Search FQXi

If you are aware of an interesting new academic paper (that has been published in a peer-reviewed journal or has appeared on the arXiv), a conference talk (at an official professional scientific meeting), an external blog post (by a professional scientist) or a news item (in the mainstream news media), which you think might make an interesting topic for an FQXi blog post, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org with a link to the original source and a sentence about why you think that the work is worthy of discussion. Please note that we receive many such suggestions and while we endeavour to respond to them, we may not be able to reply to all suggestions.

Please also note that we do not accept unsolicited posts and we cannot review, or open new threads for, unsolicited articles or papers. Requests to review or post such materials will not be answered. If you have your own novel physics theory or model, which you would like to post for further discussion among then FQXi community, then please add them directly to the "Alternative Models of Reality" thread, or to the "Alternative Models of Cosmology" thread. Thank you.

Contests Home

Previous Contests

What Is “Fundamental”
October 28, 2017 to January 22, 2018
Sponsored by the Fetzer Franklin Fund and The Peter & Patricia Gruber Foundation
read/discusswinners

Wandering Towards a Goal
How can mindless mathematical laws give rise to aims and intention?
December 2, 2016 to March 3, 2017
Contest Partner: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Fund.
read/discusswinners

Trick or Truth: The Mysterious Connection Between Physics and Mathematics
Contest Partners: Nanotronics Imaging, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, and The John Templeton Foundation
Media Partner: Scientific American

read/discusswinners

How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
January 9, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Contest Partners: Jaan Tallinn, The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, The John Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

It From Bit or Bit From It
March 25 - June 28, 2013
Contest Partners: The Gruber Foundation, J. Templeton Foundation, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Questioning the Foundations
Which of Our Basic Physical Assumptions Are Wrong?
May 24 - August 31, 2012
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation, SubMeta, and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

Is Reality Digital or Analog?
November 2010 - February 2011
Contest Partners: The Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation and Scientific American
read/discusswinners

What's Ultimately Possible in Physics?
May - October 2009
Contest Partners: Astrid and Bruce McWilliams
read/discusswinners

The Nature of Time
August - December 2008
read/discusswinners

Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the author are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Jayakar Joseph: on 6/5/14 at 20:31pm UTC, wrote Dear Toby, Thank you for your interest on this essay. While time evolves...

Toby Lightheart: on 6/4/14 at 8:06am UTC, wrote Hi Jayakar, You have written an interesting essay. I do see some tenuous...

Gyenge Valeria: on 6/3/14 at 10:41am UTC, wrote Hi I drop the link again... ...

Gyenge Valeria: on 6/3/14 at 10:29am UTC, wrote Dear Johnson Joseph! (I guess those are your given names) I read your...

Peter Jackson: on 5/30/14 at 11:41am UTC, wrote Jayakar, Thanks for your note on my blog about the two modes of time you...

Jayakar Joseph: on 5/30/14 at 3:16am UTC, wrote Dear reader, More discussions posted at the following essay pages: ...

Christian Corda: on 5/27/14 at 12:29pm UTC, wrote Dear Jayakar, Thanks for your kind clarifications. I hope you will take a...

Jayakar Joseph: on 5/27/14 at 11:28am UTC, wrote Thank you dear Corda for your interest on this work, 1. Though this...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Robert McEachern: "Stefan, "This would mean that at zero, no particles can be detected." No...." in Grants awarded for...

Stefan Weckbach: "Robert, „I assume by SPDC you mean Spontaneous parametric..." in Grants awarded for...

Joe Fisher: "Dear Dr. Kuhn, Today’s Closer To Truth Facebook page contained this..." in Dissolving Quantum...

Robert McEachern: "Eckard, "I just criticize his naive use of Fourier transformation with..." in Dissolving Quantum...

Leona Halminton: "Thank you for sharing the article, I'm glad to find it here, I hope to know..." in Cosmologists are from...

country holidays: "After taking Country Holidays Inn & Suites , travel membership packageyou..." in Hyung Choi and the nature...

Lee Bloomquist: "Our understanding of wave function collapse uses the language of..." in Space-time from Collapse...

Robert Rise: "I have been interested in this topic for a long time. And I've wrote an..." in Time in Physics & Entropy...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Dissolving Quantum Paradoxes
The impossibility of building a perfect clock could help explain away microscale weirdness.

