Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Nidahl Haddad: on 10/19/14 at 22:44pm UTC, wrote Hi Tim! Thanks for the comment! We did the animations "by hand" (on a...

David Goehring: on 9/25/14 at 13:54pm UTC, wrote This is a beautiful video. Great work. I loved the motion graphics work...

Tim Blais: on 9/25/14 at 7:28am UTC, wrote Quirky and actually explanatory! Loved the mythological form, and I laughed...

Raghottam Sattigeri: on 9/23/14 at 13:06pm UTC, wrote Great job here to explain the phenomena of piezoelectricity... Keep it up!!...

Cristinel Stoica: on 9/12/14 at 7:04am UTC, wrote Very beautiful! I wish you do well in the contest! If you have time, I...

Teresa Mendes: on 9/11/14 at 13:29pm UTC, wrote Madeleine, You wrote in my video page "This is admirable and at times when...

Marc Séguin: on 9/11/14 at 0:46am UTC, wrote Madeleine and Nidahl, Great video... artistic, poetic and scientific at...

madeleine richter: on 9/10/14 at 23:37pm UTC, wrote Hi Mark, we left you a comment and rated your video! Your feedback and...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: "OK" in What Will Quantum...

Lorraine Ford: "Georgina, I have no idea what you are talking about, or what point you are..." in What Will Quantum...

charlie Ford: "This particular papers fabulous, and My spouse and i enjoy each of the..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

elena smith: "Basic Outlook principles that could save your time Nowadays, everybody is..." in Are We Merging With Our...

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Joe, what is mostly illuminated by ONE INFINITE type of finite..." in First Things First: The...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar supposedly..." in First Things First: The...

Steve Dufourny: "Let s extrapolate an universal Lagrangian Hamiltonian correlated with this..." in Alternative Models of...

Anousheh Aslam: "Great post Organization 13 coat" in Quark Stars and a New...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
December 13, 2019

CATEGORY: Show Me the Physics! Video Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: Piezoelectricity: A Love Story by Nidahl Haddad [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Nidahl Haddad wrote on Aug. 26, 2014 @ 16:21 GMT
Video Image

Video URL

http://youtu.be/VzZUTe_zijk

Video Description

investigating the phenomena of strange materials that emit energy when crunched, the creators of this film also explore the myth of two souls that have to overcome gigantic struggles to fulfill their desire to be together. Showing both, the power of desire and electromagnetism, amourous and electrical attraction this video explains the magic of metals that help us communicate with underwater objects or tiny "crystal-batteries" that allow dancefloors to create electricity.

Video Co-Creator(s)

Madeleine Richter

Video Creator Bio

Being excited by physics, Nidahl Haddad and Madeleine Richter also share a passion for image making - digitally or good ol' analog - that inspired this project. Exploring the science behind piezoelectricity, we still find that the mystery that struck us initially hasn't lost any of its fascination - this seems to be the conclusion, for us anyway.

Bookmark and Share

fernelly sarria wrote on Aug. 26, 2014 @ 19:56 GMT
awesome take on piezoelectricity !

Bookmark and Share

Kyle Kukshtel wrote on Aug. 28, 2014 @ 00:37 GMT
wonderful! i love the poetry of science — peeling it back to a narrative love with a wonderful illustration does both the science and the beauty behind it (and innate to it) justice.

Bookmark and Share

Emily Spencer wrote on Aug. 29, 2014 @ 01:44 GMT
very creative story line! I would love to learn more about the crystals- specific types and how their energy can be harnessed

Bookmark and Share

Nidahl Haddad replied on Aug. 29, 2014 @ 20:15 GMT
Hi Emily!

Thanks so much for the kind words :)

Piezoelectricity and piezoluminescence are phenomena that can be seen in certain crystals as well as some ceramics. Quartz is know to be triboluminescent, meaning it emits light when scratched or rubbed. You can see a neat example that I found on youtube HERE

There are many applications.

