Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Lorraine Ford: on 6/7/14 at 8:38am UTC, wrote Hi Chidi, Re your post to my essay blog: Just to let you know, I rated...

Jonathan Dickau: on 6/7/14 at 1:04am UTC, wrote Interesting premise Chidi, I enjoyed your essay, and I will have more to...

Luca Valeri: on 6/6/14 at 20:04pm UTC, wrote Ups. Allmost forget to rate. This should bring you up a Bit. Luca

Jonathan Dickau: on 6/6/14 at 3:10am UTC, wrote Thank you Chidi, For your kind remarks on my page. Warm Regards, ...

Edwin Klingman: on 6/5/14 at 21:31pm UTC, wrote I have voted for you as requested on my thread. Good luck.

Luca Valeri: on 6/5/14 at 15:06pm UTC, wrote Besides I answered to you comment in my blog. Luca

Luca Valeri: on 6/5/14 at 15:03pm UTC, wrote Hi Chidi, I think you did in your essay a lot what Niels Bohr did in...

Cristinel Stoica: on 6/5/14 at 7:32am UTC, wrote Dear Chidi, I like the idea of civilizations as "expeditions in...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Joe Fisher: "Dear Reality Fans, The real VISIBLE Universe never “started out.”..." in First Things First: The...

isabell ella: "If you are facing Cash app related problems and want to get support..." in Cosmic Dawn, Parallel...

Georgina Woodward: "Quite right Lorraine, ( to be clear perhaps I should have said..." in Cosmological Koans

Lorraine Ford: "Honestly Georgina, Wake up! Change of number is NOT energy." in Cosmological Koans

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Can Time Be Saved From...

Michael Hussey: "https://www.google.com" in New Nuclear "Magic...

Michael Hussey: "it is really difficult to understand what is all about all the things..." in New Nuclear "Magic...

Stefan Weckbach: "I have a problem with the notion of time in the multiverse scenario that..." in First Things First: The...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
July 18, 2019

CATEGORY: How Should Humanity Steer the Future? Essay Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: Between Uncertainty and Entity by Chidi Idika [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Chidi Idika wrote on Apr. 23, 2014 @ 15:38 GMT
Essay Abstract

I make the case that civilizations are actually expeditions in conservation laws, expeditions seeking ever more efficient ways to preserve self by “harnessing” nature, therefore the ultimate civilization will be when this “self” namely man confronts the situation that it is in fact the most authentic i.e. de facto of conservation laws. This is in the rigorous sense that the very stationary action or configuration space or “quantum” at work in nature is man himself. Now is it possible that man is his own very quantum/uncertainty? Grant it thus: after seeking perpetual motion of all ranks and failing, humanity came to the humbling Carnot conclusion that the efficiency of any system cannot be more than 1. Next phase, humanity confronts the even more humbling thesis likely in Quantum Gravity that the very efficiency (or so-called probability) 1 —the very “matter wave” at play in nature, is its own self (the prototype “life”). Third phase, there is trouble, man would rather not see himself as an uncertainty principle but instead as the entity; the “absolute” which actually steers all of nature. Therein lies his decadence—that possibility that the ship of “self” has gone mad, against the very soul of man as we know and cherish it today. This would be then the collapse or decoherence of a wavefunction. Thermodynamics probably pictures it as heat death of the universe. The point is, for any equilibrium at all as life surely is; collapse is an ever clear and present danger.

Author Bio

I think of myself as a bare-foot scientist, often lacking in formalism but often dead on point in principle. I have no good justification for this opinion of myself other than that I often try to extract predictions from my speculations, and on my own authority they do not often fail me. I like to be free to tinker and to have the resources to build my fancy. I work as a graphic artist. I hope to create life someday (on television!). I have a B.A. (hon.) in Mass Communication.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Gbenga Michael Ogungbuyi wrote on Apr. 23, 2014 @ 23:27 GMT
Dear Chidi,

The name sounds like a Nigerian origin! Please kindly confirm and revert, in case it is, I am increasingly glad to see more Africa taking part in this intellectual debate!

Considering your background in Mass Communication, I am overwhelmed to read your article using Physics to advocate your reasoning. It is fantastic! In my article "STRIKING A BALANCE BETWEEN TECHNOLOGY AND ECOSYSTEM" which I employ you to read and consider rating I wrote about Newton laws, thermodynamics (first law in particular) and wave motion to present my points. I am happy to see more advances in this direction ever since. Kindly read and leave a comment. I wish you outstanding success in this forum.

God bless.

Gbenga

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Gbenga Michael Ogungbuyi replied on Apr. 23, 2014 @ 23:30 GMT
I am happy to be the first to rate you!