Constructing a Theory of Life
An all-encompassing framework of physics could help to explain the evolution of consciousness, intelligence, and free will.

Usurping Quantum Theory
The search is on for a fundamental framework that allows for even stranger links between particles than quantum theory—which could lead us to a theory of everything.

Fuzzballs v Black Holes
A radical theory replaces the cosmic crunchers with fuzzy quantum spheres, potentially solving the black-hole information paradox and explaining away the Big Bang and the origin of time.

Whose Physics Is It Anyway? Q&A with Chanda Prescod-Weinstein
Why physics and astronomy communities must take diversity issues seriously in order to do good science.

FQXi FORUM
December 10, 2018

CATEGORY: How Should Humanity Steer the Future? Essay Contest (2014) [back]
TOPIC: Incompleteness of Control theory in resolving, ‘How Should Humanity Steer the Future?’, while Universe itself is a Real-time Control system by Jayakar Johnson Joseph [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Author Jayakar Johnson Joseph wrote on Apr. 17, 2014 @ 20:25 GMT
Essay Abstract

While ‘Steer’ is the control in real-time, Control theory is considered as the tool to find solution for, ‘How Should Humanity Steer the Future?’, in that the Universe itself is a Real-time control system. Though Humanity is causal for the ecological imbalance in Biosphere, it is out of the Real-time control system of Universe and thus the remnants on error correction by the Sequential feedback control system of Universe effects Climate change that has an impact on Humanity. As the feedback loop of a control system is within a time domain, describing Universe with Sequential feedback control system needs an alternative cosmological paradigm that has different nature of time adaptable for this scenario and thus a paradigm, ‘Eigen-rotational Clusters of String-matter Universe (ECSU)’ is been explored to solve this. In this paradigm, as matter is ascribed as eigen-rotational string-matter continuum; the dynamics of universe is described with discrete cyclic-time in holarchical reference time. Being the universe as an infinite sequence of feedback loops in holarchical reference-time, defining an external control system in Real-time is not plausible. Thus a finite state sequential feedback control strategy is proposed for Humanity to adapt on this object and it is not a Real-time control system. This indicates that the Control theory is incomplete in providing Real-time solutions on this object, as the Universe itself is an Infinite sequential feedback control system. This incompleteness of Control theory on this object is due to the limitations in building Real-time reference data from Universe that is holarchical in dynamics. Thus in this strategy, a Virtual real-time data of Universe is proposed as the Reference data to delay the metamorphosis of earth, while the destruction of Humanity in the future is not preventable.

Author Bio

1977: Completion of medical graduation; 1979–1995: Private medical practice and software designing in Healthcare; 1988: Enrolled for post graduation study in General Surgery; 1995 onwards: Research in alternative cosmology; 2000: developed a generic methodology, ‘Triplet clustering and computing the Heterogeneous-matters of Universe’; 2006 onwards: Teaching faculty in Medical Radiological Physics, Optometry, Medical Biophysics; 2009: Completed a course on Diploma in Astronomy and Astrophysics; on 2010: Published patent applications on ‘Coherently-cyclic Cluster-matter universe model’; 2013: Updated as the paradigm, ‘Eigen-rotational Clusters of String-matter Universe (ECSU)’. Work abstract at, http://www.clustermatteruniverse.net

Download Essay PDF File

Bookmark and Share

Vladimir Rogozhin wrote on Apr. 18, 2014 @ 10:00 GMT
Dear Jayakar,

Very interesting and profound essay with new original ideas exactly very topical theme of the contest. Indeed, a new paradigm and new deep ideas, especially new eyes on the Universe as a whole, to make Humanity more clearly and firmly over his Future to the benefit of New Generations, has been building a Global System of Existential security. It is necessary to constantly study and discussion of global risks at all levels and especially at the UN level. Need to build an entirely new system of broad research and maximum overcoming global risks. For this it is necessary to raise the value of the UN, to create new structures. Suffice it to recall 50-60 years of the 20th century, when Humanity lived with new hope for the Future.

With kind regards and best wishes,

Vladimir

Bookmark and Share
report post as inappropriate

Author Jayakar Johnson Joseph replied on Apr. 18, 2014 @ 17:20 GMT
Thank you dear Vladimir,

With all encouragements and guidance from you and other, I think this work has reached to have some applicability. I need some more time to make it more descriptive before submitting to UN.

