Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Raghottam Sattigeri: on 9/23/14 at 13:12pm UTC, wrote It's great to see how you popped out the physics behind these small things...

Robert Bender: on 9/18/14 at 15:32pm UTC, wrote 5 STARS from me!! IT IS AMAZING HOW SUCH A SIMPLE TOOL CAN TEACH SO MANY...

Henri De Roule: on 9/14/14 at 22:59pm UTC, wrote Thank you for your kind comments. The intention was to meet the...

Henri De Roule: on 9/14/14 at 21:49pm UTC, wrote Thanks and I will look at your submission now. My comments will be there.

Henri De Roule: on 9/14/14 at 21:45pm UTC, wrote Hi Marc and thank you for your comments. The one you may have missed is...

Mark Prince: on 9/10/14 at 22:01pm UTC, wrote Just got you up to the magic 10 votes!!!! Looks like we need to help each...

Ramona Taylor: on 9/10/14 at 21:50pm UTC, wrote Cool video. Enjoyed it and it covered so many different aspects of...

Cristinel Stoica: on 9/10/14 at 9:42am UTC, wrote It is amazing how simple toys can teach us that much! Very interesting! If...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

halim sutarmaja: "dewapoker hadir untuk semua pecinta game poker dengan teknologi terbaru dan..." in New Nuclear "Magic...

Jason Wolfe: "Hi Georgina, Steve, What is reality? The humorous answer, almost at the..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Jason Wolfe: "Joe, What you are saying sounds like mathematics. But mathematics doesn't..." in First Things First: The...

Joe Fisher: "Jason, You can only unnaturally make an infinite number of finite written..." in First Things First: The...

Jason Wolfe: "As for religious fundamentalists, I would rather deal with them, then with..." in More on agency from the...

Jason Wolfe: "The best we can do with the environment is to plant more trees and..." in More on agency from the...

gmail login: "Thanks a lot for the post. It has helped me get some nice ideas. I hope I..." in Bonus Koan: A Lake of...

Georgina Woodward: "Steve, I don't think the quantum representation of the hydrogen atom is an..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
November 18, 2019

CATEGORY: Show Me the Physics! Video Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: Pop for Physics by Henri Vonn De Roule [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Henri Vonn De Roule wrote on Aug. 26, 2014 @ 16:08 GMT
Video Image

Video URL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrUgnou55qA

Video Description

The video discusses how a common toy used for sales promotions can provide deep educational value for five important physics areas - gravity, potential and kenetic energy, materials science and fluid dynamics.

Video Co-Creator(s)

Patrick Stephens, IEHD Productions

Video Creator Bio

Henri V. De Roule is the founder and CEO of The Science Experience, an interactive exhibit science and technology center in Beaumont, California which serves all ages in an underprivileged and under-served population. He spent 20 years in sales and marketing worldwide, including living in Europe, and 20 years as the owner of a successful systems integration firm. He serves on numerous STEM advisory committees at the high school and college level. Patrick Stephens owns IEHD Productions and did all of the videography.

Bookmark and Share

Gino Knodel wrote on Sep. 1, 2014 @ 20:52 GMT
An interesting way of demonstrating basic physics concepts using only one relatively simple object. I would have enjoyed to see the popper drop in a more viscous fluid.

--Gino

PS: We would appreciate it if you could find the time to view and rate our own short video, Quantum Harmonies of Gravity.

Bookmark and Share

Henri Vonn De Roule wrote on Sep. 2, 2014 @ 17:48 GMT
Dear Gino,

Thank you for your kind comments. I, too, would have liked to see how the Popper does in various fluids and that is an experiment we will be conducting in our science center.

Bookmark and Share

Member Marc Séguin wrote on Sep. 3, 2014 @ 00:01 GMT
Henri,

Thank you for your fun video about the Popper, an interesting object that illustrates elastic potential energy, as it can bounce higher than the height at which it was dropped -- this is probably the most interesting thing you can do with it!