Bookmark and Share

Author Chidi Idika replied on Apr. 24, 2014 @ 02:50 GMT
Dear Gbenga,

It is really great to see you here. And, looking at the abstract, I like the spirit in which you approach the subject. I find myself looking forward to reading your essay. You can be sure I'll be at your thread to discuss it. Wishing you all the best.

Chidi

Bookmark and Share

Michael Allan wrote on Apr. 25, 2014 @ 04:01 GMT
Hello Chidi, May I offer a short, but sincere critique of your essay? I would ask you to return the favour. Here's my policy on that. - Mike

Bookmark and Share

Author Chidi Idika replied on Apr. 26, 2014 @ 06:36 GMT
Dear Michael,

Am game! Actually looking for a sincere critique. May take a while but I am sure to be at your forum soon.

Best regards,

Chidi

Bookmark and Share

Michael Allan replied on Apr. 28, 2014 @ 12:42 GMT
Thanks Chidi, Unfortunately my slim knowledge of physics doesn't equip me to understand your essay. I'm unfamiliar with most of the physical concepts, laws, and so forth that you refer to, especially in the first 5 pages or so. - Mike

Bookmark and Share

Michael Allan replied on May. 21, 2014 @ 20:11 GMT
PS - Thanks again for reviewing my essay, Chidi. I'll be rating yours (along with the others on my review list) some time between now and May 30. All the best, and bye for now, - Mike

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Apr. 30, 2014 @ 15:30 GMT
Dear Mr. Idika,

Reading your exquisitely written essay was truly an inspirational experience and I do hope that it does well in the competition.

I would like to leave a comment about it, and I do hope that you will not mind me doing so.

I have been thoughtful enough to point out in my essay REALITY, ONCE, that the real Universe is unique, once. Quantum Physics is not unique.

With high regards,

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share

Author Chidi Idika replied on Apr. 30, 2014 @ 22:24 GMT
Dear Mr Fisher,

Thanks for noticing my essay, but I still expect YOUR COMMENT. And I will take a look at your unique essay.

Regards,

Chidi

Bookmark and Share

Edwin Eugene Klingman wrote on May. 1, 2014 @ 18:44 GMT
Dear Chidi,

Thanks for your kind comments on my essay. You take a similar approach, although you note that some resist discussing life or humanity within the physics context. I appreciate your reference to Schroedinger's "What Is Life?", one of the first applications of physical analogies to life, and with startling insight.

You seem to be saying in your discussion of his role as 'constant' that man is the measure of all things. You apply many different concepts, from ideal gas and blackbody radiation to Markov process all of which seem to have some validity.

I very much enjoyed your 'chimps counting' story. You use that punchline well to set up your statement that "perhaps it is time for humanity to count itself in as among the "laws" of nature." And while I have heard the "rules of the game", I was unaware that Snow applied these to thermodynamics.

I believe your discussion of fowl, the 'agric' and the 'native' are analogous to citizens in two-class and one-class states.

Your essay is full of analogies, allegories, and imagination, and is actually as much concerned with philosophy as physics. I agree with you and with some other essayists that science and spirituality are more converging then diverging.

I found your essay a joy to read.

My best regards,

Edwin Eugene Klingman

Bookmark and Share

Author Chidi Idika replied on May. 1, 2014 @ 19:43 GMT
Dear Edwin,

Many thanks for reading this essay. And especially for your insightful comment.

Wishing you the best,

Chidi

Bookmark and Share

Edwin Eugene Klingman replied on Jun. 5, 2014 @ 21:31 GMT
I have voted for you as requested on my thread. Good luck.

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on May. 2, 2014 @ 22:22 GMT
Dear Author Chidi Idika

Sorry because too busy should not come as earlier with your essay .

Your article shows that you feel a lot of irrationality in science today and are looking forward to get more efficient solution, but it seems you still are not sure with a solution.

Analysis and your argument is very interesting, I like your choice: "I like to be free to tinker and to have the resources to build my fancy" - because that would create incentives to promote evolution.

It is true that due to the "automatic" type of my English proficiency make people feel difficult to understand, "the separation by type" that I mentioned in my article simply only means: Cats living with cats and living mice with mice , if want become as the cat or the mouse, that is depending on your choice.

10 points for your scientific passion along with best wishes - Hải.CaoHoàng

Bookmark and Share

Author Chidi Idika replied on May. 3, 2014 @ 00:38 GMT
Dear Hai,

You are always interesting. Of course the mouse (prey) will always want to become the cat (predator)! And thank you. Also for reading this essay and commenting.