With best regards and thanks

Jayakar

Bookmark and Share

John C Hodge wrote on Apr. 19, 2014 @ 03:04 GMT
“Being the universe as an infinite sequence of feedback loops…”. I agree and have said so in my entry (section 2). It is the time element of the movement of matter in cooling flows that provides the temperature of the universe. STOE correspondence to general relativity and quantum mechanics

Fine tuning is not needed.

I suggest your paper also suggests the universe cannot be adiabatic.

“Thus the control theory is applicable only to assign guidelines for Humanity to ‘Steer the Future’ and not provides absolute solutions.” I think so, too. Therefore, steer means set goals and organization and let the feedback loops run.

Bookmark and Share

Author Jayakar Johnson Joseph replied on Apr. 19, 2014 @ 11:47 GMT
Thank you Dear John,

As per this paradigm the Universe in entirety, is adiabatic; whereas its holarchical segments are diabatic.

With best regards

Jayakar

Bookmark and Share

Georgina Woodward wrote on Apr. 21, 2014 @ 11:11 GMT
Hi Jayakar,

I'd just like to let you know I have read your essay. I'm afraid I didn't understand much of it but its good that you have brought new ideas to the table that might help with the task of steering the future in a way suitable for human survival.

Bookmark and Share

Author Jayakar Johnson Joseph replied on Apr. 21, 2014 @ 15:30 GMT
Thank you dear Parry,

This difficulty exists as this assignment is based on a new paradigm and any clarification shall be furnished.

With best regards,

Jayakar

Bookmark and Share

Jeffrey Michael Schmitz wrote on Apr. 21, 2014 @ 22:30 GMT
Jayakar,

Thank you for the interesting essay. Many years ago I worked with PID controllers and your paper brought back memories. I understand that we are inside this control loop and therefore cannot change it. What is on the outside? Why would this loop exist in the first place? It was very hard to get my PID for an industrial chiller to work, it is difficult to understand how this just happen.

We can control feed-back systems that we are within. When you put on a coat when you are cold you are changing your body's temperature control system.

All the best,

Jeff Schmitz

Bookmark and Share

Author Jayakar Johnson Joseph replied on Apr. 22, 2014 @ 17:42 GMT
Thank you dear Jeffrey,

Human is internal to the feed-back control system of the universe whereas Humanity is external to the system as it is not with the cause effect chain of the universe. Thus Humanity with the Universe is a Boundary value problem in that change in boundary condition is the Climate change that is equivalent to the remnant on error correction by the control system of the Universe. In this, the PID controller algorithm is also applicable to interpret the Virtual real-time data, while the Boundary value problem is a differential equation.

When you are in a coat, the coat became a part of you as it preserves the boundary values, while the neuro-endocrine feedback system controls the body temperature, unless there is pathogenesis of external cause; whereas in the Universe, Humanity changes boundary values.

With best regards,

Jayakar

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher wrote on Apr. 22, 2014 @ 15:28 GMT
Dear Doctor Jayakar,

Although I did not understand any of your essay; I am sure that the judges of this essay contest will, and they will score it highly. I do have a minor quibble that I hope you will not mind me mentioning.

Your entire essay concerns perfect abstract speculation. Reality is not speculative. Reality is unique. There are no perfect straight lines, perfect triangles, perfect circles or perfect squares anywhere in the real Universe. As I have thoughtfully mentioned in my essay, REALITY, ONCE, it is impossible for identical conditions to exist. Yet here you are using identical graphic seemingly perfect straight lines, perfect triangles, perfect circles, perfect squares and perfect identical abstract mathematical equations. Reality is quite simple sir. Reality only takes place here and now. All abstractions are extremely complicated.

With the utmost regard,

Joe Fisher

Bookmark and Share

Author Jayakar Johnson Joseph replied on Apr. 23, 2014 @ 07:28 GMT
Thank you dear Joe,

It is true that an eigen-rotational string-segment cannot be in perfect straight line in real-time, in that the T-brane is only a model of abstract algebraic structure in a time domain. Tetrahedral transformation of an eigen-rotational string-segment in time evolves with String dilation; substituting the Length contraction in Time dilation, measured by an observer in Corpuscularianism.

Though in reductionism it appears as if identical, while in real-time uniqueness exists with every eigen-rotational string-segment in the holarchy and thus 'Reality Once' is true.

