Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Jonathan Dickau: on 9/25/14 at 23:57pm UTC, wrote I am hoping you will have time to rate and comment on my video.. Can the...

Erica Watson: on 9/19/14 at 21:07pm UTC, wrote Hello Dr. Kempf! What an exciting thing you've done! My favorite part of...

Jonathan Dickau: on 9/15/14 at 3:33am UTC, wrote Whoops... I meant; I'll have to be contacting Dr. Kempf. Thanks again, ...

Jonathan Dickau: on 9/15/14 at 3:15am UTC, wrote Excellent! I really like the idea that's being explored here, and I will...

Shlomo Dunyo: on 9/12/14 at 22:37pm UTC, wrote Thanks for your review Alexander. I'll do that. I think Dr. Achim...

Alexander Roth: on 9/12/14 at 21:50pm UTC, wrote Dear Mr. Yao Dunyo, You have in interesting video with an interesting...

Shlomo Dunyo: on 8/4/14 at 5:29am UTC, wrote Hi there! Here are two papers related to the video. ...

Florin Moldoveanu: on 7/30/14 at 20:25pm UTC, wrote This is fascinating. Is there a paper available on the topic presented in...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Dufourny: "I am going to tell you an important thing about the aethers. I thought that..." in Alternative Models of...

Joe Fisher: "Jason, I post sensible comments. I do not provide audio files. Joe..." in First Things First: The...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

halim sutarmaja: "dewapoker hadir untuk semua pecinta game poker dengan teknologi terbaru dan..." in New Nuclear "Magic...

Jason Wolfe: "Hi Georgina, Steve, What is reality? The humorous answer, almost at the..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Jason Wolfe: "As for religious fundamentalists, I would rather deal with them, then with..." in More on agency from the...

Jason Wolfe: "The best we can do with the environment is to plant more trees and..." in More on agency from the...

gmail login: "Thanks a lot for the post. It has helped me get some nice ideas. I hope I..." in Bonus Koan: A Lake of...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
November 19, 2019

CATEGORY: Show Me the Physics! Video Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: Mysteries of the Universe | Calculating Shape from Sound | by Shlomo Yao Dunyo [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Shlomo Yao Dunyo wrote on Jul. 29, 2014 @ 20:48 GMT
Video Image

Video URL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL7zib_oY8o

Video Description

In an attempt to unravel the mysteries of the universe by bridging the gap between General Relativity and Quantum Theory, a Mathematical Physicist along with his team are studying vases of flowers and the sounds that they make. That's only the starting point for something bigger. Can the same mathematical machinery that was used to calculate the shape of an object from its sounds, be applied to calculate the curvature of space and time?

Video Creator Bio

I'm an aspiring filmmaker who is incredibly passionate about education, specifically higher education and how it's going to evolve over time. I've spent the last few months interviewing students and professors, trying to find out what they're working on. I came across Dr. Achim Kempf's profile. After chatting with him for a few minutes and learning about his work in the field of Mathematical Physics, I was completely blown away.

Bookmark and Share

Florin Moldoveanu wrote on Jul. 30, 2014 @ 20:25 GMT
This is fascinating. Is there a paper available on the topic presented in the video?

Bookmark and Share

Shlomo Yao Dunyo replied on Aug. 4, 2014 @ 05:29 GMT
Hi there!

Here are two papers related to the video.

http://journals.aps.org/prl/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.110.1213

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1302.3680v2.pdf

Thanks for your comment! Let me know any further thoughts you might have :)

Shlomo

Bookmark and Share

Alexander Roth wrote on Sep. 12, 2014 @ 21:50 GMT
Dear Mr. Yao Dunyo,

You have in interesting video with an interesting concept --- that of unifying the equations that describe our universe, relativity, quantum mechanics together with some of the more mundane challenges e.g. calculating shapes from the sounds objects make. My main comment would be that the treatment was very general and a little more specificity would have helped.

Wishing you best of luck in the competition. Should you have the opportunity, I'd greatly appreciate your review of my entry (Special Rel.....)

Best,

Alexander Roth

Bookmark and Share

Shlomo Yao Dunyo replied on Sep. 12, 2014 @ 22:37 GMT
Thanks for your review Alexander. I'll do that.

I think Dr. Achim refrained from getting too specific so as to appeal to a more general audience. But I see your point. He's written some papers on the topic, which go into enough detail.

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Sep. 15, 2014 @ 03:15 GMT
Excellent!

I really like the idea that's being explored here, and I will have to read the papers you referenced for Florin above, so I can get all the details. This is a fascinating line of research, and I imagine there will be some powerful insights that emerge from exploring the waveform/shape relation.

As it turns out; this relates to my video, because that relation is one of the angles I am exploring in my research into the Mandelbrot Set as an object of relevance to Physics. Each 'bulb' projecting off the main body of the Set is like a resonating chamber of a specific frequency, so that the Mandelbrot Set as a whole serves as a way to sort any vibrations emanating from the zero point into bins.

I imagine I will be contacting Dr. Achim for some further discussion about this, once I read the published papers. Thanks Shlomo for making us aware of this important work.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau replied on Sep. 15, 2014 @ 03:33 GMT
Whoops...

I meant; I'll have to be contacting Dr. Kempf.

Thanks again,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Erica Watson wrote on Sep. 19, 2014 @ 21:07 GMT
Hello Dr. Kempf!

What an exciting thing you've done! My favorite part of studying math and physics is undoubtedly discovering bridges between concepts, and as I began to piece together where you were going with your work with the vases, I couldn't help but grin ear to ear and clap my hands in delight! Wonderful stuff, and inspiring too!

I loved the way you talked about it in such easy to grasp terms, and with such contagious enthusiasm. Excellent job!

My dear friend James Walsh and I also created a video, if you'd like to check it out. It's called Never Bored, and we too are trying to get people excited about the study of physics. We very much welcome you to rate the video and enter the conversation on our page.

Thanks again for sharing your work! I hope we'll all be hearing more from you and your team.

~Erica

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Sep. 25, 2014 @ 23:57 GMT
I am hoping you will have time to rate and comment on my video..

Can the Mandelbrot Set help us understand the Cosmos?

Regards,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.