Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

sherapova smith: on 12/10/17 at 16:50pm UTC, wrote At the same time, their high degree of effectiveness makes print have one...

Larry Boman: on 4/26/17 at 11:44am UTC, wrote The yellow media is blowing their importance out of proportion as they did...

Tim Blais: on 9/25/14 at 6:58am UTC, wrote FYI, supersymmetry also used to be talked about a lot as a way to solve the...

Stephane Durand: on 9/21/14 at 16:08pm UTC, wrote Amusing and interesting ! Thanks for your comments on my video. I just...

Henri De Roule: on 9/20/14 at 21:29pm UTC, wrote Great simple, non-math explanation of Supersymmetry. The length was just...

Michael muteru: on 9/13/14 at 12:20pm UTC, wrote hello will and Katie Supersymmetry - wow,maybe between fermions and...

Schatzie Dudee: on 9/12/14 at 19:33pm UTC, wrote Great job of making a complicated concept very simple. You did a really...

Ian Harris: on 9/11/14 at 19:42pm UTC, wrote Hey Will and Katie, I thoroughly enjoyed your video! It was very...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Dufourny: "Hi to both of you, in all case an egg is a spheroid, that it is sure and..." in What Will Quantum...

Steve Agnew: "Math gives us a way to predict outcomes from precursors just like religion..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Lorraine Ford: "Georgina, IF you were trying to claim that eggs could have a relationship..." in What Will Quantum...

charlie Ford: "This particular papers fabulous, and My spouse and i enjoy each of the..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

elena smith: "Basic Outlook principles that could save your time Nowadays, everybody is..." in Are We Merging With Our...

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Joe, what is mostly illuminated by ONE INFINITE type of finite..." in First Things First: The...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar supposedly..." in First Things First: The...

Steve Dufourny: "Let s extrapolate an universal Lagrangian Hamiltonian correlated with this..." in Alternative Models of...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
December 13, 2019

CATEGORY: Show Me the Physics! Video Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: What is Supersymmetry? by William De Rocco [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

William De Rocco wrote on Aug. 8, 2014 @ 21:08 GMT
Video Image

Video URL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vUgCcUGES8

Video Description

What is supersymmetry? In this video, the JESup team explains the basics behind this powerful theory in particle physics. Starting from an investigation of the symmetries of a square, we eventually work our way up to a discussion of the current search for evidence of supersymmetric particles with the Large Hadron Collider, a giant particle smasher buried beneath the Swiss-French border!

Video Co-Creator(s)

Katie Colford, Yale University

Video Creator Bio

Will De Rocco and Katie Colford are both juniors at Yale University. Will has had a love of physics since he was in second grade and has been working since then to pursue his dream of becoming a particle physicist. He has spent the last two summers working at CERN on the search for supersymmetry. Katie has always found physics a beautiful subject and enjoys trying to teach younger people about it.

Bookmark and Share

Member Marc Séguin wrote on Sep. 2, 2014 @ 21:16 GMT
Will and Katie,

Thank you for your entertaining and instructive video about supersymmetry. You made good use of pen and paper, and I particularly liked the analogy at the end of a pencil not being strong enough to bleed through the paper to reveal new symmetries!

Your video is a good match for the goal of this contest --- to show "the fun of physics" --- and I hope it does well. Good luck!

Marc

P.S. If you have a chance to view, comment and vote on my trilogy of videos entitled "This Is Physics" --- where I try to convey the "fun of physics" by focusing on some of the greatest moments of its history --- it would be quite appreciated! I think many of the participants in the contest have not yet realized that a video needs to get at least 10 community ratings to be considered for the final round, so I have started to actively ask for ratings... Don't hesitate to do the same, many authors had to resort to this approach in the previous contests organized by FQXi...

Bookmark and Share

William De Rocco replied on Sep. 3, 2014 @ 00:28 GMT
Thank you so much, Marc! We had no idea that a video had to get ten community ratings, so thanks for the heads up!

Bookmark and Share

Cristinel Stoica wrote on Sep. 11, 2014 @ 05:56 GMT
Hi JESup,

I like your presentation of symmetries and supersymmetry, it was fun and entertaining, but also manages to give an idea if what supersymmetry is good for to those who don't know about it. If you have time, I would appreciate if you will watch and rate my videos The puzzle of quantum reality and Can a black hole keep a secret?.

