Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Hasmukh Tank: on 6/9/15 at 11:40am UTC, wrote Dear Dr. Ramin Zahedi, I tried my best, to find English translation of the...

Hasmukh Tank: on 5/25/15 at 9:20am UTC, wrote Dear Dr. Ramin, Since the file contains PDF-converted JPEG image of the...

Hasmukh Tank: on 5/25/15 at 9:13am UTC, wrote Dear Dr. Ramin Zahedi, 1. By the time i find English translation of The...

Hasmukh Tank: on 5/22/15 at 11:39am UTC, wrote Dear Dr. Ramin Zahedi, Kindly forgive me for the delay in my reply,...

Patrick Tonin: on 4/14/15 at 12:08pm UTC, wrote Dear Hasmukh, Thank you for your kind words. If one day you come accross...

Hasmukh Tank: on 4/14/15 at 10:56am UTC, wrote Dear Patrik, From your comments it is clear that you have carefully read...

Patrick Tonin: on 4/13/15 at 20:07pm UTC, wrote Dear Hasmukh, Thank you for the link to your booklet, I really enjoyed...

Hasmukh Tank: on 4/11/15 at 11:09am UTC, wrote Dear Patrik, I read your interesting paper titled 3D Universe 8Pi-1. ...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "Hi Robert, thank you. I now understand the difference between decisions and..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Robert McEachern: "Making a decision, means selecting between discrete, a priori established..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Eckard,you seems persuaded by your Words and thoughts.I don t understand..." in First Things First: The...

Eckard Blumschein: "In Darwinism/Weismannism there is no first cause, just a causal chain...." in First Things First: The...

Steve Dufourny: "lol no indeed it is not a lot,like I said I liked your general ideas.I have..." in The Demon in the Machine...

Steve Agnew: "There are three assumptions...is that a lot? The aether particle mass, the..." in The Demon in the Machine...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 15, 2019

CATEGORY: Trick or Truth Essay Contest (2015) [back]
TOPIC: On the connection between mathematics and physics by Hasmukh K. Tank [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Hasmukh K. Tank wrote on Jan. 27, 2015 @ 21:55 GMT
Essay Abstract

It is very surprising that mathematics is able to predict many counter intuitive phenomena in physics! So the question arises how mathematics is able to do so. We begin with the fact that natural numbers are symbolic representations of physical quantities. As the mathematics advanced, it extended the physical concepts to additional dimensions. Such extensions are useful as long as we do not mistake ‘mathematical-reality’ for ‘physical-reality’. It seems that currently some physicists are taking ‘mathematical-reality’ as ‘physical’. According to an ancient spiritual book ‘Yoga Vashishtha’, the physical world too is an imagination of ‘the cosmic mind’, so our imagination in the form of mathematics sometimes correspond with the patterns of ‘cosmic mind’, perceived by us as the physical world. In the year 1986, this writer too had presented some arguments suggesting possible connection between ‘mind’ and ‘matter’ [1]

Author Bio

Hasmukh K. Tank, born in November 1952, is an electronics and communications engineer, retired from Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO). In addition to some technology related inventions like noise cancelling technique, he has published his views on: How 'life' and 'mind' arise from 'matter'; On the nature of 'cosnciousness' 'space' and 'cosmic consciousness'. His views on philosophical foundations of quantum mechanics, cosmology, his alternative interpretations of cosmological red-shift are posted time to time on the pre-print-server-site viXra. They can be collectively read through google search for "Hasmukh K. Tank"

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Edwin Eugene Klingman wrote on Jan. 29, 2015 @ 07:18 GMT
Dear Hasmukh Tank,

I agree with your essay in many of its essentials. As you note, "natural-numbers… correspond completely with the real physical world. [...] Similarly, 3-D space is real, so vectors with three components (X, Y, Z) correspond with the real physical world. But the extension, of N-dimensional vector-space, is a 'mathematical-entity', not the real physical space." I show in my current essay, The Nature of Bell's Hidden Constraints, how such n-D vectors arise from numerical measurements. I invite you to read my essay and comment.

