Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Jonathan Dickau: on 9/26/14 at 0:39am UTC, wrote I am hoping you will have time to rate and comment on my video.. Can the...

Jonathan Dickau: on 9/13/14 at 20:29pm UTC, wrote Well done Colin, Matt, and Craig... It might have been nice to hear more...

Michael muteru: on 9/13/14 at 11:20am UTC, wrote Wonderful video nice stting most of all it simplifies complexity,just voted...

Schatzie Dudee: on 9/12/14 at 18:52pm UTC, wrote Really nice explanation. Very easy to understand and great production...

William De Rocco: on 9/11/14 at 14:51pm UTC, wrote Hello Dr. Hennessey and Dr. Johnson, A very nice video. I am a huge fan of...

Matthew Johnson: on 8/11/14 at 15:34pm UTC, wrote Video Image Video URL ...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Robert McEachern: ""But what do scientists hope quantum computers will be good for,..." in What Will Quantum...

Zeeya Merali: "Over the past couple of months there’s been renewed interest, and quite..." in What Will Quantum...

Jason Wolfe: "If I could write an unconventional model of reality, it would come with a..." in Alternative Models of...

Steve Dufourny: "the fuzzy spheres are very relevant in fact ,they are non commutative, I..." in Alternative Models of...

Jason Wolfe: "You should consider that wave functions describe the possible position and..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Jason Wolfe: "I wonder why there is no interpretation of QM that says the wave function..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Jason Wolfe: "Joe Fisher, I'm not sure reality is sensible. But the NDE/ghost stuff is..." in First Things First: The...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
November 21, 2019

CATEGORY: Show Me the Physics! Video Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: Putting The Multiverse To The Test by Colin Hunter [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Member Matthew Johnson wrote on Aug. 11, 2014 @ 15:34 GMT
Video Image

Video URL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0uyR6JPkz4

Video Description

Perimeter Associate Faculty member Matthew Johnson explains the related concepts of inflation, eternal inflation, and the multiverse. The multiverse hypothesis, he argues, is more than metaphysics -- the idea that there might be other universes can be scientifically tested.

Video Co-Creator(s)

Craig Hennessey, Perimeter Institute
Matthew Johnson, Perimeter Institute and York University

Video Creator Bio

“Putting the Multiverse to the Test” was created by Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. The video features Matthew Johnson, Perimeter Institute Associate Faculty member and assistant professor of Physics & Astronomy at York University. Video recording and editing by Craig Hennessey (A/V Technician, Perimeter Institute); interview and production by Colin Hunter (Senior Scientific Writer/Editor, Perimeter Institute).

Bookmark and Share

William De Rocco wrote on Sep. 11, 2014 @ 14:51 GMT
Hello Dr. Hennessey and Dr. Johnson,

A very nice video. I am a huge fan of the Perimeter Institute (it's always kind of been a pipe dream of mine to work there one day...) and am continually amazed by the work being done there. This is just another example. Thanks for the video.

Will+Katie

P.S. It would be really appreciated if you could take a look at our video "What is Supersymmetry?" and rate it. Thank you so much.

Bookmark and Share

Schatzie Dudee wrote on Sep. 12, 2014 @ 18:52 GMT
Really nice explanation. Very easy to understand and great production value. Thanks so much!

If you get a moment, can you please vote on our 2 short videos? They both deal w/this subject as well, but our video making is pretty shabby compared to yours!

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2167

http://fqxi.
org/community/forum/topic/2230

Thanks again,

Schatzie Dudee and kids

Bookmark and Share

Michael muteru wrote on Sep. 13, 2014 @ 11:20 GMT
Wonderful video nice stting most of all it simplifies complexity,just voted for it.Kindly take abit of your ample time to rate mine though on a notebook it deals with 11 dimensional reality and how it can actually be presented on a paper in 2 dimensions here -http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2223.Thankyou in advance

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Sep. 13, 2014 @ 20:29 GMT
Well done Colin, Matt, and Craig...

It might have been nice to hear more about the kind of signature that would indicate a multiverse exists, and how that would be distinguished from that produced by a single universe, cyclical repeating universe, and so forth. I got to hear Paul Steinhardt's lecture putting Inflation on trial, and he viewed the Multiverse hypothesis as an unfortunate side-effect of Inflation, which might undermine the rationale for choosing that approach in the first place.

As for myself; I am on the fence, or open to various possibilities. The cosmology based on the Mandelbrot Set, which I outline in my video, allows for the existence of multiple universes (as quaternionic bubbles in octonionic space) but puts constraints on their type and spells out their relationship to each other. Adjacent bubbles would display a progression of specific characteristics within a self-similar bulk formation, so our Physics would be somewhere between the Physics in bubbles on either 'side'. Anyhow; I enjoyed your presentation.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Sep. 26, 2014 @ 00:39 GMT
I am hoping you will have time to rate and comment on my video..

Can the Mandelbrot Set help us understand the Cosmos?

Regards,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.