Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Ian Harris: on 9/27/14 at 1:23am UTC, wrote Very informative video! Very intriguing concept to make a video on! I'd...

Alexander Roth: on 9/12/14 at 21:21pm UTC, wrote Dear Mr. Schneider, This is a worthwhile and interesting video and thank...

Schatzie Dudee: on 9/12/14 at 18:44pm UTC, wrote Thank you so much! It's mind blowing to think of how far we've come in just...

Al Schneider: on 9/10/14 at 8:43am UTC, wrote I hope I don’t bore you with this. Why are we having all these problems? ...

Al Schneider: on 8/29/14 at 17:51pm UTC, wrote Emily: Thanks for pointing that out. That is something I agonized over. My...

Emily Spencer: on 8/29/14 at 1:48am UTC, wrote The topic is very interesting but the presentation could be more dynamic....

Al Schneider: on 8/22/14 at 18:31pm UTC, wrote Video Image Video URL http://youtu.be/8nVuNOIpq6I ...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Amy Morris: "Amazon prime Phone Number Amazon Prime Phone Number 1-833-260-7367..." in Cosmic Dawn, Parallel...

Jason Wolfe: "I think physicists, in their effort to be mathematically and logically..." in More on agency from the...

Jason Wolfe: "Hi Georgina, It was hard enough trying to figure out a first cause..." in More on agency from the...

Georgina Woodward: "Old mice can be rejuvenated, without time reversal. Age as measured by..." in First Things First: The...

Georgina Woodward: "YouTube video: David Sinclair - Cracking & reversing the aging clock -..." in First Things First: The...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
November 15, 2019

CATEGORY: Show Me the Physics! Video Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: Entropy is Conserved by Al Schneider [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Al Schneider wrote on Aug. 22, 2014 @ 18:31 GMT
Video Image

Video URL

http://youtu.be/8nVuNOIpq6I

Video Description

The third law of thermodynamics is that entropy increases. This video purports that, under specific conditions, entropy is conserved and decreases. In the world of normal, this not observed. However, on a cosmic scale, this could be significant.

Video Creator Bio

Al Schneider graduated from Wayne State University with a B. S. in Physics in 1969. Professionally, he he was a contract programmer concentrating on industrial and scientific projects. His side interests were wide including sleight-of-hand magic, karate, sword fighting, skiing, and theoretical physics. There, his main interest was special relativity and quantum mechanics.

Bookmark and Share

Emily Spencer wrote on Aug. 29, 2014 @ 01:48 GMT
The topic is very interesting but the presentation could be more dynamic. It would be more interesting if there were more figures and less text. You don't need every word you say on a slide. A more natural feeling presentation better relates to the audience and gets their attention.

Bookmark and Share

Al Schneider replied on Aug. 29, 2014 @ 17:51 GMT
Emily:

Thanks for pointing that out. That is something I agonized over. My only excuse is that I was trying to make the deadline.

However, I am surprised you did not comment on the assertion this article is making. In the physics community to say Entropy is Conserved is hearsay. It is in direct opposition to the third law of thermodynamics. That law is more valued than Einstein's special relativity or even E=Mc^2. It violates the so called arrow of time.

If the community were to take this point seriously, it would be worth a Nobel Prize.

Bookmark and Share

Schatzie Dudee wrote on Sep. 12, 2014 @ 18:44 GMT
Thank you so much! It's mind blowing to think of how far we've come in just 100 years! I hadn't really thought about it until you mentioned that in your video. It's truly incredible.

If you get a moment, can you please vote on our two short videos? We would really appreciate it!

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2167

http://fqxi.org
/community/forum/topic/2230

Have a great day!

Schatzie Dudee

Bookmark and Share

Alexander Roth wrote on Sep. 12, 2014 @ 21:21 GMT
Dear Mr. Schneider,

This is a worthwhile and interesting video and thank you for creating it. I rarely, if ever, get any involvement with thermodynamics and so I appreciate the review of the topic, which was well done. The graphics were fine and clarified the points you were making.

As with most of your viewers, I think, our education taught us that entropy increases, although on a small scale, occasionally, it goes the other way, as shown perhaps by living creatures. You make your point well, however.

Although not essential, very faint, non distracting background music, as many other videos employ, help to liven up presentations.

Wishing you best of luck in the competition. I would greatly appreciate a review, if you have an opportunity, of my entry (Special Rel…..).

Best,

Alexander Roth

Bookmark and Share

Ian C Harris wrote on Sep. 27, 2014 @ 01:23 GMT
Very informative video! Very intriguing concept to make a video on!

I'd appreciate it if you would stop by, give our video a watch and rate it!

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2189

Thanks in advance,

Ian Harris

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.