Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Alexey/Lev Burov: on 4/17/15 at 2:36am UTC, wrote Dear Jerzy, Greetings! I enjoyed your deep, clear and well–written...

Armin Nikkhah Shirazi: on 4/5/15 at 21:10pm UTC, wrote Dear Jerzy, You put your finger on some very subtle issues the importance...

Jerzy Kowalski-Glikman: on 3/16/15 at 11:29am UTC, wrote Dear Akinbo, Thanks for your post. I'm afraid I'm neither a professional...

Akinbo Ojo: on 3/8/15 at 16:56pm UTC, wrote Dear Jerzy, You put your well considered thoughts in a concise way of...

Conrad Johnson: on 3/4/15 at 13:50pm UTC, wrote Jerzy, I appreciate your very thoughtful and well-written essay. It's...

Ed Unverricht: on 2/28/15 at 18:40pm UTC, wrote I would like to respectfully disagree with your conclusion "Science is now...

Sujatha Jagannathan: on 2/26/15 at 17:21pm UTC, wrote Great piece with phenomenon mentions. Regards, Miss. Sujatha Jagannathan

Jerzy Kowalski-Glikman: on 2/23/15 at 13:34pm UTC, wrote Dear Efthimios Harokopos, Thank you for reading my essay and for bringing...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Robert McEachern: "You seem to be equating Continuous=Classical. But communications engineers..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Eckard,you seems persuaded by your Words and thoughts.I don t understand..." in First Things First: The...

Eckard Blumschein: "In Darwinism/Weismannism there is no first cause, just a causal chain...." in First Things First: The...

Steve Agnew: "There are some questions that do not seem to have answers in the classical..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "lol no indeed it is not a lot,like I said I liked your general ideas.I have..." in The Demon in the Machine...

Steve Agnew: "There are three assumptions...is that a lot? The aether particle mass, the..." in The Demon in the Machine...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 14, 2019

CATEGORY: Trick or Truth Essay Contest (2015) [back]
TOPIC: The price for mathematics by Jerzy Kowalski-Glikman [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Jerzy Kowalski-Glikman wrote on Feb. 19, 2015 @ 23:36 GMT
Essay Abstract

In this short essay I argue that the development of modern physics, in which the use of mathematical techniques plays a central role, comes with a price. Some important questions become meaningless and cannot be asked in the framework of the current scientific paradigm adopted in physics. Using mathematical methods we can understand and describe only idealized processes and systems.

Author Bio

I am a physicists working at the Institute of Theoretical Physics of the University of Wroclaw, Poland. I got my PhD from the University of Warsaw in 1985. My main fields of research interests are quantum gravity and quantum gravity phenomenology.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Koorosh Shahdaei wrote on Feb. 20, 2015 @ 15:40 GMT
Dear Mr. Kowalski-Glikman

Thank you for your thought-provoking contribution. You mentioned: “…the use of the quantitative methods and emergence of the modern scientific paradigm shed light on enormous unknown areas of inquiry, but at the same time started hiding others in the shadows. It seems that only in recent years have we become aware of the existence of these shadowy areas…”. I also share your view, the quantities methods definitely had some sort of miscarry for the reason you mentioned. I have also reflected this in my essay.

Kind Regards

Koorosh

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Efthimios Harokopos wrote on Feb. 22, 2015 @ 17:38 GMT
I understand that the subject is involved but you presented a one-sided view of Aristotelian physics. I point you to the following paper by prof. Rovelli,

"I show that Aristotelian physics is a correct approximation of Newtonian physics in its appropriate domain, in the same precise sense in which Newton theory is an approximation of Einstein's theory. Aristotelian physics lasted long not because it became dogma, but because it is a very good theory"

http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/10964/

Bookmark and Share

Author Jerzy Kowalski-Glikman replied on Feb. 23, 2015 @ 13:34 GMT
Dear Efthimios Harokopos,

Thank you for reading my essay and for bringing to my attention an interesting paper by Rovelli. It is a very enjoyable reading, although I have a number of reservation about the claims presented there.

I agree with you that the subject is quite involved, but I do not share your opinion that my essay “presented a one-sided view of Aristotelian physics”. First of all, in my essay I discussed Aristotelean methodology, not physics. Secondly, even from the perspective of physics, there is no doubt that the transition from the Aristotelean to Newtonian physics was a major breakthrough. This is this transition that I am concerned with, pointing out that being understandably proud of what has been achieved in science in the last 300 years, we should not forget that something was inevitably lost.

Bookmark and Share

Sujatha Jagannathan wrote on Feb. 26, 2015 @ 17:21 GMT
Great piece with phenomenon mentions.

Regards,

Miss. Sujatha Jagannathan

Bookmark and Share

Ed Unverricht wrote on Feb. 28, 2015 @ 18:40 GMT
I would like to respectfully disagree with your conclusion "Science is now just about numbers and formulas. This is the major price that we had to pay for mathematics."