With best regards,

Jayakar

Tetrahedral transformation with string dilation that evolves T-brane in real-time, is illustrated in the following pregeometry sketches, is attached herewith:

attachments: Tetrahedral-brane.pdf

Bookmark and Share

Joe Fisher replied on Apr. 23, 2014 @ 14:46 GMT
Dear Jayakar,

I wish I had your gracious tactfulness.

Joe

Bookmark and Share

Author Jayakar Johnson Joseph wrote on Apr. 27, 2014 @ 07:53 GMT
Dear Readers,

Thought experimentation to declare the axioms of this paradigm is been described in the attached file, for more clarity.

Thank you.

Jayakar

attachments: Experimentation_on_Holarchical_discreet_cyclic-time.pdf

Bookmark and Share

Author Jayakar Johnson Joseph replied on May. 3, 2014 @ 03:19 GMT
Dear Reader,

For better clarity on this work, you may read my comments with the following essays.

(1.) 2016, (2.) 2034, (3.) 2035, (4.) 2049, (5.) 1982, (6.) 2124, (7.) 2130

Thank you.

Jayakar

Bookmark and Share

Author Jayakar Johnson Joseph replied on May. 12, 2014 @ 02:53 GMT
Dear reader,

In this link you may find it is imperative to explore for an alternative cosmology, that is in support of this work.

Thank you

Jayakar

Bookmark and Share

Author Jayakar Johnson Joseph replied on May. 13, 2014 @ 13:01 GMT
Dear reader,

Further discussions posted at the following essay pages:

(8.) 2141, (9.) 2139, (10.) 2128, (11.) 2127, (12.) 2122, (13.) 2120, (14.) 2119, (15.) 2118

Thank you.

Jayakar

Bookmark and Share

Cristinel Stoica wrote on Apr. 28, 2014 @ 07:01 GMT
Dear Jayakar,

I find very important that mankind is an open system, deeply connected with the rest of the universe. Nice application of control theory.

Best regards,

Cristi

Bookmark and Share

Author Jayakar Johnson Joseph wrote on Apr. 28, 2014 @ 09:56 GMT
Thank you dear Cristinel

With best regards,

Jayakar

Bookmark and Share

Hoang cao Hai wrote on May. 15, 2014 @ 16:34 GMT
Dear Uncle Jayakar

An interesting solution with a sincere desire and the expressions very extensive - it is still very familiar style of uncle as the previous times - 10 points to express admiration for the love to science of uncle .

Hải.CaoHoàng

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson wrote on May. 24, 2014 @ 16:39 GMT
Jayakar,

I see most have steered clear of your essay. Such is the fate of alternative cosmologies however weak the present patch up. As an astronomer and observational cosmologist also with other professional qualifications we may be somewhat alike. I certainly agree your cosmological model has significant merit and is indicative of the long term future. I've recently had a paper on an alternative cyclic galactic and cosmological model accepted and after the contest I'd like us to compare notes as there appears to be good potential commonality. A preprint is here; A Cyclic model of Galaxy Evolution, with Bars.

That model leaves the way open for escape routes as long as we advance technologically. The present rut theory is stuck in needs to be escaped! which is what my essay is about, applying the same mechanism to show how physics can be unified. I hope you'll agree both our essays are worth top marks. I greatly look forward to your comments.

Well done and best wishes in the contest. I look forward to looking more closely.

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Peter Jackson replied on May. 30, 2014 @ 11:41 GMT
Jayakar,

Thanks for your note on my blog about the two modes of time you employ, which I agree. I responded as follows;

"Interesting. As 'displacement' is always 'relative' (everything is at rest in it's own rest frame) I wonder then if you can't then also describe that relative time as 'apparent' time? i.e. A clock moving towards or away from you always appears to run faster or slower simply due to the Doppler shift of it's emissions. Your model then looks not only very self consistent but also consistent with a 'Truth Function Logic' (hierarchy) based approach."

Do comment. I also appreciate your response the Christian's questions below, and particularly your agreement of a cyclic cosmology. I'm pleased my score can move your total up. There do seem to be more consistencies in our descriptions than superficially apparent. I wonder how much more consistent than the standard model do derivations have to be before mainstream doctrine will release it's grip?

I hope you'll now make it into the final cut.

Peter

Bookmark and Share

Christian Corda wrote on May. 26, 2014 @ 12:42 GMT
Hi Jayakar,

It is a pleasure to re-meet you here in FQXi. Congrats, you wrote is an interesting and peculiar Essay. Here are my comments/questions:

1) Your statment that the Universe itself is a Real-time control system looks consistent with the anthropic principle.