On the contrary to your suggestion, am very sure of a solution. Am even surprised that people are not seeing this solution I have brought!

Too many people with solutions of their own! (lol)

All the best,

Chidi

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin wrote on May. 8, 2014 @ 12:18 GMT
Dear Chidi,

Extremely interesting essay in the spirit of Cartesian doubt and in the spirit of philosophy Pierre Teilhard de Chardin: «The true physics is that which will, one day, achieve the inclusion of man in his wholeness in a coherent picture of the world."

Fundamental science , Mathematics and Physics are in a "crisis of representation and interpretation » (T. Romanovskaya),...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Chidi Idika replied on May. 9, 2014 @ 08:58 GMT
Dear Vladimir,

Many thanks for reading this essay, and the links are interesting. P. T. Chardin especially. It says directly about my thesis. Thanks for commenting. Yes, this "brainstorming" is useful. I expect it to get even more heated with time. I will be reading your "Protogeometer: Falling into Future" in a few days, looking forward to it.

All the best,

Chidi

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin replied on Jun. 1, 2014 @ 19:05 GMT
Dear Chidi,

Many thanks for your kind comments and support my ideas. I hope that the information age gives excellent technological resources and capabilities to control political bureaucracy at all levels. People - the source of power and it is necessary to proceed from this postulate of democracy. The time has come for "Democracy 3.0". Let's hope that the journey of Protogeometer and Humanity in the future will be more secure. Thank you very much for supporting the idea of relocation of the UN in Iceland.

Best wishes,

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous wrote on May. 9, 2014 @ 15:52 GMT
Chidi,

Your game is up. I hereby denounce you as an alien being. I think the laws of this contest, like those of science (though unspecific on this matter) can be interpreted to exclude aliens. It wasn't your name that gave the deception away but your easy coherent, intuitive and almost complete understanding of nature, way ahead of what we locals call "science".

Almost no human trained in physics could see; ..."The real problem is that science has gone full cycle to become like religion-consulting some "oracle"." But the final give-away was, in the face of your clear comprehension of how the universe works, your attempt to perpetuate the belief in spookiness and voodoo, i.e.;

"And the even more disturbing thing is there is NO known logical alternative to the position currently held by quantum theory."

OK, perhaps it's for good reason. Perhaps we're still too much of a danger to ourselves to be allowed to know. I dare say you're right. But just for the record, and just between you and I, I have found, so know, that there IS a logical alternative. You see we're really not ALL quite that dim. Perhaps you should go back and tell them. Can you give me any good reason why I shouldn't expose you in the meantime?

You can verify the QM solution for yourself by reading my essay. You'll recognise it immediately. Right before our eyes was an interesting place to hide it. Of course few others will be able to 'see' or remember it even now it's exposed, as it's against their beliefs, but I'm happy to listen to your advice. Is it too early to sew the seeds, and to unify physics. Would that become too powerful and dangerous a tool for man in our present half evolved state? In 2010 I estimated we may have the vision by 2020 (see 2011 essay) but is that too early?

Thanks in anticipation of your advice.

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on May. 9, 2014 @ 16:20 GMT
OK I'll reveal my identity as long as you promise I won't be abducted or have the standard neutering of the critical bits of my neural network.

(Actually the lack of shoes was a bit of a giveaway too).

Best wishes

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Author Chidi Idika replied on May. 9, 2014 @ 20:38 GMT
Dear Peter,

Here you are! I was pre-warned some earthling is sure to go above board; on any issue at all! By the way, realize I hid under the word “no KNOWN logical….” I had you on my to-do list any way because my radar was beeping! Beeping!! Meanwhile, I will need some shoes to hide in, don't you think?

Bests,

Chidi

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson replied on May. 10, 2014 @ 15:31 GMT
Chidi,

I'm very glad you got to my essay and thanks for your comments. I'll answer there. Make sure the new shoes are big enough, I have a pair which are almost size 11 which I'll give to you. I gave up barefoot physics due to the hot sand and the need to move on. It seems many found cooler sand a foot down so are chilling their brains with it.

If you get a mo I offered definitions of detector, observer and measurement in last years essay (scored 2nd but no choccies) which I think is consistent with that of your own species. Do advise.

Very Best wishes.

Peter

(hold tight for a moment)

Bookmark and Share

Lorraine Ford wrote on May. 9, 2014 @ 23:20 GMT
Hi Chidi,

Although I thought your essay was a little wordy, I thought you made so many good points:

"The point is that entities are "gaps" in the scheme of things"

"nothing can serve as the unit for describing all the gamut of observables known to man quite as accurately as man himself"

"at the most rigorous level man is its very own uncertainty/principle"

"This...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Chidi Idika replied on May. 10, 2014 @ 09:20 GMT
Hi Lorraine,

Its good to know you read this essay. Your comment shows that you got the gist. On that part about being wordy, can you perhaps give me an instance what exactly you mean? Helps one improve.