Mathematics when used as a framework for models, in my opinion, does not extract a price, but does establish the framework. Frameworks outside of mathematics do not provide enough structure to any model to give people confidence in the results and produce very poor predictions.

Hope you get a chance to look at my essay, I directly model the mathematical framework of the Standard Model and feel that the mathematics of the models is the backbone to the reliability and predictive power of the model.

This is a well written essay containing a lot of interesting history. Well done, enjoyed reading it.

Bookmark and Share

Conrad Dale Johnson wrote on Mar. 4, 2015 @ 13:50 GMT
Jerzy,

I appreciate your very thoughtful and well-written essay. It's not really possible to think through these issues without a historical perspective, reminding us that many different ways of thinking about the world were needed to get us where we are now.

When I wrote my essay, I was thinking about the shift in thinking about the role of mathematics around the start of the 20th century. Earlier, as you probably know, Maxwell took his equations for the electromagnetic field as pointing to something that needed to be understood about the underlying physics. He tried several times to construct a mechanistic theory of the ether to support his equations, without success. Finally Helmholtz promoted the idea that the equations themselves constituted a complete understanding of the physical field.

Of course this idea that physics is essentially just the mathematics became dominant with the emergence of quantum theory. Now we more or less take for granted that accurate statements in fundamental physics can only be expressed mathematically. The irony of the situation is that if Max Planck hadn't been determined to find a deeper physical meaning behind his equation for black-body radiation in 1900, the quantum of action might still be undiscovered today.

As my essay suggests, I don't think we should give up on finding a deeper meaning in the language of equations. But I agree with you that "to tackle these problems, we will probably have to transcend the current scientific paradigm."

Thanks – Conrad

Bookmark and Share

Akinbo Ojo wrote on Mar. 8, 2015 @ 16:56 GMT
Dear Jerzy,

You put your well considered thoughts in a concise way of about 5 pages. The only aspect that I would seek clarification is from your statements quoting Aristotle that Metaphysics deals with entities that do not change and have an independent existence, Physics, or natural philosophy, with entities that change and have an independent existence and Mathematics with entities that do not change and do not have an independent existence.

Are entities in Metaphysics and Mathematics eternally existing or can they perish?If the Universe has a beginning and can eventually perish will these entities outlive the Universe? If so, where would these entities be resident?

All the best in the competition. I will check back in a few days to see if you make any clarifications.

Best regards,

Akinbo

Bookmark and Share

Author Jerzy Kowalski-Glikman replied on Mar. 16, 2015 @ 11:29 GMT
Dear Akinbo,

Thanks for your post.

I'm afraid I'm neither a professional historian nor philosophers and my knowledge of the Aristotle's philosophy is based on reading the history of philosophy textbooks, not my own studies.

I'm not sure if your question is meaningful in the context of Aristotle's philosophical system, because he believed that the material world is eternal. As F. Copleston puts it (A History of Philosophy Vol. I, Ch. XXIX, sect. 13)

"Every motion [...] requires an actual moving cause, then the world in general, the universe, requires a First Mover. It is important, however, to note that the word "First" must not be understood temporally, since motion, according to Aristotle, is necessary eternal [...] The First Mover is the eternal source of eternal motion."

If you're interested, please read this section of the Copleston's (or any other) textbook on Aristotle's metaphysics.

Bookmark and Share

Armin Nikkhah Shirazi wrote on Apr. 5, 2015 @ 21:10 GMT
Dear Jerzy,

You put your finger on some very subtle issues the importance of which I am afraid will escape many readers because it is rare for a person who by training and vocation is so steeped in a particular methodological paradigm to be able to take a step back and compare it to others. I'd like to laud you for that.

I happened to recently take a philosophy course called "The...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Alexey/Lev Burov wrote on Apr. 17, 2015 @ 02:36 GMT
Dear Jerzy,

Greetings! I enjoyed your deep, clear and well–written essay, and I give you the highest rating. I do not see anything to criticize; your conclusion is impressive and convincing:

““The more the universe seems comprehensible, the more it also seems pointless” Steven Weinberg proudly proclaims. He simply fails to notice that in the framework of modern physics it is meaningless to ask about meaning. More than 300 years ago, facing the dawn of modern science Blaise Pascal famously bemoaned “The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me.”For many of his great contemporaries, Descartes, Spinoza, Newton, Leibnitz, to name just a few, understanding nature was an important part of the synthesis they seek, the synthesis that would tell us, what is the meaning of human life. We long abandoned such grandiose projects. Science is now just about numbers and formulas. This is the major price that we had to pay for mathematics.”

In our essay we are refuting Tegmark’s attempt to explain why the laws of nature are the way they are, concluding that this problem cannot be answered scientifically. I hope this sounds interesting to you; I would certainly appreciate your comments to our essay, critical or otherwise.

Cheers,

Alexey Burov.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.