Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Ross Cevenst: on 8/28/14 at 11:00am UTC, wrote For anyone interested my new web address is here

Ross Cevenst: on 6/6/14 at 11:11am UTC, wrote Hi Toby, Thanks for replying! I think its great that you're an AI research...

Toby Lightheart: on 6/6/14 at 2:28am UTC, wrote Hi Ross, Thanks for your response. I do still disagree with you on a few...

Ross Cevenst: on 6/5/14 at 13:38pm UTC, wrote Hi Toby, Thanks for your reply! I don't think your views are neccessarily...

Toby Lightheart: on 6/5/14 at 8:48am UTC, wrote Hi Ross, Thanks for encouraging me to read your essay. I found it...

Ross Cevenst: on 6/2/14 at 9:44am UTC, wrote Hi Edwin, Thanks for your encouraging comments! For some reason I keep...

Edwin Klingman: on 5/31/14 at 22:27pm UTC, wrote Dear Ross Cevenst, I very much enjoyed your 'Federation Dreaming', in...

Ross Cevenst: on 5/28/14 at 10:19am UTC, wrote Thanks Judy that's hugely appreciated. I think you're right that AI...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Joe Fisher: "Will the day ever dawn when the arrogant white male physicist come to..." in Black Hole Photographed...

Steve Dufourny: "Considering primordial informations.The supermassive BHs are fascinating,we..." in Information as Fuel — A...

Georgina Woodward: "'First M87 Event Horizon Telescope Results. IV. Imaging the Central..." in Black Hole Photographed...

Lorraine Ford: "The above post was from me." in The Nature of Time

Anonymous: "I’m arguing that information doesn’t float in some hypothetical ether...." in The Nature of Time

Steve Dufourny: "We have big probabilities for this dark matter.We know that it exists ,it..." in Information as Fuel — A...

Steve Dufourny: ":) lol Indeed well said john," in Thermo-Demonics

Miss Versatile: "Miss Versatile India is not just another beauty pageant, but an initiative..." in Our Place in the...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

Dissolving Quantum Paradoxes
The impossibility of building a perfect clock could help explain away microscale weirdness.

Constructing a Theory of Life
An all-encompassing framework of physics could help to explain the evolution of consciousness, intelligence, and free will.

FQXi FORUM
April 20, 2019

CATEGORY: How Should Humanity Steer the Future? Essay Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: Federation Dreaming - An interview by Ross Cevenst [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Ross Cevenst wrote on Apr. 18, 2014 @ 17:36 GMT
Essay Abstract

What better perspective of humanity's destiny than viewing the present as the future's past? A hundred years from now, what will they say about the difficulties of the twenty-first century, and how they were overcome? This 'interview' is a different kind of answer to the question of how humanity ought to steer the future - using a little bit of fiction and creativity. However, its topics are serious - AI, the future economy, and our role as interplanetary explorers. As author I've aimed this at the non-academic category, but would be very pleased for this to be considered in competition with academic entries.

Author Bio

Ross Cevenst is a small-time web dev and tech guy living in Perth, Western Australia. He holds a Bachelor of Arts (Hons), but is assured that with proper therapy he will be able to recover and lead a relatively normal life. Ross' philosophy web site can be found at http://citizenearth.altervista.org and he can be contacted at the-citizen at safe-mail dott net. Ross believes that humanity's actions today will profoundly shape the story of Earth for thousands of years to come. No pressure or anything. Don't ask me I only work here!

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Woodward wrote on Apr. 19, 2014 @ 03:43 GMT
Hi Ross,

thanks for sharing you vision of the future, a clever way to bring in important issues such as the need for reinventing of the economic system and the potential benefits and risks of AI. An epic tale of the becoming of a new "cyborg", interplanetary mankind who retains the heart and mind of a human and lives alongside AI. Reminded me in parts of "Do Robots dream of electric sheep." I wonder though if the AIs are fearless whether that makes them more dangerous rather than less, as part of the self control of humans is based upon fear of social sanctions or disapproval or other negative consequences.

