Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Margriet O'Regan: on 6/4/14 at 7:43am UTC, wrote Bravo Terence !! All I can say is 'ditto' most of the above comments!!! ...

Terence Thorne: on 6/2/14 at 4:11am UTC, wrote Neil, I am encouraged by the number of contributors to this forum who...

Terence Thorne: on 6/2/14 at 3:57am UTC, wrote Thanks again, Peter. Terence

Neil Bates: on 6/2/14 at 0:24am UTC, wrote Terence, it is sad that the power of big money is making much of your...

James Hoover: on 6/1/14 at 18:06pm UTC, wrote Terence, Having had rating problems with my Firefox browser and with some...

Peter Jackson: on 5/30/14 at 18:59pm UTC, wrote Terence, I'm glad you liked my humour (2nd May) and I was serious about...

Terence Thorne: on 5/30/14 at 0:08am UTC, wrote Hi Ross, Thank you for you thoughtful critique of my essay. I appreciate...

Ross Cevenst: on 5/28/14 at 11:07am UTC, wrote Hi Terence, I enjoy it whenever I see a strong argument a bit of a sense...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Robert McEachern: "They are proud, because they have solved some problems, which are..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Robert McEachern: "Eckard, I do have an interest in the history, but not as much as I used..." in First Things First: The...

Georgina Woodward: "The Schrodinger's cat thought experiment presents 3 causally linked state..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Roger Granet: "Well put! Physics is hard, but biochemistry (my area), other sciences..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Georgina Woodward: "BTW The neck scarves are a promotional souvenir given out at non sports..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "lol Zeeya it is well thought this algorythm selective when names are put in..." in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

Steve Dufourny: "is it just due to a problem when we utilise names of persons?" in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 18, 2019

CATEGORY: How Should Humanity Steer the Future? Essay Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: Global Warming is Causing Hell to Freeze Over: The subsumption of empirical science and religion under corporate science in an epistemic paradigm shift. by Terence Thorne [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Terence Thorne wrote on Apr. 25, 2014 @ 13:20 GMT
Essay Abstract

It is well documented that there are certain corporate, political and religious interests whose mission is to weaken part or all of science. For the foreseeable future, these powerful interests will continue their aggressive and well-funded campaigns to weaken science. This satirical essay answers the question, "What if what we are witnessing is the birth of a new epistemology – corporate science?" Corporate science will be the natural morphing of American pragmatism and American capitalism. Looking at an early adopter of corporate epistemology, the NeoGeoTheoThermal Theory Society, we get a glimpse of the future of science. In the future we can look to corporate science to lead the way in profitable scientific advancement. Unfettered by the scientific method, a credible peer review system, and the need to provide actual evidence for its theories, corporate science will surely be as profitable in the future as it is has been in the past.

Author Bio

Terence W. Thorne holds an MA in Philosophy of Language from the University of Victoria.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Tihamer T. Toth-Fejel wrote on Apr. 27, 2014 @ 12:07 GMT
Dear Terence,

You *do* realize that the NeoGeoTheoThermal Theory Society is a parody religion, don't you? It is even listed as one at http://search.thunderstone.com/texis/websearch19/?c=Society_
and_Culture+Religion+Humor+Parody_Religions

Once you realize that, it's falling onto the floor funny (my stomach still hurts from laughing so hard).

If you are serious about your claims about "corporate science", you might consider Stalin's attempts to force Lysenkoism onto the Soviet Union, thereby keeping his country from benefiting from the advances in genetics for a generation.

In summary, you are correct that some people simply don't like reality as it is, and will do anything to ignore that reality. But the rest of the world will move on, and those live in a fantasy will be left behind (sometimes with fatal consequences).

If it helps, think of it as evolution in action.

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Terence Thorne replied on Apr. 27, 2014 @ 20:23 GMT
Dear Tihamer,

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased to see that someone gets the humour and, more importantly, the point of my satirical essay.

