Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Marc Séguin: on 9/12/14 at 21:02pm UTC, wrote Schatzie, Nice video about the magic of exponential growth! I had watched...

Tejinder Singh: on 9/6/14 at 21:54pm UTC, wrote Hi. I think this is really nicely done, and surely gets the basic idea of...

Schatzie Dudee: on 7/17/14 at 21:07pm UTC, wrote Video Image Video URL ...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Jason Wolfe: "I wonder why there is no interpretation of QM that says the wave function..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Georgina Woodward: "Re.macroscopic objectivity: How an outcome is to be called, the method..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Jason Wolfe: "Joe Fisher, I'm not sure reality is sensible. But the NDE/ghost stuff is..." in First Things First: The...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Jahangir kt: "A great website with interesting and unique material what else would you..." in Our Place in the...

Steve Dufourny: "I am going to tell you an important thing about the aethers. I thought that..." in Alternative Models of...

halim sutarmaja: "dewapoker hadir untuk semua pecinta game poker dengan teknologi terbaru dan..." in New Nuclear "Magic...

Jason Wolfe: "As for religious fundamentalists, I would rather deal with them, then with..." in More on agency from the...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
November 20, 2019

CATEGORY: Show Me the Physics! Video Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: Cosmic Inflation & Doubling with Pinto Beans by Schatzie Dudee [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Schatzie Dudee wrote on Jul. 17, 2014 @ 21:07 GMT
Video Image

Video URL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi-nNj73KIw

Video Description

While the Big Bang Theory explains quite a lot about the potential beginnings of our universe, the theory of cosmic inflation may be the next step forward in our understanding of where and how everything came to "be." Cosmic inflation postulates that a tiny speck of dense matter "doubled" in size roughly 260 times and created everything in our observable universe. Indeed, the power of doubling is quite profound. This short video is a condensed version of a thought experiment I did for my kids which helped them visualize and understand (very) basic concepts behind the idea of cosmic inflation using pinto beans and my son's hockey practice board. I also showed them how this theory could solve The Flatness Problem and The Horizon Problem as explained very succinctly in Max Tegmark's book, "Our Mathematical Universe." If we have sufficient time, we hope to make video shorts about those 2 problems being solved by cosmic inflation.

Video Creator Bio

Schatzie Dudee is a mom to four kids, ages 12-18 years old. She is an avid science and physics enthusiast who tries very hard to engage her children in all the magnificence of our natural world. She has been called a "citizen scientist," which is one of the nicest things anyone has ever said about her

Bookmark and Share

Member Tejinder Pal Singh wrote on Sep. 6, 2014 @ 21:54 GMT
Hi. I think this is really nicely done, and surely gets the basic idea of inflation across.

Best wishes,

Tejinder

Bookmark and Share

Member Marc Séguin wrote on Sep. 12, 2014 @ 21:02 GMT
Schatzie,

Nice video about the magic of exponential growth! I had watched it a while ago, but just now realized that I didn't get to rate it: I have now done so, and I hope you soon get the 10 votes needed to have a chance to be considered for the finals.

I also enjoyed your "White Hole" video... I had commented on it and rated it a week ago.

I have entered 3 videos in this contest, a series called "This Is Physics", and the process of getting them to be noticed and rated has been hard... I don't know if you had a chance to look at them, but if you did, the third video, "Physics Into Darkness", is still in need of community votes, so if you could leave a rating, it would be very appreciated! Part 3 has a bit about the Big Bang and the expansion of the Universe, so you may find it particularly interesting. (It also features Einstein riding on a meter stick, an "iceberg of mystery", and a slot machine that creates universes!!!) This is the direct link:

Physics Into Darkness

Thank you, and good luck in the contest!

Marc

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.