Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Rodney Bartlett: on 6/11/15 at 9:20am UTC, wrote PS to my previous comment yesterday - The human-made universe (1) has all...

Rodney Bartlett: on 6/10/15 at 9:05am UTC, wrote I just added a comment to the website of Nature journal, in response to the...

Patrick Tonin: on 4/22/15 at 19:24pm UTC, wrote Hi Rodney, You have put a lot of new ideas in your essay. Some I agree and...

Vladimir Rogozhin: on 4/6/15 at 12:28pm UTC, wrote Dear Rodney, Contests FQXi is primarily a contest of new original ideas....

Rodney Bartlett: on 4/2/15 at 5:16am UTC, wrote Verily I say unto thee (I always wanted to use that expression), WELL DONE!...

Joe Fisher: on 3/31/15 at 15:19pm UTC, wrote Dear Mr. Bartlett, I thought that your engrossing essay was exceptionally...

Rodney Bartlett: on 3/31/15 at 5:58am UTC, wrote Gear Jayakar, I've been giving a lot of thought to what you said about...

Jayakar Joseph: on 3/26/15 at 3:11am UTC, wrote Dear Rodney, I think reconciling the Unified Field is possible by...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "Robert, re. your ""one huge mistake"- they are describing non-existent..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Robert McEachern: "They are proud, because they have solved some problems, which are..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Robert McEachern: "Eckard, I do have an interest in the history, but not as much as I used..." in First Things First: The...

Georgina Woodward: "The Schrodinger's cat thought experiment presents 3 causally linked state..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Roger Granet: "Well put! Physics is hard, but biochemistry (my area), other sciences..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Steve Dufourny: "lol Zeeya it is well thought this algorythm selective when names are put in..." in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

Steve Dufourny: "is it just due to a problem when we utilise names of persons?" in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 19, 2019

CATEGORY: Trick or Truth Essay Contest (2015) [back]
TOPIC: Explaining The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics By Reconciling the Unified Field and Anthropic Principle by Rodney Bartlett [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Jan. 21, 2015 @ 20:29 GMT
Essay Abstract

Other excellent essays in FQXi’s current contest will inform readers about the role of Fibonacci numbers and the Golden Ratio in nature, as well as referring to the book “Our Mathematical Universe” by Max Tegmark and the use of pi in a science-fiction book by astronomer Carl Sagan to show that “the universe was made on purpose”. Rather than merely repeat the other essays’ wisdom, I’ll take a different approach. I hope my approach will be novel and original, but only time will reveal where it may lead. I want to show that you can combine the topology (rubber-sheet geometry), binary digits and E=mc^2 of maths with the matter, energy and forces of physics to 1) explain dark energy and dark matter, 2) open up the whole universe and all time to human exploration and creation, 3) show that there’s an infinite, eternal cosmos (not a multiverse) beyond our observable universe, 4) unify gravitation with electromagnetism, the other fundamental forces, and the physical universe; and 5) reconcile the anthropic principle with the unified theories of physics (via a strong version of that principle - that a direct link exists between human existence and the actual form of the laws of nature). In the TV program "Catalyst", Dr Graham Phillips said,“(The physicist and writer) Paul Davies thinks the universe is indeed fine-tuned for minds like ours. And who fine-tuned it? Not God, but minds from the future, perhaps even our distant descendants, that have reached back through time … and selected the very laws of physics that allow for the existence of minds in the first place. Sounds bizarre, but quantum physics actually allows that kind of thing.”

Author Bio

Many people say developing theories in physics should be left to professional scientists. I believe any "citizen scientist", even though ignorant about acceptable style in science journals, can have valid ideas. She or he needs tons of curiosity and persistence - and lots of time to research books, magazines, TV documentaries and the Internet. Is this a huge challenge? Yes, but I feel ready to take on the challenge. And people tell me there’s no time like the present.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Feb. 6, 2015 @ 13:37 GMT
Part 2 of Yesterday’s Reply by Me, Touching On