As Korzybski warned, you state: "we should be careful that we do not mistake 'mathematical-space' for 'physical-space', as many current scientists appear to be doing."

I also find your observations on 'mind' and 'matter' compatible with my thinking as outlined in my 2010 essay on consciousness. Although many in this contest speak of "intuition" with regards to math and physical reality, the connection between mind and matter is very relevant to the current FQXi topic, as you summarize with:

"This can be a reason why our imagination, in the form of 'mathematics' correspond so strikingly with 'the physical world'.

I believe it is the reason.

My best regards,

Edwin Eugene Klingman

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Hasmukh K. Tank replied on Jan. 29, 2015 @ 14:05 GMT
Dear Edwin Eugene Klingman,

I read, and tried to understand your essay. Though I could not completely follow the maths, I agree with you that physical world is the territory, and maths is a map. There may be mistakes in a map, whereas territory is the final thing. Your essay aims at developing a robot, which can one day discover a new physical theory. Yes it is possible, if your programing of the robot is perfect. And I wish you success.

I will read your essay on consciousness, because I too have expressed my views on consciousness in an article:"On the nature of consciousness, space and the Ultimate Reality" www.jcer.com › Home › Vol 4, No 9 (2013) › Tank.

With my best regards,

Hasmukh K. Tank

Bookmark and Share

Gary D. Simpson wrote on Jan. 31, 2015 @ 13:53 GMT
Hasmukh,

A good read. Thank you.

I like your use of "eyes-closed" and "eyes-open" to describe mathematics and reality. That is an excellent description and it definitely is a source of confusion.

You should really attribute the symbols used for modern numbers to the Arabs. It seems that we use Arabic numerals and Phoenician style writing.

I have frequently found that in order to understand where I am and how I got to where I am, I must retrace my steps and think about the motivations for the decisions at each step. You have done a nice job of retracing the development of some of the ideas of Mathematics.

Best Regards and Good Luck,

Gary Simpson

Bookmark and Share

Author Hasmukh K. Tank wrote on Feb. 1, 2015 @ 13:10 GMT
Dear Gary Simpson,

Thank you very much, Dear Gary Simpson, for reading my essay, and for your comments.

I too read your essay, Calculus II. You have discussed a specific point in details, and you suggest a way of improving relativity theory. Very Nice.

Yours sincerely,

Hasmukh K. Tank

Bookmark and Share

Gene H Barbee wrote on Feb. 3, 2015 @ 00:31 GMT
Hi Hasmukh,

I can see from the other posts that I am not the only one that believes that the some from the west are coming together with the eastern concepts of mind. In my essay, I quote Sir James Jean …… “the universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine”. I wrote in my essay “Based on what I presented, it appears that there was information before the big bang. I don’t have a problem ascribing this to a great mind”. I also emphasize that our view of reality is information and always viewed from within the mind. So we agree on this point and the view that mathematics should not be confused with reality.

I was interested in your thinking about gravitationally bound objects. If one is thinking about the whole galaxy or whole solar system there could, as you point out, be a discontinuity at a boundary. I developed a concept called cellular cosmology and it is reviewed in my essay. Cells are spaces defined by the laws of nature at the quantum level. They define the dimensions of time and space and do not change. Cells become non-quantum as they expand. Just like cells of the body come in different sizes and fit together as a whole, the cells of space (each containing a proton) fit together and accommodate one another. It is my view that there is no discontinuity but I am open to your thoughts.

The wavelength of light is inversely related to its energy. It travels through space based on the dimensions of space, time and energy established at the quantum level. Since it is traveling away from us it appears to be red-shifted. My thinking is that its energy is only changed relative to us.

Bookmark and Share

Koorosh Shahdaei wrote on Feb. 3, 2015 @ 12:12 GMT
Dear Hasmukh K. Tank,

As you mentioned about conception of physically real and math, I believe as long a physical observation have such pattern that fits into a mathematical equation, then there is a upright joining between math and physics.

But either physics or math can’t be mapped and associated entirely with the other. But one thing that is the intersecting factor between the two is a quantity itself.

