Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Turil Cronburg: on 9/12/14 at 12:22pm UTC, wrote Thanks, Jonathan. :-) And I'll try to check out your video. The big video...

Jonathan Dickau: on 9/11/14 at 16:36pm UTC, wrote You have it right Turil, Sharing the joy of some bit of knowledge that is...

Turil Cronburg: on 9/11/14 at 14:20pm UTC, wrote Heh. You don't need courage to do things that are normal, that aren't at...

Jonathan Dickau: on 9/11/14 at 2:05am UTC, wrote Yes I enjoyed it Turil, I must commend you for having the courage to put...

Turil Cronburg: on 7/3/14 at 15:46pm UTC, wrote Video Image Video URL http://youtu.be/3TiiLx22slE ...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Lorraine Ford: "Steve, Papering over the cracks [1] in physics' view of the world does no..." in More on agency from the...

Lorraine Ford: "How physics sees climate change: laws of nature caused climate..." in More on agency from the...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Anonymous: "The confrontation between different viewpoints is always an interesting..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

emma jio: "in your printer have any issues like printing issues or anything which..." in New Nuclear "Magic...

Steve Dufourny: "I must insist on a global crisis inside the sciences Community. It is due..." in Alternative Models of...

Georgina Woodward: "Steve, first to accept the quantum superposition, it is necessary to accept..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Georgina Woodward: "I accept that particles vibrate but have not expressed an opinion on..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
November 12, 2019

CATEGORY: Show Me the Physics! Video Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: Physics for Philosophers, and maybe Fish by Turil Sweden Cronburg [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Turil Sweden Cronburg wrote on Jul. 3, 2014 @ 15:46 GMT
Video Image

Video URL

http://youtu.be/3TiiLx22slE

Video Description

Discover how you can enjoy being the physicist that you already are even more! If you’ve ever felt left out of physics discussions, this video is for you. Learn how physics can be far more fun and meaningful than you might have been taught. Also, enjoy some rocks and trees. If you want to explore the ways we can categorize anything, check out “Pascal's Triangle” on your favorite math, encyclopedia, or search website! (And apologies for the audio being too quiet in parts and then too loud in other parts. The mic on my camera is very sensitive, I guess.)

Video Creator Bio

Turil Cronburg is a teacher, artist, and philosopher focusing on exploring and sharing the patterns of development in life, as a way to support high quality decision-making at all levels. She is currently looking to create a global non-profit organization that supports groups of forward-thinking humans in starting community resource exchanges that serve as hubs freely connecting individuals with the diverse elements they need to achieve their dreams. She hopes to start out with a single life~work space for her and her collaborators and family somewhere in New England, and grow exponentially from there into the universe!

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Sep. 11, 2014 @ 02:05 GMT
Yes I enjoyed it Turil,

I must commend you for having the courage to put yourself in front of a camera, and explain your views of the world. It was fun to have this window into your world, and to share in your delight of the natural environment and the lessons we can all learn from observing nature. That is indeed where the sciences got their start, thought now people equate Science with a laboratory. Go figure.

I wish you luck and hope you find time to see my video too.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Turil Sweden Cronburg replied on Sep. 11, 2014 @ 14:20 GMT
Heh. You don't need courage to do things that are normal, that aren't at all scary! :-) I'm a teacher. So teaching is what I am totally comfortable doing. No bravery involved at all. Just me being me.

And yeah, I find it frustrating that most scientists seem to be terrible at teaching science, and even worse at inspiring those who aren't scientists to be interested in science. This contest really exemplifies the lack of scientific approaches to teaching science, given all the videos that are exceedingly boring, overly technical, trying too hard to be "cool", or just not at all useful in addressing the real topics that most people care about. To be a good teacher, you have to really understand what your students feel and think and want to understand. Just knowing what you're talking about doesn't really do the trick. Teaching is all about compassion and sharing the joy of some really useful bit of information, such as the fact that all of us are physicists, because we have complex brains that can plot probabilities better than most fancy computers! :-)

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau replied on Sep. 11, 2014 @ 16:36 GMT
You have it right Turil,

Sharing the joy of some bit of knowledge that is helpful and wonderful is what it is all about. I think that teaching a subject like Science well demands that you actually like doing Science, or figuring things out scientifically - and sharing the wonder of that. Being able to figure things out, and knowing that even developing a rudimentary understanding of nature is doing Physics, allows young people to latch on to a love for the sciences at an early age. Too often; it is made exclusive, or overly technical, so that young people who would be scientists never catch the Science bug. Let's hope some of them find you instead.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Turil Sweden Cronburg wrote on Sep. 12, 2014 @ 12:22 GMT
Thanks, Jonathan. :-) And I'll try to check out your video. The big video list on this site likes to crash my browsers, so I haven't been able to look at a lot of them. I can see them on YouTube usually. If you tell me the name of your video, I'll check it out!

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.