Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Adam Katcher: on 9/11/14 at 23:10pm UTC, wrote Hi, the demonstrations you showed were all very nice (which is clear from...

Sorana Stoica: on 9/11/14 at 19:01pm UTC, wrote Your video is very interesting, and I loved it! My video is A universe in...

Marc Séguin: on 8/30/14 at 21:20pm UTC, wrote Clint, As I pointed out in my comment on your "Wisconsin Idea" video, your...

Julien Sprott: on 8/22/14 at 17:46pm UTC, wrote Video Image Video URL ...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Lorraine, I have difficultties to understand why you are against the..." in More on agency from the...

Kevin Pryor: "I agree with you. Panpsychism (particles are conscious) and cosmopsychism..." in More on agency from the...

Georgina Woodward: "Re."To explain why time only flows in one direction, physicists often..." in First Things First: The...

Anonymous: "The confrontation between different viewpoints is always an interesting..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

emma jio: "in your printer have any issues like printing issues or anything which..." in New Nuclear "Magic...

Steve Dufourny: "I must insist on a global crisis inside the sciences Community. It is due..." in Alternative Models of...

Georgina Woodward: "Steve, first to accept the quantum superposition, it is necessary to accept..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
November 12, 2019

CATEGORY: Show Me the Physics! Video Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: The Wonders of Physics - 25th Season Celebration by Julien Clinton Sprott [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Julien Clinton Sprott wrote on Aug. 22, 2014 @ 17:46 GMT
Video Image

Video URL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0ovYBwcq6E&list=UU0OrDvG
wVQA1ZvTCGS3Un6Q

Video Description

To celebrate the 25th season of The Wonders of Physics, Prof. Sprott and his assistants procure a time machine and attempt to bring back Prof. Sprott from his first show in 1984, but the time machine keeps malfunctioning and producing various scientists from the past including The Mad Scientist from the Tonight Show with Jay Leno and Prof. Sprott as a teenager and as a very old man.

Video Creator Bio

Julien Clinton Sprott, born September 16, 1942 in Memphis, Tennessee, received his B.S. in physics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1964 and his Ph.D. in physics from the University of Wisconsin in 1969. He worked at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory for several years before returning to the University of Wisconsin to join the physics faculty in 1973. In 2008, he became an Emeritus Professor of Physics.

Bookmark and Share

Member Marc Séguin wrote on Aug. 30, 2014 @ 21:20 GMT
Clint,

As I pointed out in my comment on your "Wisconsin Idea" video, your Wonder of Physics shows are the very embodiment of "show me the physics"!

If I had some criticism to make, it would be that sometimes, the demonstrations go too fast and there is not enough "explaining" of what is going on, so that the uninitiated spectator is left mostly with the "magic trick" aspect of the demonstration. For example, the moving spool that can go either way depending on the angle of the string pulling it (at the 6 minute mark) comes out almost like a magic trick instead of as a wonderful application of the concept of torque (as you nicely explain in your own book "Physics Demonstrations: A Sourcebook for Teachers of Physics" when you present this demonstration). Of course, your target audience is quite young and a detailed explanation would go over their heads, but some brief mention of the physics might convey the message that physics is much more than neat tricks! Similarly, a little bit more exposition about the concept of pressure might have made the spectacular bed of nails demonstration (around the 25 minute mark) even more instructive.

Overall, though, congratulations for a dazzling one-hour journey through some of the best demonstrations that physics can offer. I hope your videos do well in this contest. Good luck!

Marc

P.S. If you have a chance to view, comment and vote on my trilogy of videos entitled "This Is Physics" --- where I try to convey the "fun of physics" by focusing on some of the greatest moments of its history --- it would be quite appreciated!

Bookmark and Share

Sorana Dana Stoica wrote on Sep. 11, 2014 @ 19:01 GMT
Your video is very interesting, and I loved it!

My video is A universe in a cup of water, I hope you will like it too.

I wish you success!

Victor

Bookmark and Share

Adam Katcher wrote on Sep. 11, 2014 @ 23:10 GMT
Hi,

the demonstrations you showed were all very nice (which is clear from the live audience feedback)!

I must say that the feature length of the video threw me off a bit, but this was an hour long live demonstration being filmed after all.

Keep up the good work!

In case you didn't yet, feel free to look up our video, in which we discuss what is quantum gravity, present an existing solution and give examples of applications and future directions:

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2221

Best,

--
Pedro

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.