Many scientist believe that math and physics are not the perfect match or mirror of each other, therefore I trust that is not possible to have a theory of everything as math and physics only intersect to some extent, this is what I try to address in my essay. Good luck.

Sincerely yours

Koorosh

Bookmark and Share

Author Hasmukh K. Tank replied on Feb. 3, 2015 @ 14:08 GMT
Dear Koorosh Shahdaei,

Thank you very much for your comments.

Mathematics was originally invented to correspond completely with the real physical world; and real numbers correspond completely with the physical world.

Then the mathematicians extended the concepts of mathematics; like n-dimensional space, complex-space, curvature and expansion of space...etc. Such mathematical...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Hasmukh K. Tank wrote on Feb. 3, 2015 @ 13:33 GMT
Dear Gene H Barbee,

Thank you very much for reading my essay, and your comments.

I agree with you, that there can not be any discontinuity in space at the boundary of gravitationally-bound objects, like the galaxies; and perhaps your cellular structure of 'space' may avoid the discontinuity. What I want to show is: the mathematics of general relativity, and big bang cosmology, leads to the anomaly, of discontinuity in space at the boundary of gravitationally-bound structures, like galaxies. So mathematics, when extended beyond a limit, leads to anomalies.

I will read your proposal of cellular structure of 'space', and express my comments. Currently, I believe that 'space' is a super-flexible-continuum (SFC). 2. Spontaneously generated fluctuations in it automatically assume spherical wave-packets of micro-microscopic dimensions, which appear to us as 'the particles'; as was described in my last year's essay contest, titled On the emergence of physical world from the ultimate reality.

Yours sincerely,

Hasmukh K. Tank

Bookmark and Share

basudeba mishra wrote on Feb. 6, 2015 @ 07:23 GMT
Dear Sir,

Yoga Vaashishtha is a book for intelligent learners, which explains some of the most difficult subjects through allegories. Thus, it should not be interpreted literally. For example, ‘manah’ does not refer to mind in all cases. It may refer to the emotions (hrdayaakhya manah) or Consciousness proper (Shwavashiyas Manah) depending upon the context.

What you have said regarding origin of numbers actually relates to development of the script to denote numbers. Numbers developed in India during remote antiquity. We have written a book on number theory in which we have discussed this in detail including why one is the first number, why two follows one, why three follows two, why four follows three, why zero comes after nine, why the number system repeats thereafter, why these numbers are called one, two, etc, etc. We have also discussed the negative numbers, irrational numbers, zero, infinity, etc. We have also explained why complex or imaginary numbers are not mathematics, but manipulations in the name of mathematics. Scientists further manipulate the distorted statement to get some accidental physical representations, which they call unreasonable effectiveness of mathematics. Our book is free for research scholars and can be obtained by writing to mbasudeba@gmail.com.

Dimension is the perception of differentiation between the internal structural space and external relational space of objects. Since we perceive through electromagnetic interaction, where the electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other and both move perpendicularly, we have three mutually perpendicular dimensions. These are invariant under mutual transformation and can be resolved into 10 different combinations. Thus, the n-dimensional space is a figment of imagination. After failure to find the extra large or compact dimensions, we should not continue with this and scrap all papers dealing with fantasy.

Regarding space, we have replied against your comment in our thread.

Much has been talked about sensory perception and memory consolidation as composed of an initial set of feature filters followed by a special class of mathematical transformations which represent the sensory inputs generating interacting wave-fronts over the entire sensory cortical area – the so-called holographic processes. It can explain the almost infinite memory. Since a hologram retains the complete details at every point of its image plane, even if a small portion of it is exposed for reconstruction, we get the entire scene, though the quality may be impaired. Yet, unlike an optical hologram, the neural hologram is formed by very low frequency post-synaptic potentials providing a low information processing capacity to the neural system. Further, the distributed memory mechanisms are not recorded randomly over the entire brain matter, as there are preferred locations in the brain for each type of sensory input.