Yes, I do know that my creation, TheNeoGeoTheoThermalTheorySociety.com is a satirical website. I mention in the abstract that my whole essay is satirical. Furthermore, in the essay itself, I refer to "the satirical website, TheNeoGeoTheoThermalTheorySociety.com."

I hope you are correct that "those who don't like reality as it is" will be left behind by reason and progress. However, I still think we must be ever vigilant of the danger to all of us posed by the very real and very powerful corporate, religious and political forces that seek to return us to pre-enlightenment epistemology.

BTW, your example of Lysenkoism is spot on. Thank you for the reference.

Terence

Bookmark and Share

murat Asgatovich gaisin wrote on Apr. 28, 2014 @ 05:10 GMT
Dear Terence W. Thorne,

The corruption of science will lead to the destruction of science.

You have valid criticism. Therefore highly appreciated your article. I argue in my article, that modern physics is closed to criticism.

Regards,

Murat Asgatovich Gaisin

Bookmark and Share

Author Terence Thorne replied on May. 3, 2014 @ 07:05 GMT
Dear Murat Asgatovich Gaisin,

Thank you for reading my essay and for your positive comments.

Regards,

Terence

Bookmark and Share

Margarita Iudin wrote on Apr. 28, 2014 @ 22:11 GMT
Hello Terence,

I truly appreciate the topic your chose for your satire.

I think most people who called themselves scientists are no scientists at all. They are too much materialists, too much conformists. Conformist could never become a scientist. Conformists do not try to change the existing order of things and adopt everything the majority chose to fancy. There is nothing to do...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Terence Thorne replied on May. 3, 2014 @ 07:02 GMT
Dear Margarita,

Thank you for your thoughtful comment, especially for your insight into how nonconformity is integral to science.

Regards,

Terence

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous wrote on Apr. 29, 2014 @ 01:51 GMT
Dear Terence,

The NeoGeoTheoThermal Theory Society is a parody religion, and your abstract says that your essay is satirical, but the problem with such essays is that the satire must be relatively obvious. Often, your statements were so opaque that they weren't funny, and they weren't even wrong.

If you are serious about your claims about the dangers of "corporate science", then you...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Terence Thorne replied on May. 3, 2014 @ 07:07 GMT
Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for reading my essay and for your thoughtful comments.

Regards,

Terence

Bookmark and Share

James Dunn wrote on Apr. 29, 2014 @ 16:00 GMT
The sole purpose of Science is to study God's Works and remove ALL influence of mankind.

ALL Religions study the works of man, and many if not most denounce the works of God.

Example: First page of Bible, Genesis, all the heavens and Earth were created in 6 days. Many thousands have studied God's Works and determined this to be false. Yet religions choose to trust the writings of...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Terence Thorne replied on May. 3, 2014 @ 07:11 GMT
Dear James Dunn,

Thank you for reading my essay.

Your comments have given me a lot to think about.

Regards.

Terence

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on May. 2, 2014 @ 20:35 GMT
Terence,

Brilliant Essay! I think it's great idea and you should be given a Nobel Inc. prize. If anything is going to get us out of the theoretical rut we're in it's new imaginative thinking like that. I saw no downsides in your assessment.

We've had this major problem since the Planck time ran out (it was far too short anyway) and old professors dying off started failing as the...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Terence Thorne replied on May. 3, 2014 @ 07:26 GMT
Dear Peter,

Your response to my essay is hilarious. I really appreciate the time and effort you have taken.

Thank you.

Terence

Bookmark and Share

Lawrence B Crowell wrote on May. 4, 2014 @ 17:53 GMT
Terrence,

A touch of humor does work here. In reality the joke is about as funny as chocolate covered blasting caps; it sounds funny at first but … . Levity does though have a way taking one above the angst of it all. The freezing over of hell might just be a good idea, for I suppose that is about all we can expect, while the true Americans will be raptured into heaven.