1) 3 POSITIVES OF SPACE-TIME, BLACK HOLES AND GRAVITY BALANCED BY A NEGATIVE HIGHER DIMENSION,

2) MICROWAVE BACKGROUND WITHOUT A BIG BANG, AND ALTERNATIVE TO INFLATION,

3) SUPERPOSED ELECTROMAGNETISM AND GRAVITY, QUANTUM SUPERPOSED PHOTON AND GRAVITON,

4) COSMIC EXPANSION VIA BARYON ACOUSTIC OSCILLATIONS,

5) RELATING MASS GENERATION BY PHOTON-GRAVITON INTERACTION TO BLACK HOLES, THE SOLAR NEBULA AND THE HIGGS BOSON,

6) HOLOGRAPHIC UNIVERSE, 5TH-DIMENSIONAL HYPERSPACE, AND DARK ENERGY

According to "WHY THE REAL UNIVERSE IS NOT MATHEMATICAL" by Joe Fisher (http://fqxi.org/data/essay-contest-files/Fisher_WHY_THE_REA
L_UNIVERS.pdf) - "Because the mathematicians’ used an erroneous abstract zero, the physicists assumed that there must be a zero physical state. Stephen Hawking even postulated that there must have only been an abstract total nothing about thirteen and three quarters of a billion abstract light years ago, when for some unknowable reason, it abstractly exploded in an abstract big bang."

I was contemplating a long reply to this but after posting the first part of the reply yesterday (you can view that on this page under the date Feb. 5, 2015), Joe replied that "Photons and gravitons are abstractions." Since I believe photons and gravitons are real and central to my ideas, Joe won't be interested in the second part of my reply so I'm writing this for my own mental exercise (and for anyone who stumbles upon this page and thinks there might be something interesting here).

3 POSITIVES OF SPACE-TIME, BLACK HOLES AND GRAVITY BALANCED BY A NEGATIVE HIGHER DIMENSION

The space-time we live in is described by ordinary [or “real”] numbers which, when multiplied by themselves, result in positive numbers e.g. 2x2=4, and -2 x-2 also equals 4. Inverted (modelled on the Mobius loop – see my essay) positive space-time becomes negative hyperspace which is described by so-called imaginary numbers that give negative results when multiplied by themselves e.g. i multiplied by itself gives -1. Many scientists say gravity is negative and balances space-time which is labelled positive [“The Grand Design” by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow – Bantam Press, 2010, p.180]. This article says space-time's warps (which General Relativity says are gravity) would also be positive. It agrees with Professors Hawking and Mlodinow that black holes are positive, and claims the negative balance to space-time is an equal quantity of mass in a higher dimension. They say gravity is negative because it’s attractive. This article aims to show that gravity repels and is indeed positive (the section in my essay about the Sun and Moon affecting Earth’s tides is perhaps the best explanation of gravity’s apparent attraction – it’s Note #3).

The universe is the things in space and time and, since General Relativity says gravitation is the warping of space-time, the universe is a giant gravity field (remember the statement in my Feb. 5 reply about it forming all reality, including matter and electromagnetism). Gravity does not need to travel – the gravitational field already exists everywhere. Nevertheless, any disturbance (from the waving of your hand to explosion of a supernova) will send ripples called gravitational waves through the universe. Since gravity makes electromagnetism, the universe is also a giant electromagnetic field. Electromagnetism is ubiquitous and doesn’t need to travel, but any disturbance sends out electromagnetic waves.

MICROWAVE BACKGROUND WITHOUT A BIG BANG, AND ALTERNATIVE TO INFLATION

Electromagnetism’s property of existing everywhere naturally means things like microwaves must be everywhere, and there would be a Cosmic Microwave Background whether the Big Bang and Inflation occurred or not. The electromagnetic field’s superposition on the gravity field also means gravitational imprints would be found in the microwave background by experiments like BICEP2. However, such detection does not necessarily confirm either the Big Bang or inflation. The universe would not be unified to near-uniform temperature and curvature by the whole cosmos having once been small enough for everything to be in contact, then undergoing extremely rapid expansion from a big bang during a period called inflation. It would be quantum entangled (unified) by everything having the same origin of binary digits. The digits unite everything in time and space in the same way that 1’s and 0’s form an image. Even if that image contains many seemingly separate elements, it’s actually a single image.

SUPERPOSED ELECTROMAGNETISM AND GRAVITY, QUANTUM SUPERPOSED PHOTON AND GRAVITON

The popular phrase “quantum superposition” can refer to photons and gravitons. Mathematician Benoit Mandelbrot coined the word fractal in 1975 (a fractal is a shape such that, if you look at a small piece of the shape, then it looks the same as the original, just on a smaller scale – it is used to describe coastlines, mountain ranges, etc). The fractal versions of superposed electromagnetism and gravitation are, respectively, the quantum superposed photon and graviton.