The impulses from the various sensory apparatus are carried upwards in the dorsal column or in the anterio-lateral spinothalamic tract to the thalamus, which relays it to the cerebral cortex for its perception. However, both for consolidation and retrieval of sensory information, the holographic model requires a coherent source which literally ‘illuminates’ the object or the object-projected sensory information. This may be a small source available at the site of sensory repository. For retrieval of the previously consolidated information, the same source again becomes necessary. Since the brain receives enormous information that is present for the whole life, such source should always be illuminating the required area in the brain where the sensory information is stored. Even in dream state, this source must be active, as here also local memory retrieval and experience takes place. This illuminating source (shuddha prakaasha maatra roopa) is the Consciousness (vigyaanam).

How do our sensory agencies function? At any moment, our sense organs are bombarded by a multitude of stimuli. But at any instant only one of them is given a clear channel to go up to the thalamus and then to the cerebral cortex, so that like photographic frames, we perceive one discrete frame at every instant, but due to the high speed of their reception, mix it up - so that it appears as continuous. Unlike the sensory agencies that are subject specific (eyes can only receive electromagnetic radiation, ears only sound, etc.); the transport system within the body functions for all types of sensory impulses. This occurs against concentration gradients with the input energy like the sodium-potassium pump in our body, which moves the two ions in opposite directions across the plasma membrane through break down of Adenosine triphosphate (ATP). Concentrations of the two ions on both sides of the cell membrane are interdependent, suggesting that the same carrier transports both ions. Similarly, the same carrier transports the external stimuli from sensory agencies to the cerebral cortex and back as a command. This carrier is the “indriyam” called mind. The existence of mind is inferred from the knowledge or lack of it about external stimuli. Only if the mind transports different external impulses to the brain for mixing and comparison with the stored data, we (Self) know about that (for the first time impulse received about something, there is no definite ‘knowledge’).

The brain acts like a computer. In communication technology, in addition to encryption (language phrased in terms of algorithms executed on certain computing machines - sequence of symbols), compression (quantification and reduction of complexity - grammar) and data transmission (sound, signals), there is a necessity of mixing information (mass of text, volume of intermediate data, time over which such process will be executed) related to different aspects (readings generated from different fields), with a common code (data structure - strings) to bring it to a format “it is like/ not like that”. Such mixing is done through data, text, spread-sheets, pictures, voice and video. Data are discretely defined fields. What the user sees is controlled by software - a collection of computer programs. What the hardware sees is bytes and bits.

In perception, data are the response of our sensory agencies to individual external stimuli. Text is the excitation of the neural network in specific regions of the brain. Spreadsheets are the memories of earlier perception. Pictures are the inertia of motion generated in memory (thought) after a fresh impulse, linking related past experiences. Voice is the disturbance created due to the disharmony between the present thought and the stored image (this or that, yes or no). Video is the net thought that emerges out of such interaction. Software is the memory. Hardware includes the neural network. Bytes and bits are the changing interactions of the sense organs (string) with the respective fields generated by objects evolving in time.

It requires an agent to mix these signals and convert them to electro-chemical information and submit to a conscious agent (operator) to cognize and utilize them. In perception, the former tasks are done by a transitory neural activity in brain called intellect. Though, it is not directly perceptible (prakrhtilayaah), it is inferred from its actions - firing of positrons in specific areas of brain during perception. Hence even after the breath stops, a person may not be brain dead as the intellect (and not the mind) may still be functional. While mind facilitates the transport of various external impulses, the interpretation after mixing of the state of superposition of various thoughts/inputs in memory (vikalpa), is done by transitory intellect. The Conscious Self that cognizes is different from all these.

Regards,

basudeba

Bookmark and Share

Author Hasmukh K. Tank replied on Feb. 6, 2015 @ 13:54 GMT
Dear Shri Basudeva Mishra Sir,

Thank you very much for your illuminating comments. I agree with you that the books like Yoga Vashishtha need to be studied under the guidance of good teacher; as there is a possibility of misinterpreting important terminologies.