LC

Bookmark and Share

Author Terence Thorne replied on May. 5, 2014 @ 17:53 GMT
Dear Lawrence,

Thank you for reading my essay. I like your "as funny as chocolate covered blasting caps" analogy.

Best regards.

Terence

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on May. 5, 2014 @ 16:19 GMT
Dear Mr. Thome,

Your essay provided me with a some deep insights I did not expect. I do hope that it does well in the competition.

Regards,

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share

Author Terence Thorne wrote on May. 5, 2014 @ 17:55 GMT
Dear Joe,

Thank you for reading my essay and for your kind words.

Best regards.

Terence

Bookmark and Share

George Gantz wrote on May. 8, 2014 @ 00:09 GMT
Terence -

Thanks for the unique approach. I've set a goal of reading all the essays and yours was a delightful interlude in what I have to admit is mighty boring stuff. On the serious side, it is clear that science is having a credibility problem. A recent AP/GfK poll (noted in The Week, May 2) reported American's growing skepticism of science: 51% doubt the Big Bang, 42% doubt...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Terence Thorne wrote on May. 8, 2014 @ 08:16 GMT
Dear George,

Well said. I think you are right. There are many factors contributing to the situation. Thank you for reading my essay, and I applaud your dedication to reading them all.

Best regards.

Terence

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous wrote on May. 12, 2014 @ 03:35 GMT
Hi Terence,

I enjoyed your essay both as a satire and as an essay making a very serious point about the power of corporate science.

The world according to monsanto Documentary.

Good luck, Georgina

Bookmark and Share

Author Terence Thorne replied on May. 13, 2014 @ 05:43 GMT
Hi Georgina,

Thank you for your kind comments and for reading my essay.

I will definitely check out the documentary.

Good luck to you, too.

Terence

Bookmark and Share

Michael muteru wrote on May. 16, 2014 @ 14:00 GMT
hi Terence

very articulate nice work,informative.i talk about closed societies,beliefs and what may befall them if they continue that way in my essay LIVING IN THE SHADOWS OF THE SUN: REALITIES, PERILS ESCAPADES MAN, PLANET AND KARDASHEV SCALE.MAKING THE GREAT TRANSITION by Michael muteru weblink http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2101 .kindly take your time to read/review it.thanks all the best

Bookmark and Share

Author Terence Thorne wrote on May. 17, 2014 @ 07:07 GMT
Thank you, Michael, for your kind comments.

Your essay has an intriguing title.

Regards,

Terence

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover wrote on May. 22, 2014 @ 20:39 GMT
Terence,

As comedians say, "Irony is ironic." Your points should be published in all media sources to emphasize the toxic effect of corporate culture.

My essay too speaks of the corruption of science and, in effect, the dominance of corporations in our society. I "look beyond" to break the yoke of orthodoxy and progress beyond our Earthly sphere and "within" to utilize unused brain capacity.

I would like to hear your thoughts on my message as well.

Jim

Bookmark and Share

Author Terence Thorne replied on May. 23, 2014 @ 08:17 GMT
Jim,

I'm glad you appreciated my essay.

Thank you for your encouraging comment.

Terence

Bookmark and Share

James Lee Hoover replied on Jun. 1, 2014 @ 18:06 GMT
Terence,

Having had rating problems with my Firefox browser and with some 4 days remaining, I am revisiting essays I've read to see if rated. I find that I rated yours on 5/22.

Would like to see your thoughts on mine: http://www.fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/2008

Jim

Bookmark and Share

Israel Perez wrote on May. 25, 2014 @ 02:49 GMT
Dear Terence

I just read your essay, which is short and easy to read. In my view science has grown as a desire to oppose mysticism and fanaticism. So, indeed, science is well organized and its purpose is to generate knowledge.

I never thought that people believe that hell can freeze by just extracting the fuel. I'm learning new stuff in this contest!

I'll be glad if you could take a look at my essay and leave some comments. In my work I discuss some of the main players that can steer the future of humanity.

