Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

ahlinya benjolan: on 7/16/18 at 6:27am UTC, wrote ' target='new'>khasiat walatra propolis Qnc jelly gamat Walatra bersih...

songjoong df: on 1/2/18 at 8:49am UTC, wrote jual qnc jelly gamat di magelang jual qnc jelly gamat di mataram jual qnc...

songjoong df: on 12/27/17 at 6:39am UTC, wrote cara menjadi reseller qnc jelly gamat Cara Menjadi Agen Qnc Jelly Gamat ...

Dorothy Dora: on 12/12/17 at 17:36pm UTC, wrote Your article is very interesting and fantastic, at the same time the theme...

Georgina Parry: on 8/4/09 at 22:39pm UTC, wrote I would really like to have a brief summary of the weekly discussions on...

Florin Moldoveanu: on 7/31/09 at 13:57pm UTC, wrote Hi Kirsten, I am having trouble navigating and keeping track of the...

Ann: on 6/12/08 at 15:21pm UTC, wrote yeah, why do you approve garbage posts?? for examples, see some of the blog...

Steve Esser: on 6/9/08 at 15:14pm UTC, wrote P.S. I'm sorry for the unintentional humor of misspelling "educated"! ...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Kenneth Leitner: "Stephen Hawking is a great sientist. Human always remember your..." in Remembering Stephen W....

Kenneth Leitner: "This is a great contest with good quality. My young brother join the test..." in Cosmic Dawn, Parallel...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Eckard Blumschein, Naturally provided ETERNAL infinite VISIBLE..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Eckard Blumschein: "A video shows George Smoot who got a Nobel prize in 2006. In "Mapping the..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

tony rogers: "The Chicago Cubs’ is an American professional baseball team and is loved..." in Watching the Observers

Kazmer Ujvarosy: "Markus Mueller's suggestion that the world we see emerges from our..." in Could Consciousness Forge...

Georgina Woodward: "Yes because once distance is involved the duration from signal emission to..." in Why Time Might Not Be an...

Nikolay Sukhorukov: "Calculation of the 11-year period of solar activity using the..." in Alternative Models of...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

Dissolving Quantum Paradoxes
The impossibility of building a perfect clock could help explain away microscale weirdness.

FQXi BLOGS
June 17, 2019

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: Constructive Suggestions for Improving the FQXi Community Page [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Blogger wrote on May. 30, 2008 @ 14:25 GMT
FQXi welcomes your constructive suggestions for how we may improve our Community website. Thank you!

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Kenny wrote on May. 31, 2008 @ 18:26 GMT
Hi,

I love the articles here and this site is obviously growing. Perfect for the informed non-scientist who reads a lot.

Where do I register? I looked all over the forums, which only let non-members post where there already is a message.

Keep up the good work!

Bookmark and Share

Marty Tysanner wrote on Jun. 4, 2008 @ 20:18 GMT
Hi Kirsten,

I think the fqxi community site has real potential, being sponsored by an organization that focuses on foundational issues which are important but largely outside the mainstream of "hot topic" research. That motivates my comments...

It seems the crucial question that must be answered before any other is: Who forms the community; what is the target audience? I think you...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Steve Esser wrote on Jun. 9, 2008 @ 15:06 GMT
It's a fine site for a worthy organization. In terms of suggestions, I would enjoy the articles more if they were moved a slight bit higher on the "difficulty" scale, while still being accessible for the eductated and interested layperson. This is a site which is interesting to people who really want to engage the hard problems.

Best regards,

- Steve Esser

Bookmark and Share

Steve Esser wrote on Jun. 9, 2008 @ 15:14 GMT
P.S. I'm sorry for the unintentional humor of misspelling "educated"! Last suggestion: add a "preview" window for comments:)

Bookmark and Share

Ann wrote on Jun. 12, 2008 @ 15:21 GMT
yeah, why do you approve garbage posts?? for examples, see some of the blog entries for one of Garrett Lisi's posts 'Pieces of 8'? i was having a lot of fun reading all the discussions from different scientists to Dr. Lisi, but now, at least one of the blogs for E8 is full of trash comments that were approved. really disappointing to see this kind of stuff pemeating science blogs. also, Lisi hasn't commented in a long time - guess he's busy, but someone should still remove the obvious garbage. i only have a masters in math and i can easily tell what's trash and what isn't!

Bookmark and Share

Florin Moldoveanu wrote on Jul. 31, 2009 @ 13:57 GMT
Hi Kirsten,

I am having trouble navigating and keeping track of the different discussions on the blogs. I have three suggestions: 1. Make the Recent Blog Comments box variable size and display all the new entries in the previous 24 hours. (Maybe add another one for the previous week) 2. Close the blog lists with no entries in the past 2 or 3 months and create an archive section for inactive older blogs. 3. Allow regular users to propose new blog topics. A lot of the time the discussions inside a particular blog take off in a completely different direction and are best to be branched off in a separate thread (just like creating another baby universe, ha, ha).

Thanks,

Florin

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Parry wrote on Aug. 4, 2009 @ 22:39 GMT
I would really like to have a brief summary of the weekly discussions on the members board. Or to have the ability to access their forum, without the ability to post comments there. It would then be possible to carry over discussions to the community and perhaps raise the level of the discussions on the community board, or to utilise the knowledge and experience of members to refine current thinking and argument.

Perhaps the grass is always greener on the other side. There is next to no input or response to comments on the community board from members. What ideas do they currently consider worthy of discussion or pursuit? Is there a thriving members only community or is it as sparse as the non members?

I can see no useful purpose in the community other than entertainment and PR. I am coming to the conclusion that it is currently a big waste of time.

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.