COSMIC EXPANSION VIA BARYON ACOUSTIC OSCILLATIONS

Gravity makes matter and mass, too – so there’s no need to call on big bangs or inflation to explain the universe. According to my essay, human computer science’s binary digits of 1 and 0 can be “recycled” from their advanced development in centuries to come back to 13.8 billion years ago. There; they could bring into being this observable portion of what seems to be an infinite, eternal cosmos. The beginnings of the infinite number of observable-size universes would, of course, be literally infinite. The beginning of the universe as a whole is therefore forever lost in infinity and we may as well say there was no beginning. But back to OUR observable part of the universe – a gravitational wave could be transmitted to the centre of a BAO (baryon acoustic oscillation; which refers to a regular, periodic fluctuation in the density of the visible matter of the Universe). Matter would be created at the BAO’s centre if the temperature allows the gravity wave to interact with photons –

RELATING MASS GENERATION BY PHOTON-GRAVITON INTERACTION TO BLACK HOLES, THE SOLAR NEBULA AND THE HIGGS BOSON

A supernova blows off some material before exploding and this forms a slower moving, cooler shell - “Rapid formation of large dust grains in the luminous supernova 2010jl” by Christa Gall, Jens Hjorth, Darach Watson, Eli Dwek, Justyn R. Maund, Ori Fox, Giorgos Leloudas, Daniele Malesani & Avril C. Day-Jones. It was published online on July 9, 2014 (http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nat
ure13558.html). Travelling at light speed, gravitational and electromagnetic radiation (consisting of binary digits) from the blast slams into that material – see “c^2 and the Atom” plus “Gravitational Radiation” near the start of my essay. The lower temperature allows the energy of the gravitons to interact with that of the photons, producing mass in the form of dust i.e. dust particles condense in the shell. In the same way, waves from deep space can produce graviton-photon interaction, forming collapsing clouds of dust and gas from which stars form. If there’s no interaction as a result of higher temperatures, no matter is created and there is no cloud of gas and dust. A black hole – formed of gravitational waves and their precursors, binary digits – could result. (It's possible that the gravitons of gravitational waves and photons of electromagnetic waves could be ultimately composed of the binary digits of 1 and 0 encoding pi, e, √2 etc [because the cosmos seems to be fundamentally mathematical]. Matter particles [and even bosons like the Higgs, W and Z particles] could receive their mass by gravitons/photons interacting in “wave packets” - explaining wave-particle duality).

HOLOGRAPHIC UNIVERSE, 5TH-DIMENSIONAL HYPERSPACE, AND DARK ENERGY

As succeeding gravity waves condense into matter at a BAO’s centre, matter already present in the centre would be pushed out of the way and the universe expands. Physicist Brian Greene’s “…projection of that … reality that is … akin to a holographic movie” [The Hidden Reality” by Brian Greene - Knopf [January 25, 2011] and quantum physicist David Bohm’s “…projections from another dimension … that is beyond both space and time” [“David Bohm’s Holographic Universe” - http://www.spaceandmotion.com/Physics-David-Bohm-Holographic
-Universe.htm] could be interpreted as “projections of binary digits from a 5th-dimensional hyperspace* which become matter, energy, force and space-time in the known 4 dimensions” (by the way, this makes binary digits a candidate for explaining accelerating universal expansion, and a candidate for explaining dark energy).

According to Wikipedia, GEO600 is a gravitational wave detector located near Sarstedt in the South of Hanover, Germany. On January 15, 2009, it was reported in New Scientist (“Our world may be a giant hologram”) that some yet unidentified noise that was present in the GEO600 detector measurements might be because the instrument is sensitive to extremely small quantum fluctuations of space-time affecting the positions of parts of the detector. This claim was made by Craig Hogan, a scientist from Fermilab. Should the noise be definitely linked to extremely small quantum fluctuations (researchers will soon begin the initial search and expect results by 2015), it could be seen as support for my idea of binary digits forming space-time.

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Feb. 8, 2015 @ 04:24 GMT
NATURE JOURNAL AND VIXRA WEBSITE

After making a few minor deletions and additions, I decided to share the ideas in my Feb. 6 reply with vixra.org, the pre-print site for science and mathematics. If you're curious about what was deleted and added, please see "The Cosmos According To FQXi From A Parallel Universe" (http://vixra.org/abs/1502.0052).

Also, I used ideas from my Feb. 6 reply to comment on “Rapid formation of large dust grains in the luminous supernova 2010jl”. Nature has agreed to publish my comment (I hope it's soon).

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett replied on Feb. 10, 2015 @ 07:07 GMT
How about that? Nature journal has published a Comment of mine online. You can read it here

Bookmark and Share

Sujatha Jagannathan wrote on Feb. 16, 2015 @ 09:35 GMT
Out-of-the-box thinking!

Sincerely,

Miss. Sujatha Jagannathan

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Rodney Bartlett replied on Feb. 16, 2015 @ 12:07 GMT
Many thanks for your comment, Sujatha! Science (and the rest of this world) needs out-of-the-box thinking if it's going to progress.