Best Regards

Israel

Bookmark and Share

Author Terence Thorne replied on May. 26, 2014 @ 04:44 GMT
Dear Israel,

Thank you for reading my essay and for your interesting comment.

Best Regards,

Terence

Bookmark and Share

Don Limuti wrote on May. 26, 2014 @ 03:59 GMT
Hi Terence,

I am still laughing. Your satire is devastating.

I agree completely that any theory that promises to prevent a zombie apocalypse is the way to steer humanity into the future. I think Lawrence recommended funny chocolate covered blasting caps. Will they work on corporate Zombies?

Don Limuti

Bookmark and Share

Author Terence Thorne replied on May. 26, 2014 @ 04:52 GMT
Dear Limuti,

I am pleased that you found my essay so funny and effective.

Thank you for your entertaining comment.

Terence.

Bookmark and Share

Ross Cevenst wrote on May. 28, 2014 @ 11:07 GMT
Hi Terence,

I enjoy it whenever I see a strong argument a bit of a sense of humour combined. I disagree with some others - I think it works well and I don't think it was too subtle at all, and think you could milk some even greater humour out this idea by being even more subtle. In a way your style in parts of the essay reminded me a little of A Modest Proposal (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_modest_proposal).

Your point is well taken and an in itself it makes me a little sad. It's in no-one's interests, inluding the corporate world, to allow ourselves to become detached from reality. So I hope we don't go further walking down this path. I think sensible people in religions AND corporations still believe that too, but it only takes a few misguided people to attack and ruin science for everybody. I agree with George in that science must also address its own problems. At the same time, we are so indebted to science for the precious gift of modern health and education that its deeply saddening to see that gift taken for granted because it is some way confronting to listen to.

Thanks for a great essay in any case. I'd love to hear your thoughts on my own entry. It's a little different also in that it conveys serious ideas using elements of science fiction, but I'll hope you'll like it and rate it all the same! I think ratings are closed in the next few days so my fingers are crossed that'll you'll have the time. Good luck!

Ross

Bookmark and Share

Author Terence Thorne replied on May. 30, 2014 @ 00:08 GMT
Hi Ross,

Thank you for you thoughtful critique of my essay. I appreciate your point about people taking the fruits of science for granted. Thanks for the insight.

Good luck in the contest.

Regards,

Terence

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on May. 30, 2014 @ 18:59 GMT
Terence,

I'm glad you liked my humour (2nd May) and I was serious about the high originality value and moot points so have returned help your score. I'm not sure if you've read mine (I'm a bit swamped with posts) but hope you do and like it.

Well done and thanks.

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Author Terence Thorne replied on Jun. 2, 2014 @ 03:57 GMT
Thanks again, Peter.

Terence

Bookmark and Share

Neil Bates wrote on Jun. 2, 2014 @ 00:24 GMT
Terence, it is sad that the power of big money is making much of your sarcastic vision come true, especially in the USA. There is value in demarcating how not to steer (as for example in satire) as a way to warn us away from such dystopian results. We need genuine independent research now more than ever, I hope such a social order can be attained because it will be very difficult to steer the future in any way other than just as servants of the top 0.1 percent if we do not.

Bookmark and Share

Author Terence Thorne replied on Jun. 2, 2014 @ 04:11 GMT
Neil,

I am encouraged by the number of contributors to this forum who value the integrity and independence of science. Thank you for your comment.

Regards

Terry

Bookmark and Share

Margriet Anne O'Regan wrote on Jun. 4, 2014 @ 07:43 GMT
Bravo Terence !!

All I can say is 'ditto' most of the above comments!!!

Nothing like a bit of comic relief to help get things in perspective.

And yes I'd love it if you read & rate my essay none other than that of a fellow Ozzie, which contribution stands second in the 'submissions' line up. And if you like novelty any where near as much as you like humour, you're in for a treat !!!!! Hehe !!

Cheers

Margriet Anne O'Regan

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.