You know some of us here met the English language as second even third language. That means we THINK IN our mother tongue then TRANSLATE to English (am laughing!)

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Chidi

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous replied on May. 12, 2014 @ 14:29 GMT
Hi Chidi,

I find it difficult enough communicating in one language - it can't be easy communicating in 2 or 3!

Re "wordy": I just meant that as I was reading your essay I thought that the same ideas expressed in fewer words might have clarified your ideas for me, the reader. But that's just me, and perhaps this is your natural writing style.

Best Wishes,

Lorraine

Bookmark and Share

Lorraine Ford replied on May. 12, 2014 @ 14:31 GMT
Above post was me,

Lorraine

Bookmark and Share

John Brodix Merryman wrote on May. 15, 2014 @ 01:58 GMT
Chidi,

This is an intriguing essay. You seem to be trying to slice through the Gordian Knot of modern sensibilities, but still end up tangled in them, as the light you sense shining through doesn't quite explain itself. So you trail tendrils of logic.

Part of the problem, as I see it, is that energy, life, consciousness is dynamic. Yet the concepts, words, models we have to describe it have to be static. So we assign meaning to that which is determinate, set, settled, organized, etc. Then everything in motion must be meaningless, indeterminate, unsettled, uncertain, organized only to the extent its motion can be quantified by direction and speed, rate, amplitude, etc. Even a moving car has no exact location.

Yet once we establish a fact, it quickly recedes into the past, as new facts keep sprouting up like weeds as all must ride those waves of action. We wish for humanity to be riding some monster wave of its own making and still steering it, but the more we push it and make it bigger, the less control we have, as it is driven from below and those on top only ride it.

Regards,

John Merryman

Bookmark and Share

Author Chidi Idika replied on May. 17, 2014 @ 15:57 GMT
Dear John,

I appreciate that you read this essay, and commented.

Am trying to get a specific picture what you mean. Do you actually think I myself got tangled in the knot I was trying to unravel? :) Could you may be ask a direct question that exposes my situation?

The way I myself see it, I do not try to proffer some cure-all solution, rather I try to point out the SUREST of dangers hence.

Many thanks, John. I'll get around to your essay very soon.

Chidi

Bookmark and Share

John Brodix Merryman replied on May. 18, 2014 @ 22:14 GMT
Chidi,

You do weave a lot of ideas into what seems to be a general theme, so I wouldn't pose a question, so much as make an interpretation. In my own entry, I distinguish between energy and information and go on to propose awareness as a form of energy, always expanding, moving, seeking. While knowledge is the form and information it encounters and gives it shape. Much as energy of youth...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Aaron M. Feeney wrote on May. 24, 2014 @ 22:17 GMT
Hi Chidi,

I am trying to catch up with all the essays to read. Yours had spirit, and I like that. However, I will admit that it lost me. In my opinion, every sentence should be completely grasped by the reader, before another one is given. If I encounter more than two or three sentences where that doesn't happen--I get lost. Now, other readers above didn't mention that effect, so maybe it's not a problem, but I think you'll agree that it's a writer's job is to include and captivate as many people as possible.

My rating should have brought you up a bit, as you deserve. However, to get a better flavor for what you were expressing, I ended up having to rely upon the work that Lorraine Ford did to extract quotations she felt were valuable. Remember her first comment? She said the article was a little "wordy." I feel that many of the sentences could have been presented more simply, and with greater effect.

In my rating comments, I offer what I think will help a given author. I hope that my comments will be perceived as helpful, the way they were intended, and I hope I haven't at all offended you in the process. I commend you and thank you for offering your thoughts for the betterment of humanity. All the best!

Warmly,

Aaron

Bookmark and Share

Author Chidi Idika replied on May. 25, 2014 @ 14:01 GMT
Dear Feeney,

In being frank you are most noble in your comment. The real reason we all are here is to GIVE and TAKE constructive criticism. Thank you for reading this essay.

But you will agree with me too that: (1.) you are trying to read AS MANY ESSAYS as possible. (2.) the thesis I have adopted is not a common or even obviuos one to take. Sometimes the subject itself is obscure and NEED MORE patience than others.

And that brings me to the next point why I chose such an obscure angle of attack: we are here to push boundaries IN PHYSICS, not literature. It is better not to choose between the two but if I have to choose I'll push boundaries than read sweetly. So I can only beg here for more patience.

