Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Luca Valeri: on 5/25/14 at 5:26am UTC, wrote Martin, inputting randomness to slow change is a really novel idea. Earns...

Peter Jackson: on 5/6/14 at 12:50pm UTC, wrote Martin, It's a shame the essay was so short. I agree that randomness is a...

Joe Fisher: on 5/2/14 at 15:41pm UTC, wrote Dear Mr. Sahlen, Your abstractions filled essay was brief and to the...

James Dunn: on 4/30/14 at 11:10am UTC, wrote Hi Martin, I agree with you. I would add that strategic use of randomness...

Margarita Iudin: on 4/28/14 at 22:43pm UTC, wrote Hello Martin, I like the shortness of your essay and your vocabulary...

Stuart Marongwe: on 4/26/14 at 16:49pm UTC, wrote Dear Martin Interesting. In other ways you are saying there is order in...

Martin Sahlen: on 4/24/14 at 18:14pm UTC, wrote Essay Abstract I propose that judicious use of randomness may...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Robert McEachern: "Superpostions are irrelevant to any description of a thing "as it is"; they..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "Be sure Joe ,you are not realist you know,you told us things that nobody..." in First Things First: The...

Steve Dufourny: "Joe, study a Little bit the evolution of this Earth,we have bones analysed..." in First Things First: The...

Georgina Woodward: "What exists unobserved is relevant to QM. Whether it is modeled..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "this second law is so important,my theory of spherisation and these quantum..." in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

Steve Dufourny: "I must explain what is the real meaning of Spherisation in my theory.It is..." in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

Steve Dufourny: "lol no indeed it is not a lot,like I said I liked your general ideas.I have..." in The Demon in the Machine...

Steve Agnew: "There are three assumptions...is that a lot? The aether particle mass, the..." in The Demon in the Machine...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 16, 2019

CATEGORY: How Should Humanity Steer the Future? Essay Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: How Should Humanity Steer the Future? Randomly. by Martin Sahlen [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Martin Sahlen wrote on Apr. 24, 2014 @ 18:14 GMT
Essay Abstract

I propose that judicious use of randomness may provide an important basic tool for managing systems in the future.

Author Bio

Researcher in cosmology.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Stuart Marongwe wrote on Apr. 26, 2014 @ 16:49 GMT
Dear Martin

Interesting. In other ways you are saying there is order in the apparent chaos. pattern recognition is the key to solving many puzzels including crime.So will you advocate the use of computer algorithyms to solve puzzels? I also discuss data and information processing systems in my essay as being helpful in steering the future of humanity. I invite you to read it and give an opinion.

Regards

Stuart

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Margarita Iudin wrote on Apr. 28, 2014 @ 22:43 GMT
Hello Martin,

I like the shortness of your essay and your vocabulary (information networks, randomness, transition).

I think you may not be all that right; or it might be that you and I mean different things while thinking about randomness.

I suggest you will read my essay. It is about the imagining and analogous imagining, also about how people think. In a case, you have new ideas about development (transitions) of humanity, I am interested to hear from you.

You may look at my entry about imagining the future. I hope my essay will encourage you to learn more about ways of knowing and to apply analogous imagining in your field of interests.

Please disregard any typo mistakes you may encounter.

Warm regards,

Margarita Iudin

Bookmark and Share

James Dunn wrote on Apr. 30, 2014 @ 11:10 GMT
Hi Martin,

I agree with you. I would add that strategic use of randomness from historical successes can drive local optimizations. While general randomness can help find rogue useful relationships.

Controlling "Hunting" is commonly used in control systems to push slightly out of hysteresis so that active control can find potentially better set-points without making large system changes.

The natural oscillations of a system introduces a type of randomness so the controller does not get stuck in a local minima/maxima.

This is partly the function of FQXi as I see it. They fund research that would otherwise not get funding due to the non-mainstream subject matter. FQXi is detecting natural system oscillations and injecting energy in the form of funding to create slightly exaggerated hunting. The increased exposure of non-mainstream research provides a pushing of what is considered mainstream to some new set-point. Incrementally small, but hopefully in a more optimal direction.

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on May. 2, 2014 @ 15:41 GMT
Dear Mr. Sahlen,

Your abstractions filled essay was brief and to the point. I hope you do not mind my brief comment.

Reality is unique, once. Unique is not random. Unique cannot be organized.

Regards,

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on May. 6, 2014 @ 12:50 GMT
Martin,

It's a shame the essay was so short. I agree that randomness is a far more important phenomena than we've realises, and that different gauge 'components are entirely unaware of others (including us to a great extent).

I believe I show the power of randomness in my essay, describable as 'entanglement' in a classical derivation of QM.

Well written, short but very 'sweet'.

Best wishes

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Luca Valeri wrote on May. 25, 2014 @ 05:26 GMT
Martin,

inputting randomness to slow change is a really novel idea. Earns some more points that you got.

Luca

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.