Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Orenda Urbano Hernández: on 5/30/14 at 22:01pm UTC, wrote Dear Muteru, An excellent basis to fundament solutions in the nature of...

Peter Jackson: on 5/26/14 at 16:07pm UTC, wrote Michael, An interesting and valuable contribution. It was a little...

Gbenga Ogungbuyi: on 5/26/14 at 11:38am UTC, wrote Dear Michael, I have surveyed your essay has I promised. I specifically...

Michael muteru: on 5/23/14 at 21:35pm UTC, wrote Dear Brent.thanks for the review,in the essay,i meant to reach out to...

Michael muteru: on 5/23/14 at 21:25pm UTC, wrote Dear Hristov A noble venture,will be onboard

Michael muteru: on 5/23/14 at 19:57pm UTC, wrote Dear Neil i appreciate you alot,i did read & rate your essay.This year's...

Kimmo Rouvari: on 5/17/14 at 9:28am UTC, wrote Hi Michael, Very original essay indeed! Unfortunately that wasn't my cup...

Charles St Pierre: on 5/17/14 at 7:55am UTC, wrote Dear Michael, Thank you for your essay. You have expressed many...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Dufourny: "after all like Borh has made,this universe and its spheres for me are like..." in Alternative Models of...

Steve Dufourny: "Thanks for sharing Georgina,it is nice.Friendly" in Alternative Models of...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Lorraine Ford: "With the “A.I. Feynman” software, Silviu-Marian Udrescu and Max Tegmark..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Georgina Woodward: "Coin toss co-state potentials: With the measurement protocol decided, in..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "If we correlate with the consciousness, can we consider that all is..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Ian Durham, Maybe still for the rankings and the links with this..." in Measuring Free Will: Ian...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 22, 2019

CATEGORY: How Should Humanity Steer the Future? Essay Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: LIVING IN THE SHADOWS OF THE SUN: REALITIES, PERILS ESCAPADES MAN, PLANET AND KARDASHEV SCALE.MAKING THE GREAT TRANSITION by Michael muteru [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Michael muteru wrote on Apr. 24, 2014 @ 14:30 GMT
Essay Abstract

With current population surpassing the 7 billon mark, energy requirements exponentially rise with demographics. Living in a planetary system of finite natural resources the Biosphere in turn overstretched. Humanity has to think outside the box to quench this thirst for energy within our technology means. I apply the notion of harnessing the energy of the sun (star...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Apr. 30, 2014 @ 18:06 GMT
Dear Mr. Muteru,

Although I did not understand most of your essay, I am sure that the better educated fellow essayists will be able to decipher it and rate it highly.

You wrote: "10 to the 500 power unique Quantum mathematical spaces." Unique can only happen once.

Regards,

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Michael muteru replied on May. 10, 2014 @ 18:15 GMT
10 to power zero,any number to power zero equals one

Bookmark and Share

Neil Bates replied on May. 11, 2014 @ 00:20 GMT
Joe, Mr. Muteru probably meant, there are 10500 different possible states of string recombination that are "unique" in the sense of, each one if different from the others instead of any being copies of others (like, if you had five different polygons to chose from, etc.)

Bookmark and Share

Neil Bates wrote on May. 11, 2014 @ 00:24 GMT
Mr. Muteru, I think your diagnosis is essentially correct. I like that you emphasize the need for using solar energy, and to use green methods and take advantage of biomass. One possible way to do this, is the use of the drug-free strains of industrial hemp (from which rope has been made, etc.) My own essay deals with possible improvements to the human mind, in advance of particular objective policy ideas. Perhaps one application of the willpower training I advocate will be smaller families, as well as less consumption.

Bookmark and Share

Author Michael muteru replied on May. 23, 2014 @ 19:57 GMT
Dear Neil i appreciate you alot,i did read & rate your essay.This year's title was mindbending,i believe each & every author deserves a handsome reward in points which we used our voting codes for,the rest we leave to fqxi judges.

Bookmark and Share

Domenico Oricchio wrote on May. 16, 2014 @ 18:12 GMT
Thank you for reading my essay.

I don't think that the collapse of the Egypt and Sudan civilization was due to neglected nature, I think that other examples can be the Rapa Nui civilization, the Pitcairn Island and can be the Maya (Collapse of Jared Diamond).

All the number coincidences disappears changing the unit of measure: the meter, the second, the gram are arbitrary standard definitions, so that each human measure can have an arbitrary value.

There are fossil, sciencific evidences that man evolved from apes, no logical reasoning can defeat an experimental result.

The other parts are readable, but I don't see the steering of the contest.

This year I vote only the best essays, that deserve a vote greater of seven (I don't want downgrading other essays), but your vote for my essay is honest (no downgrading, and my essay does deserve it, even thought that I do not care nothing), so that you force me (just this one) to raise your rating above my value.

