Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Jonathan Dickau: on 9/26/14 at 0:45am UTC, wrote I am hoping you will have time to rate and comment on my video.. Can the...

Raghottam Sattigeri: on 9/23/14 at 13:25pm UTC, wrote Great video about the wonders of physics... Please go through my video...

Cristinel Stoica: on 9/11/14 at 17:00pm UTC, wrote Dear Professor Sprott, Excellent show, I am happy to be the one giving the...

Jonathan Dickau: on 9/11/14 at 4:45am UTC, wrote Excellent good fun Clint! I will never tire of watching these Wonders of...

Kevin Knuth: on 9/11/14 at 4:11am UTC, wrote Dear Prof. Sprott, I really enjoy your physics demonstrations. They are...

Mark Prince: on 9/8/14 at 14:09pm UTC, wrote Dear Professor Sprott! Tremendous stuff! I wish you could visit my school...

Marc Séguin: on 8/30/14 at 21:43pm UTC, wrote Clint, Thank you for another entertaining Wonder of Physics show. This...

Joe Fisher: on 8/27/14 at 15:11pm UTC, wrote Dear Professor Sprott, Thank you ever so much for your sagacious comment. ...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Jason Wolfe: "Joe, What you are saying sounds like mathematics. But mathematics doesn't..." in First Things First: The...

Joe Fisher: "Jason, You can only unnaturally make an infinite number of finite written..." in First Things First: The...

Jason Wolfe: "As for religious fundamentalists, I would rather deal with them, then with..." in More on agency from the...

Jason Wolfe: "The best we can do with the environment is to plant more trees and..." in More on agency from the...

gmail login: "Thanks a lot for the post. It has helped me get some nice ideas. I hope I..." in Bonus Koan: A Lake of...

Georgina Woodward: "Steve, I don't think the quantum representation of the hydrogen atom is an..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Agnew: "You are very good at defending a classical macroscopic and objective..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

SAJ Real Estate: "Nice one. Real Estate Sales St Kitts" in A Close Encounter

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
November 16, 2019

CATEGORY: Show Me the Physics! Video Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: The Wonders of Physics - 30th Season Celebration by Julien Clinton Sprott [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Julien Clinton Sprott wrote on Aug. 22, 2014 @ 17:40 GMT
Video Image

Video URL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shilWi323Jc&list=UU0OrDvG
wVQA1ZvTCGS3Un6Q

Video Description

Prof. Sprott is invited to Mars to celebrate the 30th season of The Wonders of Physics, where he encounters various Martian scientists who explain the physics behind some of the phenomena that occur on Mars.

Video Creator Bio

Julien Clinton Sprott, born September 16, 1942 in Memphis, Tennessee, received his B.S. in physics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1964 and his Ph.D. in physics from the University of Wisconsin in 1969. He worked at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory for several years before returning to the University of Wisconsin to join the physics faculty in 1973. In 2008, he became an Emeritus Professor of Physics.

Bookmark and Share

Julien Clinton Sprott wrote on Aug. 26, 2014 @ 16:07 GMT
Joe -- I never heard of a paper being rejected by a reputable journal because the author was "uncredentialed, and unaffiliated" or of such an author being charged a fee if the paper was accepted for publication. In fact, many journals waive their page charges for authors from underdeveloped countries. It's very common to have papers, even good ones, rejected, but it should be for scientific reasons, not because of the credentials of the author. The usual next step is to revise the paper in accordance with the comments of the editor/reviewer and submit to a different journal, which is apparently what you did. I don't have an opinion about your theorem, but I encourage you to keep thinking and communicating with knowledgeable, interested people. Good luck.

-- Clint

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher replied on Aug. 27, 2014 @ 15:11 GMT
Dear Professor Sprott,

Thank you ever so much for your sagacious comment.

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share

Member Marc Séguin wrote on Aug. 30, 2014 @ 21:43 GMT
Clint,

Thank you for another entertaining Wonder of Physics show. This 30th anniversary special had a lot of great demonstrations: the ping pong atmospheric pressure gun (around the 17 minute mark), the fixed length flute with 4 types of gases playing 4 different notes (24 min. mark), the electromagnetic induction gun that sends rings higher when they are cold or if there is an iron core present (41 min), the slow-motion free fall of a magnet above a cold conducting plate (46 min), the laser being jiggled by a flame (48 min.), the sunset in the aquarium (51 min.) and the colored balloon being blown up by a laser inside a clear balloon (53 min.).

On a more critical note, as I noted in my post about your 25th anniversary video, I felt that the physics behind some demonstrations was note sufficiently explained (the bowling ball pendulum at the 3 minute mark could have benefited from a discussion about energy conservation, the principle of the protecting metal cage at the 31 minute mark is not really explained, and the water being deflected by a charged rod at the 34 minute mark is not that intriguing when you do not mention that it is attracted although it is not itself charged). I also found that it was not made clear enough that the statement around the 44 minute mark that magnetic energy can increase the nutrition value of "Martian Dew" was a joke (I am nitpicking, I know!).

Once again, good luck in the contest!

Marc

P.S. If you have a chance to view, comment and vote on my trilogy of videos entitled "This Is Physics" --- where I try to convey the "fun of physics" by focusing on some of the greatest moments of its history --- it would be quite appreciated!

Bookmark and Share

Mark Edward Prince wrote on Sep. 8, 2014 @ 14:09 GMT
Dear Professor Sprott! Tremendous stuff! I wish you could visit my school in Germany with your show. Physics heroes! You certainly get my community vote.

We would love to know what you think of our video "Convection? Heat transfer? Who cares?"

http://www.fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2136

Bookmark and Share

Member Kevin H Knuth wrote on Sep. 11, 2014 @ 04:11 GMT
Dear Prof. Sprott,

I really enjoy your physics demonstrations. They are visually appealing and memorable, and it is fun to see them put to a storyline. They would be great fun to see in person!

Good Luck!

Cheers

Kevin Knuth

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Sep. 11, 2014 @ 04:45 GMT
Excellent good fun Clint!

I will never tire of watching these Wonders of Physics presentations, and the Martian theme made this one especially memorable. Good luck in the contest!

All the Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Cristinel Stoica wrote on Sep. 11, 2014 @ 17:00 GMT
Dear Professor Sprott,

Excellent show, I am happy to be the one giving the tenth vote to your cool video. If you have time, I would appreciate if you will watch and rate my videos The puzzle of quantum reality and Can a black hole keep a secret?.

Best regards,

Cristi

Bookmark and Share

Raghottam Manoj Sattigeri wrote on Sep. 23, 2014 @ 13:25 GMT
Great video about the wonders of physics...

Please go through my video also and rate it and give me your valuable suggestions... The topic of my video is - PHYSICS THE ODYSSEY...

Regards

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Sep. 26, 2014 @ 00:45 GMT
I am hoping you will have time to rate and comment on my video..

Can the Mandelbrot Set help us understand the Cosmos?

Regards,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.