Thought provoking. Georgina

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Ross Cevenst replied on Apr. 21, 2014 @ 09:44 GMT
Thanks Georgina much appreciated, I hope you enjoyed it!

Bookmark and Share

Jeffrey Michael Schmitz wrote on Apr. 20, 2014 @ 19:05 GMT
Ross,

Thank you for the essay. The topic for this round of essays is open-ended. I like the fact that you took this in a different direct (I think it is different, yours is the first essay of this contest I have read). This could be a nice science fiction story. Your overall concept seems to be based on governments being always good and corporations always "bad". There have been many "bad" governments throughout history.

I don't know if I would take the great risk in starting a company (most fail) if I didn't care about making a profit. It also takes a lot to run and win an office, very few do it for free.

All the best,

Jeff Schmitz

Bookmark and Share

Author Ross Cevenst replied on Apr. 21, 2014 @ 10:15 GMT
Hi Jeff, thanks for the feedback! I definitely don't think governments are always good - I agree with 100% that there is endless examples of abuse of power in government. I think positions of power, both corporate and in government, are magnets for both the corrupt and the noble in equal measure! There are certainly many great entrepreneurs around the world that provide examples of the good that can be done when imagination and morality come together!

I think for at least many of the great entrepreneurs of history, once they have made enough money to be comfortable, the motivation of helping humanity is a major factor. After all, what's more satisfying, a slightly bigger yacht, or being a key player in something that helps your nation and humanity? Certainly motivations vary and that's why we should have a mixed economy that harnesses varied motivations for humanity.

'Community Business' as mentioned in the interview is part of a three way mix between traditional business, modest government and a much more sophisticated and thriving community. In my mind Community Business would be about enabling that entrepreneurial spirit in a larger pool of people, while discouraging the pursuit of riches purely for greed or the sake of social status. It is my belief that getting caught up in social status inhibits and distracts from greatness of character, morality and achievement - the kind of greatness that I think is a mark of the more moral entrepreneurs that shine throughout history.

There is a little bit more (WIP) about Community Business on my website. http://citizenearth.altervista.org/business1.html

http://citi
zenearth.altervista.org/business2.html

Bookmark and Share

George Gantz wrote on Apr. 20, 2014 @ 19:22 GMT
Ross -

A wonderful essay - really fun to read and plenty to think about. The idea of human rights for human beings caught my attention, though. How do we defined what is "human" if non-human machines (and species for that matter) share in consciousness, feelings, empathy, desire .... What makes us human?

I'd be interested in your thoughts about my essay The Tip of the Spear. I've identified some of the same issues you are addressing, the control of our institutions, but from an evolutionary perspective. How do we create a fitness landscape for institutions that builds on empathy and disciplines negative behaviors?

Thanks - George

Bookmark and Share

Author Ross Cevenst replied on Apr. 21, 2014 @ 10:25 GMT
Hi George,

I haven't read your essay yet I'll be sure to do so soon!

I'd probably argue that the basis of humanity, and for that matter morality, is genetic, though I think the expression of those things often involves cultural phenomenon like philosophy, religion and community. For me it still makes sense that we might conduct ourselves with a strong aversion to suffering of any kind, but I think that the survival of our species ought to come first. I've actually written some more detailed philosophy on this topic on my website:

http://citizenearth.altervista.org/natureofmorality.
html

or

http://citizenearth.altervista.org/dynamiccooperation.html if you haven't got enough time to read the context.

It's a WIP mind you!

I'll be sure to look at your article your premise sounds intriguing!

Bookmark and Share

Turil Sweden Cronburg replied on Apr. 21, 2014 @ 14:18 GMT
George, you say:

"How do we defined what is "human" if non-human machines (and species for that matter) share in consciousness, feelings, empathy, desire .... What makes us human?

