Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Brendan Foster: on 8/9/14 at 3:42am UTC, wrote Big news in the video contest -- thanks to a late surge in entries...

Alan Lowey: on 6/10/14 at 6:19am UTC, wrote Hi Brendan, I think it's an excellent choice for a new contest. Science...

Anonymous: on 6/8/14 at 14:50pm UTC, wrote As I have thoughtfully pointed out in my essay REALITY, ONCE, reality is...

Brendan Foster: on 5/9/14 at 16:19pm UTC, wrote Part of our goal at FQXi is to get people talking and wondering about the...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Georgina Woodward: ""The motion of the solar system, and the orientation of the plane of the..." in Why Time Might Not Be an...

Jim Snowdon: "On the permanently dark side of the Earth, the stars would appear to stay..." in The Nature of Time

Georgina Woodward: "Hi Jorma, some thoughts; You mention mutual EM connection. I think you..." in Why Time Might Not Be an...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

akash hasan: "Some students have an interest in researching and space exploration. I..." in Announcing Physics of the...

Michael Jordan: "Excellent site. Plenty of helpful information here. I am sending it to some..." in Review of "Foundations of...

Anonymous: "Excellent site. Plenty of helpful information here. I am sending it to some..." in Constructing a Theory of...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

Dissolving Quantum Paradoxes
The impossibility of building a perfect clock could help explain away microscale weirdness.

FQXi BLOGS
May 26, 2019

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: Show Me the Physics! [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator Brendan Foster wrote on May. 9, 2014 @ 16:19 GMT
Video idea 1: Debunk your favorite physics myth
Part of our goal at FQXi is to get people talking and wondering about the fascinating and confusing foundational physics research we support. We also want to be a point of connection between the researchers and teachers and everyone else who has an interest in physics.

That's why we are excited to announce our new VIDEO contest Show Me the Physics!

FQXi wants to see your best videos that highlight how fun and stimulating physics can be.This contest aims to get people around the world excited about studying physics, with the hope that some of them go on to make their own physics discoveries. This Contest will show people (and/or pets) exploring and learning about physics phenomena in wild, innovative, and fun ways.

Video topics and content can cover everything from unsolved physics mysteries, interviews with physicists, fictional tales (that use CORRECT physics), and even fuzzy animals doing cute things that Show Us the Physics!

Video idea 2: Explain your favorite equation
We welcome entries from everyone -- no experience required, all experience allowed. You can record using professional equipment, amateur camcorders, smartphones, tablets, or whatever. The main idea is that learning physics, doing physics -- and making videos about the experience -- is fun. We will judge entries based on the quality of physics content and their entertainment value, with less focus on the technical quality of the footage.

Entry is easy -- you make a video, post it on YouTube (with the hashtag #FQXiVideoContest2014), then fill out the application form. (Entrants under the age of 18 must be represented by an adult parent, guardian, or teacher.)

Video idea 3: Demo your favorite experiment
To stimulate the discussion, we will award prizes up to $10,000, including a 'Young Scientists' prize for entrants under 18--which includes a Skype chat with FQXi directors and foundational physicists Max Tegmark and Anthony Aguirre.

You can find our full rules here. Accepting entries until August 8, so you have some time to storyboard and round up your crew, or to charge up your iphone. Check the contest page for early entries now, and check back regularly for new entries.

Bookmark and Share
this post has been edited by the forum administrator

report post as inappropriate

Anonymous wrote on Jun. 8, 2014 @ 14:50 GMT
As I have thoughtfully pointed out in my essay REALITY, ONCE, reality is unique. Videotaping any incident will always be unique. Your so-called assessment of what best demonstrates a “law-of-physics” is not unique. For instance, every real thing has a surface and each surface has an attached sub-surface. Obviously, all surfaces must travel at the same constant speed, and each attached sub-surface must travel at an inconsistent speed that is lower than the constant speed attained by each surface. This fully explains how and why the real Universe appears and performs as it does.

Reality is not mysterious. I do not see how sending in a videotape of some ignorant scientist admitting to being mystified by some abstract “law” of abstract “physics” can qualify for a $10,000 prize.

Bookmark and Share

Alan Lowey wrote on Jun. 10, 2014 @ 06:19 GMT
Hi Brendan,

I think it's an excellent choice for a new contest. Science needs a bit more fun in it nowadays. I'll hopefully be sending my entry in featuring my pet Jack Russell. She's much more of a star than I am..

Alan

Bookmark and Share

FQXi Administrator Brendan Foster wrote on Aug. 9, 2014 @ 03:42 GMT
Big news in the video contest -- thanks to a late surge in entries and expressed interest in extending the contest, we are extending the window for entries two more weeks, till Friday 22 August [11:59 PM ET].

We already have a lot of great entries, including bunches submitted today, which will appear on our site over the next few days---and then hopefully also over the next couple weeks. Please check them out here.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.