Regarding your hologram-model of brain, a thought comes to my mind; that:

The real physical world is like a full-band, full-size hologram. And our mind is like a small piece of it. Our perceptions of the physical world are band-limited, and do not contain fine details. If we can perceive the full hologram, then we may hardly need any mathematical model, or theory.

Thanking you once again,

Yours faithfully,

Hasmukh K. Tank

N.B. I also request you for e-copy of the book, referred by you.

Bookmark and Share

Akinbo Ojo wrote on Feb. 15, 2015 @ 11:22 GMT
Hello Hasmukh,

Your essay was nice and straight to the point.

You said, "Mathematics is good and quite useful, but we should be careful that we do not mistake 'mathematical-space' for 'physical-space'; as many current scientists appear to be doing". But you did not tell in detail how to differentiate the two. I will also like to know your opinion on the question whether physical space is continuous or discrete debate.

On your interesting observation that "...according to the Big Bang Cosmology, the space between the galaxies is expanding; but the space within the galaxy is not expanding, because galaxy is a gravitationally-bound-structure", I wish to ask what you think is preventing the masses within the galaxy from collapsing into a single mass after attracting each other for billions of years? Could it not be that the space within the galaxy is what is preventing this?

Why has the Moon not fall on our heads, since both Earth and Moon are attracting each other or why has the Earth not collapsed into the Sun? Rather we see a cycle like a vibrating spring - extension and compression. A force compresses the orbit and another force is extending the orbit, hence perihelion (maximum compression) and aphelion (maximum extension). Compression we can attribute to force of gravity . Who is the force doing the extension since it cannot be gravity, and according to Newton's law, a body cannot change its direction unless a force acts on it.

All the best in the competition.

Regards,

Akinbo

Bookmark and Share

Author Hasmukh K. Tank replied on Feb. 15, 2015 @ 12:23 GMT
Dear Akinbo,

Thanks for the questions; and my answers are:

1.In a paper titled: "An Insight into Planck's Units" URL:

www.ptep-online.com/index_files/2011/PP-27-04.PDF

you will find three references describing experimental results, that 'space' has no quantum structure.

2. The stars in a galaxy do not collapse to a single point; and the Moon does not fall on our head because: they have tangential-velocities, such that, the centrifugal-force(v^2/R)= [(G M m)/ R^2], the force of gravity

Bookmark and Share

Sujatha Jagannathan wrote on Feb. 16, 2015 @ 07:18 GMT
Your symbolic representation of physical and mathematical aspects of nature are quite symbolic with your work, Sir!

Sincerely,

Miss. Sujatha Jagannathan

Bookmark and Share

Author Hasmukh K. Tank replied on Feb. 16, 2015 @ 11:55 GMT
You are right, Sujatha, I should have included more details!

Bookmark and Share

Author Hasmukh K. Tank wrote on Feb. 18, 2015 @ 15:23 GMT
Dear Friends,

1. I wish to tell something more about mathematics:

At night I was trying to do some calculation and derivation while resting in bed.

As I go to next step the first step was getting evaporated from my memory. Ultimately I got up from the bed, switched on the lights and finished the calculation. from this incidence I found that mathematics provides an aid to our memory, and thus boosts our ability to think. So with the aid of mathematics we can solve some problems of physics, which we can not solve only with our memory available in our brain. Therefore, just as an automobile boosts our ability to run, so exactly mathematics boosts our ability to think!

2. It seems that now we have arrived at the correct explanation for the cosmological red-shift, as described in: http://vixra.org/abs/1502.0104

This mechanism also explains: (i) the non-observation of dark-energy,(ii) Large-number-coincidence and (iii) the cosmic coincidence.

Your valuable comments and criticisms are most welcome!

Yours sincerely,

Hasmukh K. Tank

Bookmark and Share

Member Tommaso Bolognesi wrote on Feb. 25, 2015 @ 09:07 GMT
Dear Hasmukh,

I was wondering whether all the steps of the transformations in Fig 1 are documented, or only the first and last of each row. Interesting anyway!