One can make an acoustic musical instrument into an electric one (via an amplifier) See : Here

Or even make a dance floor that generates it's own electricity! See Here

Even our bones are piezoelectric! See here: See Here

There is some evidence to suggest that the piezoelectricity of our bones effect biological processes (though I do not know the biology and have not done any research, I still find it to be a neat idea)

Anyway, I hope this has been informative :). I'd love to continue the dialogue if you have any thoughts

Bookmark and Share

Nidahl Haddad replied on Aug. 29, 2014 @ 21:45 GMT
It should be noted that the only studies that I could find regarding the biological effects of electricity in wet (live) bone are from the 1970s. If anyone in the community has any sources or can shed some light on this, I would be very interested. :)

Bookmark and Share

Gino Knodel wrote on Sep. 1, 2014 @ 20:31 GMT
This was a very nice introduction to Piezoelectricity. I really enjoyed your use of animations to illustrate the main ideas.

We would appreciate it if you could find the time to take a look at our own short video on Quantum Gravity

--Gino

Bookmark and Share

madeleine richter replied on Sep. 9, 2014 @ 03:42 GMT
We did an hope you do well in the competition!

Nidahl and Madeleine

Bookmark and Share

Henryk Stawicki wrote on Sep. 4, 2014 @ 16:45 GMT
Wow! This is so different. I'm in love (with piezoelectricity)

Bookmark and Share

Allen Ruilova wrote on Sep. 5, 2014 @ 20:47 GMT
Loved it, made me consider the power of nature expressed in both the physical as well as spiritual realm. Only critique I have is it would have been better to substitute the 'intro to electricity' part with more visuals correlating the subtle nature of the power of love and the more mysterious and subtle forces of nature. This concept is definitely demonstrated in the short but a little more overt elaboration could increase the entertainment factor and help it flow a little better.

Great work!

Bookmark and Share

Member Tejinder Pal Singh wrote on Sep. 7, 2014 @ 08:15 GMT
Beautifully done!

Tejinder

Bookmark and Share

andrea ivonne garza de leon wrote on Sep. 8, 2014 @ 23:23 GMT
BEAUTIFUL video, beautiful art direction, great explanation and storytelling on the subject of electricity and electromagnetism, thank for sharing this awesome project.

My video " having fun no matter what"

Andrea Garza

Bookmark and Share

isabel mehl wrote on Sep. 9, 2014 @ 03:37 GMT
This is so very poetic and lets me forget all my nightmares about physics at school! thank you.

Bookmark and Share

Kristen Hamilton wrote on Sep. 10, 2014 @ 15:38 GMT
This is a very interesting and artistic video. I like the look you achieved with the overlaying animations. Good luck!

It looks like we both need 4 more ratings to get to the minimum of 10. I'll give you a rating, and if you could watch and rate mine it would be greatly appreciated. My video is "The Cool Physics of Refrigeration."

Bookmark and Share

madeleine richter replied on Sep. 10, 2014 @ 22:13 GMT
We checked out your video and liked it a lot! Nidahl and I also left a comment if you're interested :) Good luck and best wishes for you, Kirsten!

Bookmark and Share

madeleine richter replied on Sep. 10, 2014 @ 22:18 GMT
.. and David of course ;)

Bookmark and Share

Mark Edward Prince wrote on Sep. 10, 2014 @ 21:59 GMT
Looks like we need to help each other out contestants!!! I have given your video a community vote!!! Please can you do the same for mine???http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2136

It is called "convection? Heat transfer? Who cares?"....

I hope that I can rely on you reciprocating the favour!!! Good luck!!

Bookmark and Share

madeleine richter replied on Sep. 10, 2014 @ 23:37 GMT
Hi Mark,

we left you a comment and rated your video! Your feedback and vote is greatly appreciated and we hope to see more "Science Geek" videos! Best luck, Madeleine

Bookmark and Share

Member Marc Séguin wrote on Sep. 11, 2014 @ 00:46 GMT
Madeleine and Nidahl,

Great video... artistic, poetic and scientific at the same time! I love the hand drawn lines that make up your animations!