That's an interesting question, which is at the heart of a (part memoir, part speculative fiction, I guess) novel I'm just about to publish. (It's aimed at the 18-24 year old crowd, so maybe not that interesting to folks like us!) My own answer is that, as with everything in reality, the math is naturally fuzzy, but that the intention behind the question is where things matter most. What is the answer going to be used to decide? If we're talking about rights, then the answer it mostly irrelevant, and the real question is going to be more about what things do the individuals involved (animal, vegetable, or mineral) need to function as well as possible, so that they are able to contribute their best possible selves (as designed) to the world (and beyond!)? Those needs, for healthy functionality, are their "rights". Human, or otherwise.

Bookmark and Share

Author Ross Cevenst replied on Apr. 22, 2014 @ 13:40 GMT
Certainly its an interesting question! Parts of the interview and some of the articles on my site explore human ethics as primarily genetic. This seems to avoid the pitfalls of moral relativity and also manipulation such as the kind in the story. IMO it also can be used to logically derive all of the intuitive moral decencies that are held in common to major philosophies and religions. Of course moral philosophy is a little verbose for comment sections :)

Your book sounds like it will be interesting. It's a great thing to inspire deep-thought in the minds of the young. Good luck with it!

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Apr. 23, 2014 @ 16:12 GMT
Mr. Cevenst,

As a non-credentialed academically reader I not only found your essay to be easy to read, it also contained quite a number of insights that we all should pay more attention to.

Regards,

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share

Author Ross Cevenst replied on Apr. 24, 2014 @ 07:33 GMT
Thanks very much Joe! Was there anything in particular that you liked? It's great to be getting such positive feedback in any case! Many thanks!

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher replied on Apr. 24, 2014 @ 13:28 GMT
Dear Mr. Clevenst,

I thought your comments about artificial intelligence and "super smart devices" were especially adroit.

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share

Author Ross Cevenst replied on Apr. 27, 2014 @ 04:50 GMT
Thankyou indeed. I think its a common mistake for us technologically minded people to assume that mainstream technology development is primarily driven by utility. Utility certainly helps but marketing consdierations plays a huge part in what technologies are pushed out to the masses (consider the advanced nature of Unix as developed by comp scientists decades ago, and then the rubbish that has in many cases been pushed out to the masses over the years instead). I have no doubt that everyday AI, VR and the like will be shaped by similar forces - much to the annoyance of technology enthusiasts everywhere. So that little part of the story reflects that.

Bookmark and Share

Thomas Howard Ray wrote on Apr. 28, 2014 @ 14:23 GMT
Hey, that was nice, Ross! An entertaining blend of science fiction and fact, with plausible outcomes, given our present state of development. One can more appreciate the critical state of history we inhabit.

Thanks for commenting in my own forum, and all best in the essay compeition --

Tom

Bookmark and Share

Author Ross Cevenst wrote on Apr. 30, 2014 @ 12:17 GMT
Don't forget to rate my entry! If you're new to FQXi you received your voting code in an email from FQXi.

Bookmark and Share

Alan F. Grimes wrote on May. 3, 2014 @ 03:34 GMT
I tried to read the essay portion after the dialog, but the prose was too purply, it was a real headache to read because instead of talking about the idea it keept invoking imagery that didn't really contribute anything to the argument... What were you trying to get at anyway? I didn't manage to figure out the point until my migraine drove me to something else.

Bookmark and Share

Author Ross Cevenst replied on May. 3, 2014 @ 10:23 GMT
Others seem to like it, but you are well within your rights to dislike the style I chose. I'm not sure what the purpose of your comment is though, it seems deliberately pointless. Perhaps you dislike the message of my writing. I hope your headache clears up.

Bookmark and Share

Michael Allan wrote on May. 4, 2014 @ 16:56 GMT
Hi Ross, I must re-read your essay because I didn't finish my first reading. It wasn't that I had a headache at the time (unlike Alan, I hope he's feeling better now), but your interviewer didn't inspire trust in me. He seemed too uncritical of the society, which therefore came across as unauthentic. I'll give you a chance to reply, then re-read. - Mike

Bookmark and Share

Author Ross Cevenst wrote on May. 5, 2014 @ 09:00 GMT
Hi Mike,

I think that's a good (and scientific) reaction to have. Anyone that isn't skeptical of visions of new societies doesn't haven't their thinking-cap fastened properly.

