Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Preston Estep: on 5/30/14 at 14:51pm UTC, wrote Dear Alexander and Tatyana, I agree completely with your central thesis...

Hoang Hai: on 5/26/14 at 0:47am UTC, wrote Dear Author Alexander M. Ilyanok An ambitious plan but still have few of...

Peter Jackson: on 5/19/14 at 15:33pm UTC, wrote Alexander, I found your essay very interesting and informative. Short, but...

Joe Fisher: on 4/23/14 at 15:22pm UTC, wrote Dear Professor Timoshenko, Light is not made of abstract elementary...

Alexander Ilyanok: on 4/23/14 at 12:46pm UTC, wrote Dear Joe Fisher, Very nice words and very interesting thoughts. Thank you....

Alexander Ilyanok: on 4/23/14 at 12:32pm UTC, wrote Dear Georgina, Thank you for your comment. Our idea is to digitize the...

Alexander Ilyanok: on 4/23/14 at 12:31pm UTC, wrote Dear Mr. Bansal, The problem "to be or not to be" will be faced with a man...

Joe Fisher: on 4/22/14 at 18:58pm UTC, wrote Dear Professor Timoshenko, Reading your essay was such a thrilling...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Eckard Blumschein: "Steve, Darwin contradicted to the view of Parmenides, ..., and Einstein..." in First Things First: The...

Steve Dufourny: "Joe,do you understand that the universe is finite like our series of..." in First Things First: The...

Steve Dufourny: "this second law is so important,my theory of spherisation and these quantum..." in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

Robert McEachern: "In the case of a polarized coin, the "matched filter" detector simply adds..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "I must explain what is the real meaning of Spherisation in my theory.It is..." in Mass–Energy Equivalence...

Georgina Woodward: "Hi Robert, thank you. I now understand the difference between decisions and..." in Schrödinger’s Zombie:...

Steve Dufourny: "lol no indeed it is not a lot,like I said I liked your general ideas.I have..." in The Demon in the Machine...

Steve Agnew: "There are three assumptions...is that a lot? The aether particle mass, the..." in The Demon in the Machine...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

First Things First: The Physics of Causality
Why do we remember the past and not the future? Untangling the connections between cause and effect, choice, and entropy.

Can Time Be Saved From Physics?
Philosophers, physicists and neuroscientists discuss how our sense of time’s flow might arise through our interactions with external stimuli—despite suggestions from Einstein's relativity that our perception of the passage of time is an illusion.

Thermo-Demonics
A devilish new framework of thermodynamics that focuses on how we observe information could help illuminate our understanding of probability and rewrite quantum theory.

Gravity's Residue
An unusual approach to unifying the laws of physics could solve Hawking's black-hole information paradox—and its predicted gravitational "memory effect" could be picked up by LIGO.

Could Mind Forge the Universe?
Objective reality, and the laws of physics themselves, emerge from our observations, according to a new framework that turns what we think of as fundamental on its head.

FQXi FORUM
October 15, 2019

CATEGORY: How Should Humanity Steer the Future? Essay Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: Digital mind - one of the ways to immortality by Alexander M. Ilyanok [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Alexander M. Ilyanok wrote on Apr. 18, 2014 @ 16:03 GMT
Essay Abstract

We believe that the world needs a different ideological paradigm. In their framework it is necessary to formulate the most important task that could indicate a new vector of development for all mankind and to provide a scientific and technological revolution. As a priority new ideology must adopt the usage of a singular breakthrough technologies to improve the man himself but not just its habitat. The main line of technological singularity formation is now focused on creating an artificial brain - the "Digital Man". The singularity point of this program could be the creation the neurochip having 1016 transactions per second and energy consumption should not exceed 100 watts per chip, which is close to the power consumption of the human brain cortex - 20 watts. This will move planned in Russia in 2045 the point of singularity for neurocomputer for 2020.

Author Bio

Alexander M. Ilyanok, born November 29, 1949 in Alma-Ata, Kazahstan PhD: technical Sci. No 098306, Moscow, April, 15, 1987 1989-1997 Director of the Atomic and Molecular Engineering Laboratory 1997-present Lead Scientist of the Consulting Center “Nanobiology” (Minsk, RB) 2003-2010 Lead Scientist of the Netwise Nanovation, GmbH (Switzerland) Professor at the Institute of Modern Knowledge Alexander M. Ilyanok, Ph.D. is the author of 8 international patent applications in the field of nanotechnology, the holder of 15 international patents. Alexander Ilyanok is the initiator of the Nanovation Technology Program in Republic Belarus and the initiator of Femtotechnology in Belarus and Russia.

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Ram Kunwar Bansal wrote on Apr. 19, 2014 @ 01:42 GMT
Dear Mr Alexander,

Your noble thoughts of an ideal digital entity is appreciated, but its scope goes beyond human existence of thoughts and actions. I would, in place, propose to digitize the human minds through evolution of it rather than implanting external facets on it.

Anyway, thanks for providing a new idea for the future humanity...