You write: '...subjective-space, which we perceive with our eyes closed, and objective-space that we see with our eyes open.' Then I am not sure that curved spacetime as described by Einstein can be seen as mathematical extensions of subjective space, as you suggest. The curvature of spacetime due to mass is a perfectly observable phenomenon, e.g. when Eddington observed the deflection of light passing near the sun, in 1919.

The view that math and the physical world may be aligned because they are ‘created’, respectively, by the cosmic mind and by the human mind, is, in my opinion, somewhat appealing. I realize it is only a philosophical (or mystical) idea, but at least it is an attempt to answer the precise question posed by the Contest - something that several other essays prefer to ignore.

As for the relation of mind and matter, I do believe that there must be some truth in Wald’s idea that mind (or consciousness) may be present as a complementary aspect of all matter. However, I do believe that consciousness is a byproduct of the complexification of matter, which happens during evolution. This idea was pioneered by Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (I believe before Wald). An attempt to make it formal has been recently carried out by Giulio Tononi with his notion of Integrated Information, as I discussed in my 2014 essay. Also in my current essay I let a fictional character discuss briefly the issue of matter/consciousness, in the context of a potential evolution of Tegmark's Mathematical Universe Hypothesis (take a look if you have time... I'm running short of posts!)

Best regards

Tommaso

Bookmark and Share

Author Hasmukh K. Tank wrote on Feb. 25, 2015 @ 12:46 GMT
Dear Tommaso,

Thank you very much for your careful reading of my essay, and your following comments:

" Then I am not sure that curved spacetime as described by Einstein can be seen as mathematical extensions of subjective space, as you suggest. The curvature of spacetime due to mass is a perfectly observable phenomenon, e.g. when Eddington observed the deflection of light passing...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Branko L Zivlak wrote on Feb. 27, 2015 @ 10:31 GMT
Dear Hasmukh K. Tank,

Your essay is fine, but I much more enjoy reading your viXra papers. Your conclusions about physical mining of red shift, accelerated-expansion of the universe and some other I may just copy past. Of course, I disagree with you in details. I think you're overly influenced by the authorities. For example, when you mention Weinberg interesting formula it is also for you pi meson in formula. When you explain the important relationships in the universe you are using Hubble parameter. I think it would be more consistent, not to use pi meson and Hubble parameter. In my essay, you can convince that your shiny conclusions can be drawn in a much simpler manner of looking at the universe as a unity of the whole and the parts.

Best Regards,

Branko Zivlak

Bookmark and Share

Branko L Zivlak wrote on Feb. 27, 2015 @ 21:24 GMT
Dear Hasmukh K. Tank,

1. When I say Large number I mean 10^121, that may be reason that I cited Scott Funkhouser.In " An explanation for the 'Large Number Coincidence' 10^40 in astrophysics". In formula (18) you ingeniously re-write Newton Gravitational formula. So, I have same for Universal Gravitational constant as you in 1997 year, but with quite diferent approach. And, it is both quite...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Hasmukh K. Tank wrote on Feb. 28, 2015 @ 13:44 GMT
Dear Branko Zivlak,

I read with interest your following paper:

Universal Gravitational Constant Via Proton, http://viXra.org/abs/1310.0018

Try to submit it to some peer reviewed journal, like Astrophysics and Space Science, so that you can get expert reviewer's opinion on it, which will help you to up-grade it; making it suitable for publication.

With my best regards,

Hasmukh K. Tank

Bookmark and Share

Michel Planat wrote on Mar. 8, 2015 @ 10:19 GMT
Dear Hasmukh,

Your short essay is pleasant to read. In particular,I did not know your Fig. 1. "According to an ancient spiritual book Yoga Vashishtha, the physical world too is an imagination of the cosmic mind". How this old view of consciousness can be reconciliated with the modern ones? You talk about the patterns of cosmic mind, does it mean neurons flashing together?