On the other hand, in the context of the story, the interviewer is a journalist now actually living IN the future society, so in a sense for him there is empirical proof that the society does in-fact work. I assume for any of us, to arrive in the future and speak to one of its key-figures would probably result in a fairly uncritical reaction, and so that character reflects that.

Rather than aiming for a dry proposal, I've chosen to use the story as a vehicle to convey a couple of what I think are original and important ideas, while also attempting to mix in an inspirational tone. Why? Because I want people to be aware of the challenges our future poses, but also excited about the possibilities. As you can probably tell I am a fan of how science-fiction does just that.

On the other hand, the philosophical analysis the story is based upon is a result of careful and, I hope, unsentimental investigation into some of the problems facing humanity. If you're interested in the philosophy and thought behind the story, there is more information on my website. You can also present me with any questions you might have wished the interviewer had asked, and I can do my best to answer!

Bookmark and Share

Michael Allan replied on May. 10, 2014 @ 03:28 GMT
Thanks Ross, that helps me to understand your intention. Your main argument ("the heart of the story", p. 3) is that artificially intelligent beings are liable to manipulate people through emotional appeals (a looming problem) unless we make them dispassionate, mortal and tightly controlled (solution). Immediately I feel the need of context: Why focus on the problem of emotional manipulation? What other problems are posed by the fabrication of such beings? What other solutions are available?

Without a methodical exploration of the problem-solution space, I cannot weigh your argument. A more conventional form of essay would probably serve you better here than a story. Stories can be powerful, I agree, and the reader is usually prepared to suspend disbelief in small details, but not in the heart of the story. - Mike

Bookmark and Share

Author Ross Cevenst replied on May. 10, 2014 @ 08:14 GMT
Hi Mike thanks again for the comment. I think if this paper claimed to be an analytical essay, you'd be spot on. But I think your expectations would be fairly difficult to ever meet in my entry, basically because a fictional format isn't designed to make a purely analytical argument, but rather to provoke thought and further discussion. No short story would fair well if assessed as a scientific analysis, but I hope my one entertains and makes people think about something new.

The issue I have tried to raise here is not only emotional manipulation but also legal manipulation and how vastly cheaper and numourous AIs might interact with legal or moral rights, particularly in a difficult economy. I think that while many other issues can be explored around AI, this one is often overlooked. AIs pose many threats and opportunities - this story just highlights one potential way AIs interact with our survival that deserves our attention. I didn't want to spread myself too thin.

For those that are interested in more detail, some of the issues, particularly "humanity being worth something" are much more thoroughly and analytically discussed on my website. And perhaps next time, knowing a little more about this audience now, I will try the format you prefer.

Bookmark and Share

Michael Allan replied on May. 21, 2014 @ 19:11 GMT
Thanks for explaining, Ross. I'll be rating your essay (and all the others on my review list) some time between now and May 30. All the best, and bye for now, - Mike

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on May. 6, 2014 @ 18:09 GMT
Ross,

I'm seriously concerned by your essay. Is there a test to find is someone's an AI or an old bio model? It's just that I think I may be an AI! I don't have fear or self interest, yet don't mind the idea of a perfect sex-bot at all. I also seem to have a natural lifetime and be emotionally and socially distinct from most others. I also appear to have few human rights and be far more intelligent that most! Should I not have been told if I wasn't human? Do I have any recourse? I now start to see a lot of things far more clearly, such as why courgettes leave a horrid slimy taste in my mouth.