You mentioned 5 lessons at the beginning, but then you only talked about 3, numbering them 1 (material science), 3 (fluid dynamics) and 4 (gravity)... or did I miss something?

Good luck in the contest!

Marc

P.S. If you have a chance to view, comment and vote on my trilogy of videos entitled "This Is Physics" --- where I try to convey the "fun of physics" by focusing on some of the greatest moments of its history --- it would be quite appreciated!

Bookmark and Share

Henri Vonn De Roule replied on Sep. 14, 2014 @ 21:45 GMT
Hi Marc and thank you for your comments. The one you may have missed is the potential and kinetic energy, although you mention potential energy and elasticity. The fifth one ended up on the cutting room floor as we were trying to keep the video short. There are actually several others, if one thinks about it. We left out force.

Bookmark and Share

andrea ivonne garza de leon wrote on Sep. 8, 2014 @ 22:46 GMT
Hi Henri!

I like how you explain parts of physics in an interesting 2 minute video, good way to start learning, short and sweet, thank you for sharing your video and commentating and rating on mine!

Andrea Garza

Bookmark and Share

Henri Vonn De Roule replied on Sep. 14, 2014 @ 22:59 GMT
Thank you for your kind comments. The intention was to meet the requirements of the contest in the shortest and most concise manner possible. We could have expanded the video, as I am sure you are aware, but the intent was to stir minds.

Bookmark and Share

Kristen Hamilton wrote on Sep. 9, 2014 @ 01:06 GMT
This is a good video; it's clear, concise, and interesting. I'm a little confused about the numbering of those 5 lessons though. Are potential and kinetic energy separate lessons? It's a good video regardless.

My video is "The Cool Physics of Refrigeration." If you could watch and rate it, it would be greatly appreciated.

David

Bookmark and Share

James Lyons Walsh wrote on Sep. 9, 2014 @ 14:57 GMT
Hi,

Yours is a very nice video. As a teacher whose work would probably be improved by doing more demonstrations in lecture than I do, this was an excellent reminder that there are many simple but effective things I could be doing if I looked for them. Thanks.

If you'd like to see and rate our video, it's at http://www.fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2206. Thanks if you get the chance.

James

Bookmark and Share

Cristinel Stoica wrote on Sep. 10, 2014 @ 09:42 GMT
It is amazing how simple toys can teach us that much! Very interesting! If you have time, I would appreciate if you too will watch and rate my videos The puzzle of quantum reality and Can a black hole keep a secret?.

Best regards,

Cristi

Bookmark and Share

Ramona Leigh Taylor wrote on Sep. 10, 2014 @ 21:50 GMT
Cool video. Enjoyed it and it covered so many different aspects of physics!!

Bookmark and Share

Mark Edward Prince wrote on Sep. 10, 2014 @ 22:01 GMT
Just got you up to the magic 10 votes!!!! Looks like we need to help each other out contestants!!! I have given your video a community vote!!! Please can you do the same for mine???http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2136

It is called "convection? Heat transfer? Who cares?"....

I hope that I can rely on you reciprocating the favour!!! Good luck!!

Bookmark and Share

Henri Vonn De Roule replied on Sep. 14, 2014 @ 21:49 GMT
Thanks and I will look at your submission now. My comments will be there.

Bookmark and Share

Robert L Bender wrote on Sep. 18, 2014 @ 15:32 GMT
5 STARS from me!! IT IS AMAZING HOW SUCH A SIMPLE TOOL CAN TEACH SO MANY PHYSICS LESSONS!!! Thank you for this video sir, and please continue to make more!

Bookmark and Share

Raghottam Manoj Sattigeri wrote on Sep. 23, 2014 @ 13:12 GMT
It's great to see how you popped out the physics behind these small things of our day to day life...

Please go through my video also and rate it and give me your valuable suggestions... The topic of my video is - PHYSICS THE ODYSSEY...

Regards

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.