Best wishes,

Cristi

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Sep. 11, 2014 @ 18:16 GMT
Well it was fun,

Of course; at some point, it got a little too real, when I started to smell the Sharpie, but... I thoroughly enjoyed this piece. The analogy is perhaps a bit of a stretch, but we'll have to see. It is certain that some phenomena only 'live' in the higher energy regime, which may be a window on the higher-dimensional realm that could be home to super-symmetric particles. We'll have to see if the LHC is indeed sufficient to show us what 'bleeds through' from that regime, or if there are super-symmetric particles to be found.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Ian C Harris wrote on Sep. 11, 2014 @ 19:42 GMT
Hey Will and Katie,

I thoroughly enjoyed your video! It was very informative and well thought out. I also enjoyed the way you chose to present the information through illustrations.

If you get a chance I'd love to hear what you guys think of our video. Please don't forget to rate it!

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2189

Thanks so much,

Ian

Bookmark and Share

Schatzie Dudee wrote on Sep. 12, 2014 @ 19:33 GMT
Great job of making a complicated concept very simple. You did a really elegant job. Low tech, high quality. Love it! I keep thinking they've got to find proof of supersymmetry at CERN or there's gonna be trouble!

If you would please vote on our 2 short videos, we would really appreciate it:

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2167

http://fqxi.org
/community/forum/topic/2230

Thanks so much,

Schatzie Dudee and kids

Bookmark and Share

Michael muteru wrote on Sep. 13, 2014 @ 12:20 GMT
hello will and Katie

Supersymmetry - wow,maybe between fermions and Bosons.In strings Dualities.In the ordinary world The sexes Male and female,elegant and splendid in particle theory about chirality(handedness).in newtonian physics the concept of action and reaction.its what makes the world so exciting killing boredom,Please take your time to rate my simple video that at a glance gives you the concept of symmetry in 11 dimensions here- http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2223

Bookmark and Share

Henri Vonn De Roule wrote on Sep. 20, 2014 @ 21:29 GMT
Great simple, non-math explanation of Supersymmetry. The length was just right and noting that there appear to be a lot of missing bosons was well presented.

Thank you and please check out my video at:

http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2257

Bookmark and Share

Stephane Durand wrote on Sep. 21, 2014 @ 16:08 GMT
Amusing and interesting !

Thanks for your comments on my video. I just voted for yours, and you got 10 community ratings!

stephane

Bookmark and Share

Tim Blais wrote on Sep. 25, 2014 @ 06:58 GMT
FYI, supersymmetry also used to be talked about a lot as a way to solve the problem of the flatness of the universe. With all the quantum fields out there, they all have huge vacuum energies associated with them which, if we believe general relativity, should immensely warp spacetime into a wrapped-up curving mess. But if you have exactly symmetric bosonic and fermionic fields, everything exactly cancels out and you're left with no vacuum energy at all, and a perfectly flat universe. I guess this has become less of a concern since we discovered that the universe is NOT perfectly flat, but filled with a (MUCH smaller, like 10200 times smaller) amount of vacuum energy after all, which we call Dark Energy. Perfect symmetry doesn't do so great a job of explaining a slight asymmetry.

Anyways, the video was fun and I think you did a really good job especially of explaining to people what physicists, as opposed to everyday language, mean when we talk about a symmetry. If you have time, it'd be cool to follow up with a video explaining discrete vs. continuous symmetries. Get the sharpie out again and draw a circle :)

If you care to come check out and rate my videos, they're the A Capella Science ones. Have a lovely day!

-Tim

Bookmark and Share

Larry Boman wrote on Apr. 26, 2017 @ 11:44 GMT
The yellow media is blowing their importance out of proportion as they did with numerous times before. Have any of the commenters had conversations with today's college kids? Do they buy dissertation? I have worked with many current undergraduates and felt out smarted repeatedly.

Bookmark and Share

sherapova smith wrote on Dec. 10, 2017 @ 16:50 GMT
At the same time, their high degree of effectiveness makes print have one of the best returns on investment in the marketing field. fifty five prints

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.