2) Why do you claim that “considering the universe as a control system that regulates itself in entirety and not in isolated localities contradicts the Big Bang cosmology”? In fact, the Big Bang is NOT an explosion in a point in the space. It is the whole spacetime which was originally reduced in infinitesimal form instead.

3) There are at least 3 kinds of Riccati equations. Which one are your considering here?

4) You claim that “the Singularity theory on Big bang and Big Crunch does not support Spontaneous feedback control of Universe and this indicates that the dynamics of universe is in Holarchical cyclic-time”. Actually, there are cyclic universes which admit both of Big bang and Big Crunch.

5) I do not understand why you use Planck time unit if you does not admit the existence of singularities. Actually, the Planck scale is used in order to take into account quantum effects when classical singularities are approached.

6) Your statement that “the Universe is a control system of infinite feedback loops and the impact of Humanity on universe disseminates through its infinite sequential feedback control loops while the remnants on error correction by the feedback control effects as Climate change” is in full agreement with the anthropic principle.

7) Concerning environmental regulations, which is the role of nuclear energy in such regulations?

In any case, you wrote a very beautiful Essay. I will give you an high score.

I wish you best luck in the Contest.

Cheers,

Ch.

Bookmark and Share

Author Jayakar Johnson Joseph replied on May. 27, 2014 @ 11:28 GMT
Thank you dear Corda for your interest on this work,

1. Though this paradigm is in consistent with the anthropic principle, the multiverse scenario is not in correspondence with the holarchical segments of tetrahedral-branes by eigen-rotational string-matter continuum. Also the atypical earth, expressional by this paradigm is in favour of Fermi paradox.

2. This paradigm is not an...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Christian Corda replied on May. 27, 2014 @ 12:29 GMT
Dear Jayakar,

Thanks for your kind clarifications.

I hope you will take a change to read and comment my Essay.

Cheers,

Ch.

Bookmark and Share

Gyenge Valeria wrote on Jun. 3, 2014 @ 10:29 GMT
Dear Johnson Joseph! (I guess those are your given names)

I read your essay with curiosity! Albeit what you had written in your essay is a bit too technical, I think it deserves for a higher score due to its relevancy and written quality. (What conditions was predetermined for the rating policies at this contest.) I'm opposed to lower someone's score just because one who reads an essay...

view entire post

Bookmark and Share

Gyenge Valeria replied on Jun. 3, 2014 @ 10:41 GMT
Hi I drop the link again...

http://web.archive.org/web/20090902000614/http://bio
holography.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/life-cycling-
of-a-whole.pdf

Life cycling of a Whole

Bookmark and Share

Toby Asher Lightheart wrote on Jun. 4, 2014 @ 08:06 GMT
Hi Jayakar,

You have written an interesting essay. I do see some tenuous connection with my entry discussing reinforcement learning and Markov decision processes in the context of morality.

I have a couple of questions I would be interested in having some plain English answers to.

Have you taken a literal interpretation of the phrase "steer the future" to mean something like "control the flow of time"?

Your virtual real-time control, that places humanity in the system as the controller, is interesting. I would say that humanity is a part of the Earth system and environment too.

Do you see practical implications of your findings/discussion in how society should govern itself or what sort of society we should strive for?

Cheers,

Toby

Bookmark and Share

Author Jayakar Johnson Joseph replied on Jun. 5, 2014 @ 20:31 GMT
Dear Toby,

Thank you for your interest on this essay.

While time evolves with the dynamics of eigen-rotational string-matter continuum, the discrete holarchical cyclic-time is the intrinsic property of the universe, in that Humanity has impact on the occurrence time of events and not on the flow of time. Thus "steer the future" is the control of occurrence time of events in the Earth system.

Humanity cannot control the universe instead the Universe controls Humanity by natural disasters.

There is no 'virtual real-time control' described in this paradigm. Virtual real-time data is the observation data of events in discrete holarchical cyclic-time; that provides reference data to assign a control strategy (not control system) for the environment to delay the impact of Humanity with the Universe that effects climate change, in that Humanity is out of the earth system and not a controller.

While on implication of environmental regulations by this control strategy, improved forecasting and minimising climate change are the definitive benefits out of this.

With best regards,

Jayakar

Bookmark and Share

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.