All the best,

Rodney

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Mar. 25, 2015 @ 03:11 GMT
Another couple of comments for "Nature" -

My page is feeling rather lonely. It doesn't get many comments. So I'll have to make a comment of my own. It's sort of related to my FQXi essay because I've been swamped with ideas in the last 6 months which have led up to my comments on Nature's website, and the FQXi essay was definitely a step towards these new ideas. Also, there's a connection to Max Tegmark's concept of the universe being mathematical.

#1 - scroll way down the page to see my response to "Supernova 'kaleidoscope' seen for first time" Nature 1

#2 - scroll down to see my elaboration of this basic idea after "Neutrinos from the primary proton–proton fusion process in the Sun" Nature 2[/limk]

Jayakar Johnson Joseph wrote on Mar. 26, 2015 @ 03:11 GMT
Dear Rodney,

I think reconciling the Unified Field is possible by considering the fields as the extension of matter, as strings. But still the Mysterious Connection between Physics and Mathematics is the Truth.

With best regards, Jayakar

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett replied on Mar. 31, 2015 @ 05:58 GMT
Gear Jayakar,

I've been giving a lot of thought to what you said about reconciling the Unified Field. You're right to use strings to unite the fields and matter. I've decided to call the strings bits (binary digits) that aren't only regarded as units of information, but also as quantum-size pulses of energy -

I read an article about quantum teleporting information 143 km in the...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Mar. 31, 2015 @ 15:19 GMT
Dear Mr. Bartlett,

I thought that your engrossing essay was exceptionally well written and I do hope that it fares well in the competition.

I think Newton was wrong about abstract gravity; Einstein was wrong about abstract space/time, and Hawking was wrong about the explosive capability of NOTHING.

All I ask is that you give my essay WHY THE REAL UNIVERSE IS NOT MATHEMATICAL a fair reading and that you allow me to answer any objections you may leave in my comment box about it.

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett replied on Apr. 2, 2015 @ 05:16 GMT
Verily I say unto thee (I always wanted to use that expression), WELL DONE! Many thanks for saying my essay's engrossing and exceptionally well written. I had to read your essay a second time to appreciate its real value. You’ve stimulated me to write a lot, so I’ll divide this into 5 comments.

Comment #1

In my opinion, what your essay refers to as "inert light" is what I refer...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin wrote on Apr. 6, 2015 @ 12:28 GMT
Dear Rodney,

Contests FQXi is primarily a contest of new original ideas. In your essay you give such original ideas. And it is very important not only for the Contest.

Today in fundamental science there is a deep crisis of understanding, crisis of representation and interpretation. This profound existential crisis of basic science - universal human problems. Mathematics and Physics require a deep ontological justification (basification). In fundamental Physics is necessary to introduce an ontological standard justification along with the empirical standard.

I invite you to see my analysis of the philosophical foundations of mathematics and physics, the method of ontological constructing of the primordial generating structure, "La Structure mère" as the ontological framework, carcass and foundation of knowledge, the core of which - the ontological (structural, cosmic) memory and information - polyvalent phenomenon of the ontological (structural) memory of Universum as a whole. I believe that the scientific picture of the world should be the same rich senses of the "LifeWorld", as a picture of the world poets and philosophers.

Kind regards,

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Patrick Tonin wrote on Apr. 22, 2015 @ 19:24 GMT
Hi Rodney,

You have put a lot of new ideas in your essay. Some I agree and some I don't but I like the spirit.

I also believe that binary digits are at the basis of spacetime. You can take a look at my essay or my model if you want to find out how I got those equations.

Don't dispair about the score and the lack of feedback, just believe in what you do.

All the best,

Patrick

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Jun. 10, 2015 @ 09:05 GMT
I just added a comment to the website of Nature journal, in response to the article "What is really real?" by FQXi's Zeeya Merali. My comment was somehow duplicated on Nature - but I'll post it here,and hope it comes out right (as a single copy)

May I propose an alternative to the probabilistic understanding of quantum mechanics - one using hidden variables...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Rodney Bartlett wrote on Jun. 11, 2015 @ 09:20 GMT
PS to my previous comment yesterday -

The human-made universe (1) has all distance associated with its 1's andd 0's deleted according to the Yale experiment (2), producing entanglement in space and in time.

(1) "New way of developing information technology and imaginary time for the purpose of building the universe" (http://vixra.org/abs/1503.0169)

(2) "What is consciousness?" (http://vixra.org/abs/1502.0129)

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.