Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is ‚ÄúFundamental‚ÄĚ
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

kevin bootes: on 11/6/15 at 20:03pm UTC, wrote Greetings fellow friend of the spiritual science of Galileo, Newton and...

LLOYD OKOKO: on 4/23/15 at 8:14am UTC, wrote Dearly Beloved Jonathan, I have been following your balanced and...

Jonathan Dickau: on 4/23/15 at 2:26am UTC, wrote Rightly so.. I agree with your primary conclusions. This was not the most...

LLOYD OKOKO: on 4/10/15 at 13:48pm UTC, wrote Dearly Beloved Mary Ann, Thanks for your community friendly remarks.The...

Mary Slaby: on 4/10/15 at 10:35am UTC, wrote Mr. Okoko: Your elements of style reflect that you were likely trained in...

LLOYD OKOKO: on 4/9/15 at 8:30am UTC, wrote Dear Mr.Fisher, Thanks for your "discredited forerunners" response to my...

Joe Fisher: on 4/8/15 at 15:27pm UTC, wrote Dear Lloyd, Thank you for leaving a comment about my essay. Dear Lloyd, ...

LLOYD OKOKO: on 4/2/15 at 16:53pm UTC, wrote Dear Mr.Giadon, There is no gainsaying the fact that a nexus exists...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Dufourny: "An other point very important considering this nature.Ecology is so..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

janey hug: "Vape Juice Wholesale When it pertains to vape juice, you require to obtain..." in Ed Witten on the Nature...

Forever Fiances: "Welcome to Forever Fiances, an invitation company in San Diego. Since 2008,..." in Vita Nuova

Georgina Woodward: "The kind of time required, over which change is happening, is sequential..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Georgina Woodward: "In the many cat version as time progresses there are less and less cats..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Mr Musser,this article is very interesting.Max Tegmark speaks about an..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Lorraine, Thanks for sharing,we speak about our main global..." in Till Next Time

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time‚Äôs flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 21, 2019

CATEGORY: Trick or Truth Essay Contest (2015) [back]
TOPIC: TRICK OR TRUTH:THE MYSTERIOUS CONNECTION BETWEEN PHYSICS AND MATHEMATICS by LLOYD TAMARAPREYE OKOKO [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author LLOYD TAMARAPREYE OKOKO wrote on Mar. 5, 2015 @ 01:45 GMT
Essay Abstract

ABSTRACT: Empirical studies, be it in retrospect or in recent times; as to whether there exists a mysterious connection between physics and mathematics have always come up with findings that are nothing short of the affirmative; as opposed to a mute point. That is to say: in ‚Äútruth‚ÄĚ, an element of co-operative relations that is devoid of ‚Äútrick‚ÄĚ do exist between the two subjects: physics and mathematics. Especially indicative of this is the fact that the Structure of the universe (the subject matter of physics) is as much a subject matter of mathematics, which is a product of our imagination; and as such cannot be oblivious of the general analysis of nature. The truth-status of the existence of a mysterious connection between physics and mathematics cannot be overemphasised. Myriads of scholars are not oblivious of it and are always hinging their impetus of doing so from the fact that physics and mathematics are both subject matters of the human mind. In this essay, we have tried to highlight the inextricable ‚Äútruth‚ÄĚ devoid of ‚Äútrick‚ÄĚ that gives credence to the assertion that a mysterious connection do exist between physics and mathematics.

Author Bio

BIOGRAPHY OF LLOYD TAMARAPREYE OKOKO My name is Lloyd Tamarapreye Okoko. I am 59 years old; hails from Obunagha- Gbarain in Bayelsa State of Nigeria. In terms of educational qualification, I hold the University of Ibadan Diploma in Theatre Arts-cum-the Bachelor of Science (B.sc)degree of the University of Port Harcourt and the University of Uyo Master of Science degree in Public Administration; all obtained in Nigeria. I started my career as a broadcaster (Producer/Director/Script Writer) on the 1st of February 1979 and rose to the rank of Deputy Director (General Manager)on Grade Level 16 before retiring in February 2013.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Armin Nikkhah Shirazi wrote on Mar. 16, 2015 @ 05:35 GMT
Dear Lloyd,

I enjoyed your essay, the style of writing of which reminded a bit of the literature of times past. I thought that your approach of defining the terms in the beginning of the discussion was good; so often people talk past each other because they think they are talking about the same thing but, in fact, do not.

Your conclusion that math is more aligned with truth is, I think not controversial, and certainly consonant with my own. I am surprised that your essay rated as low as it did, I noticed that for several essays the rating does not reflect at least my view of what they should have rated.

Best wishes,

Armin

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author LLOYD TAMARAPREYE OKOKO replied on Mar. 16, 2015 @ 08:16 GMT
Dear Mr.Amin,

I appreciate your broad perspective on the subject matter.I was ironically encouraged by the previous rating of my essay on grounds of proliferation of schools of thought and the corollary of myriad perspectives.I am elated at your rating which smacks of the objective devoid of the pedantic;more so;as it recognises the imperative of the historical approach as a sine-qua-non for unravelling the truth-status of the nexus between physics and mathematics.

Grateful,please remain blessed.

Lloyd Tamarapreye Okoko.

Bookmark and Share

Felix Tonwe wrote on Mar. 27, 2015 @ 08:51 GMT
Dear Lloyd,

Your essay is highly educative.It is a pen-portrait description of the connection between Physics and Mathematics.

Best wishes,

Felix Tonwe.

Bookmark and Share

Author LLOYD TAMARAPREYE OKOKO replied on Mar. 27, 2015 @ 12:52 GMT
Dear Mr.Tonwe,

Your view on my essay is highly appreciated.