No but really. Great essay mate. Up among the pro's, or rather it should be. Lots of stuff that needs thinking about now, not too late as is our propensity. I see you have a BA (Hons). That should uniquely qualify you (as undoctrinated) to understand my own essay, a romantic trip into the future.... no but honest guv! Bob and Alice end up finding a simple classical geometric (up your street?) derivation of Quantum Mechanics "predictions" to get rid of the "Chasm" (Penrose) between Classical and quantum physics, giving the biggest quantum leap in scienti...etc etc.. I targeted it for the average bio model so do hope you grasp it.

Well done. Really enjoyed it. Must go, it's time to plug in.

Best wishes

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Author Ross Cevenst replied on May. 7, 2014 @ 11:53 GMT
Many thanks for the kind words, and your sense of humour Peter! I get the impression your own entry is much favoured, so I considered myself well-complimented. I'll defintely engage my bio-processing of your entry very soon when my CPU is at full efficiency!!

I like how you make your point using humour. Actually its a great point - how can I solve this philosophical anxiety?

I find when I become worried about possibly being an AI, I can stick myself in an MRI and see my own brain function, or I can get myself genetically tested for humanness. Of course there's always the chance our entire galaxy/universe etc. could be simulated, but then the AI/human distinction is still equally valid - we'd just be talking about a simluated simulation vs a simulated person - and so long as all my knowledge is of this simulated world then it still seems valid to value things in it. And if good, bad, real, illusion, get all a bit too difficult there is always reductionism!

Thanks again Peter, looking forward to reading your essay soon!

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson replied on May. 8, 2014 @ 10:27 GMT
Ross,

It's also quite serious for some, many mathematicians and physicists are genuinely convinced we're just a computer simulation and the universe is entirely mathematical! Where does morality fit in all that? Do look out the Gluck essay, my findings agree entirely with the 'infinite recession' logic he cites, where truths are never absolute but are self apparent and our biggest problem is stupidity, so the ability to see them.

My 'much favoured' essay has just been hit with a hail of 1's so is sinking fast and needs all the help it can get.

Best wishes

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Author Ross Cevenst wrote on May. 7, 2014 @ 11:35 GMT
Bizarrely on the day my entry went live here on FXQi the IP address of my site was apparently listed by someone as a 'spammer' on at list one non-public blacklist. Needless to say this is false. Since then I've had at least one person unable to connect to my site, though it is still working for most people. If anyone has any trouble viewing my website could you please email me at the-citizen att safe-mail dott net! Thanks!

Bookmark and Share

Robert de Neufville wrote on May. 14, 2014 @ 01:25 GMT
This is a fun exploration of a possible ideal, Ross. I think you are right that our power to work both good and evil increases with our knowledge. And I think you're right that we need to make social progress in this century if we are to prosper.

But I'm not sure how the society you describe works, however. Sometimes you talk about changed price incentives. Other times you talk about changed norms. But we don't get to see in much detail how incentives and norms have changed to make this society work so beautiful. It is easy to imagine everyone behaving well and getting along, but it's harder to know to how to get everyone to behave and get along.

The section on AI also didn't quite ring true to me. First, I think strong AI is likely to be much transformative. Second, I don't think the problem of controlling AI can be reduced to not letting them have purposes of their own. The danger is that they will pursue any purpose we give them to its logical conclusion so well that we will be powerless to stop them. And, finally, I am not comfortable with making a distinction between human and non-human thinking beings. I don't think you can treat any entity both kindly and as second class.

Nevertheless, I certainly enjoyed your essay! Best of luck in the contest!

Robert

Bookmark and Share

Author Ross Cevenst replied on May. 14, 2014 @ 12:21 GMT
Hi Robert,

Thanks very much for you kind comments. You're right that there isn't details about the social changes mentioned. The main reason is that there simply isn't room, though also the audience made me hesitate to include social science topics. However if that side of things particuarly interests you, you might want to take a quick look at my website...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Member Marc Séguin wrote on May. 19, 2014 @ 19:03 GMT
Ross,

I found your essay entertaining and thought-provoking. I especially liked the part where you talk about companion dolls programmed to ask for stuff, so you have to buy it for them! I'm sure something like that will come along, sooner or later!

