or is there anything else 'real' out there.

Best wishes this year!!!

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.