Thanks,

Michel

Bookmark and Share

Author Hasmukh K. Tank wrote on Mar. 8, 2015 @ 14:06 GMT
Dear Michel,

Very interesting question. While I do not fully know the answer, I am reciting the words of our teacher; and some of my tentative views, as follows:

"The Ultimate 'raw-material', from which this whole universe has emerged, can be described by using a set of three words: sat (meaning really existing), chit (meaning conscious of it's own existence) and Aananda (meaning...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin wrote on Mar. 25, 2015 @ 10:41 GMT
Dear Hasmukh,

You're absolutely right, focusing on the etymology and deeper interpretation of concepts in physics and mathematics. Mathematics and physics - two fundamental sign systems that are experiencing a crisis of interpretation and representation. It is necessary to understand more deeply the origins of mathematics, as indicated by Edmund Husserl in "Origin of Geometry".

The...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Hasmukh K. Tank replied on Mar. 25, 2015 @ 13:53 GMT
Dear Valdimir,

Thank you very much for reading my essay; and your comments, quoting Rabindranath Tagore's poem!

Both, a physicist and a philosopher tries to understand the world around him.

A philosopher concentrates more on non-quantifiable entities; so he does not need mathematics. Whereas a physicist tries to count or measure the world around him and uses numbers and mathematical symbols to first describe, and then to predict the events. Thus, physics, philosophy and mathematics, all the three are needed to fully understand the world around us. All the three keep deriving useful points from each other. So we need to read Valdimir's essay, and essays by others!

Yours sincerely,

Hasmukh K. Tank

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Apr. 1, 2015 @ 18:38 GMT
Dear Mr. Tank,

I thought that your engrossing essay was exceptionally well written and I do hope that it fares well in the competition.

I think Newton was wrong about abstract gravity; Einstein was wrong about abstract space/time, and Hawking was wrong about the explosive capability of NOTHING.

All I ask is that you give my essay WHY THE REAL UNIVERSE IS NOT MATHEMATICAL a fair reading and that you allow me to answer any objections you may leave in my comment box about it.

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share

Author Hasmukh K. Tank wrote on Apr. 5, 2015 @ 14:38 GMT
Dear Joe Fisher,

1. Newton made a beginning; his gravity was 'action at a distance'; still a good start.

2. Einstein's proposal of curvature and expansion of space were never agreeable by me. I have been arguing that ‘expansion of space’ of GR is a ‘mathematical terminology’ not a physical phenomenon; because: as per GR, if the space between the galaxies is expanding , but the space within the galaxy is not doing so, as a galaxy is a gravitationally-bound structure, then what happens at the boundary of the galaxy? Such uneven expansion of glass would break the glass, and may tear off the space, if expansion-of-space were a physically-real phenomenon. Recently, Ling Jun Wang, (2014)in an essay titled “On the Flatness of Space-time” Physics Essays, Volume 27, No. 3, has rigorously proven that curvature and expansion of space-time are mathematical entities, not the physically real curvature or expansion of space.

3. While I thank you for your invitation for reading your essay; and I tried my level best to understand your essay; but unfortunately, it is beyond my grasp. It is too abstract for me. For me all objects are not surfaces, they are three-dimensional; and changing their positions and shapes with time.

With best regards,

Hasmukh K. Tank

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on Apr. 6, 2015 @ 12:37 GMT
Hasmukh,

Again I agree and commend the whole of your short but very clearly written and pertinent essay. You seem to say more of the fundamental question than many far longer, so I think your low score is no reflection. In this case as the great Architect Mies van der Rohe famously said; 'Less is More'.

I hope you'll also read and comment on my essay, also identifying one of the great 'con tricks' of maths where it's confused with reality, so confounding our understanding of nature.

Best wishes.

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Author Hasmukh K. Tank replied on Apr. 6, 2015 @ 15:52 GMT
Respected Peter Jackson,

because, you are 1951-born, whereas i, in November 1952.

The quality of your essay is also far superior to mine.

All physicists should read your essay.

When i was first introduced to the three-filter-paradox, i could see no paradox in it. The very name 'polarize r' means that it is the polarize r which polarizes the light. You have used more appropriate word "modulator". There is no paradox. Only the mathematical logic was wrongly applied.

Similarly, i agree with your other ideas.