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Alexander M. Ilyanok replied on Apr. 23, 2014 @ 12:31 GMT
Dear Mr. Bansal,

The problem "to be or not to be" will be faced with a man in a new quality. Shakespeare - ancient, medieval - we bring to the future and trying to figure out how to save yourself , how to prolong life as to realize the potential to become a man eternal, universal , all-powerful - and at the same time to remain ourselves .

People , being a natural fragment of the general evolutionary process , not its end link . Evolution can and should go further, and how it will happen, depends on us.

We see three ways:

1. Regenerative medicine

Neurogenesis implement the human cerebral cortex is not currently possible . The soul of man is recorded in the branches of the axons of neurons.

Anew impossible to grow them - will be a different person.

The lifetime of the individual - it is a life of his soul.

2 . Creation of artificial human body – avatar.

Lifetime of avatar limited be the lifetime of the brain.

The brain has a protein base and requires adequate nutrition .

Create a bioprosthesis brain impossible without loss of personal identity - the soul.

3 . Digital brain - is a concrete way to immortality on recent successes nanofemtotehnology.

The brain is similar to the functioning of a computer processor.

Only the digitization of the human brain will allow to live forever .

Despite the fact that the brain itself dies, all the information that it has accumulated during the life, that is what is called human personality, will persist.

In the future, it is possible to create superintelekt . It will create a super-civilization, uniting millions and billions of digital minds in the super-intelligence through the network.

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Woodward wrote on Apr. 19, 2014 @ 12:00 GMT
Hi Alexander,

Not sure where digital man will get us. Is he going to be like 'deep thought' and we just ask him to solve our many World problems? Or is he just a figure head for human technological accomplishment? Is he help-mate or potential rival? I didn't understand all of the technicalities but I managed to glean enough to want to read to the end. You make a good point about not having to necessarily go beyond the Solar system to continue to advance.

Georgina

Bookmark and Share

Author Alexander M. Ilyanok replied on Apr. 23, 2014 @ 12:32 GMT
Dear Georgina,

Thank you for your comment. Our idea is to digitize the human brain, which is nearing the end of their life, to prolong its existence. Unfortunately, we do not see any real way transfer of information from a living brain in a computer chip.

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Apr. 22, 2014 @ 18:58 GMT
Dear Professor Timoshenko,

Reading your essay was such a thrilling experience, I may not be able to fall asleep for the next few nights. I do have one minor quibble that I hope you do not mind me raising.

You wrote: “Further expansion of humanity is only possible information –through the galactic Internet. This is due to the fact that the maximum speed of condensed matter without...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Author Alexander M. Ilyanok replied on Apr. 23, 2014 @ 12:46 GMT
Dear Joe Fisher,

Very nice words and very interesting thoughts. Thank you. We are a bit different consider the structure of the Universe and the elementary particles, including light. For example, our theory of the structure of the electron, which has a finite volume, you can view in the article “Fundamental Atom-Molecular Engineering. Part 1. Model of Electron” http://vixra.org/abs/1403.0041

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher replied on Apr. 23, 2014 @ 15:22 GMT
Dear Professor Timoshenko,

Light is not made of abstract elementary particles. Nothing in the real Universe is made of abstract elementary particles. All of space is jam packed with trillions and trillions of naturally formed real particles. A considerable number of these natural formed real particles are millions of times smaller than the abstract Higgs Boson. Each of these real particles has a real surface and a real sub-surface. Because they have a real surface, they can only travel at the constant “speed” of light. Light does not have a surface. Light is the only stationary substance in the real Universe.

Happy to set you straight,

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on May. 19, 2014 @ 15:33 GMT
Alexander,

I found your essay very interesting and informative. Short, but very sweet. I agree with and have discussed many elements including in my previous essays here, (last 3 inc. describing the IQbit last year). I shall mark it on quality and the proper criteria more than length.

One question; do you think we may should perhaps improve our usage of our own brains before trying to copy their complexity?

I considered AI research would be easier if we better understood the quanta so derive QM classically in my essay. I see you too are interested in the electron. I hope you understand my derivation, invoking spin flip, and may agree it is also of value.

Thank you and very best wishes

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on May. 26, 2014 @ 00:47 GMT
Dear Author Alexander M. Ilyanok

An ambitious plan but still have few of basis to perform - if considered on my absolute theory.

10 points to encourage for the passion of Uncle - Hải.CaoHoàng

Bookmark and Share

Preston Estep wrote on May. 30, 2014 @ 14:51 GMT
Dear Alexander and Tatyana,

I agree completely with your central thesis that digital minds are an essential component of our best possible future, and the most likely way to immortality. For many years I have written about these same ideas and have given public presentations to advance these goals, including a keynote presentation at the 2009 Singularity Summit. I'm happy to see that we are philosophically aligned on these important developments. It is unfortunate that the current score of your essay does not reflect the quality and importance of your ideas. I believe these concepts are a bit too radical for the average reader. That is a primary reason our essay focuses on enhancing minds more generally (without specifying the transition to digital), and specifies an immediate focus on understanding brains, minds, and behavior in order to address mental illness and serious dysfunction. I rated your essay a couple of weeks ago; unfortunately, some others in the community are not as happy with it as I am. Best of luck in the contest and on your minds making the transition to our digital future!

Preston Estep (and Alex Hoekstra)

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.