Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Margriet O'Regan: on 5/21/14 at 23:27pm UTC, wrote Hello Ioannis & Theodor ~ You ask “What is the best state that humanity...

Peter Jackson: on 5/14/14 at 18:38pm UTC, wrote Ioannis, That's one of the clearest, most valid and useful 'directions' in...

Aaron Feeney: on 5/10/14 at 4:15am UTC, wrote P.S., I will use the following rating scale to rate the essays of authors...

Margarita Iudin: on 4/29/14 at 0:50am UTC, wrote Hello, I read your submission. You mention humanity, creation of a new...

ioannis hadjidakis (narsep): on 4/28/14 at 12:52pm UTC, wrote Anonymous, Georgina, Joe and Dennis Thanks a lot for your kind words. Our...

Denis Frith: on 4/24/14 at 11:02am UTC, wrote The objective is to encourage people to made sound decisions to steer the...

Joe Fisher: on 4/23/14 at 19:04pm UTC, wrote Dear Ioannis and Theodor, I thought your essay was excellently written. I...

Georgina Woodward: on 4/22/14 at 0:41am UTC, wrote Hi Ioannis, Very easy to read and clearly set out. I agree with you that...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Dufourny: "is it just due to a problem when we utilise names of persons?" in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

Steve Dufourny: "why the post about the team of Nassim and his friends cannot be accepted..." in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Rob,Eckards, Dear Rob,it is well said all this indeed.Friendly" in First Things First: The...

Georgina Woodward: "I suggested the turnstiles separate odd form even numbered tickets randomly..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Georgina Woodward: "Robert, I'm not sure that the 'thing as it is' is irrelevant. I can..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Robert McEachern: "Eckard, "You referred to..." I was referring only to my final comments..." in First Things First: The...

Steve Dufourny: "lol no indeed it is not a lot,like I said I liked your general ideas.I have..." in The Demon in the Machine...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 17, 2019

CATEGORY: How Should Humanity Steer the Future? Essay Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: How Should Humanity Steer the Future? by Ioannis Hadjidakis [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author ioannis hadjidakis (narsep) wrote on Apr. 21, 2014 @ 15:21 GMT
Essay Abstract

Culture and human logic did not manage to change the instincts of human beings and their behavior towards nature and other people. Now after achieving our goal of having the necessary, live with security, it is time to take a quality leap in order to understand the meaning of our existence in nature and the meaning of the very nature.

Author Bio

I.H. Chemist, T.V. Mathematician

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous wrote on Apr. 21, 2014 @ 22:07 GMT
Thank you, gentlemen. You reinforce my view that ensuring a sound future for humanity, and indeed for our planet and all its inhabitants, entails communication as much as any scientific or technological advancements. And you're right, the Internet provides an unprecedented tool to communicate desired goals and means of meeting them.

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Georgina Woodward wrote on Apr. 22, 2014 @ 00:41 GMT
Hi Ioannis,

Very easy to read and clearly set out. I agree with you that there needs to be education in the future regarding the responsibility of citizenship rather than mere self interest, and passive consumerism. Also the need for more recycling for sustainability and preservation of resources for future use. It was good to read your points of view.

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Apr. 23, 2014 @ 19:04 GMT
Dear Ioannis and Theodor,

I thought your essay was excellently written. I fully agree with you that it would be the best for all humanity if everyone had the same rights. Godd luck.

Regards,

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share

Denis Frith wrote on Apr. 24, 2014 @ 11:02 GMT
The objective is to encourage people to made sound decisions to steer the future. They can only do this if they take into account that the vast infrastructure of civilization, from the cities down, uses up the limited natural material resources for their operation and maintenance.

Bookmark and Share

Author ioannis hadjidakis (narsep) wrote on Apr. 28, 2014 @ 12:52 GMT
Anonymous, Georgina, Joe and Dennis Thanks a lot for your kind words. Our future is in our hands but we have to do something positive for it.

Bookmark and Share

Margarita Iudin wrote on Apr. 29, 2014 @ 00:50 GMT
Hello,

I read your submission. You mention humanity, creation of a new mind, humanity taking an interest in environment, humanity being too much concentrated on human-only problems, and so on. You probably would be interested to look at my entry. In my essay I write about the imagining, analogous imagining and how people think. I hope you will have your ideas to share.

You may look at my entry about imagining the future. I believe my essay (hopefully, you will be able to understand something of it) will encourage you to learn more about ways of knowing and to apply analogous imagining in your field of interests, say, in chemistry and math.

Please disregard any typo mistakes you may encounter.

Margarita Iudin

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on May. 14, 2014 @ 18:38 GMT
Ioannis,

That's one of the clearest, most valid and useful 'directions' in which to steer that I've read. I've picked out some key comments for me to save and not to forget;

"accept humankind as only one society consisted by all people on earth"

"the strongest obstacle that prevents us from thinking freely and without prejudice. ...(is) our selfishness."

"Because of the structure of our brain we will turn more and more to creative work and this will open us a new view of the world."

And finally, we; "act more emotionally than by logic. From the beginning of our life myths and tales introduce us to a world that is largely unreal"

If only we could better develop our usage of the incredible structure of our brain! I try to subliminally show in my own essay how new ways of thinking are possible, to rid us of old "myths and tales" which prevent advancement of understanding (and with a hint of romance!) I think you deserve a higher place.

I hope you read mine, you need little comprehension of the spooky myths of QM because a simple classical dynamic reproduces it's 'wierdest' predictions logically. Not just a 'quality leap' but the 'quantum leap' in understanding of nature to enable it.

Very best wishes,

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Margriet Anne O'Regan wrote on May. 21, 2014 @ 23:27 GMT
Hello Ioannis & Theodor ~

You ask “What is the best state that humanity can realistically achieve?”

As I say in my essay “How Should Humanity Steer the Future” by Margriet O’Regan, evolutionary biology is crystal clear on the matter. If we obey nature’s laws to the letter – one of which is ‘female centrality’ (see my essay) – we will achieve this universe’s highest existential plane, which is that state of existence in which we thrive but do so without inflicting any waste, loss or damage to anything or anyone else including ourselves as a species – in short we live in perfect harmony with ourselves & all the rest of creation.

Cognition & consciousness are both features of evolving life & in us they have finally evolved to the point where we can know not only that we are destined to be nature’s crowning work but also exactly how to achieve that state.

I would love you to read & rate my essay especially because it complements your own solutions to our currently very dire predicament so well.

Thank you in anticipation

Margriet

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.