I thought the second part about the piezoelectric effect itself was the most original part, and although I loved the rubbed cat at the beginning of the video, I felt that for the non-initiated, the fundamental difference between regular static electricity created by electron transfer (for example, between the amber and the cat) and piezoelectricity was not made explicit enough. What makes piezoelectricity special is that the crystal itself remains neutral, while opposite net charges appear on opposite faces.

That said, I am really glad your video is doing well and will only need one more vote (after I've added mine) to reach 10 votes. I submitted 3 videos in this contest (the trilogy "This Is Physics") and although part 1 has already reached the 10 votes threshold, parts 2 and 3 are still in need of votes (I think a few people watched all 3 but only rated the first part). If you could take a look at my videos and leave me feedback, it would be quite appreciated. By the way, I have also tried to achieve a "hand-drawn" look by using chalk textures, but it is fake, since almost everything has been drawn by computer!

Good luck in the contest!

Marc

Bookmark and Share

Teresa Mendes wrote on Sep. 11, 2014 @ 13:29 GMT
Madeleine,

You wrote in my video page "This is admirable and at times when I struggle with animation, illustration, drawing - things I love - I shall be reminded of the way you pursue your goal. "

Know that, every time, in my struggle, I will have to make a video, I will think of you and your skills in animation...

I did enjoy your video: the story telling, the minimal animation fused with the two real hands, the running cat that made me smile, the way you (and Nidhal) reminded me something that I had already forgotten from the times when I was a chemistry student.

Lovely video ... I will rate it as it deserves, of course.

Keep making videos, ok? [ I would love to have (both of) you on my team.]

Sincerely

Teresa

Bookmark and Share

Cristinel Stoica wrote on Sep. 12, 2014 @ 07:04 GMT
Very beautiful! I wish you do well in the contest! If you have time, I would appreciate if you will watch and rate my videos The puzzle of quantum reality and Can a black hole keep a secret?.

Best regards,

Cristi

Bookmark and Share

Raghottam Manoj Sattigeri wrote on Sep. 23, 2014 @ 13:06 GMT
Great job here to explain the phenomena of piezoelectricity... Keep it up!!

Please go through my video also and rate it and give me your valuable suggestions... The topic of my video is - PHYSICS THE ODYSSEY...

Regards

Bookmark and Share

Tim Blais wrote on Sep. 25, 2014 @ 07:28 GMT
Quirky and actually explanatory! Loved the mythological form, and I laughed out loud at the seriousness in the narrator's voice at the line "a cat was taken advantage of." That part of the story felt like a bit of a turn into left field, but also that was what made it work, somehow.

Technical question: What program did you use for the overlaid animations? I've been wanting to try some similar things but haven't found a good platform.

Anyways, good job; I'd love to see a whole series of these! If you feel like checking out and/or rating my videos, they're the A Capella Science ones.

Cheers!

-Tim

Bookmark and Share

Nidahl Haddad replied on Oct. 19, 2014 @ 22:44 GMT
Hi Tim!

Thanks for the comment! We did the animations "by hand" (on a wacom tablet in photoshop timeline window) and then used after effects to do additional animation from the original .png sequences. Here is simple tutorial with a similar workflow: http://benmarkus.wordpress.com/2012/08/02/tutorials-for-hand
-drawn-and-organic-animation-techniques-part-1/

Hope this helps! And good luck :)

-Nidahl

Bookmark and Share

David Goehring wrote on Sep. 25, 2014 @ 13:54 GMT
This is a beautiful video. Great work. I loved the motion graphics work here.

Super compelling. Just rated you 5 stars.

If you'd like, please check out my video Tons of Fun (physics rap) and vote for it. We just need 2 more votes! Thank you.

David G

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.