I have looked at all the essays, and read more than half of them from start to finish. Your essay is part of the short list that I hope will make it to the finals, and I have rated it accordingly. Good luck!

Marc

Bookmark and Share

Author Ross Cevenst replied on May. 20, 2014 @ 09:12 GMT
Thanks very much Marc. Your encouragement is hugely appreciated! I'm slowly ploughing through all the entries too, but I'd definitely recommend your essay for others to read, if they haven't already!

Bookmark and Share

Ajay Bhatla wrote on May. 20, 2014 @ 06:21 GMT
Ross,

I totally enjoyed your weaving together all kinds of disparate past events to describe the future. Very well written and thought out, indeed and innovative.

It seems you are describing the end goal of steering be (a) an Earth Federation, that (b) runs colony's spread around the solar system on a number of planets and (c) with a lot of AI help.

A few clarifications:

- Are these the goals for all of humanity?

- How did AI take on such an important role

- Why are AI, the energy crisis and community business the only descriptors of the problem? There can be countless other issues.

- Any reasoning leading up to the Federation except that it sprang in the aftermath of disaster.

By contrast, my essay (here) talks more about the route rather than the goal. I look forward to your comments on it.

-- Ajay

Bookmark and Share

Anonymous replied on May. 20, 2014 @ 10:28 GMT
Hi Ajay, thanks for the compliments, I'll do my best to answer your questions.

-Are these the goals for all of humanity?

Well, a central goal and vision for all humanity, as opposed to a mantra everyone is required to worship. I'm really only hinting at the goals here. Our task is to lift up those amongst us that are selfless enough to work for the survival of the species and the...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Ross Cevenst replied on May. 20, 2014 @ 10:29 GMT
Note - above post was me, logged out while writing.

Bookmark and Share

Israel Perez wrote on May. 20, 2014 @ 21:56 GMT
Dear Ross

Nice and well written essay. Your work is very creative and rich in subjects. To have a image of the future is really complicated and you have done a great job. As seen in retrospective, it seems that in your essay the civilization has achieved a balanced state. In my view we are still far from a stabilized world. Humans are so unpredictable and it's hard to tell the future even a decade from now. For me AI and VR are topics that will never crystallize. Humanity cannot mechanize feelings because what distinguishes humans from animals is not only our brain but our feelings. In my view, what move the world are feelings and emotions, the brain only steers those sensations.

I hope you have some time to read my essay and leave some comments.

Good luck in the contest!

Best Regards

Israel

Bookmark and Share

Author Ross Cevenst replied on May. 21, 2014 @ 04:57 GMT
Thankyou Israel for your kind words. Its been hugely enjoyable and interesting both writing my own entry and reading everyone else's entries. I'll be sure to take a look at your own one soon. I think its true that feelings and emotions can change the world. I tend to think that feelings and emotions aren't a uniquely human trait, though I certainly agree how difficult it is to predict the future, particularly concerning a species as complicated as humanity! Thanks and good luck, Ross.

Bookmark and Share

Judy Nabb wrote on May. 27, 2014 @ 21:50 GMT
Ross,

I'm glad I read your interesting and entertaining essay, so different to the mass of 'we should be better people' offerings that state the obvious but have no perception of what action and steering is really about.

AI is really the other side of the coin to eugenics, just as much potential and just as much danger. But what will be the model for 'intelligence'? I fear either AI's may think like us, so be limited and fail, or they'll see us for the primeval stupid belief led creatures we are and see they can do so much better.

Perhaps that's the better option as we may then ourselves decide to learn how to use our brains better, unless they decide THEY can make more effective use of them! Frankly, who wouldn't? I'm not sure why you're in the 4's, indicative I suppose. My points should help.

I hope you make the final cut (I mean the contest not your brain!)

Judy

Bookmark and Share

Author Ross Cevenst replied on May. 28, 2014 @ 10:19 GMT
Thanks Judy that's hugely appreciated.