Bookmark and Share

Gbenga Michael Ogungbuyi wrote on May. 16, 2014 @ 21:39 GMT
Dear Michael,

I have left a message of my thread for your reply after reading my article. I will read it and rate it as well. I notice your thread is virtually empty! Why is this so? Kindly respond to the earlier replies to keep your page inviting. You could also be busy as myself, schedule your time so that your essay can likewise count. It will well with you.

Regards

Gbenga

Bookmark and Share

Brent Pfister wrote on May. 17, 2014 @ 04:26 GMT
Michael, thank you for reading my essay. I read yours and will add a rating soon. You know a lot about diverse areas of science and philosophy. I had to use the dictionary seven times. Green is eventually the only way to go if a clean energy breakthrough cannot be achieved. My cousin does small scale organic farming and I worry about being able to feed everyone that way. I really liked the part about the Wright brothers.

Thank you for entering the contest,

Brent

Bookmark and Share

Author Michael muteru replied on May. 23, 2014 @ 21:35 GMT
Dear Brent.thanks for the review,in the essay,i meant to reach out to everyone,i don't insist neccesarily on small scale holdings.The Larger the unit holding the more efficient the outcome.Due to high populations-large tracts of land are scarce, small scale farms,are in essence what a large population own and can work on,or use Land reclammation methods to make the land arable.thanks

Bookmark and Share

Charles Gregory St Pierre wrote on May. 17, 2014 @ 07:55 GMT
Dear Michael,

Thank you for your essay.

You have expressed many important sentiments. I especially like:

"Governance will not be about oversight but foresight."

I'm not sure the earth can hold 11 Billion people. Certainly not in the comfort to which many have become accustomed.

Many religious people believe that a future earth is not the heaven they were promised, and use that excuse to despoil the earth and over-burden it.

"The greatest gift we can bestow on our offspring is a clean, beautiful, planet." The planet is our only gift to our offspring. It is up to us to improve the quality of that gift, instead of degrading it, as we have been doing.

Neither, as the Buddha says, will anyone else save us.

Best of luck in the competition.

Charles

Bookmark and Share

Kimmo Rouvari wrote on May. 17, 2014 @ 09:28 GMT
Hi Michael,

Very original essay indeed! Unfortunately that wasn't my cup of tea. Never the less, good luck in your efforts!

Bookmark and Share

Gbenga Michael Ogungbuyi wrote on May. 26, 2014 @ 11:38 GMT
Dear Michael,

I have surveyed your essay has I promised. I specifically appreciate the spirit of Africa which you did project and defining humanity specifically in your own school of thought. This a bold step that I do not think is common in this forum. I noticed you rarely space your writing. It will make your words clumsy and hence uninteresting for readers. This was also demostrated while preparing your references. This piece of product at your age is a giant stride toward greatness.

Keep it up. I have also rated you high to increase your visibility. Hope to still keep in touch even after this competition. How is Africa at end?

I am not sure you rated mine!

Best regards

Gbnega

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on May. 26, 2014 @ 16:07 GMT
Michael,

An interesting and valuable contribution. It was a little difficult to read due to lack of spacing but that was not to detract from the content. I most wholeheartedly agree the fundamental tenet;

"Humanity has to think outside the box to quench this thirst for energy within our technology (sic) means."

I suggest we also have to 'think outside the box' more to improve our understanding of nature, so advance our technology. I offer a quantum leap I hope you're interested in; The universe may indeed be quantum but also far more comprehensible that at present! I look forward to your comments.

Well done for yours, looking good in my modulation schedule. Very best wishes.

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Orenda Urbano Hernández wrote on May. 30, 2014 @ 22:01 GMT
Dear Muteru,

An excellent basis to fundament solutions in the nature of cosmos using math-physics-spirit like a tool to create cybernetics solution that are following the laws of cosmos (physics, mathematics, thermodynamics, chemistry, etc…).

Creating a reality composed by the several dimensions laws and nature of cosmos to design accurate, efficient and profitable solutions is a key issue that Human Kind may consider as a goal. Black Sky Thinking also shares that the vortex to create accurate solutions is the Human Being.

Black Sky Thinking differs with “Living in the shadow of the sun” in the definition of Humanity, the difference radicates in that Human Kind is not just a biological existence of the Hominin Species but a group of systems that lead to complexity able to self-modying and pass from the biology complex structures toward a self-designed structures of reality.

Fascinating proposal that includes and expanded, reliable and realistic solution because as reality expands the dimension of human reality beyond the sciences of math, physics, chemistry, biology and includes linguistics, education and history.

I also share a deep appreciation and respect for Africa, It is very refreshing to read that the vision of “Living in the shadow” includes this amazing continent source of Humanity and keeps being a source of inspiration.

Wish you good luck and congratulate you for the fantastic essay that was delightful to read and lead toward insightful conceptions.

Kindly,

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.