Remain Blessed,

Lloyd Tamarapreye Okoko.

Bookmark and Share

Benita Rovikpa wrote on Mar. 27, 2015 @ 17:22 GMT
Dear Mr. Lloyd,

I enjoy the way you write. Permit me to use your essay as a reference material for my students.

Keep on flourishing,

Benita Rovikpa.

Bookmark and Share

Author LLOYD TAMARAPREYE OKOKO replied on Mar. 27, 2015 @ 17:53 GMT
Dear Benita,

Thanks.

Concerning your request;why not? The primary goal of life is to spread knowledge for the upliftment of mankind.

Remain Blessed,

Lloyd Tamarapreye Okoko.

Bookmark and Share

Leslie Giadon wrote on Apr. 2, 2015 @ 16:32 GMT
Dear Mr.Okoko,

Thanks for an excellent work. It is a unique masterpiece that cements the nexus between Maths and Physics.

keep the flag flying.

Leslie Giadon

Bookmark and Share

Author LLOYD TAMARAPREYE OKOKO replied on Apr. 2, 2015 @ 16:53 GMT
Dear Mr.Giadon,

There is no gainsaying the fact that a nexus exists between the two subjects.I appreciate your concurrence.

Remain Blessed,

Lloyd Tamarapreye Okoko.

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Apr. 8, 2015 @ 15:27 GMT
Dear Lloyd,

Thank you for leaving a comment about my essay.

Dear Lloyd,

Do you have a real complete skin surface? Does the room you are presently in have a real complete floor, ceiling and walls surfaces? Does every object in the room have a real complete surface? Does everything you have ever seen have a real complete surface? Have you never noticed that no matter in which direction you look, you will only ever see a plethora of partial surfaces that meld seamlessly into one surface?

Obviously, you do not need to know anything about abstract mathematics and abstract physics in order to be able to see real surface.

Einstein was completely wrong about abstract Relativity. Eugene Wigner was completely wrong about the real utility of abstract mathematics. And you will be wrong if you continue to try to understand meaningless abstractions.

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share

Author LLOYD TAMARAPREYE OKOKO replied on Apr. 9, 2015 @ 08:30 GMT
Dear Mr.Fisher,

Thanks for your "discredited forerunners" response to my comments on your essay.

Science is added knowledge that does not substract from an existing retinue. It

is not exclusive;and the earlier it assumes the dimension of a continuum; the

better for its unblemished growth and development.

The preponderance of schools of thought without linking threads signifies chaos

and hegemony of bohemians.We suckle the sap of past masters.We don't jettison

them; for they constitute the building blocks of whatever heights we may have

attained in the scientific realm.For you to see the contributions of Wagner and

Einsteen as mute points is to say the least disparaging.My goal is that as a

thriving Scientist;you keep on flourishing and never be discredied even in the

22nd.Century and beyond.Wagner,Einsteen and Fisher may appear not good enough as per the standards of today's "thinkers" but they certainly must have met the

the relevant needs of the societies they served.I am not disputing that you are

a greater than Wagner and Einsteen.Remain Blessed.

Lloyd Tamarapreye Okoko.

Bookmark and Share

Mary Ann Slaby wrote on Apr. 10, 2015 @ 10:35 GMT
Mr. Okoko:

Your elements of style reflect that you were likely trained in a field outside or akin to the hard sciences, yet pensive of the major fundamental questions. You did directly answer the essay question and you provided an answer, with which I agree. The mind does seem to be based on some common basis as that of nature. I liked that the essay was straight forward and simply presented. It is my guess that with this body of judges, you needed to provide not only arguments of your theory, but also proof of your assessment.

My best wishes for you in this contest,

Mary Ann

Bookmark and Share

Author LLOYD TAMARAPREYE OKOKO replied on Apr. 10, 2015 @ 13:48 GMT
Dearly Beloved Mary Ann,

Thanks for your community friendly remarks.The "proof of my assessment" is the credibility of the sources I have cited. It is expedient that we suckle the sap of "past masters" and as a corollary bask in the deodorant of their success.

My essay is a convergence of the credibility of the "past masters" and the concurrrence of the defacto hegemony on the subject matter.It is unique in the sense that it delivers judgement for JUDGES TO ENDORSE.

Keep on flourishing.

Lloyd Tamarapreye Okoko.

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Apr. 23, 2015 @ 02:26 GMT
Rightly so..

I agree with your primary conclusions. This was not the most erudite entry, but what you have presented is soundly reasoned. I agree with the folks from Valdosta that the essay topic is a 'chicken or egg?' question. In the case of actual chickens, I think the egg came first, because the creature that laid the egg of the first anatomically modern chicken bird was probably just a shade more primitive herself (genetically speaking). But for Math and Physics; I agree with you that we need mathematics to do much good science. A good effort, and well researched so far as you go with it.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Author LLOYD TAMARAPREYE OKOKO wrote on Apr. 23, 2015 @ 08:14 GMT
Dearly Beloved Jonathan,

I have been following your balanced and development oriented comments on most of the essay-inputs in this forum.I thirsted for you to approximate such with my essay; and you have in your typical show of excellence done so to my satisfaction.Thanks for being so knowledgeable.

Keep on flourishing.

Lloyd Tamarapreye Okoko.

Bookmark and Share

kevin l bootes wrote on Nov. 6, 2015 @ 20:03 GMT
Greetings fellow friend of the spiritual science of Galileo, Newton and Einstein!

Responding at last to your comment (copied below) on my fqxi essay, permit me to share a note (between the stars *****) to a mutual friend on these topics we 3 share great interest in. Your comment spoke of expecting a prophecy...

Greetings Akinbo -

Are you close to Lagos? I passed...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.