With my best regards,

Hasmukh K. Tank

Bookmark and Share

Patrick Tonin wrote on Apr. 9, 2015 @ 18:55 GMT
Dear Hasmukh,

I have read your essay with interest but I much prefer some of your other papers that you have posted on vixra.

We have some similar thoughts on large numbers and other things. I hope that you will find some time to look at my model one day.

All the best,

Patrick

Bookmark and Share

Author Hasmukh K. Tank replied on Apr. 10, 2015 @ 09:19 GMT
Dear Patrik,

Thank you very much for reading my essay and other write-ups at viXra site.

I too have read your short-and-sweet essay, clearly expressing your views. Single reading is not sufficient to express comments, as your essay demands much thinking.

If you kindly give links of your papers, then i can learn more about your views on large-number and other things; and discuss.

With my best regards,

Hasmukh K. Tank

Bookmark and Share

Patrick Tonin replied on Apr. 10, 2015 @ 11:48 GMT
Dear Hasmukh,

You can download a paper explaining my model on vixra or you can visit my website 3D Universe Theory.

Best regards,

Patrick

Bookmark and Share

Author Hasmukh K. Tank wrote on Apr. 11, 2015 @ 11:09 GMT
Dear Patrik,

I read your interesting paper titled 3D Universe 8Pi-1.

Since you have discussed from the two view-points, one from an external observer's and the other from the internal observer's; and you have talked about The Soul, you will find it interesting and useful to read the following small booklet. Since it is a PDF-converted JPEG-image it will take some longer time to download. But i am sure, you will enjoy reading it. The URL is:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYX
VsdGRvbWFpbnx0aGV1bHRpbWF0ZXJlYWxpdHlzaXRlfGd4OjY3MmM5YmNjOD
FiZDY3YzE

You will also be delighted to read my rudimentary attempt to understand how this physical world may have emerged from the Ultimate Reality.

http://vixra.org/pdf/1312.0084v1.pdf

And i will be waiting eagerly for your comments.

With my best regards,

Hasmukh k. Tank

Bookmark and Share

Patrick Tonin replied on Apr. 13, 2015 @ 20:07 GMT
Dear Hasmukh,

Thank you for the link to your booklet, I really enjoyed reading it.

I can see some analogies with my model. Your Ultimate Reality (or Brahman), in my model, could be what I call the sphere of Universal Bits (or sphere of potential information).

I believe that consciousness is what makes the Ultimate Reality become coherent information (probably what you call the...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Hasmukh K. Tank wrote on Apr. 14, 2015 @ 10:56 GMT
Dear Patrik,

From your comments it is clear that you have carefully read the book-let and the two essays. There is a sincere desire in you to know the ultimate truth. So you will definitely find a suitable source one day.

1. As you may be knowing, there are eleven major Upanishads, containing many stanzas. My book-let contains some 5% of stanzas. There are many which i could not...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Patrick Tonin replied on Apr. 14, 2015 @ 12:08 GMT
Dear Hasmukh,

Thank you for your kind words.

If one day you come accross more writings on co-existence of past/present/future and scale expansion (or any other interesting stuff), please don't hesitate to let me know.

Take care.

Patrick

Bookmark and Share

Author Hasmukh K. Tank wrote on May. 25, 2015 @ 09:20 GMT
Dear Dr. Ramin,

Since the file contains PDF-converted JPEG image of the booklet, its size is big; so it could not be attached. Therefore i am writing the URL of the file, which will take 3-4 minutes to open.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVm
YXVsdGRvbWFpbnx0aGV1bHRpbWF0ZXJlYWxpdHlzaXRlfGd4OjY3MmM5YmNj
ODFiZDY3YzE

Yours sincerely,

Hasmukh

Bookmark and Share

Author Hasmukh K. Tank wrote on Jun. 9, 2015 @ 11:40 GMT
Dear Dr. Ramin Zahedi,

I tried my best, to find English translation of the book, Yoga Vashishtha, but could not find. When time permits, I will try to translate some selected stanzas for you. Pl. send your e-mail address.

Hasmukh K. Tank

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.