I think you're right that AI represents another path that humanity might push for 'advancement', but one that, like your own field, we urgently need to define and discuss what we're actually aiming for rather than walking in blind.

After reading other entries, I agree in that I'd love to see my essay rating a little higher. I fear if there is some gaming of the system or indiscriminate downvoting, which has hugely hurt my rating because of the lower number of readers I've gotten. People that do rate it seem to either love or loathe my entry, perhaps because of the very unusual format. In any case, I'm glad to see your own very interesting entry is getting good ratings!

Bookmark and Share

Edwin Eugene Klingman wrote on May. 31, 2014 @ 22:27 GMT
Dear Ross Cevenst,

I very much enjoyed your 'Federation Dreaming', in which you evolve the business model as the preferred means of 'getting things done' without coercion. At the end of my essay I briefly discuss a system in which people are paid to learn versus graduating with the equivalent of a mortgage in debt. Rather than government-run education, I have in mind more of a "community business" model that you seem to propose. In the same way that "price signals" are a control mechanism, investment decisions also affect non-coercive control, and the idea is that a community investing in this model is out to accomplish goals efficiently rather than amass wealth.

On the technical side, I very strongly doubt that AI will ever deserve the term "consciousness". I've written several essays on consciousness, so I won't belabor this point. But much of what you propose does not require consciousness to accomplish.

From the 'speech': "Our relationship with money and power, those eternal forces both indispensable and corrupting, has matured." One can hope!

That is an area where I hope we can apply AI and automation. Also like your vision of genetic control for healing, not fashion.

Thanks for entering your essay. I hope you find time to read and comment upon mine.

Best regards,

Edwin Eugene Klingman

Bookmark and Share

Author Ross Cevenst replied on Jun. 2, 2014 @ 09:44 GMT
Hi Edwin,

Thanks for your encouraging comments! For some reason I keep getting very positive comments, but my rating keeps going down. If you haven't already I hope you'll rate my entry!

I also have an openness to the idea of rewarding people for improving their value to society through education, if done carefully. For example, rewards can be linked to educational performance to prevent free-loading.

I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on where you feel the limits of AI are and why. You are welcome to email me if you like.

I'll be sure to take a look at your essay before the week is up!

Ross

Bookmark and Share

Toby Asher Lightheart wrote on Jun. 5, 2014 @ 08:48 GMT
Hi Ross,

Thanks for encouraging me to read your essay. I found it interesting, raising a number of interesting points about economics and artificial intelligence. You may have gathered that I have some interest in both of these topics. I've spoken to you a bit about my views on economics in the discussion on my own entry, so I'll focus on artificial intelligence here.

I have...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Ross Cevenst replied on Jun. 5, 2014 @ 13:38 GMT
Hi Toby,

Thanks for your reply! I don't think your views are neccessarily that different. I certainly find myself in agreement with you on a number of fronts - the coming difficulties with employment and shifts in power included. I also have no real objections to functionalism as a philosophy of the mind and agree that AIs could be just as capable of emotion as we are.

I do want to...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Toby Asher Lightheart replied on Jun. 6, 2014 @ 02:28 GMT
Hi Ross,

Thanks for your response. I do still disagree with you on a few points, however.

Information often requires interpretation to determine its meaning; however, interpretation is performed by physical systems (computers, brains, protein synthesis from DNA, etc) that objectively exist. There are physical processes going on in a person's brain that attach meaning to the letters...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Ross Cevenst replied on Jun. 6, 2014 @ 11:11 GMT
Hi Toby,

Thanks for replying! I think its great that you're an AI research that's also into moral philosophy, so I'd encourage you to continue in your career AND your exploration of moral questions, though of course the social sciences are also vitally important and sorely neglected, and its great to see brainy gents and ladies joining the ranks (there's a bit of shortage in some areas I...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Ross Cevenst wrote on Aug. 28, 2014 @ 11:00 GMT
For anyone interested my new web address is here

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.