Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Peter Jackson: on 5/26/14 at 13:20pm UTC, wrote Alan, An excellent effort identifying some critical and fundamental...

George Gantz: on 4/25/14 at 1:32am UTC, wrote Alan - What a delightful essay! I share your optimism - but there are...

Joe Fisher: on 4/23/14 at 18:07pm UTC, wrote Dear Alan Lang, Your exuberant essay was a delight to read. I was...

Georgina Woodward: on 4/23/14 at 2:57am UTC, wrote I should have said that dark energy too is a relatively new concept. By...

Georgina Woodward: on 4/22/14 at 11:27am UTC, wrote Hi Alan, that is a really optimistic and enthusiastic essay. The essay is...

Alan Lang: on 4/21/14 at 11:28am UTC, wrote Essay Abstract Physics is all around everything in the world is...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Steve Dufourny: "Hi Lorraine, Thanks for sharing,we speak about our main global..." in Till Next Time

Georgina Woodward: "Robert, re. your ""one huge mistake"- they are describing non-existent..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Robert McEachern: "They are proud, because they have solved some problems, which are..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Joe Fisher: "Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this peculiar piece of..." in First Things First: The...

Robert McEachern: "Eckard, I do have an interest in the history, but not as much as I used..." in First Things First: The...

Georgina Woodward: "The Schrodinger's cat thought experiment presents 3 causally linked state..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Roger Granet: "Well put! Physics is hard, but biochemistry (my area), other sciences..." in Will A.I. Take Over...

Steve Dufourny: "lol Zeeya it is well thought this algorythm selective when names are put in..." in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 19, 2019

CATEGORY: How Should Humanity Steer the Future? Essay Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: How we Can Steer Humanity through Physics by Alan Michael Lang [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Alan Michael Lang wrote on Apr. 21, 2014 @ 11:28 GMT
Essay Abstract

Physics is all around everything in the world is some how related to the study of Physics.

Author Bio

I am a 9th grader at McGill-Toolen Catholic High School.I have entered this as an external science project for my Honors Physics class

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Woodward wrote on Apr. 22, 2014 @ 11:27 GMT
Hi Alan,

that is a really optimistic and enthusiastic essay. The essay is supposed to include some thing about science and be optimistic about the future so you have ticked those boxes. ( Between you and me, not everyone has.)

People haven't been thinking about black holes for thousands of years, that's a relatively new concept, but that's just a minor quibble.

I think you are right about how the younger generation are going to have to think out of the box. We are going to be facing environmental, social and political issues that we have never had to deal with before. We may need scientists and engineers to solve new kinds of problems too. If we do well we may get to see all of the marvelous inventions that you envision and we may even go to Mars sooner than you anticipate.

Thank you for an enjoyable, encouraging read. Georgina

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Georgina Woodward replied on Apr. 23, 2014 @ 02:57 GMT
I should have said that dark energy too is a relatively new concept.

By the way, my youngest son, also a school student, has now read and enjoyed your essay too.

I think you might find my essay quite easy to read "Smooth seas do not make good sailors" as in part it is a story following the day in the life of a future school student. You could skip over most of the information from the knowledge Hub as it may be too technical for you at this stage and would make the essay difficult to read as a flowing journey from sunrise to sunset. The essay raises and gives solutions to some really big issues that need thinking about. Most importantly the exponential function.If you can really grasp and take seriously what that means you will be doing better than most.

Best wishes, Georgina

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Apr. 23, 2014 @ 18:07 GMT
Dear Alan Lang,

Your exuberant essay was a delight to read. I was immensely impressed by your skepticism about light. Supposedly, the most highly credentialed scientists in the world believe that light is made of elementary particles and it has a constant speed of movement of about 186,000 mps. As I have pointed out in my comments concerning Professor Timoshenko’s essay, light does not have a surface, therefore light cannot consist of particles, elementary or normal ones. Because light does not have a surface, light cannot move. Light is the only stationary substance in the real Universe.

Please keep your doubts lad. They will protect you from the abstraction distraction disabled zealots.

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share

George Gantz wrote on Apr. 25, 2014 @ 01:32 GMT
Alan -

What a delightful essay! I share your optimism - but there are some really tough problems to tackle!

I hope you get a chance to read some of the other essays in this contest - an incredible range of ideas, technical commentary in math and physics at the post-graduate PHD level, huge disagreements with big ideas contested back and forth..... Science is fun!

Keep up the good work.

-George Gantz (author: The Tip of the Spear)

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on May. 26, 2014 @ 13:20 GMT
Alan,

An excellent effort identifying some critical and fundamental issues. You'll find that physics is not yet 'joined-up'or coherent. Anomalies are swept under the carpet rather than used to expose incorrect doctrine. You'd do well to read my conversation with Doug Singleton on our blogs.

I worked with some young students to do the experiment defying doctrine by re-producing the "predictions of QM' (as Bell's theorem) with a classical mechanism. It's described in the end notes of my essay. The mechanism the experiment models is not too difficult 3D geometry, i.e.;

Spheres (as planets) have TWO hemispheres, so have both clockwise AND anticlockwise spin. The 'speed' of surface rotation (in the sun's rest frame) depends on latitude, and changes by the COSINE of the angle from the equatorial ('disc') plane to any point on the latitude circle. Now just look up Malus' Law. (But also look up my references).

Unification of physics is allowed, as Einstein's 1952 paper, and retaining a small 'reduced gauge' uncertainty. Both SR and QM are slightly more consistently interpreted, but don't underestimate the wars and suicides that may result in any changes! But it may take decades to penetrate the current paradigms. We need fresh young minds prepared to challenge assumptions (but be careful to also learn the history and doctrine to pass your exams!)

Though your essay is short I understand you had your own limits, and I find it more to the real point than most here. A good score coming. Mine is a bit allegorical and I hope you find interesting to read and also worth a high score. It should render 'QM' understandable with no need for 'spooky action at a distance and faster than light communication. Do let me know how you get on.

Best wishes

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.