I value your comment, Feneey.

Bests,

Chidi

Bookmark and Share

Author Chidi Idika wrote on May. 27, 2014 @ 23:32 GMT
Hello, Good People.

Now let me add as we approach the end of this exercise that if I had a chance to improve on this essay I will (among other things) probably make the title much more self explanatory to read something like:

DEFINING HUMANITY: BETWEEN UNCERTAINTY AND ENTITY.

Hope that makes the physics and objective of this essay clearer.

All the bests.

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous wrote on May. 30, 2014 @ 04:12 GMT
Hi Chidi,

I read your essay (and now that we have an extra week the pressure is off a bit). Your essay has interesting point and I will touch on some of them below as questions or comments. However, on e general comment (which I see was already picked up by some other commentators above is that your tried to put too much into the essay so that it is hard to follow the logic thread at...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Douglas Alexander Singleton replied on May. 30, 2014 @ 04:13 GMT
Hi Chidi,

The above was me. I got logged out.

Best,

Doug

Bookmark and Share

Author Chidi Idika replied on May. 30, 2014 @ 11:59 GMT
Hi Doug,

Thank you for finding the time to read and comment on this essay. As I expected your comment touches upon the more critical claims I make in this essay. Let me answer in the same sequence you ask, and permit me to answer in detail:

1.) “…put too much into the essay so that it is hard to follow the logic thread at points.“

I was only trying for a poetic...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Peter Gluck wrote on Jun. 2, 2014 @ 14:43 GMT
Dear Chidi,

impressively original and putting human existence so close to the basics. My thinking needs more protective layers- physics to chemistry to biology to psychology to sociology- but your approach is simply captivating. I wish you success!

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Author Chidi Idika replied on Jun. 3, 2014 @ 07:59 GMT
Thanks, dear Peter. Yours is one of the most practicable essays I have seen yet.

Chidi

Bookmark and Share

Don Limuti wrote on Jun. 3, 2014 @ 20:33 GMT
Hi Chidi,

It seems I voted for your essay about a month ago. Usually I leave a post when I vote...perhaps a little crack in space-time? More likely another website glitch.

1. I like your essay very much and wish I could vote again!

2. The story of the chimps was excellent... and yes we are still counting :)

3. CP Snow is interesting: You cannot win, You cannot break even, You cannot leave the game. However, I prefer Jerry Garcia: Small wheel moves by fire and rod, Big wheel moves by the grace of God, Couldn't you try just a little bit harder.

4. I could quibble about the uncertainty principle (I am with Einstein), as I did in the last essay contest, however we are together in just about everything else. I will use a quote from you to summarize this: "Humanity must always make conscious effort to return back to the communal spirit, the notion of an ideal man as that state of being at peace with self and nature.

Don Limuti

Bookmark and Share

Cristinel Stoica wrote on Jun. 5, 2014 @ 07:32 GMT
Dear Chidi,

I like the idea of civilizations as "expeditions in conservation laws". Beautiful essay, very original and imaginative, making surprising and intriguing connections. Good luck with the contest!

Best regards,

Cristi

Bookmark and Share

Luca Valeri wrote on Jun. 5, 2014 @ 15:03 GMT
Hi Chidi,

I think you did in your essay a lot what Niels Bohr did in trying to grasp what quantum mechanics brought in our thinking and how we could think quantum mechanics. So let me quote Niels Bohr to comment on your essay:

"We must be clear that when it comes to atoms, language can be used only as in poetry. The poet, too, is not nearly so concerned with describing facts as with creating images and establishing mental connections."

High regards

Luca

Bookmark and Share

Luca Valeri replied on Jun. 5, 2014 @ 15:06 GMT
Besides I answered to you comment in my blog.

Luca

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Jun. 6, 2014 @ 03:10 GMT
Thank you Chidi,

For your kind remarks on my page.

Warm Regards,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Luca Valeri wrote on Jun. 6, 2014 @ 20:04 GMT
Ups. Allmost forget to rate. This should bring you up a Bit.

Luca

Bookmark and Share

Jonathan J. Dickau wrote on Jun. 7, 2014 @ 01:04 GMT
Interesting premise Chidi,

I enjoyed your essay, and I will have more to say when there is ample time.

All the Best,

Jonathan

Bookmark and Share

Lorraine Ford wrote on Jun. 7, 2014 @ 08:38 GMT
Hi Chidi,

Re your post to my essay blog:

Just to let you know, I rated your essay at least a week ago (and I gave you a good rating too!).

Regards,

Lorraine

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.